Snow White (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Snow White (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I thought Belle's yellow dress was fine, but I didn't care for the wedding dress. And this doesn't look as bad as the dramatics are making it out to be either. But the only live-action remake outfit I actually loved was Jasmine's pink and gold outfit in Aladdin.

To me, the worst dresses are between Cinderella and the hideous one we saw for Ariel recently (the one that was pink and yet looked nothing like the pink dress from the original film--and wasn't even different in a way that was flattering to the actress, it was just plain ugly all the way around).
Ok, we've fought about this before, but I think because we have become forum friends, we can talk very nicely about this now. If you don't consider me a friend, ok, but, I still know you want to speak nicely to me, and I hope you don't find this mean, but a friendly discussion!

I want to get to the bottom of the live-action dress debate!

First of all, I thought Jasmine's pink dress, while overall lovely in effect, was, in detail, all these lines crossing and even some color-blocking that was just altogether all over the place! But that is my opinion. I didn't like many costumes in Aladdin.

Ok, Cinderella's dress. Why is it one of the worst? It's got a delicately draped neckline that also serves as puffy sleeves with a nice off-the-shoulder effect, at least in some scenes it is off-the-shoulder, which always looks beautiful. Yes, it has butterflies, but they are not huge, they are small details, and they don't look bad. And the skirt may seem plain, but it has many, many pleats going all the way around. Here, you can see the pleats as she enters the ballroom:

Ok, so her sleeves sometimes look bad in a shapeless way. They kind of look like horizontal tear drops, like triangles:

But sometimes they have more shape to them, kind of tightly gathered on her neckline, and flairing bigger on her shoulders:

How is Cinderella's dress in any way egregiously ugly? I'd say the worst thing you can say about it is it's plain, which was the point -it's simple, like the character is supposed to be. The costume designer said that was why she made it that way. Do you find the butterflies egregious? Is that it? They're small, not that many, and not even that noticeable except in extreme close-ups!

So, I explained why I found the dress beautiful, in fact I think it's the best live-action Disney dress, why do you think it's one of the worst?

Now Belle's dress. It has a vertically layered bodice with a horizontally layered stomacher (the middle of the bodice). I don't mind those, really, though I'd rather a more historically accurate bodice, with 3/4 sleeves. Actually I'd like a way more historically accurate dress, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm trying to make a point about what's pretty. The next element of Belle's dress is of course the skirt and overskirts. The skirt of course would be fine if it had some structure to it, but it doesn't. And the overskirts. They are cut straight across, making rectangles! Here is Belle entering the ballroom. Belle's dress looks flat. It looks better in motion, where the overskirts are lifted a bit, but when the dress is still, the overskirts just hang there, and they look ugly to me! The overskirts are like flat, hanging triangles!:

Another case of the dress looking flat when still:

I said it looks better in motion, and it does. I suspect it's because it makes her dress look like it has structure to it, because the skirts going out give an appearance of volume:

So, I have made my case for why I think Cinderella's dress is not the worst, and Belle's is one of the worst. But the worst one is Ariel's pink and white monstrosity. I have no idea why that dress looks so bad when it's from Colleen Atwood, who I have never seen a bad costume from, though I have not seen nearly all of her work. I am so sorry Ariel got treated so badly when she's one of Disney's best characters. Oh well, I like all of the original Ariel's dresses, the most important ones!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think of us as friends.

I don't like the Cinderella dress because it's so poofy and wide, I just don't care for it. All else I can think to say is that for me there's a little too much going on for me both at the top and bottom of Lily James (from all the curls in her hair to the poofy arm straps, then the bottom half looking a bit flower-esque the way it floods outward so wide--it makes me think of the flowers dancing in Fantasia). That said, a lot of this has to do with expectation, too. I never liked Belle's gold dress (yellow and gold just aren't colors I'm drawn to--they're kind of my least favorite colors, tbh), and so some changes to it didn't really bother me--it still shines like gold in the film to me and I like the accent designs on her dress and the Beast's outfit. Probably the weakest part are the arm straps. Whereas Cinderella's silver ballgown from the animated film is my favorite dress along with Tiana's bayou wedding dress. Even if I had hated the live-action dress for Belle like so many here do, I still wouldn't have felt as strongly about it because the animated dress was never one of my highlights. *shrug* But I do like Belle's dress in the remake.... I know that's an UO on this site, although I'm not sure it's the general consensus of people who've seen the film.

Oh, and I was thinking I should point out which Jasmine outfit I was referring to, since she has two pink-ish ones. The one I love is the one with the gold and green accents alongside the pink all over, with the beautiful necklace and tiara. That one is so beautiful. The green outfits and purple one from "Speechless" are both fine, but that one was a standout for me. I don't really like most of Jasmine's outfits in the animated film--only her purple outfits do I love (and, cheating here, her wedding dress from the DTV sequel King of Thieves).

At least we can agree on the awful Ariel dress. I'm actually not crazy about most of animated Ariel's outfits... I mean, I love her mermaid look (red / purple / soft green), but that's really just her body and some seashells. :lol: The sea foam dress is pretty when it's sparkling. The wedding dress is probably my favorite, even with how dated it is. The blue dress I like best when she's on the boat talking to Eric just before the end of the third day because she doesn't have the huge bow there. The pink dress is okay. So I would've been okay with something completely new for Ariel, but what they came up with doesn't flatter Halle Bailey at all.

It's funny we don't really nitpick the men's outfits. I like both Madden's and Stevens' dancing outfits.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yay we're friends!

Oh, huh. I thought you would like a poofy dress. I mean, Cinderella's animated silver one is really poofy. Not in all scenes, actually, thanks to some inconsistency based on the live-action reference dress which wasn't that poofy, but in the scene where she transforms, and also the scene where she looks in the fountain, the skirt is very wide and big. That's what the costume designer for the live-action wanted to keep, though yes, she made it even bigger.

I objectively think Belle's animated gold dress is Disney's best dress. It took me a while to think that, because Cinderella's was and always will be my favorite, but now I think Belle's wins. Though I flip-flop between hers and Cinderella's because it's so close.

I feel very confident in saying most people actually prefer Cinderella's live-action gown to Belle's live-action gown. YouTube has videos on why Belle's dress I bad, and I've seen a lot of Twitter and Instagram comments confirming what I have gathered people feel about the dresses. Just look up The Costume Vault's article "Burning Question: What's Wrong with Belle's Gown?"

I am pretty sure we were thinking of the same pink Jasmine dress. The one where she walks down the stairs, with Rajah behind her? I have the problems with it I already said.

I have always loved Ariel's outfits. I don't know what the live-action filmmakers are thinking!

Thank you for nicely discussing this subject with me, and explaining why you feel the way you do! I finally get you on this issue...at least better now!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Wait, Halle Bailey in Ariel's pink dress has been posted? Does anyone have a link? I have to get ready for work!! <3
Disney's Divinity

blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Thank you!!!! I remember that now. I appreciate it; my memory is crap.
Disney's Divinity

Speaking of news I'd read elsewhere while the site was down, there was some actor cast in the role of Grumpy. So that confirms the Dwarfs will still be in this, I suppose? If so, then I think this movie will be fine with Gal Gadot, the music, and so on. The idea of cutting the Dwarfs was just so nuts. Now it's really just the changes to the Prince to make him more Robin Hood-esque that I don't care for, but that's not as big a deal.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Yes, actor Martin Klebba revealed at a fan convention he'll be Grumpy in the film. Curiously, he basically played the same role in Mirror Mirror, even though the dwarfs' names and personalities were a bit different in that movie. Perhaps the people at Disney liked his performance there and thought they didn't need to search any further. I'm not sure this news confirms the characters will be dwarfs in the remake, though. Maybe he'll be (or just voice) a magical creature. Or perhaps some will be dwarfs and others won't. However, it does seem to confirm the characters will keep their original names. Well, unless he just meant he's playing the remake's equivalent of Grumpy.

Rachel Zegler also revealed on July 13 she had wrapped filming on Snow White.

And here's a possible early logo for the movie, which seems to confirm the DisInsider's rumor that it would be called just "Snow White":
293217326_562165122231324_7521497241184144966_n.jpg
293217326_562165122231324_7521497241184144966_n.jpg (33.88 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf9y5ZcLjGq/
Disney's Divinity

Oh, I love that logo! Both this and the TLM logo are very pretty, surprisingly! Refreshing to have something different than the non-stop gold logos for everything.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I'm not sure this news confirms the characters will be dwarfs in the remake, though. Maybe he'll be (or just voice) a magical creature. Or perhaps some will be dwarfs and others won't.
Either way, it's a mess.
D82 wrote:And here's a possible early logo for the movie, which seems to confirm the DisInsider's rumor that it would be called just "Snow White".
I like the shortened title. It suits the story regardless whether dwarfs are in it or not. The logo is OK, I guess. The font is a little plain and there's not enough space between the two words, but I suppose it could have been worse.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
veu
Limited Issue

Post by veu »

Disney's Divinity

How pretty! I guess this means that Gal Gadot will also be dressed pretty faithful just like Zegler has been. And another sign there will dwarfs? I'm only taking this as a sign because the Prince looks different, which we already knew would be the case because the biggest changes were with him (making him more of a Robin Hood character).

A shame they didn't keep the look with him since that was my favorite Walt prince. It's Phillip and Charming I never liked. That said, if all that's the case, this may end up in the decent column with Hunchback and Pinocchio after all, unlike TLM. Hercules' fate is still up in the air for now, until we know if the soundtrack and Muses are a part of it or not.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's very pretty! I love the Prince's costume and the mirror. I hope the castle doesn't look exactly like that muddle of towers, though.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

That is pretty, indeed. I'm guessing they will announce a release date during the upcoming D23 expo.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Disney's Divinity wrote:That said, if all that's the case, this may end up in the decent column with Hunchback and Pinocchio after all, unlike TLM. Hercules' fate is still up in the air for now, until we know if the soundtrack and Muses are a part of it or not.
I have to say I'm entertained by your ability to compare the quality of four movies that haven't been released, two of which the cameras haven't even started rolling on.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

When you know things like the approach a movie is taking or the talent attached or you've seen a trailer, you can know beforehand whether it will appeal to you or not.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

We've seen enough remakes at this point to know what decisions lead to decent ones versus bad ones. If it's imitating Mulan and pretending to be a straight remake while making major changes to the cast, cutting main characters, excising the soundtrack--it's pretty easy to predict 9 to 10 it's going to be utterly irredeemable trash. Sorry if that offends!

It's the same way you avoid films that cast actors you know are awful at acting...
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Knowing whether a movie will appeal to you or not is different that passing judgment on the Hunchback remake which literally doesn't even have director yet. But because of some arbitrary thing like someone in an interview saying "It'll stay true to the original" suddenly it's officially a good movie. I'm all for people enjoying what they want, but come on.
Disney's Divinity

It's more because we know Josh Gad will likely be the lead. I think that's a good choice, and a sign they plan to keep the music if it's made. And, anyway, you miscounted. I was talking about 5 movies that aren't out yet, not 4.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

lord-of-sith wrote:Knowing whether a movie will appeal to you or not is different that passing judgment on the Hunchback remake which literally doesn't even have director yet. But because of some arbitrary thing like someone in an interview saying "It'll stay true to the original" suddenly it's officially a good movie. I'm all for people enjoying what they want, but come on.
I'm the same way as you, in that I need to see the movie in context before having an overall opinion on it. After all, filmmakers do create movies to be seen and judged in context. It's why editing is one of the most important parts of filmmaking, as a potentially exciting premise can wind up boring if it's not paced well. And that's not something you can gauge from interviews and trailers.

And in the case of the Disney remakes, my opinion on them is strangely inconsistent. I really liked Cinderella, Mulan and Lady and the Tramp, but was disappointed in Dumbo. I didn't care too much for The Lion King, Aladdin and The Jungle Book, but I enjoyed Beauty and the Beast. I liked Cruella, but was very underwhelmed by Maleficent. So I honestly have no idea where I will stand on one of the Disney remakes/spin-offs, no matter if it's a faithful retelling, doing its own thing or doing a villain origin story. So I'm definitely curious how I will feel about Pinocchio in a few weeks.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland