The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

I think Disney also wants their classic remakes to be more serious than films like Alvin and the Chipmunks, D82.

DisneyFan09, the term is Black for people of Halle Bailey's race, since not all Black people are American. Also, usually Disney's live-action remakes don't get making-of books. The closest things I know of were the sections about Maleficent, Cinderella, and Beauty and the Beast in the making-of books for their original films. Is that what you meant, that you think The Little Mermaid will get a book like those?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Live Action remakes do get Art and Making of books sometimes:

The Art and Making of Aladdin https://a.co/d/b0v0lHJ

The Art and Making of The Lion King: Foreword by Thomas Schumacher, Afterword by Jon Favreau (Disney Editions Deluxe (Film)) https://a.co/d/5rvP6sv

If I had to guess, there will be an art book for the remake, and I don't think they'll release an art book for the original cause there barely is one. I also suspect they wouldn't want to remind people that the original exists.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I’m still curious how they will represent Ariel now in the parks, especially the meet and greets. Will white Ariel and black Ariel each get her own queue? Will they take turns greeting guests? Will their photos be outside the venue to indicate to parents “which” Ariel their children will find inside? Which Ariel will appear in parades and shows like Fantasmic? Or character dining? I guess they faced this before when they had “original” Maleficent and Angelina Jolie’s Maleficent appear in the parks or the Tim Burton versions of the Alice in Wonderland characters.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

On the one hand, the live action versions of the characters are short lived, on the other hand, Disney will face backlash if they allow Black Ariel to disappear. I'm guessing both versions will have to co exist from now on.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:32 pm DisneyFan09, the term is Black for people of Halle Bailey's race, since not all Black people are American.
True, but I don`t like to use the term black for people who are dark-skinned who are not African-American. Mostly because I find it offensive and degrading.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:51 pm Live Action remakes do get Art and Making of books sometimes:

The Art and Making of Aladdin https://a.co/d/b0v0lHJ

The Art and Making of The Lion King: Foreword by Thomas Schumacher, Afterword by Jon Favreau (Disney Editions Deluxe (Film)) https://a.co/d/5rvP6sv
The Jungle Book and Dumbo each got one too:
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Jungle-Book- ... 608877914/
https://www.amazon.com/Dumbo-Visual-Com ... 368024416/

The most recent Art of books for Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Beauty and the Beast had sections dedicated to the remakes and introductions by their directors or producers. I think they count too.
https://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney%C2%9 ... 484737695/
https://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Dream- ... 423199022/
https://www.amazon.com/Wish-Your-Heart- ... 484713265/
https://www.amazon.com/Tale-Old-Time-An ... 484758374/

Interestingly, the newest edition of The Art of Mulan did not include the remake:
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Mulan-Disney ... 368018734/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't think you said anything wrong, DisneyFan09. :) Halle Bailey is American. Black and African American are interchangeable (there's also PoC, too, I believe) in the U.S., the same way White and Caucasian are.

I thought the drawings on the coloring books were awful. They'd be better if they took screenshots than ugly drawings; sort of the same situation with hand-drawn clipart of 3D films as it is here with hand-drawn work of a live-action film, they never look "right" hand-drawn. Maybe if they had someone more talented doing the drawings.

As for the parks, I'd be surprised if TLM 2023 isn't forgotten in 4 months after its release like all the other remakes. Even more likely considering it looks as awful as Mulan 2020. The same will happen with the live-action Snow White 2023, too, although it doesn't look quite as bad (pending) since we know they've kept most of the songs, costumes, and characters from the original film, the Prince being the only offender. Someone had confirmed a while back that they were hired for one of the Dwarfs, so even if they're not in the title, they should still be there.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:04 pm I don't think you said anything wrong, DisneyFan09. :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:04 pmI thought the drawings on the coloring books were awful.
I didn't like those either. I only found the Guide to Merfolk one decent.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Refresh my memory - did the books for the other remakes have drawings on the covers instead of screenshots?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I think these were the covers:

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyFan09 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:50 am
Disney Duster wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:32 pm DisneyFan09, the term is Black for people of Halle Bailey's race, since not all Black people are American.
True, but I don`t like to use the term black for people who are dark-skinned who are not African-American. Mostly because I find it offensive and degrading.
People who descend from Africa but are not American want to be called Black, but so do people who descend from Africa but are American. Black is the proper term. If I'm wrong, please someone tell me.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Duster wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:34 pm
DisneyFan09 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:50 am
People who descend from Africa but are not American want to be called Black, but so do people who descend from Africa but are American. Black is the proper term. If I'm wrong, please someone tell me.
It may be the proper term in the US or English speaking countries, it might be an offensive term in other countries. I know in my country it would probably be offensive or at least weird. I believe DisneyFan09 is from Norway? Might not be acceptable to call people "Black" there.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, ok. Also, thank you and everyone who told me about the Art of and Making of Books for the live-action remakes.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Thanks Sotiris + Farerb for those book covers! I wonder what their thought process is for each book, when they use a screenshot or live action clip art vs a drawing.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Farerb wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:50 pmI believe DisneyFan09 is from Norway? Might not be acceptable to call people "Black" there.
Yes, I`m from Norway. And believe it or not, it`s acceptable to use the term black here. From my personal opinion, I find it degrading and offensive to use it. Which is the reason for why I never use it.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

carolinakid wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:17 am I’m still curious how they will represent Ariel now in the parks, especially the meet and greets. Will white Ariel and black Ariel each get her own queue? Will they take turns greeting guests? Will their photos be outside the venue to indicate to parents “which” Ariel their children will find inside? Which Ariel will appear in parades and shows like Fantasmic? Or character dining? I guess they faced this before when they had “original” Maleficent and Angelina Jolie’s Maleficent appear in the parks or the Tim Burton versions of the Alice in Wonderland characters.
The only Ariel that is going to be in the parks is the original one. They didn't include Lily Jame's Cinderella or Emma Watson's Belle so I think that they're not gonna do it right now.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Thumper_93 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:43 pm The only Ariel that is going to be in the parks is the original one. They didn't include Lily Jame's Cinderella or Emma Watson's Belle so I think that they're not gonna do it right now.
But this time it's a different situation.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Nah, I don't think this remake will be treated any different than the others. It will be popular in theaters, make tons of money, people will talk about it. Then, it will come to Disney+ and then, Blu-ray, 4K, DVD etc, and then, it will slowly be forgotten, just like the other ones. Sure, people will still watch it, but the original one will be the go-to version.

Same thing will happen to Snow White. Even if they say that the new version of the character is what the audience expects nowadays, people will still remember the original one.