The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Vlad »

That is exactly why other people's opinions on any matter doesn't matter to me. If I like it, that's all that matters.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

@Toky: Yeah, "woke" is a derisive term with something political in mind; it's not a term I'll ever use myself. I would just ignore it, tbh, since it's usually said to get a reaction.

I agree with Vlad, everyone should simply like what they like regardless of what other people think. I liked B&tB, Aladdin, and TLK despite the nonstop negativity in those threads, pretty much the same with the Turning Red, Frozen, and LGBT threads really (just a few that come to mind), now it's other people's turn to soldier through the negativity. That's life. I'm still looking forward to seeing Pinocchio (whenever that'll be) despite all the negativity that's swarmed that film, too. Nobody can ruin or take something from you when it comes to movies and media when you're confident in who you are and your opinion is the only one that matters to you.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

In a new interview, Jodi Benson says she doesn't have a cameo in the remake, but that she's part of the publicity team. I wonder what that means. Will she take part in interviews like the cast and crew, for example?

Also, Sierra Boggess, who played Ariel in Broadway, has shown support to Halle Bailey's casting after the most recent backlash with this video.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Oh, Sierra! So woke and so botoxed!
I still love you though!
Guys, please check out Sierra’s YouTube video of The Lusty Month of May from Camelot. She’s magnificent!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:43 pm In a new interview, Jodi Benson says she doesn't have a cameo in the remake, but that she's part of the publicity team. I wonder what that means. Will she take part in interviews like the cast and crew, for example?
She probably does have a cameo, but was told to keep it a secret. After the movie premieres, she'll confirm it, just like what happened with Ming-Na's cameo in the Mulan remake. She wouldn't be doing press for the film otherwise. An actor doing press for a film they have no involvement with is unprecedented.
D82 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:43 pm Also, Sierra Boggess, who played Ariel in Broadway, has shown support to Halle Bailey's casting after the most recent backlash with this video.
Daryl Hannah, the protagonist from Splash, also came to Halle's defence on Twitter.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:08 pm She probably does make a cameo, but was told to keep it a secret. After the movie premieres, she'll confirm it, just like what happened with Ming-Na's cameo in the Mulan remake. She wouldn't be doing press for the film otherwise. An actor doing press for a film they have no involvement with is unprecedented.
That makes sense. That interview then was more of a confirmation that she has a cameo in the film than the opposite.
D82 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:43 pm Daryl Hannah, the protagonist from Splash, also came to Halle's defence on Twitter.
That's very nice of her. I'm glad Halle is getting all this support, plus the reactions from little Black girls and the success of the teaser to balance out all the backlash.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

New interview with Halle Bailey for Entertainment Weekly where she states what we’ve all presumed:
She adds that the film brings a "new story" to The Little Mermaid, one that's not just about "falling in love and wanting a boy and wanting the above world."

"It's more about what [Ariel] sees for herself and her future and her passion," she says.
https://ew.com/movies/little-mermaid-ha ... interview/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Ariel already has a passion; the human world. Why can't that be enough?

I know! They should totally make Ariel want to be a lawyer in order to help Ursula's victims. She goes to the human world, meets She-Hulk and they both twerk together as a sign of female empowerment. :roll:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

You know a lot of these statements are just Disney feeding the media a line to combat controversy (in this case the age-old complaints that the older princess films are too romance-based) that don't necessarily amount to much about the film. That's why Jodi Benson is a part of publicity team, even though she doesn't have a cameo as far as we know.

From what I read, the dislikes were last up around 2.5 million. :lol: I don't know if they've risen since then though.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:27 pmI know! They should totally make Ariel want to be a lawyer in order to help Ursula's victims. She goes to the human world, meets She-Hulk and they both twerk together as a sign of female empowerment. :roll:
:lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

A video of a little Black girl upset that Ariel in the remake doesn't look the same as in the cartoon she loves has gone viral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ5VGf7m9pU
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Sotiris wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:56 pm A video of a little Black girl upset that Ariel in the remake doesn't look the same as in the cartoon she loves has gone viral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ5VGf7m9pU
The comments on that video are pretty repulsive.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Halle Bailey talks about the songs in a new interview. Does she mean there'll be new reprises to "Part of Your World"?
Alan and Lin-Manuel wrote four new amazing songs, and Ariel has one more song, as well as additional reprises to "Part of Your World".
Source: https://youtu.be/wFyVzTSKfI8?t=65
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I guess the fifth song they wrote got cut. That's a shame, but I'm glad about the new reprises. I think there's potential in that. I hope they have a sad reprise like the one it got cut from the original.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:36 pm I guess the fifth song they wrote got cut. That's a shame, but I'm glad about the new reprises. I think there's potential in that. I hope they have a sad reprise like the one it got cut from the original.
I didn't remember they wrote five new songs. Well, at least the one for Ariel is still in the movie. I hope the deleted one is released as an extra, like they did with Aladdin and Jasmine's duet, "Desert Moon". Is it known where in the movie that deleted reprise from the original was supposed to be sung?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:27 pmIs it known where in the movie that deleted reprise from the original was supposed to be sung?
I'm not sure if it was ever revealed where it was supposed to go, but I think it fits best after the final battle with Ursula where Ariel is sitting on a rock in her mermaid form looking sadly at Eric who is lying on the beach.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Oh yes, it would fit perfectly there. I bet that's where it was supposed to go.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't think it fits there. I think it was probably supposed to be instead of the reprise that ended up in the movie, and they probably decided to change the lyrics and the tone to have a better way to end act 1.

Why would Ariel sing about selling her soul after everything she went through? It was clearly supposed to be "foreshadowing".
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Yeah, that makes more sense. But for the remake, I think the place I suggested would be perfect for another reprise.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Oh, it's true! Thanks for pointing it out, Farerb. I don't own the The Music Behind The Magic CDs, but I have the audio downloaded from the Internet and I always saw that demo as what it is, an earlier version of the reprise in the film, since the track is titled "Part Of Your World, Reprise (Demo)" and then there's a "Part Of Your World, Reprise (Final)", which is the movie version. But it's been a while since I last listened to that album, and the part that says "But I can see I'll never be part of your world" made me think it was from a moment in the film where Ariel felt she had lost her opportunity to be with Eric in the human world.

I guess the same happened to you, Sotiris. I agree the moment you suggested is good for a reprise. Another possibility could be that the "Finale" was now sung by Ariel instead of a chorus. It already happened in an earlier version of the story, as I've seen someone comment on Twitter. Since Halle said "additional reprises", do you think there'll be more than one new reprise?