The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

So the trailer's at 78% dislikes already. :lol: Ursula is late '60s, early '70s at least. Back then, WDAS actually cast a person based on how they fit the character rather than changing the character to fit the voice actor like they have since Lasseter came on the scene.

It doesn't take much suspension of belief to imagine people singing and dancing, but imagining a family having 9 different races within one generation of another (that are direct lines, not cousins, etc.) is ludicrous. I know there was a funny bit in Chris Rock's recent comedy special about how stupid everything these days is, something about a commercial with an Asian woman who's married to a caterpillar and the children are squirrels. :lol: That's about how stupid this movie is. It isn't lost on me the irony that the animals are hyper-realistic, but the hairdos and genetics are like some kind of impossible cheesy af My Little Pony / Care Bears trash.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

D82 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:25 pmIt's true, it looks a bit like Aquaman's poster. Also like Finding Nemo's.
That`s what I thought, too! :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Eric's castle does suck. Triton's palace, too, except your idea, D82, of it being like that so humans haven't discovered it is a good idea! Just, if that's the end result...I'd rather they didn't do that!

Ursula's lair...too dark for me to tell if it will suck yet.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

It starts …

I’m sure this isn’t the first new Ariel knockoff, but it’s the first I’ve seen. Get yours today at Five Below! :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I forgot to say I'm so glad we agree about Ursula's collar and Ariel's pink headband, D82. I also like that the collar helps Ursula's sleeves, like you said.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Paid Itself $10 Million for That Awkward ‘Little Mermaid’ Oscars Moment
https://www.indiewire.com/2023/03/oscar ... 234819286/
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

The trailer looks magical…

Halley looks so sweet…can see why they choose her, her voice is amazing and she just looks innocent and princess-like….

Just wish they made Ursula a bit more scary…she just looks so glamorous😂 In the animated movie, I always had the vibe that she was long past her glory days, and the loads of make up added to that(as if was trying to hide the ugliness).
Here she just looks like full glam…and anything but menacing
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

@ The Oscar's 10 million spot, Disney probably waited for the Oscars rather than the Superbowl because they could get a discount behind-the-scenes. Smart decision in the case this film underperforms.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Two new book covers have been revealed. The second gives us a better look at Ariel in her blue dress. I like the texture of the fabric. It's similar to that of the Queen's outfit.

Source: https://www.ravensburger.de/produkte/ki ... index.html (via Disney Live-Actions Brasil)

Source: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1368077250/re ... 3WB5ANHGDH

And here's our first look at the singing Ariel doll by shopDisney:

Source: https://twitter.com/TheCursedPrinc/stat ... 2729499652
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That screenshot of Ariel and Eric on the carriage does neither of them any favors. They both look pretty bad. :|
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Eric looks like a bored slob watching TV while Ariel is his housewife trying to look happy but really, she isn't lol.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here's the full Empire UK article from the magazine's latest issue. Among other things, it confirms there'll only be three new songs in the movie and not four as previously reported.
Giving Ariel a new voice
Rob Marshall on helping The Little Mermaid swim into the modern day

If there’s a prevailing myth about The Little Mermaid’s Ariel, it’s this: she has gone down, rightly or wrongly, as the Disney Princess who quite literally gave up her voice to be with a man she’d barely met. In its most simplistic form this might be true — nary a word has our mermaid hero uttered to the handsome Eric before she signs a monkey’s-paw pact with sea-witch Ursula, swaps her flipper for legs, and totters ashore to find him.

But that was never the whole story for this character, who, even before encountering Eric, long dreamed of leaving her life under the sea behind to — quite literally — step into a whole new world (wait, different Disney film). “A lot of people forget how modern she was, especially at that time in 1989,” says Rob Marshall, the director tasked with delivering a 21st-century Ariel in Disney’s upcoming live-action Little Mermaid remake. He believes that her headstrong nature is timeless. “The power that she has inside is something that leads her to build a bridge with this other world. That contemporary theme has always felt like an antidote to the divisions we feel today in the world, and a reminder that we’re all one.”

For any avoidance of doubt, though, the trajectory of Ariel 2.0 is set to be a little different. “With our filming we’ve been able to expand upon that. She doesn’t give up her voice for a guy — that’s something that was sort of baked into that original,” Marshall explains. “That’s not how we play it in our film. She wants so desperately to be part of this other world and wants to prove — to her father and to everyone — that there’s nothing wrong with [the people there].”

In this case, ‘she’ is Halle Bailey — the astonishingly gifted singer (one half, alongside her sister, of R&B pop duo Chloe x Halle) who leapt to the top of Marshall’s list when casting a Disney icon in the flesh. “It’s that funny thing with Ariel — you need someone who has a lot of fire and strength and power. At the same time, there has to be an innocence too — that she’s a girl, she makes these rash decisions,” says the director. “There was an innocence and a purity to [Halle] as well as having fire. It was this strange combination. And, of course, this magnificent voice.”

That voice, this time, won’t just be belting out ‘Part Of Your World’. Ariel gets one of three new songs, penned by Alan Menken and Lin- Manuel Miranda, with a tune titled ‘For The First Time’. “It’s about her experiences the moment she hits land,” reveals Marshall. “We needed to create a number that could almost work as a montage, so we could take her through that experience — coming onto the land, what it’s like to put on shoes, have legs.” He describes the moment as stangely relatable. “Anybody who has a different experience, it’s wondrous and scary at the same time.” Three decades later, Ariel is ready once again to take a big, bold step into the future with those brand-new legs. BEN TRAVIS
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

DisneyDuster wrote: "Eric looks like a bored slob watching TV while Ariel is his housewife trying to look happy but really, she isn't lol."

Your impression of Eric.... YES, 100% agreed!!! They couldn't have combed his hair a bit and have him look for alert??

As for Ariel... not a bad descriptor. But to me, she just looks constipated, and kinda trying "to go". :-p
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Disney Duster wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:10 pm Eric looks like a bored slob watching TV while Ariel is his housewife trying to look happy but really, she isn't lol.
My thoughts were similar except I thought they looked like 2 random losers visiting Bermuda or some place. Actually the rag on that woman’s head makes her look more like she’s a native hotel carriage driver showing the bored American tourist the island (working for the Yankee dollar as the old song used to say). Absolutely no magic like the real Ariel and Prince Eric.
Last edited by carolinakid on Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

And yes, Marce, the woman’s expression looks like she’s trying to push through a deuce. Not pretty...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks D82! Nice info! I don't like them adding the whole "humans and merpeople hate each other thing" over what really matters to Ariel though: love. Why can't she just want love most of all? What on Earth is truly wrong with that? That's like the most basic human desire there is!

Marce82 and carolinakid...hahaha well Ariel looks too smiley I think for that action but then again her eyes kind of look like that's what she's doing doesn't it? Haha
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

And Ariel DOES give up her voice for Eric. Isn’t that what Hans Christian Andersen wrote???? Make up your own damn mermaid story if the original bothers your smelly woke self so much!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Latest figures I saw on the trailer:
144k 👍
686k 👎
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Lot of people are putting random comments in the YouTube trailer. It seems like a trend.
For example one of the comments says “I loved when Vin Diesel says Fish and chips? Nah this is family. Chilling momment”.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

For any avoidance of doubt, though, the trajectory of Ariel 2.0 is set to be a little different. “With our filming we’ve been able to expand upon that. She doesn’t give up her voice for a guy — that’s something that was sort of baked into that original,” Marshall explains. “That’s not how we play it in our film. She wants so desperately to be part of this other world and wants to prove — to her father and to everyone — that there’s nothing wrong with [the people there].”

I was kind of hoping that with Disney racebending Ariel for this film, that's where the social dialogue for this film would stay and we wouldn't have to bother with the usual "our princess won't be a bad role model for your girls. You're welcome very much." I guess that was a little too much to hope for ...