The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Vlad »

Hey Marce, to me it seemed like she wanted to stand up to her father when she said the "A man was drowning" line. I could be wrong though, so I'll wait to see the full scene.

I do agree with Sotiris about them talking badly about the original film. They did the same with Beauty and the Beast, and it kinda backfired. When that one came out, they made it a thing to point out all the "plot holes" in the original that they fixed. To me, those fixes were like an insult to the audience. For example, during the scene where Belle takes the Beast back to the castle after he saved her life, in the animated movie we see her covering him with her cape, and then fade in to him on Philippe's back. I always thought she helped him stand, and then helped him get on Philippe. I couldn't help but giggle when in the remake, she had to say "You have to stand." :lol: :lol: There are many other examples like this in that one, but this one stood out to me.

I enjoyed the remakes so far, but I really hate it when the creators go out of their way to fix these so called "issues" in the original, and ironically, the final result pales in comparison to its counterpart.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The whole point of the remakes is fixing story issues that don't actually exist, otherwise why make them in the first place?

- "Why did the enchanted objects were punished too?"
Well now we have the explanation that they were enablers and didn't stand up to a king that could behead them for that.

- "Is every object in the castle enchanted? Aren't there real furniture?"
Well, here's a scene of Belle asking a hair brush "what's your name?" only to realize that no, the hair brush isn't enchanted and is in fact just a hair brush.

- "where is Belle's mother???"
She died. Here's an elaborate backstory about how she died in a plague, which adds nothing to the story, the characters or to Belle and the Beast's relationship.

I'm glad they decided to be patronizing like that and provided logical explanations and the minutiae of this fairytale movie, honestly some movie goers actually deserve it.

Can't wait to see the explanations in The Little Mermaid like how can sea animals talk but Eric's dog can't? How come Ariel doesn't write Eric a message explaining everything to him? Did Ariel actually eat with the same fork after she combed her hair? Where did the rag on the beach that Ariel used as a dress came from? We need a backstory! and of course, what happened to Ariel's mother?!?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Did Ariel actually eat with the same fork after she combed her hair?
I couldn’t say.... but Amy Klobuchar ate a salad with the same comb after she combed her hair.... so I guess it’s not out of the question.🤷🏻‍♂️
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:17 amThe whole point of the remakes is fixing story issues that don't actually exist, otherwise why make them in the first place?
The whole point of the remakes is to bank on the nostalgia for the beloved originals. They are cynical cash-grabs. Nothing more. Sure, Disney may claim in the press that it's to address plot holes and outdated gender/racial politics of the originals, but no one actually believes that.
Farerb wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:17 amWhere did the rag on the beach that Ariel used as a dress came from?
I know you're being sarcastic, but I thought that was pretty clear in the original. It's a sail from the ship that got destroyed during the storm and got washed up on the beach.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Farerb, I really hope they clear those things in the remake. Whenever I watch the movie, these unanswered questions actually prevent me from enjoying the movie.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Interview with Rob Marshall.
Q: How does a film like The Little Mermaid align with the stories you want to tell?

Rob Marshall: All the movies I’ve worked on need to have this central core of humanity. The majority of them are about people who are looking for something, either within themselves or out in the world. That’s hopeful and that’s something people can aspire to. I connect with all of the stories I’ve worked on, and The Little Mermaid is very much about someone who feels like an outsider, who feels displaced, who doesn’t feel like she belongs. The fact that Ariel wants to break down the barriers between herself and this other world is very meaningful to me. The contemporary theme of not wanting to be afraid of the “other”—which is really what she wants—feels very much like an antidote to the world’s divisions right now. It’s also a very strong reminder that, really, we’re all one.

Q: What’s been the most rewarding part of directing The Little Mermaid?

Rob Marshall: The Little Mermaid took me four and a half years to create; it’s the most challenging film I’ve ever done by far. Before creating this underwater musical, I thought to myself, “How am I going to do this?” So, it was an incredible mountain to climb, but there is this very strong, beautiful message about connecting with others and trying to break down walls. One young girl is strong enough to find the power within herself to do that. That was very moving to me—and it continues to be. I’m excited to share that with the world.

Q: How has Disney enabled you to work with other artisans, craftspeople, and storytellers to keep telling new and reimagined stories in exciting and innovative ways?

Rob Marshall: I’ve actually worked pretty much consistently with the same people over the years, because I got very lucky right off the bat with Chicago. In fact, I have the exact same design team I had on Chicago 21 years ago that I have on The Little Mermaid. I have John Myhre, the wonderful production designer; Dion Beebe, the wonderful DP [director of photography] and cinematographer; Colleen Atwood, the amazing costume designer; and, of course, John DeLuca, my producing partner. I have a core group of people that I’ve worked with over the years. We developed this synchronicity. We speak the same language. When you’re doing something as massive as this, I need them. I went to all of them and said, “I really need all of you with me because it’s so complicated. Every moment of this film needs to be designed in advance. It will require a lot of cutting-edge technology to make this work—including technology that’s never been used before.” This film has definitely been a labor of love, but Disney has given me this wonderful playground and set the table for me to be able to work with the best artists in the world.
Source: https://d23.com/icons-of-disney-storyte ... -marshall/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

In Beauty and the Beast's defense, its production design actually looked good, I can see where the money went whereas Aladdin looked like a TV production and this looks drab and dull.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I thought Aladdin looked great. It was very colorful, and fun, like a Bollywood musical. Beauty and the Beast was also visually stunning.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Marce82, I guess I felt Halle thought a man drowning was so serious she had to say it seriously. Well, she didn't have to, she could have said it more emotionally, but even though she "got caught", she thought it was the right thing to do, therefore she said the line like a man drowning is too serious to be ashamed of.
Sotiris wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:42 am
Farerb wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:17 amThe whole point of the remakes is fixing story issues that don't actually exist, otherwise why make them in the first place?
The whole point of the remakes is to bank on the nostalgia for the beloved originals. They are cynical cash-grabs. Nothing more. Sure, Disney may claim in the press that it's to address plot holes and outdated gender/racial politics of the originals, but no one actually believes that.
That's not all. The other reason they make the remakes is because a lot of people want to see their favorite animated movies come to life in photo-realism. I know this because first of all I want it, I also saw at least one commenter on Youtube say they wanted it, and in the Maleficent and Cinderella trailers they said things like, "the story come to life" or something along those lines.

Vlad for real those things prevent you from enjoying The Little Mermaid? Of course Ariel used the same fork she used in her hair for dinner. She didn't have another fork and she doesn't know not to eat with something that was in your hair. The sea creatures talk but not Max because Ariel is also a sea creature and can understand sea creatures like herself. Ariel not writing to Eric explaining everything is a plot hole that could have been fixed if merpeople had another alphabet or Ariel was illiterate except for how to write her name. As Sotiris said, the sail dress probably came from Eric's shipwreck. And do we really need to know what happened to Ariel's mother? She's dead. She probably died from an illness like so many Disney Princess mothers.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Duster, of course they prevent me from enjoying the movie. I can't help but ask those questions, and get really upset when I don't get answers. Regarding the things you said, we can only assume these things, they're not made clear in the movie itself.

I'm really hoping the remake will have the characters state them clearly, so I can enjoy it.

You guys know that YouTube channel, R/Slash? The uploader reads stuff from reddit, mostly Karens and chossing beggars, and he reads them with this really funny, entitled character's voice. Imagine me saying these things in that voice. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, Vlad, I'm surprised! Well, I am sorry your enjoyment of the film is hampered by those things. I wish that weren't the case.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think Sicoe was being sarcastic?

I also thought Aladdin looked good, although the castle in B&tB did turn out much nicer than the live-action Agrabah palace, I admit. The live-action Agrabah was still pretty though even if not as nice as the animated film palace, not quite as big a drop as Triton's gorgeous golden palace becoming a mound of caves...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Yes, I was sarcastic. Sorry Duster, I had no idea you took me seriously :lol:
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Bahahahahah!! Good one, Teppy. I admit I thought you were being serious as well. Cause there ARE people out there who feel that way.

But great response from DisneyDuster!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Some small updates:

• Extended and textless version of the poster: https://twitter.com/devnsworld/status/1 ... 9462674432

• The ending of the "Part of Your World" reprise can be heard better in the version of the trailer that aired on ABC, which doesn't have dialogue over it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqGSvIigBWx/

• First look at Mattel's "Ariel on land" doll:

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyLABR/status/1 ... 5079415812

• New book cover:

Source: https://www.thenile.com.au/books/the-li ... 1761295898

• New illustration of Ariel from a shirt:

Source: https://twitter.com/LiveAAriel/status/1 ... 2337828865
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Maybe this has already been address on this thread, I'm not sure:

Her bra.

In this cover for the novel we can see her bra clearly. Indeed, gone are the clamshells from the original... but what is this made of??? I see scales. So there are two options:

1) in this reality, mermaids grow fish-scales over their chests.

2) in this reality, mermaids kill fish, skin them, and use their removed skin to make themselves sports-style bras. (Flounder... YOU. ARE. NEXT.)

I actually don't like either of these options. Thoughts anyone??

PS: I suppose in the original one, they could have used old shells from deceased clams/oysters, thus, not harming anyone.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I like to think that in the original, they used shells of deceased animals for sure...I mean, they all had matching pairs, so that'd be brutal if they were alive!

I noticed the scale bra when scrolling through the new images, too. ...Are they vegetarians in this world? If so, maybe they use the dead carcus (sp?) to make bras, maybe bags, headbands, idk. If they're like humans and do eat other seafood, then maybe they use the skin like some do when hunting deer...? Or like you said, it could just be a part of their anatomy.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It's the first option, Marce82; it's part of their anatomy. It's not totally clear from seeing just Ariel, but if you take a look at her sisters; you'll notice it's more evident in their designs.

Source: https://nl.hallmark.be/kaarten/verjaard ... 31562.aspx

Judging by some of the images, it seems Ariel also has scales on her shoulders and belly.

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyStudiosIT/sta ... 6630660096

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Little-Mermaid-L ... 1368077234

Source: https://www.amazon.de/Disney-Arielle-Ro ... 3473496936

Personally, I don't mind the bra being part of the mermaids' bodies, but I'm not a big fan of Ariel's. I understand they wanted her to look similar to the animated character, but I wish it was more like her sisters' and had a more interesting design.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

See? This is the issue when making extreme fantasy worlds with live action. With animation, the suspension of disbelief is a lot easier. We don't need to question as much, we accept the reality we are presented with.

BlackCauldron85: let's assume all the merpeople are vegetarians. The only eating we see in the movie is Ursula eating a shrimp-like creature. But she is an outcast AND a villain, so she would not go by the mer-society's rules.

I'm not sure making clothing/bags from skin from dead fish would work. Wouldn't it decay really fast? In reality, we treat animal products so they don't decompose. Not sure how you'd do that under water.

D82: Hmmm... interesting. You might be right that it is part of their anatomy! What an odd choice! So the black sister that looks like she is wearing a loose-fitting blue tanktop... that's her skin?? And what about the mermen? Do they get random parts covered by scales? Is mother nature in favor of human-imposed modesty rules for merpeople??
I guess we can go a step further: why do mermaids even have breasts? They aren't mammals... or are they??

So when Ariel gets her legs in this version... will the scale bra go away too??

This is so dumb.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I agree, very stupid. I guess Ursula's "coat" is part of her body, too. This movie is just so laughably dumb all the way around. I wouldn't think it was this possible to screw up this poorly.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"