The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by singerguy04 »

Farerb wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:13 pm
Thumper_93 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:43 pm The only Ariel that is going to be in the parks is the original one. They didn't include Lily Jame's Cinderella or Emma Watson's Belle so I think that they're not gonna do it right now.
But this time it's a different situation.
I agree with Farerb on this one. I think the cultural impact alone, leaves this even more of a possibility. In the very least, around the film's release. That was the case for the live-action Maleficent. We saw her in all the parks, I think, around the release of the original. Disney also cast a black Santa for this year's holidays and he's arguably a larger character to race-bend. Although I think Santa has been more canonically multi-racial for years, but does anyone else remember the "outrage" when it was suggested he could be other than white?

I think it depends on a few things before we see face-actors in the park for these films. 1, would be departure from the original design. I think if a specific character design has enough of a fan-base, they're going to capitalize on it. Maybe even if it's only for a special event, see Max in his powerline costume for example. 2, the character's significance. Ariel will always be there, but I think this opens an extremely wanted door into diversifying the casting pool of the princesses. 3, profitability. We all know by now if something has a chance of turning a profit, Disney will take a chance at it. If the film is super popular and performs well, this is one of the fastest ways they can capitalize on it's success.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, I think a casting actor may appear in the parks as Ariel from the remake for a couple of months after the film even if the film surprised and was only a modest success or even a huge flop, because they won't want to be seen as back-pedaling from diversity. That would create another controversy in itself. Ultimately though, the remakes don't have lasting value beyond their initial release other than drawing people back to the original films--when they're fairly faithful anyway--so I doubt it would last beyond the initial furor. I mean, for example, Cynthia Erivo's Blue Fairy didn't appear in the parks even though she had vitriol directed at her online from what I recall, or did she?

I would say it would be interesting if they had the remake versions of the princesses somewhere in the parks long-term, just for someone in the fabulous pink outfit Jasmine has in that film's remake to always be around, but I think Cinderella's or Aurora's dresses are ugly and Belle's is meh. Since they seem to be abandoning all of Ariel's outfits from the original film (not even using them as vague inspiration like with Cinderella/Belle) and going for something original altogether, that would in theory have made it easier to give a remake!Ariel in the parks something to make her more identifiable to guests. It's a shame all of the original outfits we've seen so far for Ariel in this film are ugly. At this rate, I'd be surprised if whomever's behind the costumes here comes up with anything that flatters Halle Bailey (who is very pretty, lbr, so it shouldn't have been difficult to do) and stand out as memorable to audiences.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I don’t recall the Blue Fairy ever being portrayed in the parks....except for the lead float in the Main St Electrical Parade. That float’s a stunner with all the blue twinkling lights and the fairy on top!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I've seen some posts on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter that said that the new trailer for the movie is ready and will be released soon. This post came from a fan account, so I don't know if it is official or not. But I thought I'd share this here.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I’ve seen this on a pretty reliable TikTok as well as some other sites. It looks like Disney will indeed be bringing a live-action Ariel to WDW at least.

https://blogmickey.com/2023/01/disney-w ... eme-parks/
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

The trailer just leaked in REALLY bad quality on Twitter. Small, blurry, filmed from a phone and full of watermarks but we now know what to expect (I fully expect this to be released on Monday now, probably Good Morning America, or maybe a surprise rush release tomorrow, after the leak).

A very brief description:

It starts with the storm, Ariel saving Eric, her on the beach, disappearing as humans find Eric. Ariel having to defend her actions against Triton. That she wants to know more about humans. We see a shot of Ursula, “Poor Child, I can help you. It’s what I live for”. As her tentacles come into the screen (glow in the dark). Ariel’s voice being taken. Ursula saying “you belong to me” as she collects Ariel’s voice. The iconic hair flip after just getting legs from Ursula. Visuals of Under The Sea, but no sound. Visuals of the underwater castle. We hear her iconic voice aria. And part of the “part of your world reprise”. No sisters, no Vanessa, no scuttle. That’s all I can remember at this point…
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

robster16 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:04 pm The trailer just leaked in REALLY bad quality on Twitter.
Just saw it. I was expecting good things with Ursula after the test screenings, but WHOA they really went for it! Terrifying. Kids are gonna have nightmares. Such a relief to know she’s being played right.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I've just watched it too. It was difficult making out much, but I was pleasantly surprised by the voice Melissa chose for Ursula. Ariel does her iconic hair flip here too, but it's kind of mundane-looking now. Definitely not as pretty or impressive as in the animated film, but I guess that's par for the course with these remakes. Overall, the trailer was well put together. Better than the teaser.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I managed to watch the trailer and it didn't look good to me but maybe it's just the poor quality and not the trailer itself. The trailer itself felt like just another teaser, not sure why since everyone already knows the story.

By the way, while looking for the trailer, I came across some TLM fans on twitter and why the hell there's so much drama?!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Was the drama about the race-bending of Ariel again or was it something else this time?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

No, it was just fighting among people who hate this user who usually brings scoops about the film.

For example:

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Apparently there are multiple trailers and they asked for feedbacks so the trailer that was leaked might not be the one that is eventually released:

Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I managed to see the trailer too, but the quality is really so bad, it's hard to judge the footage. I did like the "Part of your world (reprise)" snippet, and the way Ursula's tentacles glowed in the dark. And I loved how Melissa McCarthy chose how to portray her. The iconic hair-flip was kind of a letdown, but again, maybe it was because of the really bad quality of the footage.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

I saw the trailer too and it looks very dark to me. The under the sea park looks very good indeed and Úrsula’s tentacles looked amazing.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

I saw the trailer too and it looks very dark to me. The under the sea park looks very good indeed and Úrsula’s tentacles looked amazing.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Does anyone have the link to the trailer? I've searched and couldn't find it.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Why can't I send you a PM, DisneyFan09?! :?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I've just fixed the issue with DisneyFan09's PMs. Try sending him again.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Thank you :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I would love the link as well, please.