The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by singerguy04 »

I think it'll end up being temporary for only a meet and greet experience. I'd bet the original will stay in shows and parades the whole time, along with appearance with the other Princesses. That is the version that's in the line-up/has merchandise, and that's also how they've treated the past live-action characters. I think the original has and will keep a much larger fanbase, and in the end this version will fizzle out. I bet she will make enough of an impact to appear randomly for small events like how Powerline Max does.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Those two shots look nice. Watch this movie come out and I end up liking it. :lol: You never can know. I've had many films I've expected to hate that I ended up loving and vice versa (of course also many where I end up feeling about the film exactly the way I thought it would, too).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Wow, Melissa is gorgeous.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, she does look gorgeous. It's weird that both Ariel and Ursula are pretty now lol.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

You mean Ariel was never pretty before? And yet little mermaid is responsible for a lot of young boys being interested in marine biology supposedly!
Disney's Divinity

Melissa McCarthy's always been pretty...although she's "ugly"ied herself up for roles at times before (Tammy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?) or at the beginning of a movie to show a progression for the character (the movie where she's a mom who goes back to college). At times when she's really dressed up, her features remind me a tad of Amy Adams (hair, eyes, etc.). If anything, I thought they'd probably give padding to McCarthy to look her as big as the character and give her a little age, tbh. :lol: But of course now Ursula can't be a big character. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The thing is, the original film doesn't "tell" us that Ursula is ugly, they leave that to the viewer to judge. They make a bit of humor of her saying she's "wasting away" despite being, well, big, but the real shock for the audience at the start is really in the reveal of her lower body (tentacles). Ariel does act sort of frightened by her appearance, but mostly the tentacles (there's one moment where Ariel's not even focused on Ursula because she's trying to keep the tentacle beside her from touching her, only for another tentacle to grab her by the chin, lol); she's sort of repulsed by Flotsam and Jetsam the same way when they touch her. Aside from that, it's really only Ursula's behavior that is commented on, by Sebastian ("She's a devil / demon / monster!"), or some of her flirtatiousness that the others are taken aback by. One of the reasons Ursula is a fun character is that her weight is just another part of her like her hair, it's not really the focal point. Partly she's supposed to look plump and soft the way a fairy godmother usually does, with a twist of course (sharp edges everywhere in her design), combined with some of the story sort of making her out like a monster lurking in the deep waiting to swallow Ariel up. At least, there are a lot of things that make me see it that way, personally (the first image we have of Ursula being the shrimp going into her mouth, Ariel being in a literal "belly of the beast"--the lair--when she puts herself in jeopardy in "PUS," several blink-and-you'll-miss-them shots in "PUS" of Ariel's head practically in Ursula's mouth, the moment she becomes a giant and Ariel/Eric jump down and they're practically close enough for her to chomp them, the climax mirroring the beginning of the film when Ariel almost gets eaten by the shark except with Ursula it's more metaphorical than literal, etc.).

Still hate the collar though.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I never really thought Ariel was that pretty, but as I got older I realized she is. I mean so many guys find her hot. But even Howard Ashman was afraid Ariel wasn't as pretty as the previous princesses until he saw her final design. Ursula was never pretty before and now she is. So now instead of Ariel and Ursula being opposites in attractiveness they are the same.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Call me crazy, but that image of McCarthy as Ursula looks like CGI to me...
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Melissa McCarthy Shows Off Her Singing Voice in Super Bowl Commercial for Booking.com
https://people.com/travel/super-bowl-20 ... ommercial/
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I thought animated Ariel looks most beautiful in the Part of Your World sequence. The rest of the film she doesn’t come up to that level, imo; she actually appears very “cartoony” to me.

Ursula is a sea witch. Why deny the fact that she’s a large woman based on an overweight drag queen (Divine) who is anything but glamorous? (Well, to me she IS glamorous in her own way.)

More wokeness and virtue signaling...

Why can’t obsese characters exist? Didn’t they just do a short film about a fat girl who wants to be a ballerina??
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

I always found Ursula as Vanessa extremely sexy! I think she's the most beautiful animated female character Disney has ever created, followed by Princess Jasmine and Princess Aurora. I find Ariel pretty, but not sexy. She's cute and that's it.
Vote for YOUR favorite Disney movie here:
https://www.fanpop.com/clubs/walt-disne ... sics-movie
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading this thread sometimes. One low-res potentially altered photo of McCarthy from the movie, and suddenly it's "virtue-signaling" to make Ursula somewhat pretty? Ursula always had some glamour about her. Just because McCarthy isn't as huge as the original character design, doesn't make her suddenly supper skinny. She is still a curvy plus-size woman. And the idea of padding her to make her seem bigger seems odd.

Disney has to toe a fine line here. They'd want to use McCarthy's actual proportions to avoid controversy of not casting a bigger actress. Then, you have to consider the optics of the one fat character being evil. Is that exactly better? McCarthy is a multiple Oscar-nominated actress specializing in comedy who is now showing us she can actually sing. And she's plus-sized. What more qualifications can you want for this role?

Not to mention this bizarre discussion of if Ariel is pretty or not. Seriously?? How fickle can you get? Not to mention the character is 16 years old, so a discussion of her "hotness" is already icky.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

But the Disney version of Ursula IS fat. If they don’t want to give the impression that the only fat character is evil, they could make one or several of Ariel’s sisters obese as they made one of the Muses in Hercules fat and sassy to add a little body diversity.

Aurora’s and Cinderella’s fairy godmothers were chubbettes.... and no one blinked an eye. Fat people can be just as kind or just as nasty as anybody else.
Last edited by carolinakid on Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

lord-of-sith wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:30 amNot to mention this bizarre discussion of if Ariel is pretty or not. Seriously?? How fickle can you get? Not to mention the character is 16 years old, so a discussion of her "hotness" is already icky.
Oh so I guess Howard Ashman worrying if Ariel was pretty enough or not was totally a terrible, disgusting thing he did. Maybe we should boycott the original movie for letting someone like him craft it so much, huh? And I guess all those people, especially parents, who tell their daughters under 18 that they're pretty are suddenly terrible and disgusting, too?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:11 amAnd I guess all those people, especially parents, who tell their daughters under 18 that they're pretty are suddenly terrible and disgusting, too?
Yes, that behavior is extremely problematic. Parents should never tell their daughters they are pretty or refer to them as princesses. It not only encourages vanity, but it could lead to serious self-esteem issues. Parents putting focus on their daughters' looks can cause them to base their entire self-worth on their appearance and how feminine or gender-conforming they present themselves. Parents should instead teach them that beauty can only be found within and you are innately important and worthwhile even if others or society at large doesn't consider you beautiful. In general, they should stop praising their looks and start praising their achievements at school or with their extra-curricular activities... And I'm just kidding Duster. I bet I had you fooled there! :-P
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

carolinakid wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:41 am I thought animated Ariel looks most beautiful in the Part of Your World sequence. The rest of the film she doesn’t come up to that level, imo; she actually appears very “cartoony” to me.
Ariel is beautiful throughout the entire movie. Sure, she doesn't have a consistent look, but she's super pretty, in my opinion, at least.
lord-of-sith wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:30 am Not to mention this bizarre discussion of if Ariel is pretty or not. Seriously?? How fickle can you get? Not to mention the character is 16 years old, so a discussion of her "hotness" is already icky.
Dude, calm down, we're talking about a fictional character. Jeez :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Disney Duster wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:11 am Oh so I guess Howard Ashman worrying if Ariel was pretty enough or not was totally a terrible, disgusting thing he did. Maybe we should boycott the original movie for letting someone like him craft it so much, huh? And I guess all those people, especially parents, who tell their daughters under 18 that they're pretty are suddenly terrible and disgusting, too?
My point exactly.
Disney's Divinity

I always thought Ariel was far and away the prettiest princess growing up, between the red hair, eyes, and delicate features. :shrug: I still think that, tbh. :lol:
carolinakid wrote:Why can’t obsese characters exist?
That's the ironic thing of claiming Ursula is a case of making fat = evil--which I personally feel is not the case at all, but nevertheless--is that it means there's one less 'big' character onscreen than there would've been. I don't think a figure for body positivity like Lizzo would've wanted to play Ursula if the character was a case of making fat out to be bad, just saying.
VanessaFan wrote:I find Ariel pretty, but not sexy.
Oh, I totally agree that Ursula/Vanessa goes more for a "sexy" vibe, is one of the few Disney characters that does, tbh; Helga Sinclair was another one that comes to mind. Naturally very few of the Disney Princess characters / protagonists would ever be allowed to give off that kind of vibe, for the obvious reasons. Well, IDK, a few heroines from the '90s did have that quality to varying degrees--Jasmine, Esmeralda, and especially Megara (probably why I loved that character, too :lol: :lol: ).
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Haha, you really did have me fooled, Sotiris!

Glad we agree, Vlad!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by Farerb »

New plushies of Ariel and her sisters:
https://twitter.com/LiveAAriel/status/1 ... 9edUQ&s=19