The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Farerb wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:32 am Why can't I send you a PM, DisneyFan09?! :?
Despite that I`ve already thanked you, I still could say this publicly again: Thank you so much for sending the link! :)
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you for so kindly sending me the link, Farerb. So, it was really awesome! Ursula has always been my favorite part of the original and I love how cool and evil Melissa is making her! And the part where she takes Ariel's voice looks like it will be so awesome! I think the hair flip isn't as amazing as the original because they were trying to not show Halle's naked body at all as she came to the surface, unlike in the original where we see Ariel's waist and hips. Anyway, I can't wait to see the trailer in better quality, I'm so excited!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Good to hear all these comments about Ursula! But of course I know to take that with a grain of salt, I've often read raves about things here that I end up finding unimpressive. I know McCarthy does definitely have the ability to do it justice if directed properly. Particularly the nightmarish stuff. I remember knowing someone on another forum who said Ursula gave them nightmares as a child and my banner of her would set them off, lol, so hopefully they focus on upping the creep factor here, too. The part with the green, ghostly hands and the very ending, she's supposed to look straight up demonic.

I'm not sure what to think right now that her tentacles glow... Can't wait to see the trailer for myself when it's released for real soon. :D
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I am so happy they actually made Ursula scary. I really hope they will make her a giant at the end.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Grace Randolph now says the trailer will be released for the Super Bowl or the Grammys, while Skyler Shuler thinks it'll be released this week. We'll see if any of them is right. Anyway, I don't think the trailer leaking will change anything. It's mostly the fans who have watched it; for the general public it'll still be new. The Guardians of the Galaxy teaser also leaked and Disney didn't release it officially until several months later and, from what I've heard, it was the exact same trailer.
Farerb wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:15 am The trailer itself felt like just another teaser, not sure why since everyone already knows the story.
Yeah, it felt very much like another teaser. I thought the first full trailer would be longer and show a bit more new stuff. Though, the leaked footage was quite blurry; maybe there are more things to discover in it than it seems. By the way, Ursula's tentacles glowing in the dark reminded me of Tamatoa from Moana.
Farerb wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:20 am Apparently there are multiple trailers and they asked for feedbacks so the trailer that was leaked might not be the one that is eventually released:
So that's how it got leaked. It's interesting to know.
Disney Duster wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:32 pm I think Disney also wants their classic remakes to be more serious than films like Alvin and the Chipmunks, D82.
Yes, that's true. And you're right realistic-looking CGI animal characters usually work better for live-action films, but in this case that the animals speak and are as intelligent as humans, maybe it'll feel weird if they're very photorealistic. I think I would be more likely to believe Sebastian is the court composer and the King's advisor if he looked a bit caricatured and with more human expressions than if he looks totally like a real crab.
Disney's Divinity

By the way, Ursula's tentacles glowing in the dark reminded me of Tamatoa from Moana.
You're right.

Ugh... :roll:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok, good point about the photorealism and speaking animals D82.

As for the trailer, I wonder if any of them are right.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

There's a fan account on Tik Tok claiming the official trailer will come out on Super Bowl Sunday, February 12. I have no idea if it's official, or if it has been confirmed by Disney themselves.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Last edited by Luke on Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed links to images due to Mattel copyright infringment
Disney's Divinity

Aw, that Ariel Barbie (and I assume her sisters?) is cute. Dare I say it, it almost makes the tail look better than it really does from what we've seen of the film so far. The tail looked hideous on the poster anyway, imo, more the size of an eel or a huge worm than a mermaid tail.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I like the fins overall, and I'm glad we're getting some (maybe all) of the sisters too. I'm a bit iffy on the Ursula design overall. An official image hasn't been released yet, so maybe I'll like it more later. I'm hoping there are higher quality dolls on the way, I think I could really get into those.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Except for the tentacles, Ursula looks like a run of the mill stand up comic. I’m disappointed...
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Do you think they thought that it didn't make sense that Ursula's "dress" was part of her tentacles and wanted to differentiate between the two:

so now you have an ugly shirt with a collar and a cleavage and the tentacles are unquestionably part of her body. Maybe there was a buzzfeed article saying that it's a "plot hole" and we all know that the remakes are all about "fixing" the originals.
Disney's Divinity

I think it's just because McCarthy wasn't quite daring enough to be bare-armed or to show her bare back. And since they were going to give her arm coverings, they probably just made the whole thing look like a jacket, since it would be weird to have a dress tied into a jacket and no line between. It's ugly, no way about it.

But worse to me are the pointless tentacles. They might as well have just made her a mermaid, too. The tentacles are too short to be threatening at all. It's not like she can use them to restrain Ariel as in the climax, or to grab things for herself, or threaten to squash Ariel and Eric like bugs as when she's a giant. They can literally only be used for walking now, so what's the point? More than making Ursula fun to watch in all her movements and more threatening, the tentacles were also visually interesting in themselves the way they would coil and move. Now they look like little stumps clumping along. It actually reminds me of the more recent Ursula pops--not the one for this movie, but from the more recent Ursula variants, when you compare to the way they're just clumps on the ground to the way the old pop has them up and moving around in a way that's cool and interesting.

All that said, that's not a criticism of McCarthy. Her face has an evil clown look that suits Ursula (that's one of the reasons I thought she could pull this off, she had that kind of clown-ish look in Identity Thief, too).
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:31 pm I think it's just because McCarthy wasn't quite daring enough to be bare-armed or to show her bare back. And since they were going to give her arm coverings, they probably just made the whole thing look like a jacket, since it would be weird to have a dress tied into a jacket and no line between. It's ugly, no way about it.

But worse to me are the pointless tentacles. They might as well have just made her a mermaid, too. The tentacles are too short to be threatening at all. It's not like she can use them to restrain Ariel as in the climax, or to grab things for herself, or threaten to squash Ariel and Eric like bugs as when she's a giant. They can literally only be used for walking now, so what's the point? More than making Ursula fun to watch in all her movements and more threatening, the tentacles were also visually interesting in themselves the way they would coil and move. Now they look like little stumps clumping along. It actually reminds me of the more recent Ursula pops--not the one for this movie, but from the more recent Ursula variants, when you compare to the way they're just clumps on the ground to the way the old pop has them up and moving around in a way that's cool and interesting.

All that said, that's not a criticism of McCarthy. Her face has an evil clown look that suits Ursula (that's one of the reasons I thought she could pull this off, she had that kind of clown-ish look in Identity Thief, too).
It's ... a doll! A promotional toy, made of plastic. The leaked trailer showed us that the tentacles have as much autonomy and functions, if not more than the original. This doll representation is not much different from for instance the original 1989 McDonalds happy meal figurines...

singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

robster16 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:52 am
It's ... a doll! A promotional toy, made of plastic. The leaked trailer showed us that the tentacles have as much autonomy and functions, if not more than the original. This doll representation is not much different from for instance the original 1989 McDonalds happy meal figurines...
This.

That's why I'm holding more judgement for a higher quality doll or product. Ursula's design overall seems a bit messy, but I don't think we can judge something like the size of her tentacles yet. This doll was obviously made with some limitations and to be durable. I'm sure the size effects the cost of its production, the packaging, stand ability, etc. It's not like the Ariel doll is photo realistic either.

I think the coat thing on Ursula was a choice to make her look more "glamourous". I think the world at large is still very unaccepting to bigger bodies, and I think Disney is trying to side-step a conversation about making a large character the villain or ugly. I think her size is a part of the character, and Disney is acknowledging that, but the coat thing is there to slim her a bit. To me her design is more Ursula mixed with the evil stepmother from Cinderella than a Ursula banished and down on her luck.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I really like the Ariel doll! It looks beautiful.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Oh Flounder, what have they done to you! :lol: :|

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Thanks for posting and for all the updates, Farerb! This seems to be the source of the latest images.

Ursula looks a bit different than the doll here. It seems she has some kind of collar and matching sleeves. And it looks like Triton is wearing some kind of armor.
Sotiris wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:12 pm Oh Flounder, what have they done to you! :lol: :|
I know. And have you seen Scuttle in the first image? Here's a zoomed-in version where it's easier to see: