Peter Pan & Wendy (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Re: Peter Pan & Wendy (Live-Action)

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Toky wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:09 am 🤦🏻‍♂️ O look…they’re flying to Neve…. The coast of ireland… Come one Disney, put some effort in your own legacy fgs
They actually shot this in islands in Canada.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

carolinakid wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:22 am Hard pass. That trailer did nothing for me. I’ll stick with the 1953 Walt Disney classic!
Suit yourself. This looks great to me.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The dialogue between Wendy and the Lost Boys was so cringe-worthy. If you're going to include girls with the Lost Boys, you need to either change the group's moniker to reflect that or provide us with a reasonable explanation as to why they are still called Lost Boys when they aren't all boys. "So?" is not going to cut it. :roll:

I get why London looks dark and dreary, but why does Never Land look that way too? Why is it devoid of color? The Big Ben clock breaking when Peter and the gang jump off it doesn't make any sense. The actor playing Peter is quite wooden and lacks charisma. Given that he's the co-lead, that doesn't bode well for the film. At least, Wendy and Captain Hook's acting seems decent enough.

In general, the trailer left me cold. It made the film look joyless. I think this is going to be a pass from me too.

The poster is boring and the composition with all the floating heads looks poorly photoshopped.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Too bad for you. Doubting it will only lead to failure. Maybe it left you cold because it wasn't faithful to the original cartoon.
silenzioalvaro

Post by silenzioalvaro »

Official synopsis:
“Peter Pan & Wendy” introduces Wendy Darling, a young girl afraid to leave her childhood home behind, who meets Peter Pan, a boy who refuses to grow up. Alongside her brothers and a tiny fairy, Tinker Bell, she travels with Peter to the magical world of Neverland. There, she encounters an evil pirate captain, Captain Hook, and embarks on a thrilling and dangerous adventure that will change her life forever.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Sotiris, my thoughts to a T. No wonder, no magic. Neverland looks so dreary. No excitement in the flying sequences. Just a lot of PC woke bits from what I could tell. I’m sure the nasty, grimacing “lost girls” are trans or non binary or something like Anybodys in the West Side Story remake.

When I first saw the 1953 Peter Pan or the Broadway musical I wanted to fly and live in Neverland. This version brought me none of that joy.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I think this comment below the trailer made a good point.
Wendy being the only girl is actually super important for the story and symbolism. She is a mother figure to them and it makes them realize what they’re currently missing and will miss by never growing up. Wendy reminds them of what real family is like. The Lost Boys are a gang, not a family.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Isn't that why the movie is called Peter Pan AND Wendy.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think it looks okay, better than I expected, tbh--and the poster is great again surprisingly, just like the last poster that had a POTC vibe. The original film is more frivolous and not very serious--like Alice in Wonderland--whereas this one was naturally going to have more drama.

I'm glad they didn't try to give the actress here playing Tinker Bell or Cynthia Erivo in Pinocchio dyed blonde hair (same with Peter's actor). That would've just taken me out and made the racebend full-out cringeworthy.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Some official stills have also been released and here's a Twitter thread with screenshots from the trailer.

Source: https://hollywoodlife.com/pics/peter-pa ... ney-plus-6
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I watched the trailer. It looks okay, and I'll be watching this on Disney+, but there are so many things wrong with it. The actor who plays Peter Pan has no charisma, the fact that the Lost Boys also have girls is ridiculous, this whole thing looks super woke and silly. I do kinda like Wendy and Tinker Bell, but that's pretty much it. Jude Law as Hook might be fun too.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Vlad Sicoe wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:01 pm I watched the trailer. It looks okay, and I'll be watching this on Disney+, but there are so many things wrong with it. The actor who plays Peter Pan has no charisma, the fact that the Lost Boys also have girls is ridiculous, this whole thing looks super woke and silly. I do kinda like Wendy and Tinker Bell, but that's pretty much it. Jude Law as Hook might be fun too.
What about Tiger Lily? I think the actress playing her will be a breakout star in this movie.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Some words by the director:
“In making Peter Pan & Wendy, we set out to craft a film that honors both the original J.M. Barrie text and Walt Disney’s animated adaptation; we wanted to invigorate our retelling with emotional sincerity, an open heart, and a grand yearning for adventure,” Lowery says. “Hundreds of incredible artists spent many years bringing this film to the screen; I’m excited for audiences to see their work, to go on this ride, and to rediscover an evergreen tale from a new perspective.”
Source: https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney ... y-trailer/

Like Disney's Divinity, I also think the movie looks better than I expected, although it'll probably turn out to be as forgettable as the rest of the remakes. I agree with Sotiris on the colors, though. I guess the director likes this style. I think Pete's Dragon looked similar and it worked for that movie, but it doesn't fit Neverland. As for the poster, I much preferred the teaser poster, but I think this one is OK. I like Peter and Wendy's poses.

By the way, you were right the movie would come out in April, D23ExpoVisitor25! Almost May, actually. I'm a bit surprised; I thought it would be released a little earlier.
Sotiris wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:14 am The dialogue between Wendy and the Lost Boys was so cringe-worthy. If you're going to include girls with the Lost Boys, you need to either change the group's moniker to reflect that or provide us with a reasonable explanation as to why they are still called Lost Boys when they aren't all boys. "So?" is not going to cut it. :roll:
Maybe there'll be an explanation in the film. It could be as simple as the group starting with only boys and keeping its original name even though girls also joined it later. This reminds me of the Pleasure Island sequence in Pinocchio's remake, where there were boys and girls and not just boys like in the original. I don't think anybody would've complained if they had been all lost boys here, but I don't mind the change too much.
Sotiris wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:14 am The Big Ben clock breaking when Peter and the gang jump off it doesn't make any sense.
Now that we've gotten more footage of that moment, I think the clock is not really breaking, but they're starting to travel to another dimension or something like that. I guess that's the way they'll get to Neverland here instead of just flying.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The hairstyle and hair color they gave Tinker Bell makes her look exactly like Iridessa from the Disney Fairires franchise instead of Tink.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

This looks so drab, dreary, and joyless. I'll watch it just to see if it's better than it looks, but I doubt it.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I can’t believe Disney looked at Peter Pan and thought “this needs more raw, gritty realism”.

Because that’s not what it needed. And yeah the lost boys dialogue bit was cringe. Just call them the lost kids then. It makes no sense.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:43 pm
Vlad Sicoe wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:01 pm I watched the trailer. It looks okay, and I'll be watching this on Disney+, but there are so many things wrong with it. The actor who plays Peter Pan has no charisma, the fact that the Lost Boys also have girls is ridiculous, this whole thing looks super woke and silly. I do kinda like Wendy and Tinker Bell, but that's pretty much it. Jude Law as Hook might be fun too.
What about Tiger Lily? I think the actress playing her will be a breakout star in this movie.
Oh, yes. I forgot about her. She's super beautiful, too.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Do you think Tinker Bell will try to kill Wendy in this version?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Of course not, only white pixies are jealous and mean.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:22 pm The hairstyle and hair color they gave Tinker Bell makes her look exactly like Iridessa from the Disney Fairires franchise instead of Tink.
Admittedly I haven't watched the Tinker Bell films in a very long time, but the only character with black hair there that I can think of is a character whose hair was long and flowing, not in a bun. I think the hair mostly looks like Tinker Bell aside from the color? They could've cast someone with dreadlocks like Ariel. Imagine if they'd cast Aladdin with some guy with a mullet. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"