Peter Pan & Wendy (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Peter Pan & Wendy (Live-Action)

Post by Vlad »

I'm not looking forward to this at all. I'm still going to watch it, just to give it a chance. But I'm almost positive it's going to be as bad, if not worse than Pinocchio.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Vlad Sicoe wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:09 am I'm not looking forward to this at all. I'm still going to watch it, just to give it a chance. But I'm almost positive it's going to be as bad, if not worse than Pinocchio.
Not with someone like David Lowery at the helm who, in my opinion, has an impeccable track record compared to Zemeckis.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Marce82 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:26 am
- anyone else think the actor playing Peter Pan is too old?? His voice has already changed... he feels more like a teenager than a kid... which is the main point of the story.

I actually kind of feel that way about both Peter and Wendy here. Both characters are supposed to be hanging on to the last vestiges of childhood, but these actors both feel like they should be applying for their driver's licenses.

Am I right in thinking that this movie was supposed to start filming right before the pandemic, and that production had to be delayed after the shutdown? The leads being six months older couldn't have helped ...

(Though, in fairness, Bobby Driscoll's voice in the animated film has also always sounded too old for me.)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Mattel dolls (more images on the link). It's interesting that this film is getting some merch. Previous Disney+ exclusive movies like Pinocchio or Disenchanted didn't get any.

Removed due to Mattel copyright infringement. Please avoid posting images from Mattel products to help keep DVDizzy up and running!
Marce82 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:26 am - Neverland looks so... charmless (where's the COLORS???). And HUGE! Part of the charm of previous depictions of Neverland is that it was almost comically small. Like the kids can get around the island very quickly on foot. This one looks like it'll take 8 hours to get from place to place. I think this is one thing where Spielberg's Hook benefitted from being shot in a studio... it kept the "playground" quality to Neverland. Even the Hollow Tree looks like an abandoned temple in this one...
It's true that Neverland looks bigger here. On the one hand I like it, but it's true it loses a bit that playground quality you mention. I was also surprised Peter Pan's hideout is different here. Maybe it's more faithful to the book? I agree that Tinker Bell looks very CGI. As for Hook, it seems their take on the character is very different this time.
MaQu

Post by MaQu »

I can't get over how cute Tinker Bell looks! I must get that Mattel doll.

For me, the movie looks way better than I imagined. I like the more dramatic approach, although I agree I wish Neverland was a little more colorful, vivid. But I totally have a faith in the director, I love his "Pete's Dragon"!

I expect the female cast of Wendy, Tink and Tiger Lily to be the breakthrough stars of the movie.

Poster is really, really nice. I like the drawings from those T-shirts as well. I'm glad to see Disney giving this film some merch.

I'm happy it will be released in April, sooner than I expected.

Farerb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:56 am Do you think Tinker Bell will try to kill Wendy in this version?
I hope they will keep her being all jealous.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

D82 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:04 pm Mattel dolls (more images on the link).
Removed due to Mattel copyright infringement. Please avoid posting images from Mattel products to help keep DVDizzy up and running!
Well, not bad. I must say that I like them. Despite how Tinker Bell`s face looks a little bit like Vanessa Hudgens :P
It's interesting that this film is getting some merch. Previous Disney+ exclusive movies like Pinocchio or Disenchanted didn't get any.
Agreed. It`s quite remarkable and noteworthy how those films didn`t get any merchandise (considering how their predecessors had some merchandise) and how this remake is getting some. At least I`ve wouldn`t mind to see some merchandise for Disenchanted.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I hope Tinker Bell is still jealous, but not to the point of murderous rage. That's much more misogynist than girls not being in the Lost Boys. Priorities, Disney.

I think the only reason this film is getting merchandise is because they racebent several of the characters. They probably know they'll sell poorly, but it's more an insurance policy against the Twitter crowd who might accuse them of "not truly supporting people of color" (even though they didn't make much merch for any of the previous remakes before it so it would be getting treated the same). :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

MaQu wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:22 am For me, the movie looks way better than I imagined. I like the more dramatic approach, although I agree I wish Neverland was a little more colorful, vivid. But I totally have a faith in the director, I love his "Pete's Dragon"!

I expect the female cast of Wendy, Tink and Tiger Lily to be the breakthrough stars of the movie.
I think Pete's Dragon is among the best remakes, so I have faith in the director too. At least, I don't think the movie will be as bad as Pinocchio or Mulan. Although, you never know with these remakes, even good directors or writers haven't been able to save some of them, so we'll see.

I saw Ever Anderson, the actress who plays Wendy, in Black Widow, where she was the child version of Scarlett Johansson's character, and she did a great job there, in my opinion, so I think she at least will most likely be good here too.

And I agree about Tinker Bell. I said she looked quite CGI, but apart from that, she's one of the characters that looks the best to me.
DisneyFan09 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:34 am Agreed. It`s quite remarkable and noteworthy how those films didn`t get any merchandise (considering how their predecessors had some merchandise) and how this remake is getting some. At least I`ve wouldn`t mind to see some merchandise for Disenchanted.
Yeah, I was surprised they didn't make any merch for Disenchanted. Perhaps it's because the movie didn't test well and they knew it wouldn't be successful. Strange World didn't get much merch either probably for the same reason. If that was the case, it might mean they expect Peter Pan & Wendy to do well.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:27 am I hope Tinker Bell is still jealous, but not to the point of murderous rage. That's much more misogynist than girls not being in the Lost Boys. Priorities, Disney.
I think the original has been criticized for their portrayal of its female characters: showing them being jealous, fighting over a boy, etc, so most likely they'll try to fix that. Maybe she's still jealous, but not as much as in the original, like you said, or she and Wendy will become friends earlier.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:27 am I think the only reason this film is getting merchandise is because they racebent several of the characters. They probably know they'll sell poorly, but it's more an insurance policy against the Twitter crowd who might accuse them of "not truly supporting people of color" (even though they didn't make much merch for any of the previous remakes before it so it would be getting treated the same). :lol:
That also occurred to me. I think it's either that or that they think this movie will do better than Pinocchio or Disenchanted. By the way, I read there'll also be a doll set that includes Tiger Lily and her horse.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

D82 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:58 pm
Disney's Divinity wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:27 am I hope Tinker Bell is still jealous, but not to the point of murderous rage. That's much more misogynist than girls not being in the Lost Boys. Priorities, Disney.
I think the original has been criticized for their portrayal of its female characters: showing them being jealous, fighting over a boy, etc, so most likely they'll try to fix that. Maybe she's still jealous, but not as much as in the original, like you said, or she and Wendy will become friends earlier.

I've actually always low-key loved that Tink legit tries to murder Wendy in the animated film (and the source material too, if I remember correctly). I don't even think I could articulate why, it's just always been funny to me. I guess because it makes her a fun foil to Wendy's excessive politeness.

I think there's also something to said for showing two girls who initially don't get along only to realize that their rivalry is meaningless. (Max and El in Stranger Things comes to mind as a recent high-profile example.) That's something that I think is done a little more explicitly in the dtv sequel with Tink and Jane, but it's still there in the 1953 film with Tink and Wendy.

But alas, this requires some sort of nuanced thinking, and well, these remakes aren't exactly known for that ...
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

True, indeed. What`s ironic is how Tinker Bell has been praised by Disney historians for being a progressive character and ahead of her time, despite that there`s little redeemable about her in Walt`s Peter Pan to begin with. Her flaws makes her relatable, but besides her love for Peter, she doesn`t have many redeeming qualities during the majority of the movie. Which frankly makes her character off-putting in many ways.
I think the only reason this film is getting merchandise is because they racebent several of the characters. They probably know they'll sell poorly, but it's more an insurance policy against the Twitter crowd who might accuse them of "not truly supporting people of color" (even though they didn't make much merch for any of the previous remakes before it so it would be getting treated the same). :lol:
Most likely.
MaQu

Post by MaQu »

PatchofBlue wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:48 pm
D82 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:58 pm

I've actually always low-key loved that Tink legit tries to murder Wendy in the animated film (and the source material too, if I remember correctly). I don't even think I could articulate why, it's just always been funny to me. I guess because it makes her a fun foil to Wendy's excessive politeness.

I think there's also something to said for showing two girls who initially don't get along only to realize that their rivalry is meaningless. (Max and El in Stranger Things comes to mind as a recent high-profile example.) That's something that I think is done a little more explicitly in the dtv sequel with Tink and Jane, but it's still there in the 1953 film with Tink and Wendy.

But alas, this requires some sort of nuanced thinking, and well, these remakes aren't exactly known for that ...
I have the exact same thoughts as PatchofBlue :)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I dunno... Wendy and Tinker Bell have almost no relationship with one another other than Tinker Bell attempting to kill her? There's no resolution because Wendy never has any interactions with Tinker Bell, I'm not sure if Wendy ever even knows that Tinker Bell tries to kill her. I suppose they could create nuance of that nature in a remake if they had a desire to--since Tinker Bell can speak here unlike the original. Still, Wendy never shows a problem getting along with Tinker Bell, it's purely on Tinker Bell's side. Wendy does show jealousy over Tiger Lily though.

Anyway, I think Tinker Bell and the mermaids trying to kill Wendy over Peter is almost as overtly misogynist as the Native Americans' portrayal was overtly racist, looking back in time.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I think Wendy knew.... didn’t she object to Peter’s banishing Tink from Neverland forever? She must have known what Tink was being banished for. I haven’t seen the film in quite awhile but I’m sure she knew exactly how Tink felt about her. From pulling Wendy’s hair in the nursery up until Tink’s redemption arc by saving Peter from the bomb and accompanying Peter to rescuing the Darling children and the Lost Boys, Tinker Bell goes from murderous to heroic pixie, imo. I love her human qualities, as much as a pixie can have human qualities. Women can be just as jealous and petty as men in my experience.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Yara Shahidi on “Beautiful” Response to Her and Halle Bailey Playing Disney Icons, “Seeing How Many People Feel Included in This Fairy Tale”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235352879/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
MaQu

Post by MaQu »

I love how excited they both are about their roles. I can't wait to see them on the screen. If only Snow White's actress talked about her character with as much of a respect.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Latest stats on the YouTube trailer:
47k 👍
456k 👎
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New article and still from Total Film magazine. Among other things, it reveals some of the songs from the original will be featured in the film, says this remake will be much more faithful to the original than director David Lowery's previous Disney remake Pete's Dragon, and teases some of the changes made to Hook and Tiger Lily in this version.

TEASERS: FLIGHT CLUB
PETER PAN & WENDY
David Lowery’s live-action Disney adaptation takes the boy who wouldn’t grow up to soaring new heights.

There are few filmmakers with CVs as eclectic as David Lowery. Alongside a gritty Arthurian fantasy (The Green Knight), a septuagenarian crime caper (The Old Man & the Gun) and a supernatural study in grief (A Ghost Story), the 42-year-old writer/director has carved out a counter-intuitive niche adapting Disney classics, including the Bryce Dallas Howard-starring Pete’s Dragon in 2016 and, now, a House of Mouse crown jewel in Peter Pan. ‘To me, it makes total sense,’ Lowery tells Teasers of his two outwardly distinct filmmaking lanes. ‘The line between Peter Pan and The Green Knight is minimal. I’m like, “They’re both adventure movies. They’re basically the same film, aren’t they?”’

In at least one respect that statement is very true. Like The Green Knight’s ancient lands, Peter Pan & Wendy’s Neverland is a tangible, earthy creation worlds away from the tropics of the animated movie, and shot entirely on location in Newfoundland and the Faroe Islands. ‘We weren’t going to build Neverland on a soundstage,’ Lowery nods. ‘We really wanted this to feel like you could stumble out of your door, into the backyard, and get lost in a forest and have an adventure similar to this.’

Despite being backed by Disney, Lowery came to the project as a fan of J.M. Barrie’s original Peter Pan stories, released at one point under the name Peter Pan and Wendy – inspiring the title of this latest live-action adaptation. Announced in April 2016, before Pete’s Dragon had even hit cinemas, Peter Pan & Wendy was significantly more challenging to adapt than Lowery anticipated. Setting aside the fact that he shot and released three features in the interim, Lowery claims to have ‘never spent this much time on a movie’, with the screenplay going through numerous page-one rewrites.

Early versions stuck closely to Barrie’s book, but bumped up against P.J. Hogan’s 2003 Peter Pan as a result (‘He adapted the book perfectly – there was no way that we could best that.’) Instead, Lowery found himself turning to the 1953 animated film for answers. ‘We realised that Walt Disney and the team had solved a number of problems that we were already having with how to get into the story,’ says Lowery, who co-wrote the screenplay with Toby Halbrooks. ‘So we started to lean a little more heavily on the animated film, but, at the same time, always trying to keep the book’s almost anarchic, adult spirit.’

The result is a film that’s far more faithful to its source material than Lowery’s ground-up reinvention of Pete’s Dragon. ‘I would often say: if it’s in the ride at Disneyland, it needs to be in the movie,’ Lowery chuckles, ‘because those are the things people remember. So we really tried to treat this as if it was the very first Peter Pan movie, while also keeping in mind the legacy.’

That legacy includes indelible songs – several of which feature in Lowery’s film – and, more problematically, the unacceptable depiction of indigenous characters. Watch the animated film on Disney+ and the first thing you’ll be greeted by is a screen warning of ‘stereotypes that were wrong then, and are wrong now’. Tiger Lily will still feature in Peter Pan & Wendy, played by indigenous actor Alyssa Wapanatâhk, but will be handled more respectfully.

‘The challenge for us was: how do we take this character who, going back to the original text, was problematic, and give her a role that is not only supporting, but integral to the entire movie?’ Lowery says, pointing out that the history of the character was completely rewritten to incorporate elements of Wapanatâhk’s own culture. ‘There was nothing from the past that we needed to hang on to when it came to Tiger Lily. The version of the character in the movie, who is so strong and vibrant, it’s incredible. There should be a Tiger Lily movie!’

Casting relative newcomers Ever Anderson (daughter of director Paul W.S. and actor Milla Jovovich) as Wendy, and Alexander Molony as Peter Pan, Lowery points out that ‘the story ultimately is, and always has been, Wendy’s’, even calling Pan ‘incidental’ to Wendy’s journey. ‘I really wanted to do something different with Peter,’ he says. ‘Peter, in the animated movie, tricks us into thinking that we like him. But he’s an incredibly unlikeable character! In our film, he is very serious, to a fault, about what he thinks is the most important thing in the world, which is not growing up. It becomes a sticking point between him and Wendy.’

Lowery’s film also has an ace up the sleeve of its billowing pirate coat in the form of Jude Law, who plays crocodile-fearing sea dog Captain Hook. In sync from their very first Zoom meeting, the pair had to fully flesh out a two-dimensional character for live action. ‘We really wanted to understand why Hook hates Peter Pan so much,’ Lowery explains. ‘Where does that anger come from? We did our best to build out a story for the two characters, and a sense of history, and a sense of mythology.’ But why Law? ‘You want someone who can lean into the moustache-twirling when it’s appropriate but then also break your heart when you need that to happen as well,’ Lowery smiles. ‘I can’t think of anyone better to straddle those two things in the same way that he straddles the crocodile’s jaw.’ Oh, snap! JORDAN FARLEY
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

What a uniformly unattractive cast...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's surprising that some songs will be featured in the body of the film and not just relegated to the end credits. Will it be the actual songs or just instrumental versions of them though? The original's songs don't seem to fit in this drab and dreary iteration of the story.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage