Pinocchio (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Pinocchio (Live-Action)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I ended up being disappointed by The Witches, mostly because I thought Hathaway was surprisingly terrible, although it wasn't the only reason.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

PatrickvD wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:24 am There’s no way this is getting good reviews. The original is still considered by many Disney’s finest animated feature. Especially by critics.

Some things are best left untouched.
True. The animated predecessor is perceived as being the Citizen Kane of animation.

Well, after seeing both clips, I like the visuals effects and the animation. But Pinocchio still looks uncanny and Jiminy`s accent is too overdone. Besides, I feel that the scene with the growing nose seem like a way of expanding the original story to a smarter version, just like they`ve done with their other remakes. And it makes Pinocchio seem a little conceited.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Pinocchio is so poorly animated. They should have let the CG animators at WDAS handle this. Now it’s just bad. The eyes are so weird.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

PatrickvD wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:27 pm Pinocchio is so poorly animated. They should have let the CG animators at WDAS handle this. Now it’s just bad. The eyes are so weird.
Oh jeez. First, we complained about Sonic's human teeth, now we complai about Pinocchio's eyes. HEHEHEHEHEHE! :lol:
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

PatrickvD wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:27 pm Pinocchio is so poorly animated. They should have let the CG animators at WDAS handle this. Now it’s just bad. The eyes are so weird.
Oh jeez. First, we complained about Sonic's human teeth, now we complain about Pinocchio's eyes. HEHEHEHEHEHE! :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here are interviews with Tom Hanks, Cynthia Erivo and Robert Zemeckis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TahNd-FOlIM

Zemeckis reveals at this point of the interview that in this version Geppetto has had some loss in his past which spurred him on to want to create Pinocchio, so probably what we suspected is true and he lost a son.

PatrickvD wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:24 am There’s no way this is getting good reviews. The original is still considered by many Disney’s finest animated feature. Especially by critics.

Some things are best left untouched.
I completely agree with the latter. Personally, that's how I feel about every Disney classic, but I know I'm in the minority. However, I think you're right that this time, since the original is so well regarded, more people will feel this way and it may have an effect on the reviews.
Farerb wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:08 am New clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFszZ-afzjI
I'm surprised they decided to exclude the Blue Fairy from this iconic scene. I like that they're not doing a shot-for-shot adaptation, but in my opinion the original scene is much better than the new one.
Now that I see him in motion, I have to agree that he looks a bit weird. Especially the eyes, as you said. Perhaps if they had added black lining around them, it would've looked better.
Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Nandor »

SPOILERS!
D82 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:02 amZemeckis reveals at this point of the interview that in this version Geppetto has had some loss in his past which spurred him on to want to create Pinocchio, so probably what we suspected is true and he lost a son.
I hate this change. Trying to replace a lost child has been completely overdone, and personally, I feel it's much more sad for this man to have always longed for a family and never gotten one, than for him to have had what he longed for and trying to replace that. Pinocchio will never be the son he wanted.
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

Geeh, the CGI looks horrible…like really something out of a video game early 2000’s…not good :(
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New poster, promos and a couple of interviews with Benjamin Evan Ainsworth, the actor who voices Pinocchio:

https://twitter.com/DisneyPinocchio/sta ... 9655557122
https://twitter.com/DisneyPinocchio/sta ... 3009044480
https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/statu ... 6062303235
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8GqHQoHyzY
The real boy behind Disney's 'Pinocchio'
Meet Benjamin Evan Ainsworth, the Real Boy Behind Pinocchio

Nandor wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:31 am SPOILERS!

I hate this change. Trying to replace a lost child has been completely overdone, and personally, I feel it's much more sad for this man to have always longed for a family and never gotten one, than for him to have had what he longed for and trying to replace that. Pinocchio will never be the son he wanted.
Geppetto will have a similar backstory in Guillermo del Toro's version. I don't know if it also happens in other film versions of Pinocchio or not as I've only seen the one from Disney. It doesn't happen in the book, which I'm reading right now for the first time. Maybe I'm wrong and they just had the same idea when trying to expand the story, but I get the sense that maybe they thought they needed an excuse to make it believable for the public a single man would dream of having a child. I think that's perceived as being more common for women, but I believe men can have that desire as much as women. Though again, maybe I'm wrong and that story decision has nothing to do with what I said.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

This looks like a real stinker especially the PC woke Blue Fairy.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hm, interesting thought, D82, but I hope people aren't that bothered by a single man wanting his own kid to raise, jeez! Also, that poster makes me wonder if Pinocchio won't turn human in the end, because he's already "real" in his heart. I hope that's not the case!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Just as expected, completely abysmal. I should know by now that the whole point of Disney remakes is to "correct" the perceived mistakes of Disney's past by making everything bland and forgettable, but they manage to surprise me and stoop even lower everytime. Now I also know that "Disney+ Exclusive" means cheap and lazy.

Oh well... Time to move on to the next forgettable crap. What is it? Hocus Pocus? Disenchanted? Peter Pan?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Omg who ever looked at Pinocchio and thought: “gee this needs some pop culture references?”

I hate it.
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

O boy…this one was utterly bad…the ending was…just stupid…🤦🏻‍♂️Its really hard to ruin such a story…but leave it to modern day disney…
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It seems Disney didn't lift the review embargo until the moment of release for a reason:

Source: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pinocchio_2022

A new featurette has been released as well as the four new songs:

Tom Hanks - When He Was Here With Me
Tom Hanks - Pinocchio, Pinocchio
Kyanne Lamaya - I Will Always Dance
Luke Evans - The Coachman To Pleasure Island

I found them quite disappointing. I don't know why they nedeed to add new songs when they're not very memorable and are so short. Only the first by Geppetto is longer than 2 minutes and that one's mainly spoken. It doesn't seem they made any effort to make them fit with the original songs either. Although, I haven't watched the film yet and I don't know how they'll work in it. Maybe I'll like them more then.

Here are the rest of the songs, though I don't know if these links will work in all territories:

Cynthia Erivo - When You Wish Upon A Star
Keegan-Michael Key - Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee (An Actor's Life For Me)
Benjamin Evan Ainsworth - I've Got No Strings

Disney Duster wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:50 pmAlso, that poster makes me wonder if Pinocchio won't turn human in the end, because he's already "real" in his heart. I hope that's not the case!
One of trailers or TV spots also made me wonder that, but I don't think they'll change the ending. Most likely it'll be just like a theme they'll add to this version. Guillermo del Toro's version, though, sounds like will do just that judging by the director's words.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I noticed that too. Pinocchio's animation is noticeably subpar. The animation for other CG characters like Jiminy Cricket and Honest John is somewhat better.
Nandor wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:31 am I hate this change. Trying to replace a lost child has been completely overdone, and personally, I feel it's much more sad for this man to have always longed for a family and never gotten one, than for him to have had what he longed for and trying to replace that. Pinocchio will never be the son he wanted.
The implications of this change are never well thought out. Geppetto's pain will never go away and Pinocchio, even as a real boy, can never replace his lost son. This kind of change only works with reimaginings where Pinocchio is merely a vessel through which Geppetto can work through his grief and goes back to being a lifeless puppet in the end.
Farerb wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:08 amI should know by now that the whole point of Disney remakes is to "correct" the perceived mistakes of Disney's past by making everything bland and forgettable, but they manage to surprise me and stoop even lower everytime.
That has more to do with the advent of social media and our overly PC culture than the nature of remakes itself. Proof of that is 101 Dalmatians (1996) which modernized aspects of the story without trying to correct perceived flaws and criticisms hurled at the original. I wish the remake trend started earlier like in the late '90s or 2000s. We would have gotten product of a much higher quality.
D82 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:04 am It seems Disney didn't lift the review embargo until the moment of release for a reason.
It's rare that both audiences and critics agree on a Disney remake. Have there been other Disney remakes that have gotten a rotten score from both before?
D82 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:04 amA new featurette has been released as well as the four new songs.
They cut "Little Wooden Head" and "Give a Little Whistle" for these? They are so bland and unmemorable, I forgot them as soon as I finished listening to them. And one isn't even a song; it's just spoken word, for crying out loud. Why didn't Tom Hanks sing it? Was it his choice or was it the direction they were going with?
I know he's not a singer, but that's a pretty easy song to perform. Even he could have pulled it off.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:05 pm That has more to do with the advent of social media and our overly PC culture than the nature of remakes itself. Proof of that is 101 Dalmatians (1996) which modernized aspects of the story without trying to correct perceived flaws and criticisms hurled at the original. I wish the remake trend started earlier like in the late '90s or 2000s. We would have gotten product of a much higher quality.
I remember I thought they would make more remakes after 101 Dalmatians when it was released, but I guess they had a little more reverence for Disney's classics back then and that's why they didn't continue. I actually prefer they're not that good, that way they're more likely to be forgotten and the originals less likely to be "replaced".
Sotiris wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:05 pm It's rare that both audiences and critics agree on a Disney remake. Have there been other Disney remakes that have gotten a rotten score from both before?
I've looked it up and there have actually been several. I've made a list, so it's clear to see, and I've also included more categories. I took the info from here. Curiously, there's more or less a tie between rotten and fresh ones from both critics and audiences, so the reception in general has been quite mixed.

ROTTEN SCORE FROM BOTH CRITICS AND AUDIENCES
101 Dalmatians (41%/40%)
102 Dalmatians (31%/32%)
Alice In Wonderland (51%/55%)
Alice Through the Looking Glass (29%/48%)
Dumbo (45%/48%)
Pinocchio (31%/43%) (as of now)

ROTTEN FROM CRITICS / FRESH FROM AUDIENCES
Maleficent (53%/70%)
Aladdin (57%/94%)
The Lion King (52%/88%)
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (39%/95%)

FRESH FROM CRITICS / ROTTEN FROM AUDIENCES
Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book (80%/55%)
Lady and the Tramp (65%/50%)
Mulan (73%/47%)

FRESH FROM BOTH CRITICS AND AUDIENCES
Cinderella (83%/78%)
The Jungle Book (94%/86%)
Pete's Dragon (88%/72%)
Beauty and the Beast (71%/80%)
Christopher Robin (72%/83%)
Cruella (74%/97%)
Sotiris wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:05 pm And one isn't even a song; it's just spoken word, for crying out loud. Why didn't Tom Hanks sing it? Was it his choice or was it the direction they were going with?
I know he's not a singer, but that's a pretty easy song to perform. Even he could have pulled it off.
I don't know, but unless that song is more difficult to sing than the other, it's probably the direction they were going with, because he does sing the other song. That one, by the way ("Pinocchio, Pinocchio"), is the only one I like a little, but I wish it was longer and felt more complete.

Come to think of it, the same happens to me with The Polar Express, which is by the same composers. I only like one song there too, "Believe", but that one's much superior to any of the ones they made for Pinocchio and was even nominated for an Oscar. I was hoping there would be a song like that in this remake, but there isn't. I don't think these ones have any chance at awards. Plus, I don't believe Disney is giving this movie a qualifying run for the Oscars, right? So all they could aspire to is an Emmy or something like that, which is also unlikely in my opinion.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:15 pm I remember I thought they would make more remakes after 101 Dalmatians when it was released, but I guess they had a little more reverence for Disney's classics back then and that's why they didn't continue.
They actually did have plans for more.
Banking on the probable success of ''101 Dalmatians,'' Walt Disney Pictures is proceeding with live versions of other animated classics. John Hughes is now writing a script for a live adaptation of ''Peter Pan,'' which Disney made as an animated film in 1953. Mr. Herek even talks of doing a live-action ''Aladdin.'' ''That I would love to re-create in a real way,'' he says. ''Can you imagine with the technology today and the set design? You could create this really cool little world.''
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/24/movi ... ality.html
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

That's interesting. I'm surprised they even contemplated remaking Aladdin so soon after its release. I'm glad it didn't happen back then. Do you know why they dropped the idea of making more remakes? Did 101 Dalmatians underperform according to their expectations?
Last edited by D82 on Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

101 Dalmatians performed quite well, hence the sequel. I think the reason they didn't move forward with them was pushback by key people from the company. There must have been a concern that live-action remakes would have damaged the originals' long-term profitability. Eisner wanted to do a live-action Beauty and the Beast, but said he was "alone" in that desire.