Pinocchio (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Pinocchio (Live-Action)

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:06 am 101 Dalmatians performed quite well, hence the sequel. I think the reason they didn't move forward with them was pushback by key people from the company. There must have been a concern that live-action remakes would have damaged the originals' long-term profitability. Eisner wanted to do a live-action Beauty and the Beast, but said he was "alone" in that desire.
Oh, OK. That makes sense. Personally, I'm glad there were people who opposed the idea and were able to prevent that from happening at the time.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I saw the movie yesterday and I must say that it was fine enough. But it felt like it could`ve been any live action property from Disney and not a remake of Pinocchio, who`s considered the Citizen Kane of animation. The visuals were nice, the effects were sparkling and the production sets were nice to look at. But it still felt like a Theatrical release and could`ve mostly benefited of being released on the Silver Screen. Just like the remake of Lady and the Tramp, it followed the original storyline pretty closely and didn`t bother changing it. My overall problem with the movie was that it suffered from the same problems that the live action remakes of the Renaissance features: It was too rushed. Sure, it`s basically telling the same story twice, but there`s no need to rush it through.
Tom Hanks as Geppetto was fine, but was too eccentric and lacked the adorability and gentleness of his animated counterpart. Luke Evans fared better as the Coachman, though. Jiminy Cricket stole the show on this remake, too. Fabiana was fine, but practically a useless character who added nothing to the story. My only true gripes with the story was that the Pleasure Island scene was too psychedelic in a juvenile way. The few meta jokes didn`t work, as they felt randomly thrown into the movie (even the Disney cameos in Geppetto`s woodcarvings). I liked how Hey Diddeli-Di and I`ve Got No Strings were included, but it`s almost contradictory how When You Wish Upon a Star wasn`t incorporated as a full song. It`s the anthem of the movie and the Disney company, for crying out loud! Besides, the ending was too rushed, cluttered and vague, as well.
Sotiris wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:05 pm
Nandor wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:31 am I hate this change. Trying to replace a lost child has been completely overdone, and personally, I feel it's much more sad for this man to have always longed for a family and never gotten one, than for him to have had what he longed for and trying to replace that. Pinocchio will never be the son he wanted.
The implications of this change are never well thought out. Geppetto's pain will never go away and Pinocchio, even as a real boy, can never replace his lost son. This kind of change only works with reimaginings where Pinocchio is merely a vessel through which Geppetto can work through his grief and goes back to being a lifeless puppet in the end.
Well, let`s remember that Disney`s done this before with Tarzan: Kala lost her child and Tarzan became a replacement for her son. And the issue was never ever mentioned again afterwards besides the scene where Kerchak states this to Kala. But yeah, such themes rarely work at Disney, as they`ve not worked through and how the parents are mostly deuteragonists. The only times where they`ve worked through is through the protagonists, if they`ve lost a parent. A sparse example of this is Treasure Planet, where Silver does somewhat become a replacement for Jim`s father, despite how it`s not instantly comparable.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I just watched it! I think it’s pretty much the worse live action remake the studio ever released so far! The Blue Fairy was awful, Monstro was a huge disappointment. I don’t even know what the hell he was supposed to be. :lol: :lol: And that ending…ugh
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Sotiris wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:05 pm
Nandor wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:31 am I hate this change. Trying to replace a lost child has been completely overdone, and personally, I feel it's much more sad for this man to have always longed for a family and never gotten one, than for him to have had what he longed for and trying to replace that. Pinocchio will never be the son he wanted.
The implications of this change are never well thought out. Geppetto's pain will never go away and Pinocchio, even as a real boy, can never replace his lost son. This kind of change only works with reimaginings where Pinocchio is merely a vessel through which Geppetto can work through his grief and goes back to being a lifeless puppet in the end.
Like with several other changes in these live-action remakes, I'm sure this change was made to counteract criticism directed at certain plot points in originals that the intenet crowd feels haven't aged well. In Pinocchio's case, the (unbased) implications that Geppetto is a pedophile, for why else would he build himself a little boy. No, it can't possibly be because he's lonely/introverted, he just wanted to molest a wooden toy :roll:

So yeah, I think this plot change is unneeded, especially because it goes nowhere and is never addressed again. The movie implies the soul of Geppetto's son is transferred to Pinocchio (what with the fairy magic streak bouncing off the photo and hitting Pinocchio), yet the movie just forgets about it.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

You know, this film was actually magical. In the way that it must take actual magic to transform Walt Disney’s masterpiece into this steaming pile of crap. Pinocchio gets kicked out of school, so has no choice to be able to go there instead of do what the con artists tell him to do. He doesn’t lie to the Blue Fairy so she can tell him lying is wrong. His lies get him free him from the cage, so it was actually a good thing he lied. Sabina and her puppeteer were superfluous and totally derailed the story whenever they appeared. Tom Hanks gave a surprisingly bad performance. The new music was terrible. And don’t even get me started on the fumble of an ending that wasn’t one iota close to the emotion or satisfaction of the original. As has been said, this was abysmal. I liked the fairy stuff and Erivo’s singing. That was it.

And why yet another horrid remake featuring literal poop? Is it a representation of the remakes they are found in?!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:10 amYou know, this film was actually magical. In the way that it must take actual magic to transform Walt Disney’s masterpiece into this steaming pile of crap.
rotfl
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Haha, Duster, if Disney ever decides to do a review trailer for this Pinocchio, they should use your brilliant one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, how can they screw up a wonderful film like Pinocchio? The animated one was amazing, in terms of story, animation, music, action, suspense etc. But this one was just....weird. And yeah, I agree, Tom Hanks' performance was surprisingly bad....he acted like he was a lunatic... :lol: :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Thanks for posting those posters, D82! :) I`m surprised that these posters weren`t relelased before the release of the movie.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

DisneyFan09 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:02 pm I`m surprised that these posters weren`t relelased before the release of the movie.
I'm surprised by that too. And they could've made posters for more characters, like the Coachman, Jiminy Cricket or Honest John, for example.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I've watched the awful new PINOCCHIO trailer, and read the initial and not-surprising negative reviews, and I can't get over this irony:

Walt Disney devoted his career to making films that proved that "cartoons" could truly be ART, and that animation could be the equal of and taken just as seriously as live-action films.

The travesty of a company that bears and desecrates his name remakes his masterpieces as "contemporary" crass films that undermine his legacy one by one, basically saying that the original animated films are NOT good enough for today's audiences, so THERE Walt, we've REmade them as...live-action.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0130138364
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Watched this yesterday. I was surprised how bad it was, in very bizarre ways. A lot of stuff just doesn't really work in the world they created. Like the fox and cat just seem weird in live action when there's no other talking animals. Like figaro functions as a normal cat, Gideon is upright like a human? Are they figments of Pinocchio's imagination? Or are they animals he envisions to be like people? I don't know, they didn't explain that to us. This kind of stuff works in animation, because there's a higher suspension of disbelief. But when the aesthetic is live action (though most of this movie was animated) it's just off putting.

I thought Cynthia Erivo was good, a departure from the original character but clearly defined. I liked her look. And Luke Evans was pretty good despite the weird material he was given.

What stuck out the most was how atrocious the special effects were. Pinocchio himself looked awful. The scenes where Gipetto was playing with the marionettes, and they were all CGI and their movements didn't match his puppetry at all was embarrassing.

Overall a very poor effort on most accounts.

EDIT: I just remembered the random SMOKE MONSTERS?!? Not explained at all. What was that about?!?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

D82 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:47 pm And they could've made posters for more characters, like the Coachman, Jiminy Cricket or Honest John, for example.
It appears I spoke too soon. The rest of the posters have been released:

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyPinocchio/sta ... 5512139777
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for laughing at my review joke, guys. I forgot to say, the part where the Coachman chases Pinoke to the sea did give some reason Pinoke jumps in, and adds some peril, so that was not bad. Yes, DisneyFan09, this was rushed. Yes, Vlad, I don't know what Monstro was supposed to be. :lol: And yes, Mooky, that may be why they made the Geppeto losing his son and wife change, like a single woman can want her own child but not a single man. :roll: Also, yeah, I didn't get why the wishing star blasted the photo of Gepetto's son and then Pinocchio like it was transferring the son's soul into Pinoke, only to have Pinoke repeating what everyone says like he's a totally different person and age, and then he seems to still be a totally different person after the Blue Fairy's done with him, and if he's not, it's ignored! None of it made sense. Lord-of-sith, I agree the Blue Fairy's departure wasn't bad (except visually, with her weird bubble earrings or whatever) and was defined. I liked her. But I like almost all fairies, so I dunno. Also, yes, Luke Evans was...better than the rest with what he did with what they gave him. The smoke monsters seemed to be a mere cool take on the mysterious shadowy figures that do...whatever they do with the donkeys, from the original. Remember them?

Oh, I forgot to say, I actually liked the Disney film clock gags.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Ah, yes, I forgot about the Disney clocks. It was a fun sequence.

I kinda like the character posters, especially the Monstro one. The original Pinocchio made me interested in whales, to be honest. When I was a kid, I remember watching Beauty and the Beast, and seeing the Beast. I would ask my dad if such an animal exists, and he told me no, because he's fictional. When I saw Pinocchio, and Monstro came, I was certain that he wasn't real. But my dad explained to me that whales do exist, and that they are that big, and that's how my fascination with whales came to be. At age 5, my library was filled with books about whales, because I found them fascinating and still do. :D
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I read that Monstro is called a sea monster rather than a whale because portraying whales as villains is not politically correct. More woke Disney nonsense.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Disney Duster wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:49 pmThe smoke monsters seemed to be a mere cool take on the mysterious shadowy figures that do...whatever they do with the donkeys, from the original. Remember them?
Sure, but I thought they were a bizarre inclusion that was weirdly unexplained. Like suddenly there are smoke monsters, it felt very random.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Duster :lol: lol I guess the one good thing about bad Disney live action remakes is how funny the reviews can be. :lol: I haven't had a chance to see the film yet and have only seen some snippets of the trailer on tv. Without spoiling too much(just yes or no) can anyone tell me if the donkey tf scene is still in it?

Vlad Sicoe wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:35 am
When I saw Pinocchio, and Monstro came, I was certain that he wasn't real. But my dad explained to me that whales do exist, and that they are that big, and that's how my fascination with whales came to be. At age 5, my library was filled with books about whales, because I found them fascinating and still do. :D
I like your whale story...same thing happened to me with Lion King and hyenas, lol.

I know I really shouldn't judge the CGI from just the posters but most of those animal characters look awful, especially Cleo, Monstro and Jiminy

(Dumbledore voice) HOWEVER!(Dumbledore voice)

I LOVE this! I love how menacing and feral they look! Im no furry but that's one sexy looking fox! :o Kinda weird that they don't explain why they are the only anthropomorphized animals in the film. I mean the original never explained it either, but I figured they'd feel they would have to in the live action.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, that is such a nice story about the Beast and whales, Vlad. Lord-of-sith, hm, yeah I guess it does seem random and unexplained. Unprincess, yes to your question about the donkey scene, though it is a little less terrifying, and that Fox isn't really that feral in the film, but he is kinda sexy, I agree. Haha!