What's your favorite movie in the Disney Revival so far?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Re: What's your favorite movie in the Disney Revival so far?

Post by Mooky »

1. Zootopia
2. The Princess and the Frog
3. Frozen
4. Tangled
5. Moana
6. Winnie the Pooh
7. Wreck-It Ralph
8. Big Hero 6
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

8. Winnie the Pooh - very well done but not a memorable standout considering Pooh had been seen in hundreds of other stories already
7. Tangled - somewhat overrated and songs are underwhelming but still enjoyable for the fun characters and return to a classic fairytale story.
6. Wreck-It Ralph - creative and unique, full of vibrant characters and settings, a lot of fun video game tributes and gimmicks
5. Big Hero 6 - similar to WIR but with better humor and more of an emotional impact, easily Disney's best and most mature study of grief in a long history of films with characters losing relatives to death
4. Zootopia - fantastic characters, very creative and dense world building, great humor, great and mature message
3. The Princess and the Frog - love the New Orleans jazz setting and music, Tiana and Naveen are among my favorite Disney princesses and princess respectively, the side characters are actually funny and entertaining, and it's one last hurrah for beautiful 2D animation and character design
2. Frozen - fantastic songs and a true return to the fully realized Broadway style Disney musical, gorgeous set pieces and color palette in the setting, and a fun cast of characters with slightly more depth than the average Disney
1. Moana - possibly recency bias but the cultural influences, the sensational, consistent and relistenable soundtrack, the gorgeous animation, the emotionally beautiful and moving ending sequences, and the well-rounded and realistic character of Moana make it a standout for me either way so I'm riding high on it for now

Overall I like all of them to varying degrees, and they're all certainly better than the previous decade's horrible slate of films - Fantasia 2000, Dinosaur, The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt. I like L&S and TENG but the rest....Image
LADY Image CLUCK
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

8- Winnie the Pooh- It's fun and pretty, but I just don't see the need for this story to be as long as it is, and it's already a short flick to begin with. If it was condensed to the length of a featurette with one or two other Pooh stories, its existence could be justified more.
7- Tangled- On the one hand, I feel bad putting it so low since it's my girlfriend's everything. But on the other, it's just not that original or unique to me, and Alan Menken feels like he was on autopilot here. Mother Gothel is also a little underwhelming as a villain, while Pascal and Maximus get tired after repeat viewings. I can still get into it, though, thanks to Rapunzel being a heck of a protagonist, and her having good chemistry with Flynn. It's not a personal favorite for me, but considering Disney's output from the past few years, it was a step in the right direction.
6- Frozen- I really alternate between this and Tangled. Sometimes I prefer one to the other, but I will say that when you remove the hype, this movie is pretty good, but far from a 5 star flick. My main problem has always been my personal disconnect to the music, but that comes from my dislike of the Lopezes and their limited songwriting skills. Additionally, the animation feels kind of... empty? At least the backgrounds, which I suppose fits into the feeling of isolation that anchors the film, but this isn't the most breathtaking piece of CG animation they've made. I can get behind the story and characters okay, even though I do think that Hans is proof that subtlety doesn't work for Disney, and that the Duke was a pointless red herring. But I can get behind the sisters and even Olaf, as much as I give him grief, but i would additionally argue that Elsa ultimately feels a little underdeveloped, which is why i've slowly started to appreciate Anna more in the years since. As well as Kristoff and Sven, who I think are a great pair. There's a good handful of Disney movies that I prefer to it, but this is far from the worst.
5- Wreck-It Ralph- King Candy is probably the last Disney villain that I've particularly enjoyed, although I would be hesitant to rank him among my favorites. I mainly like that he's open in his mischiefness and has a twist that works, on top of Alan Tudyk having a lot of fun with him. I'd still take Ralph, Vanellope and Felix to him, which helps to give this a fair shot for best cast in the modern films. I like pretty much everyone, even the Regina George fill-in that Mindy Kaling played. There isn't really too much wrong in this movie, but I think that I prefer the top 4 for certain, personal reasons instead.
4- Big Hero 6- This is not one of the more popular movies on here, and that's fine. I know that many prefer for Disney to stick to fairy tales, and I can appreciate that, but I think that they're able to do whatever they want. Frankly, I think that this and WIR prove that Disney can finally do sci-fi right, after the flawed but still occasionally pleasing experiments of Atlantis and Treasure Planet. But I will agree that this isn't perfect, with my biggest problem being how it's Hiro's story, when he's the fifth most interesting character in the film, tops. I would have much rather had more time with the rest of the team, and primarily Baymax, who is as perfect of a sidekick that you can get, and that's why I'm interested in the TV show. I also do think that the twist villain here is flat. But I do like that BH6 nixes a lot of the Lasseter formula by not being an adventure piece, and by making the sidekick the co-star as well. There's still plenty of his other stuff, but I don't mind it that much.
3- Moana- I don't know what to say without spoiling it for people. Moana is a hell of a protagonist, the story is tight, and it leads to a great payoff, with solid pacing to go with it. I'm a little hit or miss on the music, but that comes from my mixed feelings on Lin-Manuel Miranda, who is by all rights a great songwriter, but has a few ticks that get old for me (it's much less cheesy than Hamilton, though, which is all I can ask for), but the musical transitions in the film are reminiscent of how the Renaissance films used to get them down, as opposed to how forced the recent films have had theirs. My only other things are that I'm not in love with Maui or Heihei, but I did warm up to the former a little with a repeat viewing. Hopefully I can gel with them more over the years.
2- Zootopia- I think that Judy has cracked into my favorite protagonists, and she's given probably the best of the snarky co-leads with a sob factor to reflect on. I love them together, but it's the theme and world building that puts it over the edge for me, on top of the film noir parallels. It also helps to make the twist villain work better here than in Frozen and Big Hero 6, but I still would have preferred if they didn't use that for the third movie in a row. Not every joke lands, and I think that we could have done without using the entire Flash scene as the first trailer, but this is arguably stronger than my #1 choice, but I'll get to that in a moment.
1- The Princess and the Frog- The story is contrivance heavy, I'll be the first to admit that. And there's some trimming that could have been done in the middle act. And while I understand why it made sense to hire Randy Newman to score the film, he will never be the right choice for any movie as far as I'm concerned. But Tiana is my favorite princess, one that instantly resonated with me. I love that she will never take the easy route if it's not the right route, and will work for everything she wants. The movie does a fantastic job of making her arc pop, just as her relationship with Naveen pops, who I would gladly vote for my favorite prince if Aladdin and Beast weren't so perfect, and he may tie with the latter for my second favorite. They're given a strong supporting cast, from Ray's little bit of wisdom and heart to Lottie being a perfect best friend for Tiana. Even Louis cracks me up, and Mama Odie's song is one of the stronger tracks. And then Dr. Facilier has rightfully earned his place as a classic villain, with a big thanks to Keith David's killer delivery. This isn't a perfect movie, but it's a great entry into the Disney canon, and remains one that I come back to often.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

So far I still say Tangled is the winner. Moana, I cant decide if I like it better or worse than frozen. Really the biggest difference is frozen had more in the way of music, but story wise for me its about on the same level. I think I will have to put frozen above Moana though for the simple reason that Moana felt more directive of other movies than the rest.
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

Post by justcuttinhair »

1.Tangled- I am not a fan of the songs...lyrically, they are just weak to me...not on par with some of the better work Disney is known for; however, I love!! this movie...it is one that I probably watch at least 2-3 times a year. The characters and the style is gorgeous..it is one of those films in the Disney canon that can be considered a milestone for the animation efforts.

2.Zootopia/Big Hero 6- I really like that both of these films are "modern" and in my opinion have fairly original setups. The characters are endearing and the lessons tucked away into the story are subliminal but timeless.

3.Princess and the Frog/Moana-The music for both films is what really adds to their ranking on my list. PATF, while having some faults, is so enjoyable to me..I like all the characters and the setting is so original..also, it really was a nice "curtain call" for hand-drawn films at the studio. Moana really took me by surprise at how much I have enjoyed it...the songs have become stuck in my head for the past week since seeing it and other than some issues in the middle..the plot was concise and harkened back to the early Disney Renaissance in terms of structure.

4.Frozen-Although "Let It Go" has been played to death...we all must admit that that entire sequence alone is the climax of the film...it is stunning!!! The other songs featured in the film are fairly weak in my opinion, and so for that I would not rank it high in comparison to other songs with the Disney song catalog, but the movie is enjoyable and it is a beautiful film to watch. I can't really say that the characters have grabbed my heart the way others have, but, all in all...it is a good movie.

5. Wreck It Ralph-First off! the entire premise is original and unique. The titular character and some of the other side characters are enjoyable, but, the character of Vanellope just irks me for some reason...I dont know if it is Sarah Silverman's voice acting or what...but, Im not a fan.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

1. Frozen
3. Moana
4. Wreck-It Ralph
5. Zootopia
6. Winnie the Pooh
7. Tangled
8. Big Hero 6
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I did not see them all, but so far, my favorites are Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Frozen, Zootopia and Big Hero 6
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

1. Big Hero 6
2. Frozen
3. Zootopia
4. Tangled
5. Moana
6. Wreck-It-Ralph

Really my list is pretty meaningless because the difference between how much more I like Zootopia over Tangled is minimal and could switch depening upon my mood on a given day. I actually like them all pretty evenly, with the exception of Wreck-It-Ralph, because to me that movie went downhill once they got into Sugar Rush.

I still believe Winnie the Pooh: Bear-ly a Feature doesn't deserve cannon status any more than the likes of Piglet's Big Movie.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

8. Winnie the Pooh. I can appreciate it for the hand drawn animation and the music, but I really feel they charicaterized the characters more than they already were, and turned them much more goofy and cartoony. The script also tries too hard at times to force you to laugh, and not all of the jokes land well. Besides, I'm a little miffed considering the conspiracy that this film was released against Harry Potter in order to bring down hand drawn animation.

7. Tangled. It just feels so commercial at times, like every scene was calculated so the product would end up being as inoffensive and appealing to all demographics as possible, hence why it sorta feels bland. The Dreamworks inspired humor also is a detriment to enjoy the charm of the film.

6. Big Hero 6. Bland, but I like the message they're trying to give across about grief and letting go. The surprise villain is the weakest villain of the bunch, tho, and the secondary characters are just generic.

5. Frozen. The music is lovely, and I like some of the messages regarding Elsa, the different interpretations she's given by the audiences, and the idea of love at first sight (though I still think Hans would've developed differently here and there- good in theory, poor in execution), but the animation and design is generic/bland and I find Anna obnoxious, the fact that she's the lead doesn't help.

4. Moana. Like Tangled, it feels too commercial and calculated at times, and I really don't care all the hype given to Miranda as if he's the descendant of Howard Ashman (And if they're trying to promote him mostly to appeal to the latino market...Well it ain't working on this one). The Polynesian aspect of the film is what saves it from mediocrity, tho. And I sorta like when Maui or the Grandma act as the Yodas to Moana's Luke, kind of an upgrade of Kristoff's role in Frozen.

3. Princess and the Frog. The middle part drags, but despite Lasseter's politics, it still has a lot of that old Disney charm with some good updates. I really feel the cast is the strongest aspect of the film, and feel kinda saddened it gets dragged down by the story and the music.

2. Zootopia. Strong leads, and engaging world building. The only thing I would say is a flaw is aspects of the message conflict against the worldbuilding established by this movie, not to mention the formula is here when it started to thread out (but nowhere near as bad as I imagined Gigantic would've suffered by the formula- no gimmicks there to trick the audience), but still sorta engaging.

1. Wreck It Ralph. The potty humor aside, it's the one genuine film that I like the more I watch it. I dunno, there's something there in the world building that brings me back to it, ever since I first watched it.
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

Moana
Princess & the Frog
Zootopia
Big Hero 6
Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Tangled
Winnie the Pooh
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

1) Wreck-It Ralph
2) Zootopia
3) Frozen
4) Big Hero 6
5) Moana
6) Tangled

As for Winnie the Pooh, I also wasn't a fan of the new takes on the characters. They lack the warmth of the originals and a timeless classic shouldn't have to be modernized or "updated" imo.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

1. Moana
2. Tangled
3. Zootopia
4. Frozen

Didn't care for Big Hero 6.
Hated Wreck-it Ralph.
Last edited by Farerb on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

1. Moana
2. Zootopia
3. Tangled
4. Frozen
5. The Princess and the Frog
6. Wreck it Ralph
7. Big Hero 6
8. Winnie the Pooh
Disney's Divinity

The top 3 are probably locked into the place (Frozen 2 will probably join them), with the rest shifting around. Maybe something that will come out of Jennifer Lee's leadership will be a future favorite. Who knows.

I feel a bit more hopeful now Lasseter's finally gone, but still pretty meh about Disney's future; although it's a little less bleak than it was, I'm disappointed about John Musker having "retired." I always felt leaving wasn't really his decision and that Moana was always intended as the team's send-off, especially since Musker's working on a short (proving he's still working, just not at Disney). I'm expecting Clements will leave soon enough; I don't believe he'll be a part of another movie. The two have been working at Disney a long time. Still, I don't really like any of the creative influences at Disney now except for Lee.

1. Frozen
3. Moana
4. Zootopia
5. Tangled
6. Winnie the Pooh
7. Wreck-It Ralph
8. Big Hero 6
9. WIR2, I have this spot saved for you.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I feel a bit more hopeful now Lasseter's finally gone, but still pretty meh about Disney's future; although it's a little less bleak than it was
Sorry for bumping this thread, but can I ask why?
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I feel a bit more hopeful now Lasseter's finally gone, but still pretty meh about Disney's future; although it's a little less bleak than it was
Sorry for bumping this thread, but can I ask why?
I guess because no matter who’s in charge, hand-drawn animation has been successfully killed off at Disney and even besides that I don’t believe Jennifer Lee will have as much power as Lasseter. Most likely Lasseter still has pets at the top who’ll heavily influence story decisions, continuing the buddy roadtrip formula for another 10 movies or so. On top of that, you have Musker retiring, which means no more M&C films to look forward to and I haven't much liked anything from Moore, Howard, or Greno. Then there's the ascension of Lin-Manuel Miranda at Disney, who I like less and less as time goes by.

So, yes, better without him there, but I don't expect a huge turn-around as far as my personal interest in Disney's output goes.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I guess because no matter who’s in charge, hand-drawn animation has been successfully killed off at Disney and even besides that I don’t believe Jennifer Lee will have as much power as Lasseter. Most likely Lasseter still has pets at the top who’ll heavily influence story decisions, continuing the buddy roadtrip formula for another 10 movies or so. On top of that, you have Musker retiring, which means no more M&C films to look forward to and I haven't much liked anything from Moore, Howard, or Greno. So, yes, better without him there, but I don't expect a huge turn-around as far as my personal interest in Disney's output goes.
I apologize deeply for saying this, but I didn't felt that it was the specific answer to the question. Your answer was pretty much a confirmation of how the future will seem more bleak without him, nonetheless. Don't take this the wrong way, though.
Then there's the ascension of Lin-Manuel Miranda at Disney, who I like less and less as time goes by.
Why? Is it because of his attention-seeking nature?
Disney's Divinity

1. Frozen
3. Raya and the Last Dragon
4. Zootopia
5. Frozen II
6. Moana
7. Tangled
8. Winnie the Pooh
9. Wreck-It Ralph
10. Ralph Breaks the Internet
11. Big Hero 6

Just a temporary ranking until I can buy Raya on Blu-ray and re-watch it a couple of times. 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 are pretty close to one another in my eyes. TBH, I almost think Frozen II and Raya will be seen as a new era separate from the others as time goes by. The beginnings of the post-Lasseter era, imo.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I guess I would say frozen, Tangled and Zootopia even thought I’m not crazy about any of them, the fact is that they’re very good films that stand on their own without the fact of being Disney titles.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

My favorite film from the Revival is still Tangled, and I think Zootopia is still my second, but Raya and the Last Dragon is definitely in my top 4. Probably in the fourth spot after Moana, but I'll need to watch it more times to be sure.