What's your favorite movie in the Disney Revival so far?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

What's your favorite movie in the Disney Revival so far?

Post by disneyprincess11 »

http://www.poll-maker.com/poll178222x07B44A8c-7

Hey, everyone. Big Hero 6 is the last Disney Animation movie until 2016, where we get 2 movies: Zootopia and Moana. Since we have a big break from WDAS, everyone has now an idea of which of the movies in the Disney Revival is their favorite. So, I made a poll to see which WDASR movie is everyone’s favorite. Please answer this poll :)
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Re: What's your favorite movie in the Disney Revival so far?

Post by DisneyJedi »

Hmm... As much as I love all of them, I'll have to go with The Princess and the Frog. I don't know, I guess I just love the simplicity of it. And it was possibly Disney's wake up call for animation and convinced people to start seeing Disney animated movie in the theaters again. :)
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

1. Frozen - brought back that genuine Disney magic with a 21st century spin. The characters are dynamic and iconic and the music is the first A-quality Disney music in a generation. Great animation and vocal talent. There's a reason why it's the most successful.

2. The Princess and the Frog - an underrated gem filled with infectiously lovable characters, a fun villain, fantastic hand-drawn artwork, and a celebration of New Orleans music/culture. Tiana and Naveen are my favorite romantic couple from these films.

3. Big Hero 6 - Recency bias? We'll see, but Disney did a fantastic job with their first superhero film, which at its core is a surprisingly complex study of grief and friendship. Great laughs, characters, action, and a beautiful setting. Disney's best 3-D animation by far.

4. Wreck-It Ralph - very unique, creative, and quirky, though a bit juvenile at times even for a Disney film. I don't buy in to the emotional scenes for this one so I only watch this when I want a funny and colorful waste of time, which is what video games essentially are.

5. Tangled - Its mediocrity becomes clearer by the day, but it's a fun, though safe adaption of Rapunzel with some pretty art design. Songs are mediocre, characters and their motivations are muddled, plot is simplistic and bland and the filler scenes are uninteresting. The saving grace of the film is Gothel, a fun villain and voiced by a real talent in Donna Murphy, unlike the likes of Mandy Moore :|

6. Winnie the Pooh - a surprisingly strong and cute film but nothing new and ultimately forgettable considering how much has been done with the Pooh characters over the years.
LADY Image CLUCK
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Tangled all the way for me; its warmth, humour and charm make it a true Disney Classic. A wonderful addition to the canon.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

1. The Princess and the Frog: I LOVE this film. The music is awesome!

2. Frozen: even though I like it, I think it's WAY overrated.

3. Tangled: didn't like it at first but it grew on me.

4. Winnie the Pooh: sweet film. It was very nicely done.

5. Wreck-It Ralph: didn't impress me at all.

6. Big Hero 6: Haven't seen it yet.
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

I don't know that I could rank them other than to say that Tangled is my favorite and Winnie the Pooh is my least favorite.

I actually enjoyed Mandy Moore's performance. Yes, there were a few times where it was obvious that she wasn't vocally powerful enough to keep up, but the way she delivered the dialogue fit the spunkiness/goofiness of Rapunzel's character. Also, I found Mother Gothel to be an especially creepy villain because of her use of manipulation and passive/aggressive tactics (a different take on the Disney villain, but just as evil in my opinion).

As for Winnie the Pooh, while the animation is beautiful, I found the story to be dull. Really, this could have been a DTV or made for TV special in my book.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I can't believe that Tangled has been out for four years now ! Seems incredible it's been around so long.
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

I'm really surprised that Winnie The Pooh has so many votes so far. It's my third favorite revival movie after Wreck-it Ralph and Tangled, but I was under the impression that a lot of people found it underwhelmingly short or not good enough/"too direct-to-video-sequel-esque" for Disney's possible last hand-drawn film. Still, I think it's criminally overlooked, since it was such a gorgeously animated and well-written nostalgic treat.

So, yeah, Wreck-it Ralph's my favorite. It's just the revival film that seems the tightest on terms of things like plot holes and structure. The story just seems much better-developed that the other Disney revival films (afterall, it was the one that sparked the "surprise villain" trend. And I think that, by far, it executes this cliche the best. Turbo is actually foreshadowed really well and is used to neatly tie things together and further things along with Felix scared about Ralph "going Turbo" rather than holding the characters back *cough Frozen cough*). Plus, all of the side-characters are well-written and developed compared to the other revival films (I'm thinking mostly of Big Hero 6 here, where the team besides Baymax and Hiro was mostly flat and underdeveloped due to the lack of time and balance. Meanwhile, Wreck-it Ralph balances Vanelope/Ralph and Felix/Calhoun really well).

Also, points for making me cry over and empathize with a character that Sarah Silverman plays. Wreck-it Ralph truly has accomplished the impossible.

Tangled is close, though. Princess and the Frog had a really great cast of memorable characters, a really awesome villain, and had a really adorable romance. Frozen had a better (tighter and more thought-out) story and was stronger on an emotional level. Meanwhile, I feel as if Tangled was the quintessential modern Disney Princess film, aside from the music and animation. It just combines the best of both Frozen and Princess and the Frog.
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

It's hard for me to choose because they've all become favorites.

The Princess and the Frog - don't know if I'm being nostalgic about hand-drawn animation but I enjoy this one the most. The settings in this film are pure beauty and they managed to capture the spirit of New Orleans just beautifully.
The whole voodoo idea is pretty cool, too.

Tangled and Frozen are my #2 and #3, respectively.

Wreck-It-Ralph - I really do love it, it's witty, smart and unlike any of the DAC. I guess I'm more into the princess movies. But it's an awesome film with some very imaginative ideas.

I haven't seen Winnie the Pooh or Big Hero 6.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I'm leaving Big Hero 6 off for now. As much as I like it, I can't tell if I'm just on a post-theater high from it, and I honestly don't know where to rank it anyway. Come back to me when the Blu comes out, unless you're willing to buy me a ticket to see it again, of course. :wink:

1- Princess and the Frog- Yes, there are problems. The pacing's a little off, with the middle swamp act in particular needing to have some fat trimmed out. There are contrivances in the plot, and Randy Newman's work... is Randy Newman. You either love him or hate him, and while I think this has some of his better songs, the soundtrack is fairly forgettable at the end of the day. It is also questionable that the first black protagonist in a DAC is a frog for most of the movie. But what works REALLY works.

Even despite being an amphibian for much of the length, Tiana is a fantastic character. Strong in every sense of the word, with a believable enough story to make her quirks work. I'd go as far as to call her my favorite princess. Dr. Facilier, meanwhile, is equally as great of a villain, effortlessly brought to life by Keith David's voice and some excellent animation. And I do like how instead of a traditional big fight scene climax, the villain's end comes off as a smaller, intimate affair. Naveen's also a likable male lead, and there are great side characters, Charlotte especially being a treat, while Ray's arc compliments the rest of the film pretty well. New Orleans also pops, thanks to some excellent work from the animators. I know this isn't many people's favorite, but you can't convince me that TPATF was not a step in the right direction for Disney.
2- Wreck-It Ralph- You know, I actually just watched this one again recently. While I ultimately think that Vanellope's story is atypical of Lasseter's sob factor fetish, I really do enjoy the movie. I love Ralph's storyline, and the way he amicably returns to his game but finds respect from his peers. I think that Felix, Calhoun, and even Vanellope are likable side characters, each with noticeable quirks that makes them work. The animation is rightfully gorgeous, and helps to add in multiple great jokes about gaming and candy without beating you over the head with them. This is just a fun little movie that fits in well with this current age.
3- Frozen- I'm on the side of people who is pretty sick of Frozen, but I'm not ready to burn my Blu-Ray anytime soon. Granted, when I first saw the film, I instantly had issues with Elsa's arc not feeling complete, Anna and Kristoff not doing much to impress me, many of the songs not winning me over, and Hans' reveal coming off as half-assed. That, and I HATED the trolls.

I still feel that way for all of the above, but for whatever reason, I still like the movie. Similar to Princess, I really like what works for me. Olaf, while hardly my new favorite character, was a lot more likable than I was expecting him to be, and "In Summer" is among my favorite songs from the soundtrack. The animation is by far among Disney's best for CG, with the snow of Arendelle radiating for me. It's a treat to watch for much of the film, aside from the troll sequence, where the atmosphere is almost wholly taken away. And while I do think it contradicts with her story, "Let It Go" really is a great song. Just not Best Disney Movie Ever great.
4- Tangled- Truthfully, I think I'm even more sick of Tangled, though. But I do like enough of it to give the film a thumbs up. I'm not a Mandy Moore hater, since she really does a good job, with Rapunzel herself working as a solid character, but Donna Murphy utterly blows her out of the water, even when she's just speaking. Flynn himself is a strong enough love interest to make him come off as unique, and Zachery Levi does pull him off. And I do like the thugs that help out near the end. Some of Disney's better comedic final fight sequences come from their Vaudeville-esq gags.

But I've lost a considerable amount of interest in the film in the years since it came out. As much as I like Murphy, Gothel's a flat villain, nearly as flat as the chemistry between Rapunzel and Flynn, which I never feel the need to believe, even by the contrived fake-out ending. I'm also less enthused by Pascal and Maximus than I used to be, as before I really enjoyed their comic relief, but now I just don't care. Maximus' pissing contest with Flynn is tired, while I've seen so many better renditions on Pascal's pantomime shtick. And Menken just didn't seem to care about the movie, as his compositions are among his least inspired, by far. Even "Mother Knows Best" sounds lazy as a track in comparison to Murphy's take. This may not do much for me now, but there's enough good for me anyway.
5- Winnie the Pooh- I just watched this for the first time earlier this year. It's a cute movie, more so than most of Pooh's story since the original featurettes, but it really would have benefit from having a lot of the story cut down to allow for another segment or two. There just isn't much here to come back to, I'm afraid.

None of these are perfect (what movie is, though? The Apartment and the Before trilogy, maybe), but at the end of the day, it really has been a good era for Disney. I can't wait to see what they'll try next.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

1. Frozen
2. Wreck-It Ralph
3. The Princess and the Frog
4. Winnie the Pooh
5. Tangled
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I haven't seen BH6 yet, so I'll definitely revisit this thread once I do. I expect it to be on level with WIR.

1. Frozen
2. The Princess and the Frog
3. Wreck-It Ralph
4. Winnie the Pooh
5. Tangled

Frozen and TP&TF are pretty close for me. I know TP&TF wasn't popular with everyone, but I loved that movie's characters, even if the swamp scenes and Louis could've been better than they were. I don't love the cast of characters/voice actors or the medium as much as TP&TF's, but I do like Anna and Elsa very much and most of the musical numbers take the movie to a place none of the other movies from this era has touched on, imo. Anika Noni Rose, Keith David, Idina Menzel, and Kristen Bell all give phenomenal vocals. WIR and WtP are just okay; I don't dislike them, but they're not really "exciting" either. The only thing I fully like about Tangled is Rapunzel, and Donna Murphy's musical performance is strong (even if Gothel is disappointing for me).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

1. Tangled
2. Frozen
4. Winnie the Pooh
5. Wreck it Ralph
6. Big Hero 6
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

Tangled, easily. I don't know what it is, but that movie must have hit ALL the right notes with me because I instantly fell in love it and would rank it my #3 favorite Disney movie after Aladdin and Lion King. What makes it all the more funny is that when I would see the trailers for it like when I'd see Toy Story 3 that summer I thought it looked soo awful, but I ended up seeing it (because this girl I was into at the time wanted to go :lol: ) and just loved it.

Then I'd rank in order: Wreck-it Ralph, Frozen, Princess and the Frog. Haven't seen Big Hero 6 yet and not into Winnie the Pooh.

I really like how Disney is being consistently awesome since Princess and the Frog. Looking at my Blu-ray collection, there aren't any I really feel are worth owning between Treasure Planet and Princess and the Frog... definitely not Disney's best period.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

I still haven't seen Big Hero 6 and I probably won't get to see it during its theatrical run due to money being tight thanks to Christmas shopping and all that. I have no idea of Big Hero 6's plot, characters, story or art style. I've only seen two preview trailers for it. I try to stay away from the development of these films as much as I can so that I can have a true 'experience' when I'm watching them for the first time. So, yeah, Big Hero 6 is not ranked, yet, and I can't really wait to see it and see what I'll make of it. Just based on the CONCEPT, it sounds like something that is just as far away from the stereotypical Disney style as can be. All that being said, this is how I'd rank the films SINCE Princess and the Frog.

1. The Princess and the Frog. The first and, to me, still the best of this 'new' period of Disney, Princess and the Frog has the best characters, the best villain, the best music and the best animation and animation STYLE of all the new batch. The story isn't the most smooth, but, there's not much here that I don't like. It harkened back to the classic Disney style without becoming too much of a rose-tinted throw-back, instead creating its own identity and place in the canon. I don't think Ron Clements and John Musker can do wrong at this point. Not a ONE of their films has let me down. And this one, I think, deserves to stand up there with The Great Mouse Detective, Mermaid, Aladdin and Hercules.

2. Wreck-It Ralph. After Frog, I think this film has the best cast and the most heart. It's a winning film, with a great lead, innovative storyline and a terrific villain. There's not much else I can say except that I saw this something like 3 times in the cinema and have watched it about that many times on home video and I'm still not tired of it yet.

3. Tangled. I don't think Tangled is the greatest film and I don't think it's the worst, but, barring Home on the Range (of course), I do think it's Alan Menken's weakest Disney work to date, constantly reminding us of the heights of Mermaid and Beauty and Aladdin and Hunchback and Hercules and failing to live up to any of those films. I think that's the biggest thing... I said before that Frog managed to tap into our nostalgia without feeling like a throw-back, but Tangled...feels like a throw-back, albeit in CG. It's not bad. It's just not special. But, I do like a great deal about it. Mother Gothel was the highlight of the film, for me, but I don't honestly find the cast that compelling or interesting. And as someone who cherishes CHARACTER above almost anything else, that's my biggest problem.

4. Winnie the Pooh. A charming, very smartly written film that--let's be honest, here--BARELY qualifies as a feature. It's SHORT, folks. Dumbo short. And that's fine...in 1941. In 2011, however, that's too short to really matter much, and, unfortunately, Winnie the Pooh doesn't seem to have mattered much in the years since its (disastrous) debut. I wish I could say something less bleak about it, but it's mostly just innocuous entertainment that the majority of adults are only going to be interested in as automated baby-sitting material. I like the film and all, but, I do have question whether it was the smartest move to hang all of Hand-drawn's hopes on.

5. Frozen. And, to no one's surprise, Frozen ranks last for me. I just don't get it. I've seen the film twice now, once in the theater and once again on cable, and it just completely leaves me cold. I haven't felt this little watching a Disney film since...God, probably Chicken Little or Brother Bear. It just does nothing for me. Wait, scratch that. It frustrates the hell out of me, because I see a good film in there somewhere, buried under the last-minute re-writes and compromises. I don't really care for any of the cast. The music, to me, is bland and unmemorable, the villain is possibly the worst since at least Atlantis. It's just... a mess. The plot contrivances, the pointless twist. The predictable ending. The lack of character development. I didn't like Frozen the first time I saw it. And I thought, well, maybe it was just my mood. I was surprised, because it was the first Disney film since Princess and the Frog that I didn't LIKE. It was the first of all the new films that I didn't feel like rushing out and buying on Blu-ray the week it came out to revisit and see what my opinions were. I felt no hurry to see the film again... So, again, I thought, maybe it was just the foul mood I was in at the theater. I gave it another chance, watched it again on cable and...still, I had this nagging sense that the film was contrived, manipulative, overpraised and dull. And I think that's just how I'm going to feel about this one. I don't want to make anybody who loves it hate it or anything, I just want people to realize that, no, not EVERYONE thought this film was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

1. The Princess and the Frog: The last actual Disney film based on a new idea.

2. Tangled: Even though it's part of the soulless CG age, it plays the closest to a real genuine Disney animated film from the CG crap.

3. Winnie the Pooh: After years and years of mediocrity from WtP films, this one figured things out. Sadly, it may be too late.

4. Frozen: I wish the fans would follow Elsa's advice and let it go.

5. Wreck-It Ralph: Two words: Subway Cup. I can't see this as a Disney film and feel good about myself, although it tried.

6. Big Hero 6: Ew, someone mixed Marvel with my Disney. Now my dinner plate is all messed up. Our worst fears realized.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I read another board's thread on this same topic and they include Bolt as the first film in this Disney animation "revival" (the John Lasseter era). So based on that my list goes like this:

7. Wreck-It Ralph
6. Winnie the Pooh
5. Big Hero 6
4. Bolt
2. Tangled
1. Frozen
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

1. The Princess and the Frog
2. Frozen
3. Tangled
4. Winnie the Pooh
5. Big Hero 6
6. Wreck-It Ralph
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

The top 3 is how I want it but the others will change sometimes depending on re-watches. Here's my personal ranking:

1. Moana
2. Frozen
3. Zootopia
4. Wreck it Ralph
5. Tangled
6. The Princess and the Frog
7. Big Hero 6
8. Winnie The Pooh
9. Bolt
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

milojthatch wrote:1. The Princess and the Frog: The last actual Disney film based on a new idea.

2. Tangled: Even though it's part of the soulless CG age, it plays the closest to a real genuine Disney animated film from the CG crap.

3. Winnie the Pooh: After years and years of mediocrity from WtP films, this one figured things out. Sadly, it may be too late.

4. Frozen: I wish the fans would follow Elsa's advice and let it go.

5. Wreck-It Ralph: Two words: Subway Cup. I can't see this as a Disney film and feel good about myself, although it tried.

6. Big Hero 6: Ew, someone mixed Marvel with my Disney. Now my dinner plate is all messed up. Our worst fears realized.
After seeing Moana, I'm going to update this list sans comments for the the ones I've commented on already.

1. The Princess and the Frog

2. Tangled

3. Winnie the Pooh

4. Moana - Wish it was 2D. LOVED most of the characters, didn't like the singing crab or most of the songs for that matter.

5. Frozen

6. Wreck-It Ralph

7. Zootopia - The politically loaded messages ruins what could have been a real gem. Too bad.

8. Big Hero 6
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney