Current Slate of DTVA

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Television Animation

Post by SWillie! »

Nice! Thanks for compiling everything. It definitely seems like they're really attempting a nice mix of contemporary modern stuff and classics/spinoffs. I'm glad they've been so successful these past couple years. Definitely looking forward to the Haunted Mansion thing.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

I don't know about you but I think Disney is going through what Cartoon Network went through when it was slowly fighting network decay. All I can say I am happy more cartoons are appearing again. I hope as this trend continues this makes the executives see that animated shows/specials are what the people really want. Its times like these that I wish Toon Disney was still here to show all these great series currently and going to be featured. Yeah, I know some of these cartoons probably don't have the same tone and feel as the Disney Afternoon bunch but I can say that they do share that same quality that made us all love switching on the television to see our favorite show is on. I have to say that Phineas and Ferb might be the reason why we are getting more and more quality animated shows. I mean with things like Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, Randy Cunningham 9th grade Ninja, the 7D, and all the other upcoming stuff you do have to wonder if the pair is responsible behind it.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Are you sure "Phineas & Ferb" has completed production? I know there were those TAG and Cartoon Brew posts, but Dan Povenmire, Jeff Marsh and Disney have said nothing about the show being finished and I would put more stock in them. I actually met Povenmire and Marsh a number of weeks back and they gave no indication that they were done with Phineas & Ferb.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Disney TV Animation has jumped the shark. It now feels more like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon than Disney. It's too bad, what I wouldn't give for a return to the "Disney Afternoon" feel of 20+ years ago!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The trailer for Future-Worm! has just been released. It looks absolutely horrendous.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyphilip
Special Edition

Post by disneyphilip »

milojthatch wrote:Disney TV Animation has jumped the shark. It now feels more like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon than Disney. It's too bad, what I wouldn't give for a return to the "Disney Afternoon" feel of 20+ years ago!
I disagree.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Phineas and Ferb ends, goes out with a bang, and Dan Jeff's next project announced:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/animationsco ... w-20150507
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The intro for the series Pickle & Peanut has been released. Why, Disney? Why? :facepalm:
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh my gosh ... Ever so slightly horrifying ! Echoing your sentiment of WHYYYYY right now :?
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

On the other hand they are acquiring Yokai Watch for Disney XD.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsin ... w-pokemon/
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?! :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

disneyphilip wrote:
milojthatch wrote:Disney TV Animation has jumped the shark. It now feels more like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon than Disney. It's too bad, what I wouldn't give for a return to the "Disney Afternoon" feel of 20+ years ago!
I disagree.
Why? Unless you can honestly tell me that Wonder Over Yonder fits with the tones of such classics as Peter Pan, The Jungle Book and The Lion King? In the late 90's, Disney TV Animation was trying to buck the "feel" of traditional Disney tone and not be locked into one kind of show, and hey, I get that. Even Walt Disney liked to play with styles. The difference is between say a Gravity Falls vs. a Gargoyles is that Gargoyles at it's heart still had that Disney tone. Like Greg Weisman once told me, look at Night on Bald Mountain an example of that.So even when DTVA was experimenting, the shows still felt like Disney.

Then we come to today, an era where Disney seems ashamed that they are Disney. You are free to disagree of course (which I'm sure makes the suites at Disney happy), but I feel very strongly that 9 out of 10 times, modern Disney TV Animation lacks that Disney magic that stuff from the 80's, 90's and even early 2000's had. These days Disney is just another studio making ho hum movies and shows, and that makes me sad. :(
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DTVA is producing two new shows: “Billy Dilley’s Super-Duper Subterranean Summer” and “Country Club” to air on Disney XD in 2017 and 2018 respectively. And in true DTVA tradition, they look awful. :)

Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

...Ew.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Again, that is just proving my point. Those character designs for “Billy Dilley’s Super-Duper Subterranean Summer” and “Country Club” feel more at home with Cartoon Network than something with the "Disney" name on it. I want to say I'm disappointed, but at this point, it's kind of expected sadly. I still have hope for DuckTales 2017. I want that to be good. From the promo image, it might have more a Barks feel to it than the original show, which I'm fully down with.

-Walt Disney
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I don't think they look awful. It's just a different style than we're accustomed to from Disney. That sort of style also appears to be what we're seeing coming out of CalArts these days.

Besides, they're just stills. I'm sure in the initial drawings that first came out, Gravity Falls looked weird, but then the final series ended up looking stunningly beautiful and having some of the best animation I've seen from an animated television series.
Last edited by estefan on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

yeah, really not fond of that style coming out of Cal Arts these days... :down:
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Eww... we went from Gravity Falls to...whatever this is?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »