Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives

Post by merlinjones »

If DMC had a program for Blu-Ray Exclusives, maybe this would be a way we dedicated dreamers could get the hi-definition versions of major Walt Disney live-action classics we crave (that don't seem to be headed for general release any time soon). -- Swiss Family Robinson, Pollyanna, Parent Trap!, Old Yeller, 20,000 Leagues, Darby O'Gill, Treasure Island, That Darn Cat!, Thomasina, Dr. Syn, The Moon-Spinners, Summer Magic, In Search of the Castaways, Absent-Minded Professor, Shaggy Dog, Love Bug, etc, etc.

I'm sure that would be a popular program -- and online resellers would support it too.

(...while still continuing the DVD Exclusives for lesser known, as yet unreleased Walt films as well -- Prince and the Pauper, Horsemasters, Sign of Zorro, Light in the Forest, Mosby's Marauders, etc., etc.).
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives?

Post by milojthatch »

I'm not sure that Blu-ray will ever be for anything past retail (which isn't a bad thing), but if what I was told a while ago happens, I think you'll be happy. :D

Just keep your eyes open the next few months...
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

milothatch:

Thank you for hint of optimism.

Darby
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives!!!

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Looks like Disney is taking a page from Warner's book. ;)

The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes 45th Anniversary Edition:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=246691

The Apple Dumpling Gang 40th Anniversary Edition:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=246692

Only at the Disney Movie Club.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Darby wrote: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:23 am milothatch:

Thank you for hint of optimism.

Darby
Of course I could be wrong...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=246691

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=246692

I was made aware of a number of classic Disney films that would be coming to Bluray (of which these two were part of that list). What I didn't know (when I posted my last comments on this thread) was that they would be DMC Exclusives. If what I was told stays true, I think there will be a lot of happy campers here the next several months!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives!!!

Post by Avaitor »

Cool!

I do like The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, although not so much the Apple Dumpling Gang movies. I'd consider the former if there was more punch to it, and if I had a DMC account, of course. As of now, I'm really waiting for the Pollyanna and Absent-Minded Professor releases Disney promised earlier.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

I hope these releases will actually be restored and OAR.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Disney Guru wrote:I hope these releases will actually be restored and OAR.
That's the biggest thing I don't know and I too hope this is the case. If it is, I'm ready to replace my DVD's. If not, then my DVD's are good enough!

-Walt Disney
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Avaitor wrote:Cool!

I do like The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, although not so much the Apple Dumpling Gang movies. I'd consider the former if there was more punch to it, and if I had a DMC account, of course. As of now, I'm really waiting for the Pollyanna and Absent-Minded Professor releases Disney promised earlier.
You might want to get that DMC account then...

...or you could wait and let the chips falls. Either way...

-Walt Disney
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

I love DMC! I got all the new release for this week for $60 aftery VIP discounts! I'm glad I've kept them. I will be ordering both moving on the 9th!
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

That is exciting news about the Blu-Ray releases, but I do hope they continue releasing DMC Exclusives on DVD as well (especially The Prince and the Pauper) as I have no interest in upgrading to Blu-Ray.

Darby
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

I have previously sent the following email to DMC and did receive a stock reply (i.e. the typical "thank you for you email, we will forward it to the appropriate department, etc."):

"I have been a longtime member of the Disney Movie Club and I would like to respectfully advocate for releasing The Prince and the Pauper (1962) starring Sean Scully and Guy Williams as a DMC Exclusive. The Prince and the Pauper first aired as a three-part television show on the Walt Disney anthology series on March 11, 18, and 25, 1962. The three episodes were entitled “The Pauper King, “The Merciful Law of the King,” and “Long Live the Rightful King.” It was later released theatrically in Europe in a 93-minute version (this shorter edited version is currently available via Amazon Instant Video). Please consider releasing the full three 50-minute television episodes from the Walt Disney anthology television series as a DMC Exclusive. If you read any reviews of the 93-minute theatrical version, one of the consistent complaints from viewers is that it feels like major plot elements are missing (which, of course, happens when a 150-minute program is edited down to 93 minutes).

Your truly outstanding DMC Exclusive release of The Magnificent Rebel would be an exceptional example to follow. Similar to The Prince and the Pauper, The Magnificent Rebel first aired as a two-part television show on the Walt Disney anthology series on November 18 and 25, 1962 and it too was released theatrically in Europe in a shorter edited version. Your laudable DMC Exclusive release of The Magnificent Rebel fully preserved the two full 50-minute television episodes and even included the Wonderful World of Color opening titles for Parts 1 and 2, Walt’s intros for Parts 1 and 2, Walt’s ending for Part 1, the preview of next week’s Part 2 episodes, and the full credits for both parts. It was as complete a release of The Magnificent Rebel as any fan could hope for. I urge you to release The Prince and the Pauper in a similarly comprehensive fashion. It is arguably the best filmed version of the Mark Twain story and I would love for a newer generation of viewers (including my own children) to be exposed to this genuine gem from the Disney Vault.

Thank you in advance for your consideration."

Darby
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

I'm happy about these Blu-rays, and I hope there are many more, however, while I'm ok with them being without a dvd copy, i wish they included a code for a digital copy. Including a digital copy would make them more future-proof and make their purchase more of an enticing value.
MichaeLeah
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MichaeLeah »

I received the two new blu-rays today. I am watching TCWT and the picture looks amazing. However, on TADG the wonderful bonus features that were on the DVD have ALL been dropped. Neither blu-ray has any bonus features.
My avatar is from Tony's Town Square Restaurant. What else would we do over a plate of spaghetti with meatballs?
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

MichaeLeah wrote:I received the two new blu-rays today. I am watching TCWT and the picture looks amazing. However, on TADG the wonderful bonus features that were on the DVD have ALL been dropped. Neither blu-ray has any bonus features.
Are they OAR?
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Disney Guru wrote:
MichaeLeah wrote:I received the two new blu-rays today. I am watching TCWT and the picture looks amazing. However, on TADG the wonderful bonus features that were on the DVD have ALL been dropped. Neither blu-ray has any bonus features.
Are they OAR?
Based on IMdB and Blu-ray.com, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes is NOT in it's correct aspect ratio on the blu-ray. Both list the aspect ratio at 1:75.1 while the blu-ray presents the film in a 1:66.1 ratio. That said, it's much closer than the 1:33.1 ratio found on the DVD.

-Walt Disney
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Are the DMC exclusive Blus going retail soon?:

http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... 11014_1430

"Disney is confirmed to be releasing a number of live-action classics on Blu-ray as exclusives to their Disney Movie Club, but they’re all expected to be released widely in 2015. Included are The Apple Dumpling Gang: 40th Anniversary Edition and The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes: 45th Anniversary Edition (made available on 9/9), the Herbie Rides Again: 40th Anniversary Edition (coming on 12/2), and The Love Bug: 45th Anniversary Edition (coming on 12/16). An Escape to Witch Mountain: 40th Anniversary Edition is also expected to be announced soon. Thanks to Bits reader Bill M. for the heads-up."
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

These haven't even been in the club for that long, so why bother making them exclusive at all to begin with?
chadhobbick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by chadhobbick »

Disney just needs to suck it up and go the route of WAC and have a store set up where you can purchase these exclusive DMC dvd and blu-ray discs. I used to be a member of the DMC and well it got to the point where I had to remember to log in each month just to decline the monthly title. I kept the membership b/c I wanted the exclusive discs, but then they seemed to not care anymore so I was done. To be honest I would be more than willing to pay $30 per blu-ray disc if Disney would set something up. I just want the live-action Disney catalog available to me on disc, preferably blu-ray.
I find you pompous, judgemental, and completely self-absorbed.........would you be my friend?
gallandro

Post by gallandro »

I'm pretty certain The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes IS in the right aspect ratio. Most Disney live action films of that era, and many of their animated productions, were still using 1:66:1