Star Wars: The Force Awakens

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: Star Wars Episode VII (2015)

Post by Kyle »

You guys are weird, I've been to a number of forums talking about it and this is the first one with any real negativity toward the movie. I loved it and any nitpicks I have are pretty minor could easily turn around in the next episode. I'm going to see it a second time in a few hours, this time in 3D.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Saw it and loved it (along with my dad, he can't stop humming the classic closing theme)! I was heartbroken that they killed Han too. I was kind of hoping not, but it was there in black and white.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I saw this Thursday evening at 7pm in IMAX 3D. I enjoyed it but it was overwhelming. I saw it again today in regular 3D and I found myself enjoying it much more on the second viewing. Although, it is MUCH better in IMAX 3D. So, then I saw it again this evening in IMAX 3D and I found myself enjoying it even more.

One thing I enjoyed about the Prequels was all of the different worlds and all of the background aliens and ships and whatever. There was so much shown in those worlds, it was very dense and I like that. This one is a bit more sparse, there are still plenty of new aliens and things that would make great toys/action figures/statues or whatever.

Anyway, as a lifelong fan, I enjoyed this and look forward to more.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Kyle wrote:You guys are weird, I've been to a number of forums talking about it and this is the first one with any real negativity toward the movie.
This was a recent Disney release with lots of CGI, no princesses or songs. Of course people here hated it. :P
Last edited by Flanger-Hanger on Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silvershade

Post by Silvershade »

Saw it, loved it, laughed at it, cried at it, proud of it. While I'm one of the many not too proud of the prequels, the movie could have at least given them some respect for their attempts that did contribute to the franchise, like Palpatine and Anakin's influence, or the many worlds. But I still felt so nostalgic, and currently have some theories that some people may still be alive. You guys know who I'm talking about. :wink:
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:
Kyle wrote:You guys are weird, I've been to a number of forums talking about it and this is the first one with any real negativity toward the movie.
This was a recent Disney release with lots of CGI, no princesses or songs. Of course people here hated it.
Or we just have this thing scientists like to call "an opinion". I seriously don't get people who just assume such nonsense because someone is critical of something. You have NO IDEA what the reasons are behind my criticisms so please, review the movie based on your own and stop making ridiculous accusations and downplaying the opinions of others who don't share your views. What a childish remark.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Silvershade wrote:and currently have some theories that some people may still be alive. You guys know who I'm talking about. :wink:
Don't forget Lucasfilm and Disney have another franchise to milk with said person. Unless he's in the space between spaces with inter-dimensional beings.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

The movie had its fair share of issues (being pretty much an uninspired remake of Episode IV, for start) but I'll be damned if it wasn't a fun ride. I enjoyed every minute of it. Hopefully sequels will bring something truly new to the table.

Oh, and I'll never understand why people have trouble with beloved characters dying in movies. It raises stakes for other characters and shows the gravity of the situation. At least Han Solo wasn't killed off-screen in-between RotJ and TFA.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

DancingCrab wrote:
Flanger-Hanger wrote: This was a recent Disney release with lots of CGI, no princesses or songs. Of course people here hated it.
Or we just have this thing scientists like to call "an opinion". I seriously don't get people who just assume such nonsense because someone is critical of something. You have NO IDEA what the reasons are behind my criticisms so please, review the movie based on your own and stop making ridiculous accusations and downplaying the opinions of others who don't share your views. What a childish remark.
:roll:

My post was obviously made in jest, but maybe I should have included a smilie to make that clearer.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I haven't even seen it yet, but you guys who have are being way too negative.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

I'm ok with Han's death as I think Poe Dameron will be the new Han in this trilogy.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

milojthatch wrote: Just be honest, Abrams basically re-made Episode 4 for the second time. He already did it once with his 2009 Star Trek and he has done it again. How many times is this man going to be praised for remaking the same film? Which he didn't even originate? Seems odd to me in an age where film goers keep complaining about there not being anything original in Hollywood anymore that JJ Abrams keeps getting this pass.
Bingo. I didn't hate this film but it felt and played way too safe. This was very obviously Disney trying not piss off the fanboys and trying pandering in fear of being branded "prequel".

I do like some of the creatures and practical effects. I like the space pirate corridor scene and the finn vs electric baton stormtrooper.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

This was a lot of fun! The original trilogy is always going to be held in high esteem but I'd put this above Return of the Jedi at least (and obviously ahead of the prequel trilogy mess :lol: ).

The main pluses - they cast actors with actual charisma (Rey and Finn are fantastic new leads), and the production design and environments were beautiful and tangible. Having a modern era Star Wars film with actually interesting cinematography, compared to the awful, dull, and cluttered green-screen nightmares of Episodes I-III, truly was a visual spectacle.

I noticed the parallels with the original but I didn't really care because this version had a lot of its own advantages, and they obviously knew what they were doing. This was a good way to get fans excited about Star Wars again, so hopefully the sequels show a little more originality in terms of plot.

I saw Han Solo's death coming a mile away but I still thought it was a great plot development to raise the stakes. Plus Harrison Ford kind of hates Star Wars so it was a good way to get him out of it :lol: He did a great job reprising the role one last time for the fans though. Next film should be Mark Hammill's time to shine.

Finn...wow, what a HUGE disappointment his performance was. He belonged in the Prequel trilogy, not this Star Trek version of Star Wars that Abrams has created. Awful.
I beg to differ! He added not only humor, but humanity to the cast, and John Boyega is a great actor. The prequels are known for awful acting (largely a direction problem) and flat, soulless characters so he'd stick out like a sore thumb in those.
LADY Image CLUCK
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I saw it last night and let me tell you something.

Ever since this movie was announced back in 2012, literally just after Disney acquired Lucasfilm, I thought I would be ready for this. But I wasn't. This movie blew my mind in a way that the Death Star could blow up a planet and in all honesty, this is the kind of movie that the prequel trilogy should have been. The acting was legitimately genuine, the humor wasn't awkward or out of place and the battles were fantastic!

I will admit that I kind of overreacted when it was revealed that Kylo Ren was Han and Leia's son. I guess evil skips a generation... And even though I should've seen it coming, I still screamed, "NO!!!!" when Kylo/Ben killed Han. Loud enough that I'm sure literally everyone inside and outside the theater could hear me...

But overall, this movie is fantastic and a worthy addition to the Star Wars saga. I WILL see this again and again! ;)
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I saw this last night. I've never been a huge Star Wars fan, but I like the OT well enough, though, like most, I'm not big on the prequels. So with that in mind... While I think I need to see it again to make a better judgment, I really enjoyed this film and thought it was a pretty great entry into the franchise

First off, I loved all of the new characters. Rey, Finn, Po, and Kylo Ren were all great additions to the series, and honestly, I think they'll easily be able to carry the new trilogy. And of course, BB8 was a scene stealer. I've seen a lot of comments about Finn being a terrible character, but I don't get it. The actor gave a great performance, and the him turning over from the First Order gives him quite a different angle to play off of compared to all of the other main characters in the series. Yes, he is kinda awkward and ends up fumbling a bit next to Rey, but he has the most heart, and I'm looking forward to where they'll take his character next.

I've seen lots of comments regarding Finn's ability to wield the lightsaber, and Rey's very quick mastery of the force, and those are big questions for me too. Though is it just me, or was Finn shown to be Force sensitive? (To me, it appeared like Finn "felt" the fear of all of the people on those planets BEFORE they were blown up by the Star Killer.) I always thought that the Lightsaber could only be wielded by Force users, but maybe Finn will also be shown to have a strong connection to the force, which then would make this a non-issue. As for Rey, her history is still too much of a mystery, so I'm willing to give it a pass for now. But it did seem a bit much that it took her half a film to master what took Luke an entire trilogy. Unless, it wasn't Anakin or Luke who was prophesied to bring balance to the Force, but was in fact her! 8) We will, see, I guess. Though it was quite refreshing to see a woman get such a central and strong hero role in a franchise as big as Star Wars.

As for the much talked-about Han Solo death, I'm unsure of how I feel about it.... or maybe I'm conflicted. On the one hand, it's super depressing that our original trio's happy ending was completely destroyed. They had a pretty tough life after ROTJ, and in some ways it kinda ruins the original ending. (Though this is true of many sequels). That said, I don't think I agree with the criticism about the portrayal of the death itself. I've seen a lot of comments that people were disappointed that he didn't get a heroic death, and that it was disappointing that he was simply murdered. But I don't see it like that. First off, he was there in the first place to save entire planets of people. But more important, he died trying to save his son. It was a sad and depressing end, that's for sure. But seeing him touch his son's face one last time before his death shows just how far his character had come. A lot about him hadn't changed, but deep down, he was a very different man from the one we saw in the original film.

One last thing... Am I the only one who had expected Leia to become a Jedi after the events of ROTJ? She is a general now, which I guess is a big deal, but I don't know.... that seemed like a missed opportunity to me.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I very much enjoyed it. I'll forgive the fact that it's essentially a remake of Star Wars.

The ending will no doubt become one of the more iconic movie endings in recent memory. It was perfect.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Why the heck is literally everyone saying this is a cookie cutter rehash of Episode IV?? Yeah, it has a ton of parallels, but I just don't understand.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

I see it too. I think nowadays though in general, people seem to consider anything that's similar as "rip-off" or "remake".
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

DisneyJedi wrote:Why the heck is literally everyone saying this is a cookie cutter rehash of Episode IV?? Yeah, it has a ton of parallels, but I just don't understand.

Spoilers!!!!

There were *some* similarities but it wasn't a remake. There was another super weapon but JJ explained that as the First Order's attempt to show they were better than the Empire was. It was similar but I thought that the idea of sucking the power out of a sun and using a hyperspace gate to project it's firepower wherever they wanted was pretty cool. There were some parallels in story structure but there were in previous movies too. Star Wars Ring Theory for more info about that: http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Just saw it a second time and it is pretty awesome. The direction, writing, characters, effects, production, it's all pretty great to see all this effort on the big screen. Yeah some story beats do feel a little similar to the original Star Wars from 1977 but it does sort of differentiate itself where at first you don't notice.

It is the movie where I would argue is worth multiple watches, this is a 4.5 out of 5 for me. :)
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan