Re: Star Wars Episode VII (2015)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The new Star Wars: The Force Awakens Japan trailer has loads of new footage
http://thedisneyblog.com/2015/11/06/the ... w-footage/
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

The terminally-ill Stars Wars fan who got his last wish to see The Force Awakens has died...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dan ... al-n460556
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Dang, this guy is everywhere

Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote music for Star Wars: The Force Awakens

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/01/li ... 73a32af2c0
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

George Lucas' thoughts (the good news; it seems positive!):

http://geektyrant.com/news/george-lucus ... ce-awakens
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

6 days left!!!
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

The reviews are coming in for this, and they are quite positive.

Unfortunately, I've inadvertently ran into some major spoilers for the movie... Still, I'm looking forward to it.

Honestly, I never thought I'd find myself hyped for a Star Wars movie!
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

ce1ticmoon wrote:The reviews are coming in for this, and they are quite positive.

Unfortunately, I've inadvertently ran into some major spoilers for the movie... Still, I'm looking forward to it.

Honestly, I never thought I'd find myself hyped for a Star Wars movie!

I love how everybody is getting hyped about this movie…It's literally everywhere…although I remember when seeing the prequels(which I thought weren't that bad at all) in the cinema, people were going crazy as well. :P
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

Went to a midnight showing here in the UK... the manager even ran a small competition prior to the screening to win one of their spare cinema scale Force Awakens promo posters, and we got one of them :)

(eBay fodder? Will see if there's a market for it heh)

Okay, spoilers? To be honest, I'm not going to say much explicitly until more people have seen the film anyhow. The film is good imo. You can see quite a few harks to ANH in general, and it drags a little in a couple of places, but it's mostly a ride like ANH was. I think in the context of matters, it will take both another screening to formulate a more complete opinion, AND having the other two films exist first because this is being written deliberately as a trilogy (whereas ANH stood alone, and then ESB and RotJ came as a pairing).

Both myself and my brother noted there were a few bits from the trailers that were NOT in the film. So we wonder if they were changed/edited before final cut, or just deliberately filmed for the trailers. Something for the extras on the future Blu-Ray! :p

PROS

- The flying battles are utterly superb, especially the first Falcon chase.
- How Kylo Ren has been written and acted, THAT'S how Anakin Skywalker should have been in the prequel trilogy.
- You've never seen a wookie looking so angry before.
- Ackbar!
- Wasn't afraid to show teeth occasionally and go bit darker than any of the previous films did.

CONS

- The humour between Han and Chewie was almost there, but felt a little forced a couple of times.
- Not nearly enough Phasma, hopefully we'll see what she can do in EP8.
- Spies are everywhere, you'd think there'd be a safe place in the galaxy to run to!
- Perhaps touches on the plot of ANH a bit too much.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Mayhem wrote:

CONS

- The humour between Han and Chewie was almost there, but felt a little forced a couple of times.
- Not nearly enough Phasma, hopefully we'll see what she can do in EP8.
- Spies are everywhere, you'd think there'd be a safe place in the galaxy to run to!
- Perhaps touches on the plot of ANH a bit too much.
Just be honest, Abrams basically re-made Episode 4 for the second time. He already did it once with his 2009 Star Trek and he has done it again. How many times is this man going to be praised for remaking the same film? Which he didn't even originate? Seems odd to me in an age where film goers keep complaining about there not being anything original in Hollywood anymore that JJ Abrams keeps getting this pass.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

I think I know why this movie is called The Force Awakens now... It's not talking about THE FORCE, it's talking about The Force(d) writing, acting and directing being awoken.

(MAJOR) SPOILERS BELOW
Kylo Ren was the best part about the movie. I wanted to see more of him and I am very interested in following his story.

Rey was adequate, I don't feel emotionally invested in her yet because her story is still left a mystery (Though it seems rather obvious where it's going)

Finn...wow, what a HUGE disappointment his performance was. He belonged in the Prequel trilogy, not this Star Trek version of Star Wars that Abrams has created. Awful.

Han was the second best part about the movie, and well, I felt gutted right along with him at that point and was too depressed seeing one of my childhood heroes die, that I couldn't enjoy the movie very much from that point on. It reminded me of how I felt in Serenity when Wash was killed. Maybe I just need to make peace with it and then I will view it for it's storytelling qualities, but right now, it just brought me down.

Lea was just there. She was given nothing that added to the movie.

Was it better than the prequels? Of course, those movies were the worst. Did it touch the original trilogy? Not by a long shot.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

DancingCrab wrote:I think I know why this movie is called The Force Awakens now... It's not talking about THE FORCE, it's talking about The Force(d) writing, acting and directing being awoken.

(MAJOR) SPOILERS BELOW
Kylo Ren was the best part about the movie. I wanted to see more of him and I am very interested in following his story.

Rey was adequate, I don't feel emotionally invested in her yet because her story is still left a mystery (Though it seems rather obvious where it's going)

Finn...wow, what a HUGE disappointment his performance was. He belonged in the Prequel trilogy, not this Star Trek version of Star Wars that Abrams has created. Awful.

Han was the second best part about the movie, and well, I felt gutted right along with him at that point and was too depressed seeing one of my childhood heroes die, that I couldn't enjoy the movie very much from that point on. It reminded me of how I felt in Serenity when Wash was killed. Maybe I just need to make peace with it and then I will view it for it's storytelling qualities, but right now, it just brought me down.

Lea was just there. She was given nothing that added to the movie.

Was it better than the prequels? Of course, those movies were the worst. Did it touch the original trilogy? Not by a long shot.
I saw Han's death a mile away. Ford wanted him dead, he wants to make Indiana Jones movies, so at this point I fail to see how this is even a spoiler. This was kind of known for a while, even long before Disney had anything to do with it.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heil Donald Duck »

And Disney continues to ruin classic stuff,
Der Fuehrer's Face is the greatest Donald Duck cartoon ever made.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

milojthatch wrote:I saw Han's death a mile away. Ford wanted him dead, he wants to make Indiana Jones movies, so at this point I fail to see how this is even a spoiler. This was kind of known for a while, even long before Disney had anything to do with it.
Be that as it may, it was still upsetting to the kid in me who loved his character, maybe even more so because of the lame way it was built up and executed. Also, not everyone reads the interviews and knows the behind the scenes stuff about Harrison wanting Han dead, so it's still a pretty big spoiler to the vast majority who just watch the movies.
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heil Donald Duck »

milojthatch wrote: I saw Han's death a mile away. Ford wanted him dead, he wants to make Indiana Jones movies, so at this point I fail to see how this is even a spoiler. This was kind of known for a while, even long before Disney had anything to do with it.
I don't fault Ford for wanting to do Indiana Jones movies as Indiana is far more interesting character at this point than Solo. Recall reading along these lines that Ford wanted Solo dead. My problem however is how unimaginative an uninspiring and down right depressing the sequence is, its nether heroic or imaginative its just basicallyfather arguing with is drug addict son. and we all know what comes out of such kind of argument it can never have positive spin. It was more imaginative when Solo was killed by native Americans in that comic book from EU. If you are killing off heroic character then let the character have heroic death. Maybe something similar to Spock in the original Trek films. Other wise viewers will be unessery depressing.
Der Fuehrer's Face is the greatest Donald Duck cartoon ever made.
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

Heil Donald Duck wrote:Other wise viewers will be unessery depressing.
I think that was the point. It was a scene, and a situation that many people, on both sides, may have gone through and experienced, and thus they could relate. A father arguing with his son and trying to make him see what the right path is, but the son rejecting his father's advice and wisdom.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...