Star Wars: The Force Awakens

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Star Wars Episode VII (2015)

Post by ce1ticmoon »

There is a very intentional (whether you think that's good or bad) mirroring of a lot of story beats from Star Wars (and even ESB and ROTJ), but I do think some of the "remake" and "rip-off" criticisms are a bit overstated. I wouldn't say it is unreasonable to to criticize it for playing it safe (they definitely played to nostalgia), but I think there is enough there to differentiate it from the original trilogy.

There was a lot riding on this movie, especially after the backlash that the prequel trilogy got, so it is understandable that they made the choices they did. Now that they've established the new generation of characters and have the audience pulled back into this universe, they can start taking the series in a new direction starting in Episode VIII. Rian Johnson seems like he is a good fit for that job.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

I am not a Star Wars fan, but this movie was awesome! I do have the others on digital HD and I will be catching up. I did watch a few but wasn't really into them. I am going to rewatch them. This movie was awesome and I love the new characters and glad it's doing great in the box office breaking records. :D :up:
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Long live the Franchise:
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

Well, this was honestly the most fun I've had in a movie theatre in a long time. My audience was great. A huge, multigenerational crowd that was split evenly between opposite genders, yet everybody was super into it. That's why I love this franchise so much. TFA has the power to reach out to everyone rather than only the hard-core fans, and they didn't waste that opportunity at all to hook as many people as possible. Sure, it does share similarities with A New Hope, and I understand why fans could be upset at that, but this felt more like a revival than a reboot. There's a big difference there, and it worked. I honestly cared much more for Finn and Rey than anyone during the original trilogy. Rey's development was so much more satisfying than Luke's since her character was just so much more likeable.

Also, Kylo Ren was the Star Wars villain I never knew I wanted. He was really well-written for a film-franchise that is largely about the effects that both biological and adoptive parents have on their offspring. Ending spoilers/speculation:Better yet, his issues with his parents make it even more satisifying when Rey beat him and ran off to go find Luke, especially if Luke is indeed Rey's father. Rey is avoiding the mistake that lured Ben to the dark side, namingly losing hope in family.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Think about the original trilogy.

Oh no a death star! Gotta defeat it! Oh no, another death star, plus this guy's my father! Gotta defeat them! Oh no, my father and the emperor who were the ones behind the death star! Gotta defeat them!

Then something about clones and Padme having the the twins, Anakin getting melted, and "Noooooo!"

Now this new one - Oh no, a bigger death star! Gotta defeat it!

Admittedly, the movie this new film is most like is A New Hope, but it was still DIFFERENT ENOUGH! And I thought something QUITE different was a certain death of character I didn't think they'd dare to do! Han Solo's! Yes, I know Harrison wanted out of Star Wars but I thought he was too integral to off like that!

Anyway, I liked the movie a lot!
Tangled wrote:Rey is avoiding the mistake that lured Ben to the dark side, namingly losing hope in family.
I don't remember hearing that Ben got lured to the dark side because of family. Because his dad, Han, and his mom, Leia, split up? That's what you think? Or know?
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote:Think about the original trilogy.

Oh no a death star! Gotta defeat it! Oh no, another death star, plus this guy's my father! Gotta defeat them! Oh no, my father and the emperor who were the ones behind the death star! Gotta defeat them!

Then something about clones and Padme having the the twins, Anakin getting melted, and "Noooooo!"

Now this new one - Oh no, a bigger death star! Gotta defeat it!

Admittedly, the movie this new film is most like is A New Hope, but it was still DIFFERENT ENOUGH! And I thought something QUITE different was a certain death of character I didn't think they'd dare to do! Han Solo's! Yes, I know Dennis wanted out of Star Wars but I thought he was too integral to off like that!

Anyway, I liked the movie a lot!
Tangled wrote:Rey is avoiding the mistake that lured Ben to the dark side, namingly losing hope in family.
I don't remember hearing that Ben got lured to the dark side because of family. Because his dad, Han, and his mom, Leia, split up? That's what you think? Or know?
The least you could do if you're going make an opinion on a franchise, is get the actor's name for Han Solo right. It's Harrison Ford. Not ....DENNIS, Mike.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The films are great, just saying the stories in all of them have similarities.

I confused Harrison Ford with Dennis Quad. You see, I forget about so much stuff...
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Both Amazon US and CA are reporting a 4/5 date for the Blu-ray and DVD! :D
kenai3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by kenai3000 »

The Force Awakens is now the only film in American history to have hit 800 & 900 million dollars at the US Box Office without inflation. Good job Star Wars, and for the record I loved this movie and have seen it 11 times.
Disney is awesome, and was the biggest part of my childhood.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

3D BLU-RAY COLLECTOR'S EDITION ANNOUNCED!!!!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19607

"Disney has announced that it will release on 3D Blu-ray Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 3D. The four-disc 3D Blu-ray Collector's Edition will be available for purchase on November 15.

This fall, Star Wars fans around the world, will experience a galaxy far, far away—up close and in eye-popping 3D—through the highly anticipated "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" 3D Collector's Edition, rolling out beginning Oct. 31 (overseas territories) and arriving in the United States and Canada on Nov 15.

For the first time—and just in time for the holidays—viewers can bring home Lucasfilm's "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" in 3D, encased in stunning, collectible packaging. The exclusive four-disc 3D Collector's Edition contains the original theatrical release on Blu-ray 3D™, Blu-ray™, Digital HD and DVD, along with originally released bonus features and brand-new bonus material, including additional deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes conversations with cast and crew and revealing, never-before released audio commentary by director J.J. Abrams.

NOTE: Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer. NEW BONUS CONTENT IS AVAILABLE IN THE 3D COLLECTOR'S EDITION PACKAGE ONLY.

SPECIAL FEATURES: •NEW Audio Commentary with J.J. Abrams – Enter the mind of visionary director J.J. Abrams as he reveals the creative and complex choices made while developing the first film in the new Star Wars trilogy.
•Foley: A Sonic Tale – Foley artists, consisting of old pros and new talent, unite to bring the world of Star Wars: The Force Awakens alive through the matching of sound to action.
•Sounds of the Resistance – Hear how the epic sound design of Star Wars: The Force Awakens moves the Star Wars legacy forward.
•Deleted Scenes – View never-before-shared scenes that didn't make the film's final cut.
•Dressing the Galaxy – Costume designer Michael Kaplan reveals how the costumes of the original Star Wars movies were re-envisioned for a new generation.
•The Scavenger and the Stormtrooper: A Conversation with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega – The two new stars share the thrill of working together on the adventure of a lifetime and becoming part of the Star Wars legacy.
•Inside the Armory – Take a fascinating tour through the design and creation of the weaponry in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
•Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from the April release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens include the complete story behind the making of the film, an unforgettable cast table read, insights from legendary composer John Williams, and deleted scenes, as well as features that dig deeper into the creation of new characters such as BB-8, the design of the climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren, the film's remarkable digital artistry, and the Star Wars: Force for Change global aid initiative.

INTERNATIONAL RELEASE DATES:
•Australia: November 9
•Holland: October 31
•Sweden: October 31
•Brazil: November 16
•Italy: November 2
•Canada: November 15
•Germany: November 24
•Spain: November. 2"
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

A newer edition with more bonuses? Are you kidding?? :|
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

STAR WARS!! Chewbacca Comes Very Close To Dismembering Unkar Plutt In New AWAKENS Blu-ray Deleted Scene!!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/76529

‘The Force Awakens’ Audio Commentary: JJ Abrams Explains Kylo Ren’s Intentions in Han Solo Confrontation
http://www.slashfilm.com/the-force-awak ... ommentary/
blackcauldron85

Here we get two new clips from The Force Awakens audio commentary, both of which seem to suggest that reshooting Star Wars scenes might result in a better film
http://www.slashfilm.com/force-awakens-reshoots/
blackcauldron85

Lots of interesting things from J.J. Abrams' audio commentary from the brand-new three-disc release:
http://mummiesandlightsabers.tumblr.com ... ry-for-the
(via aintitcool.com and slashfilm.com)
blackcauldron85

Watch How BB-8’s Voice Was Created for ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’
http://www.slashfilm.com/bb-8-voice-featurette/
blackcauldron85

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv_hGITmNuo[/youtube]
(via laughingplace.com)
blackcauldron85

Mark Hamill Had a Different, More Emotional Ending in Mind for ‘The Force Awakens’
http://www.slashfilm.com/mark-hamill-th ... te-ending/
blackcauldron85

Here’s How C-3PO Got His Red Arm Before The Force Awakens
http://dorksideoftheforce.com/2016/04/1 ... e-awakens/
blackcauldron85

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Really neat early Kylo Ren concept art:
http://www.fandom.com/curated/christian ... th-brother
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I really get Vader vibes from that, even moreso than from the final design. I'm glad they changed it though.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey