Cruella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cruella (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

Cruella is performing a bit better than expected at the box office.
Disney’s Cruella, did $7.7M on Friday, including Thursday previews, for what will be a $22.3M 3-day opening, $27.3M estimated 4-day at 3,892 theaters, for a $7K per theater.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/05/a-quiet-pl ... 234766021/
Disney’s Cruella posted $7.2M on Saturday, -6% from Friday ‘s $7.7M, including Thursday previews. Disney is calling the weekend at $21.3M with the four day at $26.5M at 3,892 theaters, for a $6,8K per theater.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/05/a-quiet-pl ... 234766021/
Also new was Disney’s Cruella with $16.1M in 29 material markets, or about 60% of the offshore footprint. That’s good for a global opening of $37.4M through Sunday. The overseas weekend take is under the $20M projections we were hearing ahead of the debut — likely impacted by recent closures in Australia and Japan — although critical and social sentiment is encouraging.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/05/a-quiet-pl ... 234766618/
Disney’s live-action origins story opened to $16.1M in 29 material markets, taking No. 1s in many with encouraging reviews and social sentiment. The global bow was $37.4M including the FSS in North America. With Memorial Day Monday factored in, the start was $42.6M worldwide.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/05/a-quiet-pl ... 234766618/
Paramount’s A Quiet Place Part II grossed $4.2M yesterday, which is the best Tuesday recorded at the domestic box office since the onset of Covid in mid-March of last year. Disney’s Cruella, which is also available on Disney+ Premier for $29.99, didn’t do too bad, making $2.098M, which would rank behind Godzilla vs. Kong as the third highest Tuesday during the pandemic.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/06/a-quiet-pl ... 234768031/
Even the No. 3 title, Disney’s Cruella, did well, posting a $11.2M second weekend at 3,922, -48%, after a $3.28M Friday, -57%. Ten-day total for Cruella is $43.6M.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/06/conjuring- ... 234769966/
Also after debuting last frame, Disney’s Cruella saw a scant 7% drop in those same opening markets, taking $18.6M in a total of 36 material territories. That lifts the offshore cume to $43.4M and gives the Emma Stone-starrer a worldwide total of $87.1M. Cruella kicked off in China today, a rare Sunday launch, and grossed $1.8M at No. 4.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/06/quiet-plac ... 234770121/
Disney’s third weekend of Cruella at 3,307 theaters (-615) took in a Friday of $2.1M (-35%) on its way to a projected $6.8M in 5th place, -38%, for a running total of $56.1M.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/06/in-the-hei ... 234774162/
Disney’s Cruella picked up another $17.6M in 39 material markets to lift the offshore cume to $73.3M and global to $129.3M. The overseas hold was -25% — though that excludes China since the Emma Stone-starrer bowed there on a Sunday. Things are looking up for Cruella in the Middle Kingdom with its second Sunday 33% above opening day. The film has grossed $10.7M in China to date and has a healthy 9.2 Maoyan score; the ticketing platform has increased its full projection to $18M, which is not great, but is better than the $5M it was seeing last Sunday.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/06/conjuring- ... 234774349/
While it’s not ideal for exhibition that a Disney movie like Cruella is available on Disney+ Premier and in theaters, circuits will take whatever available cash is out there, and the Emma Stone movie has at least delivered a running total north of $64M.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/06/ryan-reyno ... 234777056/
Disney’s Cruella has reached $160M global after a 32% drop internationally that scored $12M for the weekend from 41 markets. The offshore cume to date is $95.2M with France releasing this coming week — the movie is theatrical only in the market, despite the presence of Disney+.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/06/f9-300-mil ... 234778395/
Cruella (Dis) 2,380 (-440) theaters Fri $865K (-23%)/Sat $975K/Sun $716K/3-day $2.55M (-32%)/4-day $3.2M/Total $77.2M/Wk 6
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/07/boss-baby- ... 234785567/
Also hitting a milestone, Disney’s Cruella crossed $200M global in its sixth weekend. Of the worldwide total $204.4M, $127.8M is from 43 overseas markets. The weekend was good for $9M in those hubs with a strong -18% hold from last session. In France, where the film is a purely theatrical play, it was No. 1 again with a slight 6% dip from opening. Korea, which is not a Disney+ market, jumped 25%, holding No. 2 again behind local hit Hard Hit. Out of the Top 10 Cruella markets, four do not have Disney+: China, Korea, Russia and Saudi Arabia while France is not day-and-date owing to local windowing regulations.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/07/f9-500-mil ... 234786046/
Despite Cruella besting its Memorial Day domestic opening weekend projections (which were in the teens) with a $26.5M start, its current 3.6x leg-out to $77.2M, and running global take of $205M, as well as its average stateside weekend-to-weekend hold of -35% through six weekends, many in the industry aren’t amused by the pic’s B.O. numbers, and believe its availability on Disney+ has slowed the feature’s financial prospects greatly. While the pic’s domestic will end close to $85M, beating the U.S./Canada results of 2016 Disney dud Alice Through the Looking Glass ($77M), it’s still under that pic’s near $300M WW result, and far behind the $491.7M global take of 2019’s Maleficent: Mistress of Evil which was not a big win for Disney, yet possibly a film that nearly broke even. Cruella‘s leg-out factor on domestic PVOD is a cloud, indeed. Some assume it’s a 4x factor (meaning north of $84M stateside), but that’s based on a PVOD exponent for an average theatrical movie respecting a regular theatrical window.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/07/black-wido ... 234787705/
Cruella (Dis) 1,875 (-505) theaters, Fri $775K/Sat $900K/Sun $525K/3-day: $2.2M (-29%)/Total: $80.7M/Wk 7
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/07/black-wido ... 234789473/
Cruella (Dis) $3.7M intl weekend (37 markets); $136.1M intl cume/$216.9M global
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/07/black-wido ... 234788577/
Cruella (Dis) 1,175 (-700) theaters Fri $352K/Sat $466K/Sun $294K/3-day $1.1M (-54%)/total $83.4M/Wk 8
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/07/space-jam- ... 234794982/
Cruella (Dis) $2.1M intl weekend (31 markets); $140.7M intl cume/$224.1M global
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/07/black-wido ... 234795274/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Wow agree to disagree ^^ To me 2019 will always remain as the year of “uninspiration” as far as the Disney live-action department is concerned. Regardless of what numbers they did in a pre-pandemic world, it was a very excruciating year to go through because of the low quality of its 5 remakes (a record!!) which, for many and various reasons, each of them had a strong level of annoyance, and, imo, none of them succeeded to feel right or good ...not even close :/.
And.. from my experience I was far from reliving this same level of annoyance with ‘Cruella’, actually I felt pretty entertained and intrigued. Sure it’s not flawless, but even with that in mind, there’s nothing new under the sun with its flaws: they are from the same checklist through which other Disney Classics have been clumsily rewritten (or even butchered! especially with the 2019 releases.. -_-) Only here they do feel less obnoxious, because, more importantly, they are less the focus. Certainly the other creative choices helped in that matter, and the focus on the action (we witness some pretty dark elements here) and the characters and performances (Cruella is here out of control which was what I personally expected first for a movie on a villainess) the different twists and turns of the plot, even the writing has its moments sometimes (that last monologue of Estella becoming Cruella, and the way it is delivered, is actually pretty, pretty good.. Quite inspiring.) That’s a solid step forward in terms of quality. I’m even open and considering rewatching the movie (it hadn’t happened to me for a long time ^^)
Last edited by Clindor on Sun May 30, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

This was a pretty good movie. Good, not great, but good. I really did like Cruella's speech to her mother towards the end. D82, it didn't feel like Cruella really had a split personality. It just felt like she had a bad side which honestly most people have, and when she decided to be bad, she just called herself Cruella, like her mom did.
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

I watched the movie and liked it. It’s way better then most live actions, maybe because it has not that much to do with the original( and this time it didnt bother me much, cause it doesn’t interfere with the original story, unlike Maleficent.....This even has a funny mid credit scene starting up the original story). The decor and costumes are pretty, soundtrack is very nice. It did remind a bit of the devil wears prada, but overal it’s really enjoyable.
Only thing that did bothered me was emma stones wigs...they just dont look like her normal hair...
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Toky wrote:cause it doesn’t interfere with the original story, unlike Maleficent....
That's what I've been curious to know! I've never seen more than a few minutes of Maleficent, and I never bothered revisiting it because I've read that it changes the original story so much. I don't like the remakes in general, but if this is truly a prequel, maybe I won't get mad at it :lol: and will watch when it's free on Disney+ (I just have no extra $ right now).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^It's really not a prequel. It's more of a reimagined origin story as a lot of elements in it contradict both the animated film and the live-action remake.
blackcauldron85

It *does* contradict the original? Boo. Then I would not like it, lol. Have you seen it? I haven't looked up spoilers beyond this thread but now I'm curious.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Honestly, all of the 101 Dalmatians projects Disney has done have contradicted each other with each one drifting further and further away from Dodie Smith's book. For example, the 101 Dalmatians animated series from the '90s initially seems like it's following the 1996 film (Roger being a video game designer and Anita a fashion designer, their last name being Dearly), but it then does a lot of things that show it's not in the same universe. Pongo and Perdita's puppies have different names, Cruella is a real estate mogul on top of working in fashion, Anita and Cruella are portrayed as very good and close friends and the setting was changed to the United States.

Then there's 101 Dalmatian Street, which also went off in its own direction. I think it's best to see every version of "101 Dalmatians" as existing in its own separate universe, similar to how comic book fans view the various superhero timelines that exist.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85 wrote:It *does* contradict the original? Boo. Then I would not like it, lol. Have you seen it? I haven't looked up spoilers beyond this thread but now I'm curious.
I haven't seen yet, but I've been spoiled. There's no way Cruella can be seen as canonical to the animated original.
estefan wrote:Honestly, all of the 101 Dalmatians projects Disney has done have contradicted each other.
Well, not all of them. 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure preserves continuity with One Hundered and One Dalamtians, and so does 102 Dalamtians with 101 Dalmatians.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

estefan wrote:Honestly, all of the 101 Dalmatians projects Disney has done have contradicted each other with each one drifting further and further away from Dodie Smith's book.
True! I remember watching when I was a kid the 1997 TV Series 101 Dalmatians, and there were maaaaaany plot holes between the series and both the first remake and the animated original... It was puzzling trying to make sense of it when you tend to focus on continuity. Yet it was also very enjoying and I remember having a lot of fun with the series itself! It was its own thing, retaking whatever elements they needed from the animated and the live-action films, and for what it was, it was fine.
blackcauldron85

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Cruella is performing a bit better than expected at the box office.
I'm glad about that.

I wanted to reply to more things, but I don't have time now and I'll be away from home for some days, so most likely I won't be able to do it until next weekend. I'm just letting you guys know in case you find it strange that I don't comment or post anything.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Amy, that was hilarious!

Thanks for the heads up, D82! Hope we don't have to wait too long for your return!
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

blackcauldron85 wrote:It *does* contradict the original? Boo. Then I would not like it, lol. Have you seen it? I haven't looked up spoilers beyond this thread but now I'm curious.
I don’t think its on same level as interference as Malifecent. That literally took the sleeping beauty story and changed it and was like: the story you know is not correct.
Cruella is an origin story (but cruella’s origin is never explained in original material, so there is more freedom in interpreting this). It is not the cruella we know in words of the cruel an vicious woman. But still it is a fun movie. And still there is a gap between this and 101 dalmatians in which a lot could happen. The mid credit scene is a nod to 101 dalmatians, but its only quite small and a direct copy imo.
I think if they would have focussed on her transition to evil, it would have been to Joker-esque. Which this movie isn’t. Its more of a heist-kinda thing with fashion and a good soundtrack.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

I actually think the movie could work pretty well as a prequel to some version/telling of the 101 Dalmations story, just not a version that already exists. :lol: If Roger and Anita hadn't been in this movie it could have worked somewhat as a prequel to the live action 101 Dalmations movie with Glenn Close, but their characters are so different from the Roger and Anita in that movie that it doesn't work as a prequel to that movie. It does somewhat work with the animated movie, but there are also some differences so it also doesn't really function as a perfect prequel to that either.

I guess what I want to say is that the events from this movie could, possibly, lead to a version of the events that we know from the other movies or the book. This unlike Maleficent, which essentially totally rewrites the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale from scratch and thus could never really fit with the traditional fairy tale as we know it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The director says he wants to make a sequel.
Q: I don’t know what to make of the fact that I now love Cruella, as a character. Do you feel like there is more of her story to tell? Would you like to see her story continue in another film?

Craig Gillespie: I feel like we’ve only just met her. I’d love to now see the full-blown Cruella, fully loaded. She’s managed to get the support system around her and she can really expand on her brand. I’d love to see where that takes her and how you could almost destroy her from inside out, if she’s not careful with all that power.

Q: Would you like to be the one directing another story of hers, if that happens?

Craig Gillespie: If it was with this gang. It was such a joy to work with everybody, and Tony writing it, and Disney was so supportive. They really fostered a feeling of safety where we could just really go for it without the repercussions. We all were pushing it all the time and thinking, “I don’t know if Disney’s gonna be okay with this,” but they would always call and be okay.
Source: https://collider.com/cruella-2-sequel-p ... interview/
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I loved it! I've watched it twice already. Loved the costumes, production design, characters, performances and music. I didn't think it was long or boring at all. It's not my number one of the live action remakes, but it's definitely better than some. A sequel would be all right, but I think they should leave it as is.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The Mary Poppins Returns creators wanted a sequel, too.

Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:The Mary Poppins Returns creators wanted a sequel, too.
:lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Here's how Cruella is performing on streaming.

‘Cruella’ First Weekend On Disney+ Was 39% Behind ‘Mulan’ In Households, Samba TV Data Shows
https://deadline.com/2021/06/cruella-fi ... 234767514/

‘Boss Baby’ Sequel’s First-Weekend Peacock Viewership Tops ‘Cruella’ On Disney+ By 14%, Says Samba TV
https://deadline.com/2021/07/the-boss-b ... 234787880/

‘Cruella’ Posts Lowest Tally Of Any Disney Premier Access Title
https://deadline.com/2021/06/lucifer-ne ... 234781225/

‘Cruella’ Strong In Segue From Premium Window
https://deadline.com/2021/09/manifest-n ... 234843440/

‘Clickbait’ Trends To No. 1 On Nielsen Streaming Chart; ‘Cruella’ Cruises
https://deadline.com/2021/09/clickbait- ... 234847345/

‘Cruella’ 3rd Most-Watched Streaming Title After Premium Run on Disney+ Ends
https://www.thewrap.com/cruella-3rd-mos ... ebut-ends/