Disney Books

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Books

Post by Vlad »

This cover makes Cinderella look like a villain. She has a naughty smile :lol: :lol: :lol:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Farerb wrote:What an awful cover, now I'm not sure I want to buy it
Really? I don`t think it`s a bad cover. In my opinion ;)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I guess this must've been posted already, but in case it hasn't, The Little Mermaid's and The Lion's King's scripts will be released in an edition that also includes concept art and some details about the making of the films. Both titles will come out on April 5. I think they look interesting, especially the one for The Little Mermaid since that film never got a proper artbook or "making of" book. This is obviously none of those things, but at least it's something. Here are the covers and book descriptions. More images of each title on the links.

The Little Mermaid has enchanted audiences of all ages since its release in 1989, and now you can dive deep into the full script, complete lyrics, and the film’s history with this stunning volume. Disney fans will be delighted by the hundreds of archival photographs, original sketches, and historical images curated from the Walt Disney Archives and Walt Disney Animation Research Library, along with insider stories from Ron Clements and John Musker, the writers/directors of the film. This special edition provides an in-depth experience of the beloved Disney classic, giving readers a deeper appreciation for the animators, musicians, and voice actors who brought the story of Ariel to audiences around the world.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Editors-Canterbu ... 21-1140069

Enjoy one of your favorite Disney animated classics in a new way: the full script, complete lyrics, an extensive collection of rare archival images, and insider stories on the development of The Lion King. Included in this volume are hundreds of behind-the-scenes facts about the production, animation, and historical and cultural frameworks of the film, along with stories from the film’s producer Don Hahn and co-directors Rob Minkoff and Roger Allers. All these engrossing facts and details are brought to life with rarely seen photographs, original sketches, and historical images curated from the Walt Disney Archives and Walt Disney Animation Research Library. Readers will enjoy an in-depth experience of this beloved Disney classic and gain a deeper appreciation for the animators, writers, musicians, and voice actors who brought the story to life.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Editors-Canterbu ... 21-1140069
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The covers are gorgeous, although I'm skeptical they're actually going to be worth getting (at least not enough to be in a hurry about it). I know the script for TLM backwards and forwards without even looking; I also have a printed version of an early version of the script before several things about the film were changed over time.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Thanks for posting those links, D82 :). Fortunately those books will be released soon. Can`t wait to buy them! :)
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Those are very good looking! Very tempting.

I recently got JB Kaufman's book on the making of Fun and Fancy Free. Not one of my favorites by any margin, but I admire his writing and found it for a good price. Just another addition to my ever-growing collection of Disney books.

And they have a couple available on Disney Movie Insiders- Practically Poppins in Every Way and Women of Walt Disney Imagineering. I'm strongly considering ordering either of them, likely the latter.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

A book about the Disney Renaissance and beyond titled "Drawn to Greatness: Disney’s Animation Renaissance" was released on March 06, 2022. It doesn't feature any new interviews though.
Drawn to Greatness: Disney’s Animation Renaissance tells the story of the studio's game-changing comeback with their hit animated films in the 1990s. It’s a story worthy of Disney’s most beloved fables and fairy tales…but this story happened in real life! The journey begins just after the passing of Walt Disney in 1966 and provides the chronological story of how a group of Disney artists, trained by legends who had worked on the studio’s classic films, believed in the power of storytelling and the hallmarks of Disney and transformed animation at the studio in a re-birth the likes of which had never been seen.

Each Disney animated film from 1988’s Oliver & Company through 2000’s The Emperor’s New Groove is captured in firsthand detail:

• How Broadway-style music was a watershed moment for The Little Mermaid.
• How Robin Williams’ irreverence released a Genie from the lamp in Aladdin.
• How The Nightmare Before Christmas went from a forgotten project to a scary success.
• How the blockbuster success of The Lion King was a “Circle of Life” moment for the studio.
• How the partnership with Pixar for Toy Story took animation “To infinity and beyond!”

…and much more!

Drawn to Greatness: Disney’s Animation Renaissance contains insight from producers, directors, animators, art directors, story artists, and executives conducted during the Renaissance and gathered together in this book for the first time. These include producer Don Hahn (Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King), animators Glen Keane (Ariel, Aladdin & Tarzan), Eric Goldberg (the Genie), Andreas Deja (Jafar & Scar), directors Henry Selick (The Nightmare Before Christmas), Kevin Lima (A Goofy Movie & Tarzan) and Walt’s nephew, Roy E. Disney, who was instrumental in shepherding this unprecedented period at the studio.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Drawn-Greatness- ... 68390317X/

Another book about the Disney Renaissance, but this time centering on the Florida studio, titled "The Disney Animation Renaissance: Behind the Glass at the Florida Studio" is being released on December 27, 2022. It's written by an artist who worked there.
Walt Disney Feature Animation Florida opened in Orlando at the dawn of the Disney Renaissance. As a member of the crew, Mary E. Lescher witnessed the small studio’s rise and fall during a transformative era in company and movie history. Her in-depth interviews with fellow artists, administrators, and support personnel reveal the human dimension of a technological revolution: the dramatic shift from hand-drawn cel animation to the digital format that eclipsed it in less than a decade.

She also traces the Florida Studio’s parallel existence as a part of The Magic of Disney Animation, a living theme park attraction where Lescher and her colleagues worked in full view of Walt Disney World guests eager to experience the magic of the company’s legendary animation process.

A ground-level look at the entertainment giant, The Disney Animation Renaissance profiles the people and purpose behind a little-known studio during a historic era.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Animation ... 252086864/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Thanks for posting those links, D82 :). Fortunately those books will be released soon. Can`t wait to buy them! :)
You're welcome! I'm considering maybe buying the Little Mermaid one. I've seen it's available on Amazon UK and other European countries as well and it's not too expensive.
Avaitor wrote:I recently got JB Kaufman's book on the making of Fun and Fancy Free. Not one of my favorites by any margin, but I admire his writing and found it for a good price. Just another addition to my ever-growing collection of Disney books.
I didn't know of that one. I've seen some images online and it looks interesting too.
Disney's Divinity wrote:The covers are gorgeous, although I'm skeptical they're actually going to be worth getting (at least not enough to be in a hurry about it). I know the script for TLM backwards and forwards without even looking; I also have a printed version of an early version of the script before several things about the film were changed over time.
Yeah, the script itself is not something that exciting to get, plus the scripts for many Disney films are already available online anyway. I would like to know how much behind the scenes stuff there's actually in the books. Maybe when they're released someone will post a Youtube review or something and we'll be able to get a better idea. It's also possible we could get a book like this one they made about Cinderella or the Mary Poppins one Avaitor mentioned to tie in with the release of the remake of The Little Mermaid. That would be better than this.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Those two books sound amazing. I'm really excited to buy The Little Mermaid. Thank you for sharing the links :)
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Someone in a Facebook group I'm in posted that he found the Little Mermaid and Lion King screenplay books at Costco, for $12 each. Unfortunately, I'm currently on a tight budget, otherwise I'd have gone and bought the books myself, but please feel free to go and get them, and tell us how they are!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Well, I ordered The Little Mermaid. As soon as I get it, I will share some pictures in here. :)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Oh, those are wonderful!

I'll have to do some rearranging in my budget, but I think I need those. Stupid car wreck, ruining my bank account.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Maybe I will get TLM's after all. I love the storyboard of Giant Ursula shooting down at Ariel, as well as the cel compilation of Ariel from the midpoint of POYW. If money wasn't an option, I'd get TLM and TLK, since I love the John Alvin images they used for these.

@Avaitor: Oh, wow, you had a car wreck? I hope everything's okay and you didn't get hurt.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Thanks for the photos, Farerb! Both books look really good. It seems there's a considerable amount of concept art and behind-the-scenes stuff, which is what I'm mostly interested in. Maybe I'll buy them too, at least the Little Mermaid one.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Avaitor, are you doing okay??? :( :(. I'm sorry to hear about your accident.

Farerb, thank you for posting the pictures! I had Amazon points to use so just ordered the books for free. (Not trying to brag, just have credit card points.)
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

@Availor, I hope everything is okay.

@Farerb, thank you so much for the pictures. I have already ordered The Little Mermaid, and now, I'm patiently waiting for it to arrive. :)
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Thanks, guys! I'm fine, but my Elantra did not turn out so well. I was able to get a new car, but this has cut into my finances a good deal, and will affect my upcoming trips. I'm making cuts to both my New York and Philly trips, but I'm trying to make sure that I can still go to Disneyland when I go to CA in September for D23. I'll just have to buy less swag then as planned.

But back to the topic, I used some of my DMI points to order Practically Poppins in Every Way, and I'm excited for it to arrive. I should take a picture of my Disney book collection to date.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Avaitor, I'm glad you're ok. I also want to ask, what on earth is your avatar?!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm glad you're okay and could get a new car. Poor Elantra + $, though. :(