James Cameron & Fox Expand the Worlds of "Avatar"

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

James Cameron & Fox Expand the Worlds of "Avatar"

Post by dvdjunkie »

I know there are a lot of people who don't think Avatar is a very good picture, but most of those who don't like it are trying to compare it to something that doesn't or hasn't existed before. The 3-D technology that was imagined by James Cameron and brought to life by WETA Digital is second-to-none, and I really like the movie and was looking forward to a sequel.

Well, after losing hope that there might not be a sequel comes this news:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=107281

We may have to wait until 2016, but this gives more impetus to want to live that long so I can see what adventures Cameron has up his sleeve with the characters.

Avatar was a Golden Globe winner for Best Picture and Best Director and is the top-grossing movie of all time, surpassing Cameron's "Titanic", which most people thought could never be beaten.

The seamless meshing of real actors with CGI was mind-boggling, and has never been equaled since. There have been a lot of imitators out there, but I don't think anyone has truly come close to what Cameron brought to the screen with this classic film.

Why do I like this movie so much, you ask? Because I didn't see any similarities in the film to other films like some people did. Some said it had the same ideas as "Dances With Wolves" and I didn't see that at all. What I saw when I went to see this film seven times in IMAX 3-D, was impossible to pick apart in any way shape or form. In the master control room on Pandora every single monitor has something on it having to do with the story. The dialogue was well written, and the actors chosen to play the roles were second to none in Cameron's casting.

Everyone has their own taste in movies, but after seeing this film in the theater as many times as I did (16) and then getting the Collector's Edition Blu-ray that had the uncut 3-hour version of the film I was absolutely blown away by the WETA digital effects and the story. All of the extras on the Blu-ray Collector's Edition were absolutely the best and I thought they all added to the immense, pain-staking, tireless work that went on to make this movie.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: James Cameron & Fox Expand the Worlds of "Avatar"

Post by PatrickvD »

I could literally predict every turn in the script. Avatar is easily the most banal blockbuster of the last ten years. Outside of its visuals, it had absolutely nothing going for it.

But then again, Cameron has never been known as an innovative writer. It's all style, no substance.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

He says two extra films wouldn't be enough to contain all the content he has? Does that mean the third sequel will be about a Kitchen Sink?
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

While I liked Avatar (LIKED not loved), and will probably see the sequels when they comes out, I really hope Cameron doesn't go the George Lucas route, and milks the franchise completely dry with unnecessary prequels that feature whiny actors, and annoying racial stereotypes. The world doesn't need another Jar Jar Binks!!!!!!!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

2099net wrote:He says two extra films wouldn't be enough to contain all the content he has? Does that mean the third sequel will be about a Kitchen Sink?
That actually sounds way too interesting for a James Cameron film. :)
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Aww man, Cameron isn't THAT bad. Anyone who could make the first 2 Terminators, Aliens and The Abyss deserves some cred in my book.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Avaitor wrote:Aww man, Cameron isn't THAT bad. Anyone who could make the first 2 Terminators, Aliens and The Abyss deserves some cred in my book.
I'm aware of my unpopular opinion, but I feel that Titanic, even for all of its camp and melodrama, will always remain his best film.

Terminator 2 is alright and so is Aliens, but the original Terminator and especially the Abyss are quite mediocre. I even prefer True Lies over those two (I still want my obviously titled True Lies sequel)...

It's True Spies. 8)
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Titanic is - like all latter Cameron films - full of stereotypes.

From a purely entertainment point of view, there's little wrong with Titanic (it is, rather too long. You don't need to spend time establishing characters if they're all walking/talking clichés). There's even less wrong with Avatar. Despite it's obvious technical achievements - it is effectively a 1950's Adventure serial in movie form.

But what they aren't are artistic triumphs. Far from it. It shows how low expectations have fallen in recent years that these are hailed as pinnacles of motion picture art.

Also, I hate Terminator 2. It's nothing but a run around with a plot you can write on a postage stamp. It has nothing of the depth or boldness of the first film's vision. And Aliens isn't much better - just a war film in space. Sadly, I blame Cameron for the concept of "space marines" which is so prevalent in today's "dude-bro" videogames.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Yeah, nothing will ever change my mind on the notion that Titanic is just Gone with the Wind on a boat.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Avaitor wrote:Yeah, nothing will ever change my mind on the notion that Titanic is just Gone with the Wind on a boat.
It's better than that. In my opinion, in terms of story and characterization, Titanic is an accidental, unparalleled masterpiece. The corny dialogue and predictability is presented to us by a ridiculously talented cast, who in combination with the stunning production values force us to go along for the ride, but never forget what type of film we're watching. I feel only Leonardo wasn't strong enough for this. He was trying too hard but, at the time, did not have the talent to back up such a camp performance.

But seriously, for example:

"I put the diamond in the coat.....AND I PUT THE COAT ON HER!"

This is gold. Nicolas Cage himself couldn't have come up with this stuff or outact Billy Zane in this hilarious villain role. Titanic is endlessly quotable. Does anyone remember a line of dialogue from Avatar? That movie was erased from my mind the minute I left the theater. Cameron is at his best when he allows the camp to just flow naturally, like in True Lies. Most of his other films, coincidentally the science-fictions ones, are forgettable in my opinion. Probably because he approaches them with too much seriousness, causing all life to flood from the screen. Or, at the very least, there's something there that I just don't get.

I conclude with my favorite silly line from Titanic:

"Freud, who is he? Is he a passenger?"

:lol: Cameron is a true master of unintentionally hilarious movie dialogue.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Man, I don't remember a lot of that. Probably because the movie is so long that I tend to forget most of it while I doze off. :P

Maybe I should watch it again.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Somehow, I don't think the Academy were responding to Titanic's Cult/Campness. They were responding to the money.

It's been a long time since I've seen Titanic. When I got the Blu-ray I only watched the supplements! (Something I find myself doing with more and more films these days).
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

2099net wrote:Somehow, I don't think the Academy were responding to Titanic's Cult/Campness. They were responding to the money.
Oh I know. The academy has its head too far up its own behind in order to view Titanic as a campy melodrama. They thought it was genuinely brilliant. And it made a gazillion dollars which was good for ratings.

Though they've been shying away from these types of films somewhat over the past few years. I still believe that War Horse for example would have been a critical darling in the 80s/90s with a huge amount of Academy support.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

You know, Titanic really is both campy and melodramatic and genuinely serious, imo. I admit to be captivated by the opening 20 minutes. A lot of other times there's this feeling of "so bad yet so good", especially where the romance is involved.

Also can't discredit the genuine attempts at historical accuracy where the fictional characters aren't dorectly concerned.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

BBC Reports Possible Avatar Sequel Titles
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/20 ... el-titles/
The Way of Water
The Seed Bearer
The Tulkun Rider
The Quest for Eywa
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I thought this sequel would've been out years ago now.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Iger talks Avatar.
Q: Avatar’s a strange movie because it did well, but viewers don’t necessarily latch onto particular characters. Will the new ones be different?

Bob Iger: The new ones are a continuation of the former one, so the characters will become more familiar because they’ve only been in one movie. I can’t get into all the details, but there’s obviously character development and story development as part of Avatar 2 and 3. I’ll call it growth or evolution of core characters and introduction of some new ones. It didn’t do $2.6 billion worldwide by accident. There’s something there.
Source: https://www.barrons.com/articles/disney ... 1546599600
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Disney Buys Fox

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Don't know if we have an Avatar thread yet or not so thought I'd post this here.

Dates for the upcoming Avatar films.

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status ... 8729170946
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wonder if an Avatar sequel would even be successful at this point? I mean, as successful as you'd have expected back when the first one came out. It's been soooo loooong.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Dates for the upcoming Avatar films.AVATAR 2 - 12/17/21AVATAR 3 - 12/22/23AVATAR 4 - 12/19/25AVATAR 5 - 12/17/27
Jimbo has said that there will only be Avatar 4 and 5 if 2 and 4 are box office hits.