Hong Kong’s Disneyland to Get Marvel Superheroes

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Hong Kong’s Disneyland to Get Marvel Superheroes

Post by disneyboy20022 »

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013 ... d=yahoo_hs
Famed Marvel Comics superheroes like Spider-Man, X-Men and the Fantastic Four will soon call a part of Hong Kong Disneyland home, when the theme park opens an area dedicated to the comic-book stars.

On Wednesday, Hong Kong Financial Secretary John Tsang said the theme park, which is 52%-owned by the city’s government, will add an area featuring “Marvel heroes” as part of the resort’s expansion program.

The addition of Marvel in Hong Kong will be the first of its kind of any Disney resort, and could be a big draw for mainland Chinese tourists after the success of several Hollywood smash-hits that featured Marvel characters. Marvel superheroes could also attract older and more affluent visitors, as opposed to the younger audiences that the traditional Disney characters target.

The Marvel addition is the latest move by Disney aimed at reaping the benefits of its $4 billion acquisition in 2009 of Marvel Entertainment. In May, “The Avengers”, the first Marvel film to be released by Disney since its Marvel purchase, shattered box-office records.

Earlier, Disney said it would prioritize plans to introduce theme-park rides based on Marvel superheroe
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

It still seems odd to me that there will be a Marvel Super Heroes Land in both Hong Kong Disneyland AND in Universal Orlando's Islands of Adventure Park.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Again, no Disney involvement in a Disney theme park.
Ho hum.....
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

carolinakid wrote:It still seems odd to me that there will be a Marvel Super Heroes Land in both Hong Kong Disneyland AND in Universal Orlando's Islands of Adventure Park.
Exactly what I was going to say. They're the same characters, too, although I'm not sure if the Fantastic Four are in Islands of Adventure. I heard Islands of Adventure was going to have to get rid of Marvel Island, but I don't remember where I heard that.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Fantastic Four have their own restaurant in Islands of Adventure and are referenced many times on the Doctor Doom ride (after all, he is their main villain). I just don't think Universal is giving up Marvel anytime soon. They just invested a huge sum of money to upgrade Spider-man's animation to 4K and it continues to be one of the most popular rides in any of their parks.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Doubtless, they will keep the Marvel theming until their license runs out. I would imagine Disney will exploit its rights where it can, which for now seems to be HK.

I have never been to IOA. Is it worth it?

Our local park in Cincinnati was owned by Paramount and had a number of rides "themed" to Paramount films. When the park was sold to Cedar Fair, they just changed the names and the signs. It's kind of sad, actually. One ride was a coaster themed to the Italian Job. Now it's the Hollywood Stunt Coaster or something like that, and you still ride in Mini Coopers.

How extensive is the Marvel theming at IOA? Should we expect a similar "makeover" when the license expires?
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Re: Hong Kong’s Disneyland to Get Marvel Superheroes

Post by jpanimation »

Yeah, it's a shame what happened to Kings Island. Tomb Raider was pretty cool and then Cedar Fair turned it into some generic carnival ride with their halloween props before eventually tearing it out all together. At least you still have your local park. Cedar Fair, the same company that bought Kings Island, bought my local park (Geauga Lake) and demolished the 120 year old park after just a couple of years (not before stripping it of all it's rides first). Hopefully now that Matt Ouimet is running things at Cedar Fair instead of Dickhead Kinzel, those terrible business practices are all behind them.

Lamenting aside, to answer your question, the theming is VERY extensive (as with everything at Islands of Adventure). It's all opinion but yeah, it's definitely worth it. Outside of EPCOT, it's my favorite theme park in Florida.

I also want to clarify the terms of Universal's Marvel license. It's for life. It doesn't expire. Universal has to forfeit it by removing the Marvel area themselves or just selling the license back. Outside of the Harry Potter ride that has the benefit of being over a decade newer, the Spider-Man ride is the most popular attraction in any of their parks worldwide. Please explain to me why they'd want to give up the Marvel license, especially since it keeps Disney from using it?
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

So, isn't Universal basically cutting their checks to the Walt Disney Company now anyway to keep using Marvel characters?
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

‘Iron Man’ Ride Video Reveals New Details and Commentary From the People Who Worked On It (And Also Stan Lee)
http://www.slashfilm.com/iron-man-ride-video/
blackcauldron85

Hong Kong Disneyland’s ‘Iron Man Experience’ Soft Opens, Footage From the Ride Appears Online
http://www.slashfilm.com/iron-man-exper ... ide-video/
blackcauldron85

Disney's California Adventure, Disneyland Paris, and Hong Kong Disneyland are all getting "Marvel Lands:"

http://www.slashfilm.com/marvel-land-disney/
blackcauldron85

D23 livestream:
Pym Test Kitchen

First Disney Spider-Man ride

vehicles:

And DR. Strange

Disney California Adventure:

Phase 2 getting a new Avengers ride (including Wakanda)