Disney Buys Lucasfilm

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

thelittleursula wrote:What's next The Harry Potter series ?

Watch out JK hide your stuff from the Mouse ! :lol:
Watch out, don't give Disney ideas for what they're gonna buy next. :lol: Just kidding, BTW.
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heil Donald Duck »

thelittleursula wrote:What's next The Harry Potter series ?

Watch out JK hide your stuff from the Mouse ! :lol:
Warner Bros owns the rights to Harry Potters so nothings mouse related is going to happen.
Der Fuehrer's Face is the greatest Donald Duck cartoon ever made.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

^ Thank God.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

They could still exploit the Indiana Jones franchise with TV series and direct-to-video features whether live-action or animated.
EW has confirmed that Paramount Pictures, heretofore the franchise’s sole Hollywood home, retains the rights to distribute any future Indiana Jones movies, as well as all the rights (from distribution to DVD/Blu-ray) for the previous four Indy films.
Source: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/01/d ... ana-jones/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

SWillie! wrote:
Semaj wrote:There is such a thing as too big.

Disney has had to sell off items that they did not need before (Marimax, Anaheim Ducks, Anaheim Angels), but soon, they are going to own so many franchises, they are not going to know what to do anymore. It's going to lead to all kinds of internal chaos.

Also, I am certain that Disney is on the border of becoming a monopoly.
I'll give you the issue of internal chaos. That could be a real problem, with the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

But they aren't anywhere NEAR a monopoly. There are a good number of movie studios still out there, that are just as much of a force in the movie industry as Disney is. Paramount, Universal, and Fox are in no further danger of Disney - they are simply big competition. Disney is nowhere near the possibility of eliminating that competition.

The closest they are to a monopoly is on theme parks, and that is still a ways off from a true monopoly.
Actually, yes, I'd say they are that much closer to a monopoly. Sony, Paramount and Universal have never been weaker so far as economics go, and Fox isn't much better. The only studio that could really put up a fight right now is Warner Bros, who themselves have gotten too big.

It's very scary. I'm sorry you don't see that. Maybe after Iger's next purchase you'll see it? I seriously doubt he's done yet.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

milojthatch wrote:Actually, yes, I'd say they are that much closer to a monopoly. Sony, Paramount and Universal have never been weaker so far as economics go, and Fox isn't much better. The only studio that could really put up a fight right now is Warner Bros, who themselves have gotten too big.

It's very scary. I'm sorry you don't see that. Maybe after Iger's next purchase you'll see it? I seriously doubt he's done yet.
You're sorry I don't see it? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that...

Unless Disney literally starts buying the other major studios, which is not going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future, since they are still powerful enough on their own (even with economy problems). The day that Disney buys Sony, Paramount, Universal, Fox, AND Warner Brothers, they have a monopoly. That is obviously not going to happen.

While there could certainly be some negative effects of this (like internal confusion, mentioned above), I still don't see how the word "scary" applies here. They aren't some political force threatening our very existence... They're a movie studio who owns a lot of stuff.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

This, is from Angry Joe. I don't watch him ever, I just came across this on the Channel Awesome website

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/aj/ ... -announced

There are some explicits of the F word. Viewer Discretion is advised
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

SWillie! wrote:They aren't some political force threatening our very existence... They're a movie studio who owns a lot of stuff.
Here's the thing, I don't see a difference between those two issues. In fact, I'd say they are parts of the same body. THAT'S why it's scary. At least supposedly we can vote for our elected leaders. We can't however, unless we hold enough stock, vote for heads of major corporations.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Well, in my opinion that seems incredibly paranoid. Disney is not threatening our very existence.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Finally back now that cable and internet is back!

Now on this deal, I don't like it one bit. Disney doesn't need to own every single company including Lucasfilm, that compnay is George's company. However, I see Fox owning it (maybe that can help get the original versions of the Star Wars Saga on Blu-ray. ;)).

UPDATE: There's also no need for Star Wars VII-IX either and if there were, I prefer Fox to release them.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

UPDATE: Dear Internets in general... *I* need Episodes VII-IX! Thank you! :D
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Maerj wrote:UPDATE: Dear Internets in general... *I* need Episodes VII-IX! Thank you! :D
This means one thing: Episode VII-IX will be better because... George won't write 'em, and he won't direct 'em (sure he probably produced a draft as a guide, but at least we won't have such wooden dialogue as in Episodes I-III.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

PatrickvD wrote:
milojthatch wrote:Disney is getting too big. This is not good. Lucas haters, wake up and see the bigger picture. This isn't about "Star Wars," this is about a super media monopoly being formed and getting stronger. When you then keep in mind that it's Disney, the guys who have a hand in copyright laws being changed to suite their needs, this is getting scary.
It's not getting scary. Disney only has a few successful films per year. Their market share is not that big. If you take The Avengers out of the picture their market share is actually shockingly small.

I wouldn't worry about them getting too big. Because they're not.
theyre the single biggest media owner in the world. Considering six compnaies altogether own ninety percent of media thats not healthy
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

I don't understand how that isn't healthy. The film and media industry is booming, and those six companies together are employing thousands and thousands of people. That boom wouldnt be happening if it wasnt being driven by these big experienced studios, an many of those people would probably not be employed. There are still plenty of smaller companies that fill the void left after the huge corporations are taken out of the picture. The big studios and the smaller ones have healthy relationships, often collaborating on projects. Studios like Titmouse or Mercury Filmworks, which are owned and operated by individuals, have the freedom of being independent while also having the safety of working on bigger studios' projects, which are more likely to be successful than their own smaller projects. There is creativity everywhere you look, and there is profit everywhere you look. Please explain how any of this is unhealthy.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I don't if The Digital Bits link was posted, but I found it:
http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... 03012_1300
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

SWillie! wrote:I don't understand how that isn't healthy. The film and media industry is booming, and those six companies together are employing thousands and thousands of people. That boom wouldnt be happening if it wasnt being driven by these big experienced studios, an many of those people would probably not be employed. There are still plenty of smaller companies that fill the void left after the huge corporations are taken out of the picture. The big studios and the smaller ones have healthy relationships, often collaborating on projects. Studios like Titmouse or Mercury Filmworks, which are owned and operated by individuals, have the freedom of being independent while also having the safety of working on bigger studios' projects, which are more likely to be successful than their own smaller projects. There is creativity everywhere you look, and there is profit everywhere you look. Please explain how any of this is unhealthy.
That is true, but people have a vendetta against big corporations and executives get paid and we've all said here the animators are actually underpaid and this isnt so much about economics; We're talking a huge-ass world we're living in and remember the idea of taking over the world is usually a supervillain thing.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Harrison Ford says he is open to another ‘Star Wars’ film

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-tal ... 29069.html
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aRMFH71fDIE" frameborder="0"></iframe>
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney

Does anyone know this about Disney buying Lucasfilm...?

Post by 411314 »

Does Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm also mean that Disney now owns the non-Star Wars, non-Indiana Jones films that Lucasfilm made ("Radioland Murders", "Labyrinth", "American Graffiti", etc.), or is just "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones"? I know they primarily bought it for "Star Wars", but I'm just curious.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I do know American Graffiti is owned by Universal and THX 1138 is owned by Warner Brothers, so they're not part of the deal. The others are confusing, since there were other studios involved and Disney is probably figuring out the paperwork.

I know, in the case of Indiana Jones, they own the characters, but the movies are still with Paramount. And Fox still has the Star Wars movies until 2020, I believe. Though A New Hope is the only one they personally produced as the others were independently made by Lucasfilm (that's right, every Star Wars movie from Empire Strikes Back to Revenge of the Sith are indie films).
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland