Disney Buys Lucasfilm

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.

Post by 411314 »

Thanks for the info!
estefan wrote: And Fox still has the Star Wars movies until 2020, I believe.
Do you mean they'll own all Star Wars films that are released before 2020, or 2020 is the year Fox's rights to Star Wars expires?

By the way, I see your forum name is "estefan". You don't happen to be Mr. Coat, do you?
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Actually, Fox only has rights to the 6 films while Disney owns the upcoming VII and everything after that:

http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... 03012_1300

"•Fox retains certain distribution rights to the existing Star Wars films but not the new franchise films going forward."

Don't know what this means for the Ewok Adventures, Droids, Ewoks, Clone Wars micro-series, and the Lego Star Wars specials wheather they're still with Fox or have gone to Disney.

And I can't stop saying this, but Fox should've gotten the Star Wars franchise by default. It should belong to them.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I read in Forbes or one of those publications, that Disney now owns Willow" and "Red Tails."
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

milojthatch wrote:I read in Forbes or one of those publications, that Disney now owns Willow" and "Red Tails."

:cry: It's a nightmare I tell you.

I hope THAT's not true.
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

I'm locking this thread, since I can't merge threads at this time. Please feel free to copy any posts from this thread to the existing Lucasfilm thread.

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30216
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

ajmrowland wrote:
SWillie! wrote:I don't understand how that isn't healthy. The film and media industry is booming, and those six companies together are employing thousands and thousands of people. That boom wouldnt be happening if it wasnt being driven by these big experienced studios, an many of those people would probably not be employed. There are still plenty of smaller companies that fill the void left after the huge corporations are taken out of the picture. The big studios and the smaller ones have healthy relationships, often collaborating on projects. Studios like Titmouse or Mercury Filmworks, which are owned and operated by individuals, have the freedom of being independent while also having the safety of working on bigger studios' projects, which are more likely to be successful than their own smaller projects. There is creativity everywhere you look, and there is profit everywhere you look. Please explain how any of this is unhealthy.
That is true, but people have a vendetta against big corporations and executives get paid and we've all said here the animators are actually underpaid and this isnt so much about economics; We're talking a huge-ass world we're living in and remember the idea of taking over the world is usually a supervillain thing.
There are a few things I'd point out. One is that the number of outlets for free speech in the media is shrinking with each new merger. Yes, right now there are 6 major studios, but when you take an honest look at the economic sides of a few of those studios, can you honestly say there will be six major studios in a decade from now? Two decades? And do we really trust all media and speech only in the hands of six major companies?

Next is creativity. Yes, these studios employ a lot of people. However, how many people they employ is lessening as demand slows down. I live in the LA area and I can't begun to tell you how many tv people I've been reading about who have lost work due to fewer new shows and most of the new shows that are made going outside of California, many of then in Canada!

Fact is, the less creative new shows and films are, the less demand there will be for them, which means the less jobs there will be. Case in point, please tell me how despite high critical praise and higher ticket prices, the "Spider-Man' re-boot did the worst at the box office out of all the Spider-Man film to-date? I could point to a number of other films as well. Fact is, theaters are not putting butts into seats, and the currently inflated ticket prices are covering that fact up. But it can't do that forever.

Further, Disney now controls two of the biggest tech employers up in the Bay Area with Pixar and LucasFilm, and are very cozy with Apple. I think it was on this forum a while ago it was pointed out how those places were teaming up for shady hiring practices. Who is to say this won't keep happening now?

There is also Disney's growing influence on government. I can tell you, Disney basically owns the Anaheim city council here in California. The more media employment they control with these mergers, the more they alone control the economy of various areas, especially here in California. Tell me that control won't lead to possible influence over government officials in those various places?

These are just a few points I share, but it's just the tip of the iceberg. Nothing good will come of this unless you own Disney stock...
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ael-388424
The story is said to focus on a new generation of heroes and would feature appearances by Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in older incarnations of their beloved characters from the original Star Wars trilogy.
I hope Ford returns as Solo if that's true.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

BREAKING: ‘Star Wars Episode VII’ screenwriter is announced
Just days after Disney announced its intention to acquire Lucasfilm for just over $4 billion, the company released its latest plan for episode VII of the nine-part series, saying Michael Arndt has been tapped to write the screenplay.

“As pre-production of Star Wars: Episode VII begins, Lucasfilm has confirmed that award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay for the new Star Wars film. As revealed in the ongoing video series posted here on StarWars.com, Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas have begun story conferences with Arndt. Arndt won an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for writing Little Miss Sunshine (2006), and was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay for writing Toy Story 3 (2010),’ read a statement released by Lucasfilm on Friday.

Mr. Arndt, who penned Disney-Pixar’s “Toy Story 3,” has reportedly already cranked out nearly 50 pages worth, The Hollywood Reporter said Friday.

The story will supposedly focus on the Skywalker family. The movie will likely feature Mark Hamill (Luke) and Carrie Fisher (Leia) as older versions of the characters made popular in the 70s and 80s. It remains unclear whether Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill will return, although all have expressed interest in returning to the series.
Source: http://natmonitor.com/2012/11/11/breaki ... announced/
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Disney should now buy Hostess and make the people selling Twinkies on eBay for $500 look like fools. :o :lol: :roll:
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Okay, according to one of my roommates, Disney apparently will own anything with the Lucasfilm name on it and any Blu-ray released by Lucasfilm will go into the Disney vault this coming Wednesday. Is that true?
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

DisneyJedi wrote:Okay, according to one of my roommates, Disney apparently will own anything with the Lucasfilm name on it and any Blu-ray released by Lucasfilm will go into the Disney vault this coming Wednesday. Is that true?
The owning anything with the Lucasfilm name part I believe is true. Haven't heard anythig about the vault thing, though.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

J.J. Abrams set to direct ‘Star Wars: Episode VII

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2013/01/ ... isode-vii/
Sources have confirmed the “Star Trek Into Darkness” filmmaker will helm the next “Star Wars” movie, the highly anticipated installment in the landmark franchise scheduled to reach theaters in 2015.

Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Yeah! Now we finally know... the internet just went nuts over this. Every site you go to its being talked about, linked to... this is going to so crazy when this film hits theaters. I can't wait!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I only hope this works out well. As someone who never was a big Star Trek fan, I thoroughly enjoyed what he did with the 2009 movie. So...

Here's hoping he does an excellent- if not, better- job here with Star Wars episode VII. :)
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Some people are complaining that the same director of Star Trek shouldn't also direct Star Wars and visa versa

Personally I'm looking forward to this with JJ Abrams. I think people are overreacting about the Star Wars should not be directed by the guy who is doing Star Trek debate. He will do a great job I'm sure and will keep them separate.

Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Lightsabers... now with lens flare! :wink:
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

disneyboy20022 wrote:Some people are complaining that the same director of Star Trek shouldn't also direct Star Wars and visa versa

Personally I'm looking forward to this with JJ Abrams. I think people are overreacting about the Star Wars should not be directed by the guy who is doing Star Trek debate. He will do a great job I'm sure and will keep them separate.
Exactly. What a dumb arguement, right? He has always said he was a bigger SW fan anyway! No matter who they picked, people would find something to go on about. He seems like a good guy and I've really enjoyed a lot of his projects. He knows SW and I think he will be respectful of it and do a great job. I'm excited for this!
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Maerj wrote:
disneyboy20022 wrote:Some people are complaining that the same director of Star Trek shouldn't also direct Star Wars and visa versa

Exactly. What a dumb arguement, right? He has always said he was a bigger SW fan anyway! No matter who they picked, people would find something to go on about. He seems like a good guy and I've really enjoyed a lot of his projects. He knows SW and I think he will be respectful of it and do a great job. I'm excited for this!
It's been said that his Star Trek felt more like Star Wars which I think that might be some peoples concern which I think is bull crap. He will do fine. Now if it were Michael Bay doing Star Wars...... :huh:

milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I need to preface my comments with the note that I'm a HUGE Star Trek fan. In fact if there is something that is nearer and dearer to my heart then Disney, it would be Star Trek.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of JJ-Trek as it is known by some. I fully understand why casual Trek fans and movie goers or Star Wars fans like it and why it made crazy amounts of money, but I don't fit into those categories. I'm a full on, die hard fan. I've watched every episode of all six shows (yes, I even include the animated series!) and original 10 films. I cried when "Enterprise" ended early, thus ending an 18 year strait streak of Trek on tv. At that time, the vast majority of my life had been watching Star Trek. I even worked for a short time at Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas before it closed.

So when JJ came along, I was hopeful. There had not been any new Trek stories on screen in a few years and I wanted it to be good. After leaving the theater, I cried again inside, but for different reasons then I did over "Enterprise." The Trek I grew up with was officially dead and in the hands of a man who himself admits he liked Star Wars better. If you like pop corn films or general Sci Fi, then sure, I'll admit there is appeal. But for a STAR TREK film, it sucked, pure and simple. It also kind of killed Star Trek for me. Despite the whining by some over "Voyager" and "Enterprise," (I loved both of them!), I hung on and kept watching Trek. I never wanted it to end. JJ killed that for me.

Now, I'm not dissing Star Wars. I like it, but I'm more of a casual fan of that franchise. I also know that for the longest time, THE major geek rivalry outside of DC and Marvel comics was Star Trek and Star Wars. I don't expect casual fans to "get it," but this entire JJ Abrams fiasco has been the sharpest attack on Trek by the Star Wars community since George Lucas first made "A New Hope." It's a big deal to some of us.

So yes, I do see a Star Wars fan film in JJ Abram's 2009 Star Trek. It is the reason he'll be the Episode VII director. However, I'm happy about this and hope my happiness in not unfounded. I'm happy because JJ is far better suited for Star Wars, the thing he really wanted anyway. And I'm happy because (hopefully) this will mean after the new movie this yea, he'll be done messing up my beloved Star Trek and someone who actually cares about it can come in and run things. Maybe even bring us back to the Prime Universe!

Time will tell, but as a Star Trek fan, I can't see anything bad about this! The best Star Trek new in a long, long time.

-Walt Disney
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I wasn't a Star Trek fan at all until the 2009 movie. I still wouldn't consider myself a fan even today, but I liked it well enough and will watch the sequel, if he's even able to do them now. Milo's right in that had that certain jump right into it feel that Star Wars is more known for.

The reason Ive avoided star trek for the longest time has been the overwhelming amount of episodes/movies I would need to get the full picture. Being able to more or less start fresh made the 2009 reboot that much more appealing for people like me who wanted something with less commitment.

That said, I dont know how well suited he is to Star Wars. Im sure he can probably do better than Lucas's prequel trilogy, but will it hold a candle to the original trilogy? I guess that's not even the goal anymore, its just to keep the cash cow going. We'll see if that pays off. I think he did a great job with Super 8, though the alien stuff felt tacked on. Hopefully he can do better with Star Wars. The biggest thing I want from him is a story that feels more personal, characters that have personality and don't feel so wooden. If he can do that I'm in.

He's also someone who understands practical effects have their place so hopefully the CG will be used more selectively.