Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

Post by Sotiris »

A hand-drawn animated feature titled "Koati" is currently playing in theaters. The filmmakers went to great lengths to convince investors and partners to allow them to make the film in 2D. They hired former Disney animators to work on it. Please support it if you can.

Poster and trailer.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/koatiofficial/ ... 2201941301

More info on the film.

‘Koati’: Anabella Sosa-Dovarganes & Rodrigo Perez-Castro Discuss Their Charming Latin American Adventure
https://www.animationmagazine.net/anima ... adventure/

‘Koati’s Timeless 2D Captures the Heart of Latin America’s Biodiversity
https://www.awn.com/animationworld/koat ... odiversity
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I like the character designs. Why had we not heard of this earlier?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Eric Goldberg is proving new 2D animation for the upcoming attraction "Drawn to Life".

Behind the Scenes: Animation & Acrobatics Create a Unique Story in 'Drawn to Life' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuUboe66suw

Animator Eric Goldberg Watches His Creations Come to Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj9Mzv14hLc

Eric Goldberg on Cirque du Soleil’s Drawn to Life
https://d23.com/podcast/d23-inside-disney-episode-117/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

2022 Talent Development Program - Traditional Animation Trainee:
The Traditional Animation Trainees will cross train across the hand-drawn crafts of character animation, effects animation, and cleanup under the mentorship of such iconic masters as Eric Goldberg, Mark Henn, Randy Haycock, and Rachel Bibb.
https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/burb ... 1/19842931
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I have no idea whether this is a legitimate plan by WDAS to bring back hand-drawn animation, if only in small capacities, but it's certainly positive news ... right?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

To me, it reads like they’re figuring out that their only hand drawn animators on the payroll are in their seventies.

They’ve treated hand drawn like ‘an option’ for over a decade but soon there won’t be anyone left to animate if they do want to explore the medium again. When it comes back into fashion for example.

They need people to do the work.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Dont these programs spring up form time to time? Feels like they like to hire young people fresh out of college because they dont have to pay them as much. You dont get the skills you would from the vets at all.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Yeah ... it's weird. I guess if they wanted to do hand-drawn badly they would hire readily-trained animators who would be delighted to work there.

I am certain there are plenty of capable hand-drawn animators available in the US even if the trend these last 20 years has been CG. Heck, I believe many CG animators at WDAS could probably turn out fine hand-drawn animation, even if not at the classic Disney calibre.

I suspect quite a few CG animators in the US probably graduated with a hand-drawn thesis film. Am I wrong?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

first episode of Tom bancrofts latest project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btNihlPi1g
Last edited by Kyle on Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I liked it! A promising start!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

‘Sketchbook’: Disney’s Return to 2D Animation Reinforced by Documentary Series
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/sketc ... 234717825/
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Eeek! :o :shock:

Looks like ... this isn't just empty promises. And they really have something up their sleeves!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Another positive development from Lasseter's ouster and Lee's rise, as well as their streaming service requiring more and more content to draw consumers. I hope hand-drawn animation does revive to some degree, even if it's only for Disney+ content. They could start to return animators for Disney+ series / shorts / spin-offs for older films, but eventually build up to making a film again (even if it's only streaming content)?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

While this is encouraging, I remain cautious and skeptical. Will these projects feature real hand-drawn animation or merely a hand-drawn aesthetic? Will it be vector- or rig-based 2D like in TV animation? Will it be cel-shaded CG or CG with 2D flourishes? I really doubt with the limited number of people they have, they can pull off a hand-drawn feature or series. They've only trained six people in 2D. Their 2D department now consists of only 10 people. Something doesn't add up.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sotiris wrote:While this is encouraging, I remain cautious and skeptical. Will these projects feature real hand-drawn animation or merely a hand-drawn aesthetic? Will it be vector- or rig-based 2D like in TV animation? Will it be cel-shaded CG or CG with 2D flourishes? I really doubt with the limited number of people they have, they can pull off a hand-drawn feature or series. They've only trained six people in 2D. Their 2D department now consists of only 10 people. Something doesn't add up.
Based on that article I assumed they will keep training more and more people to gradually build up the workforce.

Why am I assuming!? :lol: I should know better by now.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

They'll need an army of inbetweeners, unless they have a way to do it digitally, in that case it probably won't even look good.

As far as I know, storyboarding is the closest thing to hand drawn in the studio and even for that they use tablets instead of papers, so there's that as well.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Jules wrote:
Sotiris wrote:While this is encouraging, I remain cautious and skeptical. Will these projects feature real hand-drawn animation or merely a hand-drawn aesthetic? Will it be vector- or rig-based 2D like in TV animation? Will it be cel-shaded CG or CG with 2D flourishes? I really doubt with the limited number of people they have, they can pull off a hand-drawn feature or series. They've only trained six people in 2D. Their 2D department now consists of only 10 people. Something doesn't add up.
Based on that article I assumed they will keep training more and more people to gradually build up the workforce.

Why am I assuming!? :lol: I should know better by now.
I mean, there was that rumor/speculation from 2019 that a 2022 Disney film (which I think is referring to Strange World, if I'm connecting the dots correctly) could have something hand drawn about it.

But that was admittedly a long time ago and not much has come from Strange World yet so we can't confirm/deny just yet.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Farerb wrote:They'll need an army of inbetweeners, unless they have a way to do it digitally, in that case it probably won't even look good.

As far as I know, storyboarding is the closest thing to hand drawn in the studio and even for that they use tablets instead of papers, so there's that as well.
there's no requirement that they need to use paper, digital tablets are the new paper, so its not needed. Of course if they have artists that prefer paper they probably would accommodate them, but generally digital is going to be the preferred way to animate hand drawn for speed and flexibility alone.

Also, why would you think digital inbetweens wouldn't look good? They wouldn't inherently look any worse than paper. Its the drawing themselves that matter, not the medium.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Whether it's a big or small quantity of 2D animation, this is great news to me! :D Could Eric Goldberg be talking about the upcoming Tiana series in the section in bold below?
“I’ve been campaigning for a long time to train up people in hand-drawn, and, as the CG films became more and more popular, that idea became less and less important to the studio,” Goldberg said. “But now we have an atmosphere and a group of people who recognize that’s part of the legacy here, and to actually have content that requires hand-drawn animation is absolutely great. Thank goodness we have people who can do both here, but to actually commit to training up a new generation is a wonderful thing and I think perfectly appropriate for [us].”
Regarding the small number of hand-drawn animators currently at the studio, he mentions there are people who can do both CG and traditional animation there. Is he talking about himself and the other few remaining 2D artists from his generation or about some of the CG animators?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm not surprised if Tiana has something to do with this. Not by itself, but in general. With Disney eager to make Disney+ content, they're probably thinking they could do the same for older films like Mermaid, B&tB, TLK, Dalmatians, etc. that they're doing for Moana, Zootopia, and everything else, and that might be spurring on new hires. No, they don't have the capability for something like a film now, I was referring to the future. They'll probably hire a few more and a few more as time goes on to make more Disney+ content, eventually they may have enough to do a movie, for example (even if it's only DTV quality to start with). Content is content, and hand-drawn is cheaper and faster to make than 3D, isn't it?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"