Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

Post by Farerb »

I haven't seen that in a long time but it's a PIP like in the Diamond Edition of Beauty and the Beast, perhaps it's one of the options when you press play?
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Hmmm, like the "pop-up menu" option? I literally only upgraded to Blu 2.5 years ago, so I'm still a baby when it comes to this stuff! I just grabbed my Blu, so let me put it back in the player, press Play, press "Pop-up menu" and see what happens! Thank you :)

*EDIT* You are a genius. I clearly only watch the films on Movies Anywhere (or D+ now) and use the Blus for bonus features. Click on PLAY and it says you can watch with the WIP!!!! YOU ARE THE BEST!!! :) :pink: :pink: :pink:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Great, I'm glad you found it :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Please support if you can the 2D-animated short "The Flower" from Disney animation veteran Andrew Simmons based on a project he developed at Disney in the early '00s. Here's the link to the Kickstarter campaign. The campaign ends soon, so if you're planning to donate do it now!
A flower falls into a river and floats downstream through 15th century Japan, drifting through a story of strength, loss and remembrance of those we love. The hand-drawn short’s journey began in the Walt Disney Feature Animation Florida Studio before the studio closed in 2004, and now the talented Golden Age animators behind it are seeking $35,000 to bring it to bloom. The creative team includes director Andrew Simmons, art director Jaison Wilson and animation director Tom Bancroft.
Source: https://www.animationmagazine.net/featu ... -doc-more/
The Flower is a three-and-a-half-minute short animated film about a flower as it falls into a river and flows downstream in 15th century Japan. This project is a traditionally drawn 2D animation project which was being worked on by myself and others while I was employed at the Walt Disney Feature Animation Studio in Orlando, FL. Unfortunately, the studio was shut down in 2004 before we could finish the project, but I was able to take all the artwork with me. Currently, a few friends and I are working on getting everything back up and running to finally complete what I can only describe as my lifelong dream project.
Source: http://theflower2dfilm.com/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

oh dang I just visited the Kickstarter page and its over, sadly they couldn't get the funding. I hope they can find another way to get the project completed. I love the art for it Ive seen so far.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

How close were they?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

they raised $23,819 of the $35,000 goal...they were sorta close? Im bad with numbers....
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

10 years have passed since the release of Winnie the Pooh, the last hand drawn animated film from WDAS, and they haven't done any hand drawn animated films ever since for 10 years!! :(

But there's still hope with Tiana.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It's sad that a whole decade has passed without hand-drawn animated films from WDAS. I really doubted Tiana would be traditionally animated, but now that they've made a 2D short, I'm a little more hopeful.
Disney's Divinity

It's sad they ended on Winnie the Pooh rather than TP&TF. TP&TF was a nice book-end to Snow White, imo. No, I don't think Tiana will be hand-drawn, but who knows. Hope springs eternal.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Eric Goldberg animated Mickey for a Dancing with the Stars commercial. What a waste of talent and skill.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUp5Pk5ptO4/
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

For some reason its very off putting hearing the word hashtag coming out of mickey's mouth. lol

Could also just be I'm not used to Mickey's new voice.
Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Nandor »

Sotiris wrote:What a waste of talent and skill.
Fully agreed. Saw it in passing and it made me sad. Probably not what they're going for...
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

D82 wrote:It's sad that a whole decade has passed without hand-drawn animated films from WDAS. I really doubted Tiana would be traditionally animated, but now that they've made a 2D short, I'm a little more hopeful.
What makes you think it won’t be 2D/traditional animated? :?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Will Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn animate the whole thing? Personally I don't want it if it's not going to be at the same level of craftsmanship as the original film, I hope it's cancelled.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Farerb wrote:Will Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn animate the whole thing? Personally I don't want it if it's not going to be at the same level of craftsmanship as the original film, I hope it's cancelled.
Kind of harsh, don’t you think?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

No, I don't. I don't want CGI or something like the cheapquels or Tangled the series or Godmothered. I want high quality hand drawn animation like the original film. If Disney can't provide it then they shouldn't do it in my opinion.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: I don't want CGI or something like the cheapquels or Tangled the series or Godmothered. I want high quality hand drawn animation like the original film. If Disney can't provide it then they shouldn't do it in my opinion.
Agreed. I think the most likely scenario is they'll either make it fully CG, and possibly reuse the Tiana model and rig from Ralph Breaks the Internet, or make it cel-shaded CG to give the illusion of hand-drawn and be able to claim that it visually matches the original.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Am I the only one opening this thread everytime hoping for some news that Disney is finally committing to a hand drawn project again?

Same way I open the newspaper hoping for a cure for corona.

We know it’s not coming haha :headshake:
Disney's Divinity

Ultimately, Tiana is going to be a TV series… Maybe tone down the expectations level. I’d be fine if it looked like Tangled: The Series or the Aladdin series, any of those (just not the BH6 one, that one was *very* poor quality). I'd rather it looked like those than be CGI, although I do expect it being CGI is more likely since WDAS itself is involved.