Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Re: Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

Post by singerguy04 »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:25 am Thanks for sharing the update, Warm Regards! I was wondering just a week or so ago if this project was still happening!
I'm happy to see some news on this one too! It's been in production for sooooo long and I'm happy that it's looking really good! Although I think the whole steampunk fad has ended.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

singerguy04 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:26 amAlthough I think the whole steampunk fad has ended.
But hand-drawn animation never goes out of style. :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Sotiris wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:37 am
singerguy04 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:26 amAlthough I think the whole steampunk fad has ended.
But hand-drawn animation never goes out of style. :wink:
VERY true!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Zootopia+ had some hand-drawn animation. I only noticed it in one of the shorts, animated faces on dollar bills. Mark Henn was in the credits.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avat ... 235429774/
Paramount has announced 2025 release dates for upcoming animated movies about “Avatar: The Last Airbender” and “SpongeBob SquarePants.”

The untitled “SpongeBob” movie has a May 23, 2025, release date and is produced by Nickelodeon Animation and Paramount Animation.

The untitled “Avatar: The Last Airbender” movie is coming Oct. 10, 2025, and is produced by Nickelodeon Animation, Paramount Animation and Avatar Studios. Both are getting wide releases.

Fans of the Nickelodeon series “Avatar: The Last Airbender” — not to be confused with James Cameron’s blue N’avi “Avatar” movies — have been patiently waiting for a big-screen adaptation ever since the formation of Avatar Studios was announced in 2021. Series creators Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, who stepped away from Netflix’s upcoming live-action “Avatar” adaptation, created the animation studio to expand the worlds of the main series and its sequel “The Legend of Korra.”
I'm figuring the next SpongeBob movie will be CG much like the recent movie/spin-off cartoons.

But the Avatar movie, I'm seriously unsure. I figure that fans are so loyal to the original (and the live action adaptation was so hated) that they'd probably want to stick to the orignal's hand drawn style? I can't picture Avatar's anime aesthetic working in CGI but I guess if there's a will there's a way...
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

I don't know if this helps, but I saw Strange World today, and there is a sequence that is kinda choppy 2D, and it is credited to Eric Goldberg, Mark Henn and Randy Haycock.

So... some hand-drawn!
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Marce82 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:25 am I don't know if this helps, but I saw Strange World today, and there is a sequence that is kinda choppy 2D, and it is credited to Eric Goldberg, Mark Henn and Randy Haycock.

So... some hand-drawn!
How the heck did you get a chance to see strange world? Premiere? Advance screenings?
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Lol... I live in Hollywood. There are always advance screenings for people in the film business (and they can often brings guests). Check out the Strange World thread, I posted my thoughts on there.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Oh Wow! If you don’t mind me asking, who/what kind of person do you know in the film industry/your connection?
blackcauldron85

Animators React to Bad & Great Cartoons 9
https://youtu.be/QMETDAdHEWg

(Tarzan, Feast, Paperman)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit:
https://youtu.be/tQqgAUu3Vxo
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Just saw this on Instagram.

Cute, but give as full-length please.

I do get the impression between this and that 101 Dalmatians ad that maybe they really are doing hand drawn again, but just not announcing any features or series.

Tiana better be hand drawn though. Otherwise what is the point to any of this?
blackcauldron85

Super cute! I liked the short with the Mickey documentary, too, but both are super short. More info on the Oswald short:

Disney Debuts First Oswald the Lucky Rabbit Cartoon in 95 Years
https://wdwnt.com/?p=823574
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

“On the eve of Disney’s 100th anniversary, it was such a joy to create the first new Oswald short from our studio since 1928,” says McKim. “Our hand-drawn animation team—including our hand-drawn legends Mark Henn, Randy Haycock, and Eric Goldberg, as well our wonderful team of 2D apprentices—had a ball animating in the style of Oswald’s era.”
Interesting, why invest in apprentices if more projects weren't on the table?

The short is really cute, and I would LOVE to see more Oswald. I would love to have hum be more included in the ranks of the
Fab Five in general. I think having a bunch of smaller shorts like this would be really great to re-introduce the character to the masses. This would be really easy to show during commercial breaks and during other scheduled programming.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Yeah they clearly have a small 2D unit again. But why act so secretive about it?
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

singerguy04 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:38 am
“On the eve of Disney’s 100th anniversary, it was such a joy to create the first new Oswald short from our studio since 1928,” says McKim. “Our hand-drawn animation team—including our hand-drawn legends Mark Henn, Randy Haycock, and Eric Goldberg, as well our wonderful team of 2D apprentices—had a ball animating in the style of Oswald’s era.”
Interesting, why invest in apprentices if more projects weren't on the table?
*cough Tiana Disney+ series *cough
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

A growth in hand-drawn artists again was inevitable with Disney+. Even if it takes a while before Disney greenlights a full-on feature (whether it's released theatrically or streaming-only, whatever the case), you know Disney wants more content for Disney+. Series like Tiana for older films, shorts like this Oswald thing, etc. etc. Lots of content for little content to drive their service, and hand-drawn animation is quick / cheap to make at that.

I think they're making an Ariel show, too, aren't they? (It could just be a DisneyJunior show though, I forget.) If they're looking at older IPs for content, I hope they might correct the omission from the '90s and give Mulan a TV series someday. So strange that one didn't receive one when Hercules and Tarzan (and even something like TENG did). That, and Mulan is a much easier character to build a series around than The Little Mermaid probably was since Mulan fights with a weapon the same way Hercules and Tarzan do.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I haven't been following the Tiana series' production too closely (because I don't want to be too disappointed), but I was under the impression it was more being outsourced like the animation for Disenchanted than actually "in house". I'm excited that I was wrong.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

singerguy04 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:18 am I haven't been following the Tiana series' production too closely (because I don't want to be too disappointed), but I was under the impression it was more being outsourced like the animation for Disenchanted than actually "in house". I'm excited that I was wrong.
They only hired 6 trainees to 4 mentors. I don't think 10 people alone can do a long term hand drawn animated series (probably 6 episodes with 15 minutes runtime per episode).
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Farerb wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:40 am
singerguy04 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:18 am I haven't been following the Tiana series' production too closely (because I don't want to be too disappointed), but I was under the impression it was more being outsourced like the animation for Disenchanted than actually "in house". I'm excited that I was wrong.
They only hired 6 trainees to 4 mentors. I don't think 10 people alone can do a long term hand drawn animated series (probably 6 episodes with 15 minutes runtime per episode).
It's more like maybe 6 episodes with 25 minutes per episode, since Pixar's Win Or Lose is said to be 8 episodes each that range from 16-25 minutes (without end credits and foreign end credits). Also, the fact that people don't think this can be done with only 10 people is foolish when Dreamworks Animation's new logo was made by 10 people in the span of 8 months.