A HUGE Expansion for Hollywood Studios at Disney World?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

A HUGE Expansion for Hollywood Studios at Disney World?

Post by disneyprincess11 »

LINK:
http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/9719
Cars Land along with its attractions Radiator Springs Racers, Luigi’s Flying Tires, and Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree would certainly be enough to finally convince people that Hollywood Studios is a full-day park. So I know what you’re saying, “Tom, some sites have already been saying Cars Land is coming to Florida, so none of this is new.” You’re right, Cars Land isn’t exactly a stretch, but the larger plan to revamp the Studios over the next 6 years is much more than one large land…

Hollywood and Sunset Boulevard will finally see the arrival of the Red Car Trolley if all goes according to plan. The cars will be stored behind Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster, where they will then come through the gate near the attraction’s entrance, turn onto Sunset Boulevard, and ride down to Hollywood Boulevard. Now, as for where they will travel from here, I have heard two scenarios: either they will swing left to the park entrance and then turn back towards Sunset Boulevard down a new street taking them past the Theater of the Stars or they will take a trip up to the Great Movie Ride, passing over what used to be the Sorcerer’s Hat before returning down Sunset Boulevard. I tend to think the route illustrated above is a little more realistic considering guest flow in certain areas.

I like the idea of a new street cutting towards Sunset Boulevard as it would make is much easier to get from the park entrance to Tower of Terror, Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster, the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater, and Theater of the Stars. Speaking of Theater of the Stars, enjoy Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage while you can because that is currently scheduled to be the first thing leaving once work starts on this giant project. Similar to what happened to the Theater in the Wild at Animal Kingdom back in 2006, this theater will close for 10-12 months to be enclosed before a new show debuts. That new show? Tangled: The Musical.

Moving beyond the Hollywood of the 1930′s, one of the most anticipated pieces of the project has to be “Star Wars Land”. I don’t think that will be the name, but a new show and dining experience should round-out the Star Wars offerings in the park nicely. The beloved Backlot Express restaurant will be converted into the Mos Eisley Cantina from Star Wars: A New Hope, allowing guests to interact with strange creatures at the bar and order even stranger menu items, maybe even some blue milk. Meanwhile, Jedi Training Academy will move into the former Sounds Dangerous theater for an entire new version of the show that incorporates and audio-animatronics living character figure of Yoda. I’ve also heard Disney will be looking to either expand the existing shop or build a new larger Star Wars store near-by as the current store just can’t hold all of the merchandise they have available, including space for things like the Droid Factory or the “Carbon Freeze Me” process.

Moving north, Muppet Studios is in for some investment as well, albeit not nearly as major as anything else that might happen in the park. Pizza Planet will become a counter service location themed to the Muppets, while Mama Melrose’s should become some sort of table service experience with the Swedish Chef. While The Muppets have proven popular, the safe investment would be in converting dining locations rather than constructing a new attraction to showcase them. I also expect to see a few Muppets living character shows roll around this area as well, such as the returning Muppet Mobile Labs with Bunson Honeydew and Beaker, or the long rumored Electric Mayhem band.

The final piece of the puzzle should be the long-rumored Monsters Inc. suspended roller-coaster including a giant scene in the door room from the film. This ride would still be heading to Soundstage 1 from what I am hearing. I know, it may be hard to believe this one as we have been hearing about it forever, but now that the company is looking to invest in the park, it seems likely that a ride already somewhat developed would be cheaper to add than something still in the early stages of creation.

There are also rumors of changes to Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, and Fantasmic!, and the possible replacement of PIXAR Pals: Countdown to Fun with the PIXAR Play Parade currently running at Disney California Adventure.
Everything sounds cool, but REMOVE THE SORCERER'S HAT?! :( Also, DHS is becoming WAY too much like California Adventure with Cars Land, the Theater, and the Trollies. I also don't see how Cars Land will fit to that tiny area. I'm nervous about the changes to Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror, even though I don't like those rides. They should keep them the way they are. I'm excited about Tangled: The Musical and for Fantasmic!, I hope they add the updates DCA has, plus the addition of Dr. Facilier, M. Gothel, and Elsa from Frozen (if she's that evil).
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I've seen this rumoured DHS expansion discussed by proven sources of inside information at Disney over the past week and the only things that seem likely to happen at the moment are the hat being removed, the trolley cars possibly being added and a scaled-back clone of Carsland (not the entire land but probably Radiator Springs Racers). The Star Wars and Muppets stuff has been rumoured for ages and, at present, doesn't seem likely to happen soon while the Monsters, Inc. roller-coaster has been on-and-off for years so it could happen if Disney decide to finally give it the go-ahead to construction (the plans have been in place for a while). Tangled the Musical has been rumoured ever since the film was released but, at the moment, there's nothing to suggest that it is coming just yet; the same could be said for Fantasmic. From what I've read, the general notion is that the main point of change will be the Backlot area; the Backlot Tour and the stunt show sound likely to make way for the Cars attraction and, possibly, further attractions that would expand Pixar Place (I'm hoping for something to do with The Incredibles). Two or three more attractions there alone would massively improve the park.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disn ... nd.843056/

This is where I first got the information. The person who posted it, WDW74, is a very good source of information at Disney.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

I think Trollies would be a very nice "Old Hollywood" touch to DHS.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MMdqZAxXpds" frameborder="0"></iframe>
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Re: A HUGE Expansion for Hollywood Studios at Disney World?

Post by toonaspie »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
Everything sounds cool, but REMOVE THE SORCERER'S HAT?!
Well the hat does get A LOT of hate. So many won't consider it a total loss. If this allows the Chinese Theater to be the new DHS icon I'll be more than happy considering it's already in the center of the park.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

When I first heard of Cars Land I was surprised at the scale, considering it to be named "Pixar's Worst" by some critics, but after seeing how amazingly brilliant the attraction is at DCA I welcome it, but i agree it can't be entirely "Cars Land" just the "Radiator Racers" would fit fine.

The Tangled Musical, asdfghjkl HAS to happen, Hopefully Alan Menken will right some new material, if it's ever green lit (fingers crossed!)

The Muppet's really do deserve a bigger themed area, and it's a shame they may just be placed in a restaurant,

The Stars Wars area seems pretty cool, but I wish Disney would have it like half SW half Marvel.

But this is welcoming news for me anyway! :)
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

DisneyDude2010 wrote:The Stars Wars area seems pretty cool, but I wish Disney would have it like half SW half Marvel.
Marvel won't be coming to WDW anytime soon because of legal issues with Universal; if Disney do something with Marvel in America they'll have to do so west of the Mississippi River. The problem with Star Wars is that the relationship between Disney and George Lucas is, apparently, not particularly good at the moment. I'm not sure whether its a recent thing since Star Tours was only redeveloped at WDW and DL recently but from what I've read from insiders (who have proven reliable) is that neither wants to collaborate right now.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Ooooooooh! Tangled TheMusical, I like that idea. But it's sad to see Beauty & the Beast Live On Stage gone.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote: Marvel won't be coming to WDW anytime soon because of legal issues with Universal; if Disney do something with Marvel in America they'll have to do so west of the Mississippi River.
Shame really, but I find this really interesting, Do you know why it's this? I did here somewhere that the Marvel characters are going to Dubai. Thanks for the reply anyway :)

And that's equally bad, is George Lucas unhappy with Star Tours then?

(Just had a thought, remember when The Power Rangers were at the parks? :lol: )
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:
DisneyAnimation88 wrote: Marvel won't be coming to WDW anytime soon because of legal issues with Universal; if Disney do something with Marvel in America they'll have to do so west of the Mississippi River.
Shame really, but I find this really interesting, Do you know why it's this? I did here somewhere that the Marvel characters are going to Dubai. Thanks for the reply anyway :)

And that's equally bad, is George Lucas unhappy with Star Tours then?

(Just had a thought, remember when The Power Rangers were at the parks? :lol: )
Is that a rhetorical question?

Lucas is always unhappy about his baby. Gotta edit those updates to umptenth time!
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I hope this is all a rumor, especially Cars Land. If they add it here to DHS, that'll just make the one in DCA less special and unique.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

DisneyJedi wrote:I hope this is all a rumor, especially Cars Land. If they add it here to DHS, that'll just make the one in DCA less special and unique.
I agree. They're adapting a lot of the new things from DCA, which I apperichate. But, DCA will be less special.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

DisneyDude2010 wrote:Shame really, but I find this really interesting, Do you know why it's this? I did here somewhere that the Marvel characters are going to Dubai. Thanks for the reply anyway Smile
No problem. The issue is Universal hold the theme park rights to Marvel and to get them, Disney would have to pay a massive amount. Disney can do whatever they want with Marvel in California but not in Florida. Bob Iger was asked in an interview recently about Marvel at WDW and he answered that it wouldn't be happening. Years down the line it could if Disney and Uni could come to an agreement but it won't anytime soon by the looks of it.

As for Lucas, I'm not sure what the problem is, just that at the moment the relationship between him and Disney isn't good at all. I've read that its been that way for a while but they put it aside for the opening of Star Tours II last year. It does come at a bad time for Disney because if, and that's a big if, DHS does get an overhaul, they could really do something with Star Wars.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
DisneyJedi wrote:I hope this is all a rumor, especially Cars Land. If they add it here to DHS, that'll just make the one in DCA less special and unique.
I agree. They're adapting a lot of the new things from DCA, which I apperichate. But, DCA will be less special.
So these are all for real? :(
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

We don't know for sure yet. It sounds legit, but Disney hasn't confirmed anything yet.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, then I hope they aren't true. Because:

1) I'm fine with Star Tours being a standalone Star Wars-related attraction at Disney.

2) California Adventure is special now because of Cars Land. We already have a Little Mermaid ride being made here for the new Fantasyland, so there's no real need for Disney World to have Cars Land. I mean, take Phantom Manor for example. That's pretty much like The Haunted Mansion, except everything going on in the ride is connected by one deep plot, a dark one too, if I may say so. That's what makes it a little more unique than other Disney Haunted Mansions out there and one of the reasons why Disneyland Paris is special.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

They've gotta do SOMETHING with DHS. It's now the least visited of the 4 parks at WDW. I would even accept a Carsland although in general I hate when they duplicate attractions at WDW & DL.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

carolinakid wrote:They've gotta do SOMETHING with DHS. It's now the least visited of the 4 parks at WDW. I would even accept a Carsland although in general I hate when they duplicate attractions at WDW & DL.
Considering Universal Orlando got rid of:

-King Kong

-Jaws

-Back to the future

etc is it possible to used those for Disney Hollywood or do Universal still have those rights?

I think the problem is that Disney Hollywood isn't a Studio theme park anymore and starting to become just a another theme park filled with disney(mostly animated movies) promotions. I think they need to go back to it's roots of Movie studio park by having more outside movies (preferably classic/iconic ones) introduced and more Hollywood special effects/stunts displays. Adding Carsland is not only bland and lazy but unoriginal too. To me it's a waste of space and too much pixar stuff taking over.

Rides like Jaws and King Kong or something similar, to me, would been better suited. I also think Disney Hollywood needs to be bigger park too. Add another expansion or something.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Lot of this sounds like Armchair Imagineering to me.

The hat needs to really go though. It just does not belong on Hollywood Boulevard at all.
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

Super Aurora wrote:
carolinakid wrote: To me it's a waste of space and too much pixar stuff taking over.
As much as I love some of the movies Pixar makes, I agree. It seems like Pixar's slowly taking over the parks. :(

Getting rid of the hat? I liked the hat! :(