A HUGE Expansion for Hollywood Studios at Disney World?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Super Aurora wrote: I think the problem is that Disney Hollywood isn't a Studio theme park anymore and starting to become just a another theme park filled with disney(mostly animated movies) promotions. I think they need to go back to it's roots of Movie studio park by having more outside movies (preferably classic/iconic ones) introduced and more Hollywood special effects/stunts displays. Adding Carsland is not only bland and lazy but unoriginal too. To me it's a waste of space and too much pixar stuff taking over.

Rides like Jaws and King Kong or something similar, to me, would been better suited. I also think Disney Hollywood needs to be bigger park too. Add another expansion or something.
I agree. I think Hollywood Studios is having quite the identity crisis. When I think of everything that's there now, I can't help but think how confused the park is on what it's supposed to be. What would be cool is if they had different sections for different the eras of film, starting with the Silent Era. The Great Movie Ride would be a good umbrella for those different eras, much like how Spaceship Earth is to Epcot's themes. Attractions can be based on films from those respective eras. The other 3 parks all have very distinct and well defined themed sections. Hollywood studios, not so much.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

DisneyJedi wrote:So these are all for real? Sad
The only thing that seems at all likely at the moment is a scaled-down version of Carsland on the Backlot Tour plot that would be made up of Radiator Springs Racers, a shop and maybe one of the smaller rides that's just opened at DCA. That hat might also be removed soon but the rest is all rumour at the moment, at least according to insiders who have proven to be credible.
Kraken Guard wrote:As much as I love some of the movies Pixar makes, I agree. It seems like Pixar's slowly taking over the parks. Sad
I don't disagree but it also doesn't make sense to me why there is a Pixar "land" at DHS that only has one ride right now. There's a lot of Toy Story, Nemo and Cars in the parks but nothing really to do with The Incredibles, Up, WALL-E, Ratatouille, A Bug's Life or, to a lesser extent, Monsters, Inc. One of the buildings in that area has already been prepped for the Monsters, Inc. coaster before it was shelved so it could slot in there quite seamlessly if Disney finally gave it the go-ahead. If Cars were to go where The Backlot Tour/stunt show is now, there would still be plenty of room for additional attractions, especially if Streets of America was removed; to me that would make sense as the area is pretty redundant right now. If Pizza Planet were then moved to Pixar Place, that could conceivably allow a Muppets-themed restaurant to take that space.

For me, at the moment the only area of DHS that doesn't really need urgent tinkering with is Sunset Boulevard; Tower of Terror and Rock & Roller Coaster are really good attractions and I think the theming of that area is great, especially the music which is really immersive. I don't like what has become of the Villains shop at the moment and I wouldn't be too sorry to see the Beauty and the Beast show replaced but, in the grand scheme of things at DHS, the area is pretty good as it is.

A full-fledged Pixar land (or at least an expansion of the "land" they've already started) could conceivably add maybe five new attraction which would increase the amount to do at the park considerably given that it doesn't have that many rides at the moment. Radiator Springs Racers and the Monsters, Inc. coaster would be good as they could also cut the ridiculous wait times for Toy Story Midway Mania right now. Compliment that with maybe an Incredibles attraction and possibly A Bug's Life or Ratatouille, add a restaurant (the most obvious choice being Pizza Planet) and I think it would be a huge upgrade over what's there right now. Pixar films have a huge fanbase but they only seem to use certain films at the theme parks and ignore the rest. WALL-E could be a good addition to Future World at Epcot if done well.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: A HUGE Expansion for Hollywood Studios at Disney World?

Post by disneyprincess11 »

The rumors are back, but only now it's going to be Pixar. It sounds it's going to be Cars Lands or that Toy Story Place

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2014/09/bye-bye-b ... sing-soon/
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

toonaspie wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:
Everything sounds cool, but REMOVE THE SORCERER'S HAT?!
Well the hat does get A LOT of hate. So many won't consider it a total loss. If this allows the Chinese Theater to be the new DHS icon I'll be more than happy considering it's already in the center of the park.
The problem with the hat is if there's a stage in front of the hat, you can barely see the hat. That's what's happening now with Frozen Summer Fun with the Coolest Ever Summer Dance Party.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

RUMOR: The Very Latest On Possible Attractions For Toy Story Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2014/12/rumor-the ... d-studios/
blackcauldron85

The Sorcerer's Hat is coming down on January 7th:
http://thedisneyblog.com/2015/01/02/sor ... -on-jan-7/
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I Seriously want the area to be a Pixar-themed area. Especially for a Monsters Inc. ride, whether it be a roller coaster (based on the door chase scene) or anything.

Seriously, though. I've been dying to see a MI themed coaster since I saw the movie back in 2001. :(
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

DisneyJedi wrote:I Seriously want the area to be a Pixar-themed area. Especially for a Monsters Inc. ride, whether it be a roller coaster (based on the door chase scene) or anything.

Seriously, though. I've been dying to see a MI themed coaster since I saw the movie back in 2001. :(
There are Monsters, Inc. dark rides in California Adventure and Tokyo Disneyland. But I agree, a coaster would be pretty cool.

Especially at Hollywood, which really needs a new ride or two. The fact that you can name all of theirs on one hand says a lot.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Well, Jedi. You're going to get what you wish for. Because pretty much the WHOLE park is getting replaced:
ay goodbye to the Disney’s Hollywood Studios you have come to love over the years, and get ready to welcome with open arms the biggest theme park expansion Disney has ever set out to do. Details of Disney’s Hollywood Adventure are set to be rolled out at this year’s D23 Expo in Anaheim come August, but we’ve got the exclusive on some of the secrets The Mouse was trying to keep under wraps until then.

With the attention of geeks centered on what comes out of San Diego a short time from now at the 2015 edition of Comic-Con, there have been some major developments swirling beneath the radar as it pertains to Disney. The Mouse is going to have a huge presence at the event, pulling back the curtain on a great deal of STAR WARS content to whip the fans into a frenzy for the weekend, but for those who don’t just want to watch the things they love, but experience them as well, the enthusiasm will reach a much higher level when they learn of the pilgrimage to Orlando, Florida, they’ll have to make in the near future.

Per our reliable source Uncle Walt, Disney’s board has approved $3 billion for a massive overhaul of the Studios park, complete with rebranding to better reflect the shift away from how movies are made to more how they live and breathe inside of us. Along with that money, we’ll be seeing the park dominated by STAR WARS, Pixar and Indiana Jones as a great deal of the park’s older attractions are put out to pasture and about six new ones are ushered in.

Let’s start with what goes… Basically everything. It’d be easier to list what is going to be sticking around, as that list is much shorter, so here you go – The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster, Toy Story Mania and the Great Movie Ride. If an attraction is not in that company, it’s not going to last. And yes, that even includes Muppet Vision 3D and the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, with things like the Art of Animation already confirmed to be on the cutting room floor.

But fear not, Disney lovers. Not all change is bad. What is in the works is something that should inject some new energy into the park, with two new STAR WARS attractions tapped to be in the works, including a Dagobah centerpiece for where Echo Lake and Gertie the Dinosaur currently reside. Details on what those attractions will be have managed to escape me for now, but, with STAR TOURS and the Jedi Training Academy, which I hear will be relocating indoors to an existing building, already in place, you’re looking at four STAR WARS attractions on the ground inside the park, not to mention the possibilities for dining and shopping experiences that would mimic what you’d encounter in that galaxy far, far away.

Indiana Jones will not be staying away from Hollywood Adventure for too long. He just won’t be doing it in a stunt capacity with the rumors of the long-standing show closing up shop finally coming true. However, an updated version of the Indiana Jones Adventure that can be found in Disneyland in Anaheim, CA, will be breaking ground in Florida finally. So there’s that to look forward to.

As for Pixar’s presence, Pixar Place will continue to grow, with three new attractions being added to the mix, and that doesn’t even count the expansion of Toy Story Mania that is currently in the works. In fact, sources tell me that construction may already be underway, hidden from public view where the Studio Backlot Tour used to exist. That would make the time from announcement to completion feel much shorter, a strategy Universal has successfully employed in recent years for their theme parks.

Now the time frame for all of this to be completed is a bit of a mystery. Disney is well aware that the park remains popular, and they’d like to keep guests coming through the turnstiles as they work through this period of transition. As a result, you’re not just going to see each of the rides and shows set to go closing their doors all at once. Disney will be moving through in waves, knowing that a handful of rides aren’t going to be enough to satisfy their crowds. So you’ll see a few things close down in order to make way for the new attractions, and, as those come along in the process, others will then start shuttering up for the new construction.

Once again, I’ve been told all of this will be revealed at D23 in greater detail and with many more specifics, but at least for now you have the blueprint for what The Mouse has planned for the next few years in Orlando.

Oh, and that doesn’t even include the new nighttime show being lined up for EPCOT to replace Illuminations or the new attraction that will be kicking Journey Into Imagination to the curb.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah.

http://thisisinfamous.com/3-billion-all ... exclusive/
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

So basically, we're keeping the rides, but losing all of the shows. There are some things that I'll definitely miss, but I'm definitely interested.

Especially for an east coast Indiana Jones Adventure. I did like having the stunt show, since it helped us stand out, but I've always wanted to go on this ride, so I'd gladly take it.

But to be honest, I'm not big on Star Wars. I'd much rather have some Marvel stuff, but I know that won't happen... aside from maybe some Guardians or Big Hero 6 stuff.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Wait wait ... isn't Voyage of the Little Mermaid in this park ?!?!?! Is that going too ?!?!?!
blackcauldron85

Atlantica wrote:Wait wait ... isn't Voyage of the Little Mermaid in this park ?!?!?! Is that going too ?!?!?!
The stage show is in this park, yes...I haven't heard any news of it for sure closing, though... But, with One Man's Dream on the chopping block, who knows, as they're next to each other...

First permits reveal some of the scope of the expansion coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/dis ... tudios.htm
blackcauldron85

Disney Finally Announces “Club Villain” for Hollywood Studios, Special Ticketed Dining Event in 2016
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/10/disney-fi ... t-in-2016/
blackcauldron85

PizzeRizzo coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios – Update
http://thedisneyblog.com/2016/10/10/piz ... os-update/

(Notice how the sign says "The Pizza Planet!"
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85

http://thedisneyblog.com/2016/10/13/dis ... -part-3-3/
Speaking of One Man’s Dream, the concept art for Toy Story Land indicates that eventually that building will have to go. I haven’t heard when that may happen, but I would be sure to see One Man’s Dream on your next trip.

Finally, I’ve also heard a rumor that Disney’s Hollywood Studios may get some holiday cheer this year in the form of a light show on Hollywood Boulevard. Rather than string lights like they used to do for the Osborne lights, they will instead use digital projectors to simulate the same experience.
blackcauldron85

A new holiday nighttime spectacular!
http://www.disneydining.com/disneys-hol ... -304983553
blackcauldron85

TV Star statue garden being removed from Disney’s Hollywood Studios
http://thedisneyblog.com/2016/10/21/tv- ... d-studios/

Disney’s Hollywood Studios October Update
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/articles ... er-update/
blackcauldron85

PizzeRizzo gets an opening date at Disney's Hollywood Studios + menu info:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/pizzeriz ... tudios.htm
blackcauldron85

Star Wars droid BB-8 now greeting guests at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
http://thedisneyblog.com/2017/04/17/sta ... d-studios/