Hocus Pocus 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Hocus Pocus 2

Post by Vlad »

Friday night, I'll be watching Hocus Pocus 2 (looking forward to that post-credits scene), and Saturday, going to the theater to see Avatar. :D :D :D
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Does this come out on Disney+ September 30th??? For some reason, I just thought it wouldn't be coming out until late October or something.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, Divinity, it comes out as soon as September 30th!
Disney's Divinity

I just read some article that Bette Midler had repeated lines from "I Put a Spell on You" on Twitter that had people surprised because the words were different than people realized. Apparently, when she goes on stage, she says, "Hello, sailors! My name is Winifred, what's yours?" Apparently most people thought she said, "Hello, Salem!" Personally, I never really knew what she said there and didn't think of either of those...lol I had a MP3 of the song when I was growing up, most of the time I would sing it as "Hello, fellows!" or something like that. :P
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's unbelievable! I always thought it was "Hello, Salem!" By any chance, did she change the words just for her tweets? Like, some of her followers are sailors? Or she has some sailor friends or something?
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Could the "Hello Sailors!" line not be a reference to Bette Midler's Golden Globe winning role in the movie "For The Boys" where she plays a singer who performs for military personnel during the Vietnam war which came out two years before Hocus Pocus?!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I always thought it was "Hello, Salem!" too!!
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

In the movie she says "Hello Salem!" 100%. She just changed her wording for her tweet.
Disney's Divinity

It was on Instagram apparently. I don't know any reason why she'd say Hello, sailors on Instagram... There's no joke there, she was simply repeating what she remembered saying from the movie apparently. *shrug* For what it's worth, if you listen closely to the song, there is no "m" sound at the end of the word, whatever it is.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1347900/be ... y-30-years
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Omg, I've now listened to it a few times and it does sound like Sailors now... Everything is a lie.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Bette Midler has often tried to emulate Mae West, and "Hello Sailors" is definitely a saying in the vein of Mae West. Every script and caption for it says "Salem" so...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:21 am It was on Instagram apparently. I don't know any reason why she'd say Hello, sailors on Instagram... There's no joke there, she was simply repeating what she remembered saying from the movie apparently. *shrug* For what it's worth, if you listen closely to the song, there is no "m" sound at the end of the word, whatever it is.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1347900/be ... y-30-years
In the video from the article you posted they say someone commented that most likely autocorrect got in the way, and I think that's probably what happened. It's true it's not totally clear what she says in the movie, but I've checked other videos of Bette Midler performing the song at different events and she always says "hello" plus the name of the city they're in, which would make more sense if it was Salem what she says in the movie. Here are some examples: Atlanta, LA, Phoenix, Seattle, Manchester.
Disney Duster

Re: Hocus Pocus 2very smart

Post by Disney Duster »

Very smart realization, D82!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The mystery has been solved:

Bette Midler Officially Sets the Record Straight on That Hocus Pocus Quote Debate
https://www.eonline.com/amp/news/134824 ... ote-debate

Here are also a new clip and images from the premiere that took place yesterday.

The review embargo lifts tomorrow, the day before the release, which I've heard is the norm for Disney+ releases. Pinocchio's reviews came out the same day of release, but that was an exception. I've looked the original film up on Rotten Tomatoes and it has a rotten score from critics, so at least there's not much pressure to deliver in that regard; just to please the fans, I guess.
Disney's Divinity

I'm glad Bette Midler clarified. What she says has more value to me than opinions on DVDizzy, that's for sure. Interesting though that a correction comes flying out after this gets talked about here. That's why I still believe Disney keeps an eye on this place...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New featurette, clip and details about the soundtrack.

The movie currently has a 67% score on Rotten Tomatoes from 60 reviews.

Disney's Divinity wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:18 pm I'm glad Bette Midler clarified. What she says has more value to me than opinions on DVDizzy, that's for sure. Interesting though that a correction comes flying out after this gets talked about here. That's why I still believe Disney keeps an eye on this place...
I don't think Disney has anything to do with it on this occasion. E! Online are the ones who started all this when they noticed Bette Midler posted "sailors" instead of "Salem", plus the reactions to her post on Instagram and wrote an article about it, which is the reason we started talking about it. They are also the ones who asked Bette Midler to clarify at the premiere when they finally had a chance to speak with her, probably so they could have material for another exclusive article.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for posting the confirmation, D82. So glad Bette cleared it up herself. Can't wait to watch the whole film tomorrow, when I'm off of work!
Disney's Divinity

I stayed up until it appeared on Disney+ last night (had to wait 'til 3 AM, unfortunately...). I used the waiting time to get through some other streaming-only movies, got through Fire Island and halfway through Lightyear, I'll finish it some time over the next two months, who knows. :lol:

I definitely went into this not expecting it to be as good as the first, but was still a little disappointed. I mean, it wasn't terrible or anything, just not as funny as I'd hoped. Probably the best part was the pharmacy scene. The opening scene with the three as children was much better than I expected it to be. Still, it was fun seeing the three actresses back together and I still hope they make a third one!
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

It wasn't terrible... it was just... ok.

The three lead actresses were GREAT, no question about that. But the story... the directing (what's with all the dutch angles??), the choppy editing...
I felt like there wasn't much of a story, and a very anti-climactic ending. There were also some tonal issues... like, the witches are resurrected, and instead of being ominous, or suspenseful, or intense... they just started randomly singing?? Talk about destroying the moment.

I also suspect they were trying to make them less "evil", and less of a threat to children. Ugh.

And why was SJP's hair parted in the middle, and not the side, like the first movie?~?~? The ONE visually inaccurate thing!

I did enjoy the scoring a lot... that felt very in line with the original movie.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I have a similar opinion as well. It was at least entertaining and the witches were really good in it once again, but it was also forgettable and felt a lot like a Disney Channel movie. All the Disney+ original movies I've watched so far have felt this way to me (except the ones that were initially made for theaters), so this actually makes me more worried about Disenchanted. Well, at least if I don't like that movie, I know I'll enjoy the songs on their own. I'm used to that anyway with the live-action remakes.

The fact that this sequel has a better score than the first film on Rotten Tomatoes proves you can't take that site too seriously. Anyway, I'm not as big of a fan of the original as others, as I've said on other occasions (though, I watched it again the other day and I liked it more this time). The people who are will maybe enjoy it more than me.
Marce82 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:14 pm There were also some tonal issues... like, the witches are resurrected, and instead of being ominous, or suspenseful, or intense... they just started randomly singing?? Talk about destroying the moment.
Yeah, that was very jarring. They should've cut that and just keep the full version that's in the credits. I also wish the full performance of the other song had been featured and not just some portions of it.
Marce82 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:14 pm I also suspect they were trying to make them less "evil", and less of a threat to children. Ugh.
Yeah, they definitely did that and it's a shame. They were more comical and less menacing this time, and the backstory contributed to make them more sympathetic. In the first film they were scarier and there was a greater sense of danger. I think that's not only due to the witches, though. The three teenage girls didn't seem to be in much peril and weren't as good at conveying they were scared as the children in the first film.
Marce82 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:14 pm And why was SJP's hair parted in the middle, and not the side, like the first movie?~?~? The ONE visually inaccurate thing!
Oh, I hadn't noticed that. It's strange they changed that detail. It's not the only thing that's different, though. According to this article, Kathy Najimy's crooked mouth is on the other side this time, but I doubt anybody noticed it and there's an explanation for it, as well as a justification for it in the movie.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:20 pm Still, it was fun seeing the three actresses back together and I still hope they make a third one!
Well, if they have a better script next time, I wouldn't mind a third movie either.