Hocus Pocus 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Re: Hocus Pocus 2

Post by Elladorine »

I thought I’d try enhancing a still from the preview.

Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks D82! Good job, Elladorine, I thought it was a legit still! This kind of looks like it's just repeating or calling back to things from the original, but I don't care, I love it, and that new "spread out" joke is hilarious!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I love the poster. I like that they tried to imitate that poster for the original film--the one that looks sort of like a hand-drawn image, I believe?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

God, I hope they won't screw this up, like they did with Pinocchio.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

looks cute. Its true the stuff with the three teens looks very Disney Channel. I'm glad Billy's back(Didn't know Doug Jones played him!!!) I hope he gets an expanded role with more funny lines(I hope he gets to cuss out Winny again lol!)
D82 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:44 pm By the way, the fact that there'll be child versions of the Sanderson sisters makes me fear they might try to make them sympathetic. I hope that's not the case. From what I remember, they were quite evil and menacing in the original and I'd prefer they stayed that way.
I think that's exactly what will happen. I think so due to the fact that there might be a male villain(the revenant)in this film(i think he's the flying creature that gives the sisters the book). Apparently female villains who become popular cult characters(see Cruella, Maleficent) cant stay villains in Disney films anymore.:|
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:11 pm My husband said this looks like "Disney Channel quality," (in a negative way) but I think this looks so fun. "Amuck, amuck, amuck!". :pink:
The first one also felt a bit like a Disney Channel movie to me, though certain elements, like the witches, for example, made it better than that. I haven't watched it in a long time, though, and I've seen it just twice in total, so I may be wrong. I plan to watch it again before the sequel comes out. I'm now excited to see both.
Elladorine wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:50 pm I thought I’d try enhancing a still from the preview.

They did a good job casting the child versions, especially the one who plays Winifred.
Disney Duster wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:34 pm This kind of looks like it's just repeating or calling back to things from the original, but I don't care, I love it, and that new "spread out" joke is hilarious!
Yeah, it seems the plot is going to be quite similar, but I think it'll still be fun.
unprincess wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:15 pm
D82 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:44 pm By the way, the fact that there'll be child versions of the Sanderson sisters makes me fear they might try to make them sympathetic. I hope that's not the case. From what I remember, they were quite evil and menacing in the original and I'd prefer they stayed that way.
I think that's exactly what will happen. I think so due to the fact that there might be a male villain(the revenant)in this film(i think he's the flying creature that gives the sisters the book). Apparently female villains who become popular cult characters(see Cruella, Maleficent) cant stay villains in Disney films anymore.:|
I also got that impression from the beginning with them as children, but they seem as evil as ever when they're adults, so hopefully they haven't made them too sympathetic. As I said the other day, maybe the reason they're featuring them as children is to draw a parallel between the three witches and the three teenage girls. I think they'll probably show the witches were similar to them at first, but then the bad paths they chose in life (vengeance instead of forgiving, for example, or things like that) turned them evil, while the group of protagonists still have the option of choosing a different path and not making the same mistakes. At least, I hope it's something like that and not them turning good.

Regarding the part in spoilers, at first I didn't understand what you meant by "the revenant", but it's from the captions of the trailer, right? It says "reverend" there instead of "revenant", though. Do you mean you think he and the character played by Hannah Waddingham are the same person? Well, it's true his voice appears to change from male to female when he says "forever", but he's against the girls and she seems to be helping them, so I'm not sure if that could be true. Well, unless she's pretending and has some hidden agenda.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Elladorine wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:50 pm I thought I’d try enhancing a still from the preview.

I don't know why, but whenever they're making a backstory for a character in a movie, I find that very boring and unappealing. I hope it won't be the case here. Meanwhile, the actress who plays young Winnie looks great.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Director Anne Fletcher, Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy talk about the possibility of a third movie:
"I have definitely kept it wide open for any sequel," the director tells SFX magazine in the new issue, featuring Chucky on the cover. "Now it’s really up to them if they want to do it. I can’t say anything other than yes, it is left open. Will they do it? I don’t know, they haven’t even talked about it, that I can be honest with you."

Producer Lynn Harris is also open to the suggestion, teasing: "There’s always potential. It’s a movie about magic and witches. Those things are timeless, aren’t they? A multiverse of witches!"
Source: https://www.gamesradar.com/hocus-pocus- ... -plus-sfx/

NAJIMY: I feel like we're done. We've pulled every story you could pull out of this. I guess, never say never, but I feel grateful that we got to do it again. I don't know that there are plans for a third one, but I know fans are dedicated to this film. I'm just happy we can bring this to them.

PARKER: Kathy had a good idea that the third one should be animated. That would be cool and a smart idea. It's fun, funny, and could be interesting and innovative, like old-fashioned or new [animation]. Of course I'd be happy to have a conversation, it just depends on what Kathy and Bette want!

MIDLER: I don't know. I'm envious of other actors who have franchises, and I was hoping for a sequel to First Wives Club, but we never got that. After 30 years with no sequel to Hocus Pocus, I've always been envious of people who get to do their favorite character more than once. The fact that we got to do this finally, after 30 years of promoting the idea, I'm glad we got to do it. I'd love to have a franchise — especially a character I love playing. If there was a third one, of course I'd sign on, but I don't know how. I can't imagine what the story would be, but I love Winifred, Sarah, Mary, and our relationship. It's good for women. We stick together through hell and high water, but we do cause mayhem, and not many women cause that much mayhem!
Source: https://ew.com/movies/hocus-pocus-2-cas ... n-sisters/
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

D82 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:18 am
unprincess wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:15 pm Regarding the part in spoilers, at first I didn't understand what you meant by "the revenant", but it's from the captions of the trailer, right? It says "reverend" there instead of "revenant", though. Do you mean you think he and the character played by Hannah Waddingham are the same person? Well, it's true his voice appears to change from male to female when he says "forever", but he's against the girls and she seems to be helping them, so I'm not sure if that could be true. Well, unless she's pretending and has some hidden agenda.

nevermind, I was referring to a part in this article:
Q: How did you get involved with Hocus Pocus 2? What can you tell me about your role?

Tony Hale: Adam Shankman is a buddy of mine and he kindly asked me to do it and I play the mayor. Actually, I play two characters. I play this evil reverent and then I play this mayor. It's great. Another surreal experience. That movie is a Halloween classic. It was really fun. I just finished.
Source: https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1468056665656229889

I misread reverent(I guess that's a typo and its supposed to be reverend?) as revenant(an evil spirit) and then just assumed that's what the bird flying to the sisters was... For some reason I blanked out the fact that it turns into a woman, lol. That's what I get for watching a trailer only once. :facepalm:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

New clip:
https://youtu.be/gLyamuqjXZ8

I have to say that I never cared about the original, so I have no interest in this one, but I will admit that the original had this sort of unique visual design and look, something that very much makes you feel that it is made in the spirit of Halloween, but everything I have seen so far from this sequel looks gray and boring, and of course cheap, but that's a given cause it's a Disney+ exclusive.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

unprincess wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:15 pm nevermind, I was referring to a part in this article:
Q: How did you get involved with Hocus Pocus 2? What can you tell me about your role?

Tony Hale: Adam Shankman is a buddy of mine and he kindly asked me to do it and I play the mayor. Actually, I play two characters. I play this evil reverent and then I play this mayor. It's great. Another surreal experience. That movie is a Halloween classic. It was really fun. I just finished.
Source: https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1468056665656229889

I misread reverent(I guess that's a typo and its supposed to be reverend?) as revenant(an evil spirit) and then just assumed that's what the bird flying to the sisters was... For some reason I blanked out the fact that it turns into a woman, lol. That's what I get for watching a trailer only once. :facepalm:
Oh, that's OK. I didn't remember the reverend was one of the two characters played by Tony Hale. It's interesting that one of them will be from the past. I wonder if they're doing the same thing they did in the Back to the Future films, for example, and the reverend will be an ancestor of the mayor who looks just like him. I guess both are the town's leader, since reverends had a lot more power back then and, according to the trailer, he's the one who banishes the three young witches from Salem. If that's the case, the witches will most likely want to take revenge on him personally, as well as on the city. The mayor is the father of one the teenage girls who bring the witches back, by the way.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for the clip, farerb! But I do agree, the original had a better visual look. Really felt well-crafted. The clip kinda made me cringe, but I thought the slap was really funny.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

An actress from this was on The Jennifer Hudson Show today, I can't recall her name (Winningham???). From the description, I thought it must be one of the child actors since I didn't know any other characters from the new one, but it was an older White woman, so... Apparently she's playing the role of the Witch who gave Winifred the spellbook in the flashbacks. The little clip they showed of her and the child versions of the witches, it wasn't so bad and had a little humor, too.

I definitely do hope they make a third one. None of them will be as good as the first, this won't, but getting more of Midler, Najimy, and Parker alone would be worth it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:17 pm An actress from this was on The Jennifer Hudson Show today, I can't recall her name (Winningham???). From the description, I thought it must be one of the child actors since I didn't know any other characters from the new one, but it was an older White woman, so... Apparently she's playing the role of the Witch who gave Winifred the spellbook in the flashbacks. The little clip they showed of her and the child versions of the witches, it wasn't so bad and had a little humor, too.
Thanks for the info! Here's the part of the interview where they talk about the film and here's the clip. I didn't know who that actress was either until quite recently. Apparently, she's known for starring in Ted Lasso and has won several awards for that show. What I didn't know until now that I've checked her Wikipedia page, is that before that she was mainly a musical theatre actress. She reveals in the interview that she's only in one scene, so she probably doesn't have much more screen time than what we can see in that clip. I suspect Disney cast her to attract the fans of her show, since I think it's quite popular. Disney has also released a still of her character:

Source: https://collider.com/hocus-pocus-2-imag ... sney-plus/
Disney's Divinity wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:17 pm I definitely do hope they make a third one. None of them will be as good as the first, this won't, but getting more of Midler, Najimy, and Parker alone would be worth it.
I see a lot of posts about the movie on social media, so it seems there's a lot of anticipation for it. I think it can be a big success for Disney+, and if it is, a third movie is definitely possible.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New promo, featurette and poster:

Source: https://twitter.com/HocusPocusMovie/sta ... 3284451329

Here are also a first look at the three drag queens from RuPaul's Drag Race who make a cameo in the movie and an article about the film's musical numbers.

Source: https://ew.com/movies/hocus-pocus-2-fir ... n-sisters/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That Waddingham clip is so funny! That poster is great! And drag queens? I forgot about them! Yay!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

First reactions:

'Hocus Pocus 2' Early Reactions Call It Magical, Hilarious, and On Par With Original
https://collider.com/hocus-pocus-2-reac ... s-it-good/

Also, apparently, there's a post-credit scene:
Be sure to stay through the credits! You do NOT want to miss that stinger!
Source: https://twitter.com/MamasGeeky/status/1 ... 5701022720
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Good early reactions? Yaaaay! Everything is yaaaay!
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

5 more days until I see this then Paramount's Smile later in the evening to close out the first day of September.