Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2022

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2022

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:48 pmIt's interesting that so many countries have selected an animated film as their entry this year. We'll see if any of them ends up being nominated. I actually hadn't heard about any of them before.
I'd be surprised if any of them manages to get nominated. Eternal Spring and Aurora's Sunrise have the highest chance, but even they aren't buzzy and popular enough to secure a slot like Flee was last year. Best case scenario, they make it to the shortlist.
D82 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:48 pmIt's curious it was disqualified when past films made with the same technique have been deemed eligible and have even been nominated, as estefan pointed out.
I agree that it seems like a double standard. The Academy should be consistent when it comes to the implementation of their rules. However, I don't consider rotoscoping and motion capture animation and I'm against them competing with key-frame animated films. Perhaps they can create a different category to accommodate those films.
D82 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:48 pmThat one, though, seemed like a strong contender. If it's finally disqualified as well, that'll increase the chances of other films. I haven't seen it yet, but judging by the trailer, it has a lot of live-action footage, so it would probably be fair it was deemed ineligible.
It's certainly beloved by critics and while they are influential, they aren't Academy voters. Even if it's deemed eligible, the fact that it's a hybrid, diminishes its chance of getting nominated. While nominations are now open to all members, it's usually just the animation branch's members who care enough to participate at the nomination stage. Members working at the big animation studios nominate their and their friends' mainstream CG films while foreign and independent filmmakers who are members go for the more hand-crafted stop-motion and hand-drawn animated films. While Marcel features stop-motion, fans of the medium are more likely to rally behind the fully-animated Pinocchio and Wendell & Wild rather than Marcel.
D82 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:48 pmI remember you mentioned this once, but why is the Best Picture category the only one that's not free? Is it to limit the number of entries?
Well, they can't limit the number of entries this way as the fee only applies to the digital screener. Films can still be submitted for consideration in this category for free. Of course, not having a screener available for voters is a major disadvantage. I think this is just a way for the Academy to get more money from big studios who are more willing to pay the fee to give their films the best chance possible than smaller studios. If they applied this fee to other categories which tend to skew more indie, they'd be accused of not supporting independent cinema.
D82 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:48 pmAlthough, perhaps being in the Best Picture category on the Academy Screening Room increases the films' chances of being watched by members and therefore get nominated in other categories? I heard Marry Me, for example, has odds in Best Song and I guess Universal hopes The Bad Guys could get a Best Animated Feature nomination.
It's a good strategy given the Best Picture category receives the most attention.
D82 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:48 pmBy the way, Wendell & Wild has gotten a full trailer, while Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio premiered at the London Film Festival and, as expected, its first reviews are very positive.
Pinocchio winning this year is pretty much a done deal. Here's my prediction for the nominees, ranked from most to least likely to win:

01. Pinocchio
02. Turning Red
03. Wendell & Wild
04. Strange World
5a. My Father's Dragon
5b. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
5c. Inu-Oh
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:59 am However, I don't consider rotoscoping and motion capture animation and I'm against them competing with key-frame animated films. Perhaps they can create a different category to accommodate those films.
I agree with you. As for creating a different category, do you mean an additional one or just making changes to the animation category, like renaming it to include more types of films?
Sotiris wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:59 am It's certainly beloved by critics and while they are influential, they aren't Academy voters. Even if it's deemed eligible, the fact that it's a hybrid, diminishes its chance of getting nominated. While nominations are now open to all members, it's usually just the animation branch's members who care enough to participate at the nomination stage. Members working at the big animation studios nominate their and their friends' mainstream CG films while foreign and independent filmmakers who are members go for the more hand-crafted stop-motion and hand-drawn animated films. While Marcel features stop-motion, fans of the medium are more likely to rally behind the fully-animated Pinocchio and Wendell & Wild rather than Marcel.
You're right being a hybrid diminishes its chances; I didn't take that into account. I don't think any hybrid film has been nominated yet. Maybe even if it was eligible, it wouldn't be nominated.
Sotiris wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:59 am Well, they can't limit the number of entries this way as the fee only applies to the digital screener. Films can still be submitted for consideration in this category for free. Of course, not having a screener available for voters is a major disadvantage. I think this is just a way for the Academy to get more money from big studios who are more willing to pay the fee to give their films the best chance possible than smaller studios. If they applied this fee to other categories which tend to skew more indie, they'd be accused of not supporting independent cinema.
Oh, it's true; you don't need to pay just for submitting a film. I guess you're right that's the reason for the fee.
Sotiris wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:59 am Pinocchio winning this year is pretty much a done deal. Here's my prediction for the nominees, ranked from most to least likely to win:

01. Pinocchio
02. Turning Red
03. Wendell & Wild
04. Strange World
5a. My Father's Dragon
5b. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
5c. Inu-Oh
I agree Pinocchio will most likely win. Apart from looking very artisanal and well-crafted visually and being from a well-respected director, the new take on the classic story sounds very much to the Academy's taste. Wendell & Wild looks like a strong contender too, but it seems to be very much a horror film and Academy members are not big fans of the genre in general, so that could be a disadvantage for the film.

I quite agree with your predicted nominees too. Turning Red is Disney's best shot right now and probably the second favorite. We'll see how Strange World and My Father's Dragon are received, but Cartoon Saloon has a good track record as far as nominations goes, and so does WDAS lately. If any of them ends up being a disappointment, another film I could also see having a shot apart from the ones you mentioned is The Sea Best, which got quite good reviews. I watched it and it was much better than I expected, though I'm still not a fan of the sea beasts' designs and I think it borrowed a bit too much from How to Train Your Dragon.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

I feel Turning Red will win Best Animated Feature because of the Oscars' anti-Netflix bias and because of Domee Shi winning Best Animated Short at the Oscars in 2019 for Pixar's Bao.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The first full trailer for Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio has been released. I think it looks really good.

By the way, in my last post I said that we would see how My Father's Dragon is received, but I later learned that, just like Pinocchio, it already premiered at the London Film Festival. Its first reviews are also quite positive.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Apollo 10 ½: A Space Age Childhood, Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, and Eternal Spring have been deemed eligible by the Academy to compete in the Best Animated Feature category.

‘Marcel the Shell With Shoes On’ Qualifies for Oscars’ Animated Feature Race
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235258749/

Why the ‘Marcel the Shell With Shoes On’ Director Had to Prove to the Academy His Film Is Actually Animated
https://www.thewrap.com/marcel-the-shel ... interview/

Richard Linklater on ‘Battle’ With Academy Over ‘Apollo 10 1/2': ‘If It’s Not Animated, What Is It?’
https://www.thewrap.com/richard-linklat ... interview/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The trailer for Netflix's Scrooge: A Christmas Carol has been released. Curiously, that's not the only adaptation of Dickens' classic story to come out this year, as Apple TV+ will release a live-action adaptation titled Spirited, which is also a musical and has songs by Pasek and Paul.

Sotiris wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:50 am Apollo 10 ½: A Space Age Childhood, Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, and Eternal Spring have been deemed eligible by the Academy to compete in the Best Animated Feature category.

‘Marcel the Shell With Shoes On’ Qualifies for Oscars’ Animated Feature Race
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235258749/
It's interesting that they've reconsidered their decision regarding Apollo 10 ½. I wonder if it's because Linklater complained about it publicly.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I watched My Father's Dragon and while I thought it was Cartoon Saloon's weakest film, I still thought it was endearing and beautifully crafted. I hope it gets nominated.

My ranking of their films thus far is:
1. Wolfwalkers
2. Song of the Sea
3. The Breadwinner
4. The Secret of Kells
5. My Father's Dragon

I really wish they were the ones to make GRRM's The Ice Dragon instead of Warner.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:19 pmApple TV+ will release a live-action adaptation titled Spirited, which is also a musical and has songs by Pasek and Paul.
It's not the only musical Pasek & Paul have out this year. They've also written songs for Lyle, Lyle Crocodile. However, I think their work on Spirited has more chance of getting recognized this award season.
D82 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:19 pmIt's interesting that they've reconsidered their decision regarding Apollo 10 ½. I wonder if it's because Linklater complained about it publicly.
That may have contributed, but I believe it was mostly due the detailed material the director submitted about the animation process. In any case, I'm glad the Academy reversed their decision. It's only fair, given that rotoscoped films have not only been deemed eligible in the recent past, but have even been nominated.
Farerb wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:06 amI watched My Father's Dragon and while I thought it was Cartoon Saloon's weakest film, I still thought it was endearing and beautifully crafted.
The critics have found it to be their weakest film too and that's why I fear it may not get nominated after all. Marcel on the other hand, has unanimous love and support by the film community and has even started getting awards. It recently won the Saturn Award over Encanto. That's why I'm changing my prediction to the following:

01. Pinocchio
02. Turning Red
03. Strange World
04. Wendell & Wild
05. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
06. My Father's Dragon
07. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
08. The Sea Beast
09. Lightyear
10. The Bad Guys
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:27 am It's not the only musical Pasek & Paul have out this year. They've also written songs for Lyle, Lyle Crocodile. However, I think their work on Spirited has more chance of getting recognized this award season.
It's true, and both are being released just a little over a month apart. I haven't seen Lyle, Lyle Crocodile or listened to its songs yet, but I agree Spirited looks more promising in that regard.
Sotiris wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:27 am That may have contributed, but I believe it was mostly due the detailed material the director submitted about the animation process. In any case, I'm glad the Academy reversed their decision. It's only fair, given that rotoscoped films have not only been deemed eligible in the recent past, but have even been nominated.
Maybe you're right it was mostly the material he submitted. And I agree it's fair they reversed their decision.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Academy Screening Room has been updated with more films. A total of eleven animated films are now included.
Here are the 100 films currently in the Academy Screening Room:

“Aftershock” (documentary)
“Aftersun”
“All Quiet on the Western Front” (international)
“All That Breathes” (documentary)
“All the Old Knives”
“Amsterdam”
“Argentina, 1985” (international)
“Armageddon Time”
“Athena”
“The Automat” (documentary)
“The Bad Guys” (animated)
“The Banshees of Inisherin”
“The Batman”
“Beba” (documentary)
“Bitterbrush” (documentary)
“Blonde”
“Breaking”
“Brian and Charles”
“Bros”
“Bruiser”
“Call Jane”
“Catherine Called Birdy”
“Cha Cha Real Smooth”
“Charlotte” (animated)
“Close” (international)
“The Corridors of Power” (documentary)
“Corsage” (international)
“DC League of Super Pets” (animated)
“Descendant” (documentary)
“Decision to Leave” (international)
“Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness”
“Dog”
“Don’t Worry Darling”
“Downton Abbey: A New Era”
“Elvis”
“Emergency”
“Emily”
“Emily the Criminal”
“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“The Exiles” (documentary)
“Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore”
“Fire of Love” (documentary)
“Freedom on Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom” (documentary)
“Gabby Giffords Won’t Back Down” (documentary)
“Good Luck to You, Leo Grande”
“Good Night Oppy” (documentary)
“The Good Nurse”
“The Greatest Beer Run Ever”
“Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song” (documentary)
“Holy Spider” (international)
“Hustle”
“Inu-Oh” (animated)
“The Inspection”
“Is That Black Enough for You?!?” (documentary)
“Jacir”
“The Janes” (documentary)
“A Jazzman’s Blues”
“Killing Me Softly With His Songs” (documentary)
“Lady Chatterly’s Lover”
“Last Flight Home” (documentary)
“Lightyear” (animated)
“Loren & Rose”
“Louis Armstrong’s Black & Blues” (documentary)
“A Love Song”
“Luck” (animated)
“Marcel the Shell With Shoes On” (animated)
“Marry Me”
“Master”
“Mr. Malcolm’s List”
“Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris”
“Montana Story”
“Moonage Daydream” (documentary)
“My Father’s Dragon” (animated)
“My Policeman”
“Navalny” (documentary)
“Nitram”
“Nope”
“The Northman”
“Nothing Compares” (documentary)
“Nothing Lasts Forever” (documentary)
“The Outfit”
“Pearl”
“The Quiet Girl” (international)
“Retrograde” (documentary)
“The Return of Tanya Tucker Featuring Brandi Carlile” (documentary)
“Return to Seoul” (international)
“Riotsville, U.S.A.” (documentary)
“The Sea Beast” (animated)
“Saint Omer” (international)
“Salvatore: Shoemaker of Dreams” (documentary)
“2nd Chance” (documentary)
“Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me” (documentary)
“Sidney” (documentary)
“Sirens” (documentary)
“The Son”
“Sr.” (documentary)
“Stutz” (documentary)
“Tár”
“Tell It Like a Woman”
“The Territory” (documentary)
“Three Minutes: A Lengthening” (documentary)
“Thirteen Lives”
“Thor: Love and Thunder”
“Three Thousand Years of Longing”
“Till”
“Top Gun: Maverick”
“Turn Every Page: The Adventures of Robert Caro and Robert Gottlieb” (documentary)
“Turning Red” (animated)
“The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent”
“Vengeance”
“The Voice of Dust and Ash” (documentary)
“Wake Up”
“We Are Art” (documentary)
“Wendell & Wild” (animated)
“Where the Crawdads Sing”
“The Woman King”
“The Wonder”
“X”
“You Won’t Be Alone”
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/academy-screeni ... ontenders/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Is there a chance that both Lightyear and Strange World won't be nominated this year?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

There's a pretty good chance given Strange World's lukewarm reception. Only who gets the fifth nomination remains undetermined. Pinocchio, Turning Red, Wendell & Wild, and Marcel the Shell are in. The only real contenders left are Puss in Boots 2 (depending on how it fares), The Sea Beast, The Bad Guys, and My Father's Dragon. I'm rooting for My Father's Dragon, but we'll see what happens. The animation branch is overrun by people working at the big studios, so they'll most likely support one of their own.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

With Puss in Boots 2 getting good reviews, the five potential nominees have been cemented.

01. Pinocchio
02. Turning Red
03. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
04. Wendell & Wild
05. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On

06. The Sea Beast
07. My Father's Dragon
08. The Bad Guys
09. Lightyear
10. Strange World
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

• African American Film Critics Association ranked Wendell & Wild #9 in their Top 10 Films of the year list.

• American Cinematheque named Pinocchio Best Score.

• Atlanta Film Critics Circle named Pinocchio Best Animated Film.

• Black Film Critics Circle named Pinocchio Best Animated Film.

• Boston Online Film Critics Association named Pinocchio Best Animated Film.

• Boston Society of Film Critics named Turning Red Best Animated Film.

• British Film Institute ranked Apollo 10½: A Space Age Childhood #42 and Pinocchio #27 in their 50 Best Films of the year list.

• Capri, Hollywood Film Festival named Pinocchio Best Animated Feature.

• Critics Association of Central Florida named Pinocchio Best Animated Film and Marcel the Shell with Shoes On the runner-up.

• Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association named Pinocchio Best Animated Film and Marcel the Shell with Shoes On the runner-up.

• Iowa Film Critics Association named Marcel the Shell with Shoes On Best Animated Film and Pinocchio and Turning Red the runners-up.

• Letterboxd named Marcel the Shell with Shoes On Highest-Rated Animation.

• Los Angeles Film Critics Association named Pinocchio Best Animation and Marcel the Shell with Shoes On the runner-up.

• National Board of Review named Marcel the Shell with Shoes On Best Animated Feature.

• Nevada Film Critics Society named Pinocchio Best Animated Movie.

• New York Film Critics Circle named Marcel the Shell with Shoes On Best Animated Feature.

• New York Film Critics Online named Marcel the Shell with Shoes On Best Animated Feature.

• Oklahoma Film Critics Circle named Pinocchio Best Animated Film and Marcel the Shell with Shoes On the runner-up.

• Philadelphia Film Critics Circle named Pinocchio Best Animated Film and Turning Red the runner-up.

• Phoenix Film Critics Society named Marcel the Shell with Shoes On Best Animated Film.

• Southeastern Film Critics Association named Pinocchio Best Animated Film and Marcel the Shell with Shoes On the runner-up.

• Toronto Film Critics Association named Turning Red Best Animated Feature.

• Utah Film Critics Association named Pinocchio Best Animated Feature and Marcel the Shell with Shoes On the runner-up.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

“I Care the Most About the Kid Audience”: Filmmakers Behind ‘Strange World,’ ‘Turning Red,’ ‘My Father’s Dragon’ and the THR Animation Roundtable
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235270685/

‘Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio,‘ ’Turning Red’ Among Top Contenders in the Animated Features Race
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235257752/

Animated Short Contenders Focus on Friends, Family and Community
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235270742/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:54 pm With Puss in Boots 2 getting good reviews, the five potential nominees have been cemented.
I'm surprised it's getting good reviews. The trailers made it look a bit cheap, but I guess the story must be good. Visually, it looks horrible to me, though. I saw a trailer for this I hadn't seen before when I saw Strange World and it seemed to me the protagonist was the only character who was fully CG, while all the others had a 2D look. Why did they decide to do that? It doesn't make any sense.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:55 pmI'm surprised it's getting good reviews. The trailers made it look a bit cheap, but I guess the story must be good. Visually, it looks horrible to me, though. I saw a trailer for this I hadn't seen before when I saw Strange World and it seemed to me the protagonist was the only character who was fully CG, while all the others had a 2D look. Why did they decide to do that? It doesn't make any sense.
It's getting good reviews because apparently it's dealing with more mature-than-usual themes for a DreamWorks film like coming to terms with one's mortality, the search for meaning, and making the most out of life. I'm in agreement about the visual style. The non-photorealistic rendering for the characters and the effects looks distracting instead of complimentary. They were clearly trying to emulate the look of Spider-Verse, but it's not working here, in my opinion. The change in style is especially bothersome given this is an entry in a long-running franchise with an established look. It ruins the visual seamlessness across installments and makes this one stick out like a sore thumb.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:59 am It's getting good reviews because apparently it's dealing with more mature-than-usual themes for a DreamWorks film like coming to terms with one's mortality, the search for meaning, and making the most out of life.
Oh, I see.
Sotiris wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:59 am The change in style is especially bothersome given this is an entry in a long-running franchise with an established look. It ruins the visual seamlessness across installments and makes this one stick out like a sore thumb.
I agree. I'm not a fan of changing the visual style mid-franchise either.

By the way, after last year's backlash the Academy has announced all the categories will be presented live next year.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Only 27 animated feature films have been submitted for consideration to AMPAS this year, one more than last year. A number of eligible films which received a qualifying run were not submitted by their respective studios. Crunchyroll did not submit Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero, Jujutsu Kaisen 0, and One Piece Film: Red; GKIDS did not submit The Deer King; Eleven Arts did not submit The House of the Lost on the Cape; Netflix did not submit Scrooge: A Christmas Carol. Moreover, Sony/Amazon did not render Hotel Transylvania: Transformania eligible, making it the first entry in the film series not competing at the Oscars. The animation/live-action hybrids Lyle, Lyle Crocodile and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 were not submitted either.

Here are the submitted entries:

01. Apollo 10½: A Space Age Childhood
02. The Bad Guys
03. The Bob’s Burgers Movie
04. Charlotte
05. Drifting Home
06. Eternal Spring
07. Goodbye, Don Glees!
08. Inu-Oh
09. Lamya’s Poem
10. League of Super-Pets
11. Lightyear
12. Little Nicholas: Happy as Can Be
13. Luck
14. Mad God
15. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
16. Minions: The Rise of Gru
17. My Father’s Dragon
18. New Gods: Yang Jian
19. Oink
20. Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank
21. Pinocchio
22. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
23. Run, Tiger, Run!
24. The Sea Beast
25. Strange World
26. Turning Red
27. Wendell & Wild

Here's a breakdown of the submitted films by animation medium. In the case of hybrids, I've listed them based on the predominant medium used.

Computer Animation

The Bad Guys
Eternal Spring
League of Super-Pets
Lightyear
Luck
Minions: The Rise of Gru
New Gods: Yang Jian
Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
Run, Tiger, Run!
The Sea Beast
Strange World
Turning Red

Hand-Drawn Animation

Apollo 10½: A Space Age Childhood
The Bob’s Burgers Movie
Charlotte
Drifting Home
Goodbye, Don Glees!
Inu-Oh
Lamya’s Poem
Little Nicholas: Happy as Can Be
My Father’s Dragon

Stop-Motion Animation

Mad God
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
Oink
Pinocchio
Wendell & Wild

Here's a breakdown of the submitted films by country. In the case of co-productions, I've listed them under their primary producing country.

USA

Apollo 10½: A Space Age Childhood
The Bad Guys
The Bob’s Burgers Movie
League of Super-Pets
Lightyear
Luck
Mad God
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
Minions: The Rise of Gru
Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank
Pinocchio
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
The Sea Beast
Strange World
Turning Red
Wendell & Wild

Canada

Charlotte
Eternal Spring
Lamya’s Poem

Ireland

My Father’s Dragon

France

Little Nicholas: Happy as Can Be

Netherlands

Oink

China

New Gods: Yang Jian
Run, Tiger, Run!

Japan

Drifting Home
Goodbye, Don Glees!
Inu-Oh
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:47 pm A number of eligible films which received a qualifying run were not submitted by their respective studios. Crunchyroll did not submit Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero, Jujutsu Kaisen 0, and One Piece Film: Red; GKIDS did not submit The Deer King; Eleven Arts did not submit The House of the Lost on the Cape; Netflix did not submit Scrooge: A Christmas Carol. Moreover, Sony/Amazon did not render Hotel Transylvania: Transformania eligible, making it the first entry in the film series not competing at the Oscars. The animation/live-action hybrids Lyle, Lyle Crocodile and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 were not submitted either.
I'm surprised The Deer King, Scrooge: A Christmas Carol and Hotel Transylvania: Transformania weren't submitted. Didn't Netflix even give Scrooge: A Christmas Carol a qualifying run in theaters?

Thanks for the breakdown. It's interesting that there are still many hand-drawn and stop-motion films. If we combine both categories, they even surpass the CG ones. There's a considerable number of international films as well.