Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2022

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2022

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:42 pmI'm surprised The Deer King, Scrooge: A Christmas Carol and Hotel Transylvania: Transformania weren't submitted. Didn't Netflix even give Scrooge: A Christmas Carol a qualifying run in theaters?
All of the movies I mentioned besides Hotel Transylvania 4 got an Oscar-qualifying run in theaters which is why them not being submitted is so strange. Usually, when studios are not planning to submit a movie to the Oscars, they might still give it a very limited theatrical run for promotional purposes, but don't bother making it a qualifying run. For it to be an Oscar-qualifying run, a movie must be screened three times daily, with one screening taking place between 6:00-10.00 pm, for seven consecutive days in a commercial theater located in one of the six-qualifying metro areas in the U.S. either on the day of its non-theatrical release or before. Those are a lot of hoops to jump through if you're not planning to submit a movie to the Oscars.
D82 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:42 pmIt's interesting that there are still many hand-drawn and stop-motion films. If we combine both categories, they even surpass the CG ones.
Well, a lot of the 2D films are primarily computer 2D (vector- or rig-based), so it's not exactly like traditional 2D is flourishing. Most of the indie films don't have the resources to go with real 2D animation. Traditional animation has become a small, specialized field and very few studios that provide animation services offer it. I would say that stop-motion is doing much better as a medium and gets more appreciation nowadays than traditional 2D.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

How Disney Animation Lost the Box Office Crown to Universal for 3 Straight Years – With No Turnaround in Sight
https://www.thewrap.com/disney-animatio ... universal/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

And they will continue to do so. Puss in Boots 2 will undoubtedly outperform Strange World while The Super Mario Bros. Movie and Trolls 3 next year will most likely outperform Wish and Elemental.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Sotiris wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:56 am And they will continue to do so. Puss in Boots 2 will undoubtedly outperform Strange World while The Super Mario Bros. Movie and Trolls 3 next year will most likely outperform Wish and Elemental.
Mmm, I don't know. If Disney markets Wish hard as their big 100th Anniversary event to make it a must-see at the movies like they did for Frozen, it may outperform both Trolls 3 and Mario.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:34 am Well, a lot of the 2D films are primarily computer 2D (vector- or rig-based), so it's not exactly like traditional 2D is flourishing. Most of the indie films don't have the resources to go with real 2D animation. Traditional animation has become a small, specialized field and very few studios that provide animation services offer it. I would say that stop-motion is doing much better as a medium and gets more appreciation nowadays than traditional 2D.
Yeah, I know not all the 2D films are in real traditional animation. You're probably right stop-motion gets more appreciation than 2D nowadays, at least from the big studios.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Twenty animated films are being considered for Best Animated Feature at the Golden Globes this year. I wish they would release the list of contenders.
On the film side, the most recent tally for best motion picture saw 170 for drama, 83 for musical or comedy, 20 in animated and 115 in the running for non-English language. Add it up, and that’s 388 films.
Source: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/golden ... 235453627/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:27 pm Mmm, I don't know. If Disney markets Wish hard as their big 100th Anniversary event to make it a must-see at the movies like they did for Frozen, it may outperform both Trolls 3 and Mario.
I think that's definitely within the realm of possible, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:38 am Twenty animated films are being considered for Best Animated Feature at the Golden Globes this year. I wish they would release the list of contenders.
That's seven less films than the Academy. Yes, it would be interesting to know which movies are on their list.

By the way, I've just watched Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio. It's not as big a reinvention of the tale as it seemed from the articles; it's actually more faithful to the book than I expected and also borrows a lot from Disney's version. I don't think it's a masterpiece either, but it was still quite good. Though Marcel the Shell with Shoes On is winning more critics' awards, I think Pinocchio will most likely win the Oscar. I finally watched the former recently and it's quite good too, but it feels a bit more "indie" and intellectual. It's not the type of film that tends to win at the Oscars, though I know believe it'll definitely be nominated.
Farerb wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:06 am I watched My Father's Dragon and while I thought it was Cartoon Saloon's weakest film, I still thought it was endearing and beautifully crafted. I hope it gets nominated.

My ranking of their films thus far is:
1. Wolfwalkers
2. Song of the Sea
3. The Breadwinner
4. The Secret of Kells
5. My Father's Dragon
I finally watched that film as well. I agree it's Cartoon Saloon's weakest film. To be honest, I didn't like it much, but I agree it was still endearing and well crafted and I liked the main message. Now I'm not sure it'll get nominated, especially after learning Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is getting such good reviews. I also found Wendell & Wild a bit underwhelming. It was imaginative and entertaining, and the animation was of course good, but the story wasn't anything new. I'm not sure it's a lock either.
Sotiris wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:54 pm With Puss in Boots 2 getting good reviews, the five potential nominees have been cemented.

01. Pinocchio
02. Turning Red
03. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
04. Wendell & Wild
05. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On

06. The Sea Beast
07. My Father's Dragon
08. The Bad Guys
09. Lightyear
10. Strange World
I agree those will most likely be the five nominees.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

^ I thought Del Toro's Pinocchio was beautifully crafted and I'm saying this as someone who's not a fan of stop motion. I had issues with the story and the characters though, including Pinocchio himself, so I didn't think the movie was perfect, but I thought it was at least miles better than the dreadful Disney remake. It's quite embarrassing for both Disney and Zemeckis that both films came out at the same year, so close to each other.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

While Pinocchio is the more high-profile, auteur film with pedigree, I can see Marcel pulling a CODA and winning instead. It has all the elements that made CODA a critical darling last year. While critics may admire Pinocchio and appreciate its message and its craft, they've been having a more emotional connection to Marcel. I think they might just end up picking Marcel for that reason. People tend to vote with their heart and not their head.

As for Wendell & Wild, its been losing steam in the awards conversation and given its less-than-stellar reception it may end up not getting nominated after all. I just hope a 2D film can make it in this year, though it seems unlikely. My Father's Dragon, Little Nicholas, and Inu-Oh have the best chance out of the 2D candidates.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

D82 wrote:By the way, I've just watched Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio. It's not as big a reinvention of the tale as it seemed from the articles; it's actually more faithful to the book than I expected and also borrows a lot from Disney's version. I don't think it's a masterpiece either, but it was still quite good.
Farerb wrote:I thought Del Toro's Pinocchio was beautifully crafted and I'm saying this as someone who's not a fan of stop motion. I had issues with the story and the characters though, including Pinocchio himself, so I didn't think the movie was perfect, but I thought it was at least miles better than the dreadful Disney remake.
I just watched Pinocchio last night. My husband thought it was way better than Disney's 1940 film ( :roll: ). (He loved the world of the dead, with the bunnies and the Wood Sprite's sister, the death lady (I don't know what she's called).
He and our friend wanted more creepy Pinocchio like when Gepetto discovered him in the attic and he did the 'spider walk')
. I liked the look of it. Pinocchio himself was so annoying for a while, IMO. It definitely has its own unique take on the story (with Candlewick and his dad and Mussolini), but as D82 said, parts of the story are more traditional. I think it's unique enough, in story elements and look, to stand on its own, and I cried a bit at the end, it was pretty well told. I really liked Spazzatura the monkey as well. I much prefer the 1940s film. I didn't like the music in Del Toro's film (the "Papa" song was ok). Disney's Pinocchio character is much more likable, the Disney music is so good, even the colors in Disney's- I mean, Disney's is just such a masterpiece...a few times last night I was just thinking how much I just want to watch Disney's version. I can say that I think Del Toro's gets better as the film goes on.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... ?_amp=true
Inspired by Gris Grimly’s illustrations for a 2002 edition of Collodi’s “Pinocchio,”(https://grisgrimly.com/paintings/pinocchio-2/) Del Toro knew that animation, and specifically stop-motion, was the only possibility for his version of the tale.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:27 am I just watched Pinocchio last night. My husband thought it was way better than Disney's 1940 film ( :roll: ). (He loved the world of the dead, with the bunnies and the Wood Sprite's sister, the death lady (I don't know what she's called). I liked the look of it. Pinocchio himself was so annoying for a while, IMO. It definitely has its own unique take on the story (with Candlewick and his dad and Mussolini), but as D82 said, parts of the story are more traditional. I think it's unique enough, in story elements and look, to stand on its own, and I cried a bit at the end, it was pretty well told. I really liked Spazzatura the monkey as well.
I agree that the film was unique and stands on its own, and I appreciate it for this.

The things I didn't care for:
I thought there was something a bit sadistic making the audience anticipate a child's death. I personally thought that the fascism angle didn't add much to the story, too much Nazi salutes for my tastes, and there wasn't much commentary about it, it's just there.
I agree that Pinocchio was a bit annoying, but the thing that bothered me the most was that (once again) we have Pinocchio lying to get out of a situation and to me that really misses the point of the whole nose growing when Pinocchio lies. It shouldn't be portrayed as an advantage, it should be a punishment. Just as the Blue Fairy says in the 1940 movie:
[quote]A lie keeps growing and growing until it’s as plain as the nose on your face.[/quote]

I also didn't care for the songs, most of them were forgettable.

I still think the film is good enough despite what I have said, though I'm not sure if I prefer it to Turning Red as my favorite 2022 animated film. I want to watch it again at some point.
The 1940 film is still my favorite Pinocchio movie and it probably will never change because that's the Pinocchio I grew up with.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

To me, Pinocchio is a little bit annoying in all versions of the story (film and otherwise). :lol: I haven't seen the Del Toro film yet, but I'm confident it'll be a strong film even if I leave without much personal attachment to it. Del Toro is great in general, I've been a fan of him since Pan's Labyrinth, but I never expected his film to surpass the Disney animated film, considering I'm a Disney fan as it is and that has always been in my top 5-6 Disney films forever.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Golden Globes

Best Motion Picture – Animated:
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
Marcel the Shell With Shoes On
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
Turning Red
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Farerb wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:52 am Golden Globes

Turning Red
Thinking Pinocchio wins at the Globes but Turning Red wins at the Oscars.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:52 am Golden Globes

Turning Red
Inu-Oh was also nominated, but when I first checked the nominations (I think it was on The Hollywood Reporter) I also saw just those four. They were still updating the list of nominees, so it looks like they forgot to add the fifth nominee at first.

I'm a bit surprised by Inu-Oh's nomination. The Golden Globes usually tend to go more mainstream, though last year they also had an unusual pick among the nominees, My Sunny Maad, so maybe that's changing now that they have more members.

Pinocchio got three nominations in total, as it was also nominated for best score and best song.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:49 amI'm a bit surprised by Inu-Oh's nomination. The Golden Globes usually tend to go more mainstream, though last year they also had an unusual pick among the nominees, My Sunny Maad, so maybe that's changing now that they have more members.
I was also surprised by Inu-Oh's nomination. I'm glad there's at least one 2D film in there to represent the medium.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Oscar shortlist for the VFX category has been released.

‘Top Gun: Maverick,’ ‘Avatar 2’ and ‘Elvis’ Among 20 Visual Effects Finalists Heading Into Oscars Shortlist Voting
https://variety.com/2022/artisans/award ... 235454949/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:42 am I was also surprised by Inu-Oh's nomination. I'm glad there's at least one 2D film in there to represent the medium.
Yes, it's great there's at least one 2D film among the nominees.
Sotiris wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:26 pm The Oscar shortlist for the VFX category has been released.

‘Top Gun: Maverick,’ ‘Avatar 2’ and ‘Elvis’ Among 20 Visual Effects Finalists Heading Into Oscars Shortlist Voting
https://variety.com/2022/artisans/award ... 235454949/
I'm surprised they managed to obtain that info. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember the trades revealing shortlists before the academy does it officially.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

These are the Critics' Choice nominees for Best Animated Feature. The only difference with the Golden Globes is that Wendell & Wild is included here instead of Inu-Oh.
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
Turning Red
Wendell & Wild
Source: https://www.criticschoice.com/2022/12/1 ... a-handler/