Disney to build 'Avatar' Attraction in Theme Parks

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Is there any more news on the possible cancellation / going ahead ?

As we now have Disney / Pixar / Marvel / Star Wars there surely isnt any more room for a Cameron franchise ?

Really hope this whole thing is scrapped.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

I completely agree with you. Sadly, Avatarland is still hanging on to life. The Orlando Sentinel posted an article in December that Avatarland is "still on track" and that Disney still has faith in it. :(
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... tom-staggs
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Eugh NOOOOOO !
Why not focus on DISNEY being that they are the WALT DISNEY COMPANY! This literally infuriates me; focus on their own intersts and not that of other directors.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Why does no one else besides me and atlanticaunderthesea want to discuss Disney theme parks? The world is quiet here. :(
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, honestly, I'm not too happy about the idea of Festival of the Lion King being moved to another area of Animal Kingdom to make room for ten foot tall cat-like Smurfs either.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Linden wrote:Why does no one else besides me and atlanticaunderthesea want to discuss Disney theme parks? The world is quiet here. :(
I know, right ?!

Even the opening of new Fantasyland didn't cause much of a stir ... :(
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

DisneyJedi wrote:Well, honestly, I'm not too happy about the idea of Festival of the Lion King being moved to another area of Animal Kingdom to make room for ten foot tall cat-like Smurfs either.
:lol: :lol:

I have never heard Avatar explained quite so well !
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

DisneyJedi wrote:Well, honestly, I'm not too happy about the idea of Festival of the Lion King being moved to another area of Animal Kingdom to make room for ten foot tall cat-like Smurfs either.
Way to say it! :lol: Same here, but I do think FOLK will fit in better in Africa, if they can manage to move it there. I don't really get why it was in Camp Minnie-Mickey to begin with. It doesn't go with the whole Adirondack theming.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

What could be pitched to Disney to put in its place ? From DISNEY properties, as it is a DISNEY park, surprise surprise.... :roll:
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Disney has been saying that the project is still on track for a while, but nothing 100% solid. Like I said before, if Disney is truly committed to this, D23 is the place to learn more about it. If the expo happens and NOTHING is shown, then you have to wonder if something is afoot. Once again, with New Fantasyland, we had tons of info, pictures, models and news about it since it was announced in 2009. Avatarland has very little. The changes going on were apparently planned long before Avatarland was announced, like how Festival of the Lion King had issues with seating and needed better space (plus considering Lion King is an African story it makes sense for it to be on Africa), and Beastly Bazaar will be a NextGen meet and greet area that was supposedly plan for the longest time since the story didn't generate revenue at all.

Maybe I am being cautiously optimistic, but considering that this is a major project that they spent millions on, it is odd that Disney has said nothing about it.
ImageImageImageImage

Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Yeah, it's still up in the air, although it seems like Disney is holding out hope for this one. I'm guessing Disney and Cameron have different ideas, and hopefully Disney is getting cold feet because Avatar's starting to fade from public memory. James Cameron's taking his sweet time getting his two sequels out (Avatar 2 is tentatively scheduled to come out 2015, and that might be pushing it). It's possible Disney will wait to see if Avatar 2 is popular, but the longer they take, the more unlikely it looks that they'll go through with this.

Animal Kingdom is a different animal (pardon the pun) than other Disney parks, one in which Disney properties aren't as front and center as others. If Avatarland doesn't pan out (and I certainly hope it doesn't), I'd like to see another continent added, preferably one that isn't in Epcot either. Australia or Antarctica/Arctic regions would be awesome. I'd be okay with Beastly Kingdom too, but only as long as it upholds the tenants (conservation, education, exploration, etc.) of Animal Kingdom. And eventually, a revamping of Dinoland USA, specifically of Chester & Hester's. That section's a real eyesore and pretty pointless, too.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Re: Disney to build 'Avatar' Attraction in Theme Parks

Post by DisneyJedi »

... It's still happening, all right. :glare:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e05wX0NOidE[/youtube]
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I love how there was no response to his talking about it, even when the logo appeared on screen. On all the other videos of D23 people have been whooping and getting excited even when the first image appears....not so much here. At all.
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Just ... Bad news. All around. Do people actually like the movie anyway? Like, for real? (Sorry -- I don't mean to offend anyone. I just didn't get it.)
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

pinkrenata wrote:Just ... Bad news. All around. Do people actually like the movie anyway? Like, for real? (Sorry -- I don't mean to offend anyone. I just didn't get it.)
Well, I just think it's.... Okay, per say.

I thought I liked it, but the more time I thought about it, the more I realized that it was just a Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas knockoff.

Disney, why not just do Beastly Kingdom instead? It'd make more sense.
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

DisneyJedi wrote:
pinkrenata wrote:Just ... Bad news. All around. Do people actually like the movie anyway? Like, for real? (Sorry -- I don't mean to offend anyone. I just didn't get it.)
Well, I just think it's.... Okay, per say.
My point exactly! :-)

But, anyway, Beastly Kingdom would be great for the fans, but doesn't have the franchise power of something like Avatar. Lame, lame, lame.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Why don't Disney just develop the properties they already have, instead of insisting on owning every film franchise going ? They have enough material of their own.

What exactly was Beastly Kingdom ? These was on the wiki page: A "myths and legends"-themed land planned for Disney's Animal Kingdom. It was replaced by Camp Minnie-Mickey due to budget cuts. Much of the land designated for use by Beastly Kingdom will now be used for the forthcoming Avatar Land.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:What exactly was Beastly Kingdom ?
Beastly Kingdom was a planned land that centered around fictional or mythical animals . . . dragons, unicorns and the like.

There were hints of it even at opening day. In the original animal kingdom logo, there was a line of animals, one of which was a dragon. I'm sorry, I don't know how to embed and image, but this URL will show you what I am talking about.

http://www.chipandco.com/a-day-in-the-l ... dom-52299/

Also, when the park opened, there was a boat ride around Discovery Island and there were little nods to dragons and the like along the way such as this one:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GGAg16fJ8nA/T ... statue.jpg
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Wow !

Ok, now THAT is cool...why on earth have they dropped that for Avatar ? Such a shame :( I know 'myths and beasts aren't strictly Disney, but they have dealt with mythical creatures etc in their films, and it fits in with the fairy tale/fantasy world Disney inhabits.

I think they should take note of how the Avatar presentation was received at D23 ...
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HarryCanyon »

I'd rather have it in Universal as Universal Orlando and Disneyworld can switch Avatar for Marvel since Marvel is owned by Disney now and have Avatar at Universal's Island of Adventures.