Disney to build 'Avatar' Attraction in Theme Parks

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Re: Disney to build 'Avatar' Attraction in Theme Parks

Post by Avaitor »

Well, what does Disney have to compete with Universal, besides going to Marvel and Star Wars? They've been trying with the Fantasyland expansion, and if that isn't working, I'm not sure what else could from Disney or Pixar's libraries.

Possibly importing Toy Story Land? But I'd think that Disney would want to keep those out of the US to make the other parks seem unique. plus Disneyland and WDW already have Toy Story Mania.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

But going to Marvel and Star Wars makes much better sense than utilising a property they don't own. Both brands have stood the test of time and have countless fans. Avatar had a lot of fans when it first came out, but it had I'd say an equal amount of haters. That number's probably gone up since then. If Disney really wants to compete with Harry Potter land, tear out the back portion of Hollywood Studios (where the car stunt show, streets of USA, etc. are) and turn it into a land featuring one of those two properties. It'd fit great, and (at least in my opinion) be a vast improvement over what's already there. Star Wars and Marvel will always have fans, and both are currently expanding franchises, so there'd be endless possibilities.

As for Animal Kingdom, why not make a land that actually has animals? I can't think of any ideas for an in-theme land that would not involve live animals and make people want to stay at night, like Disney wants. Not that any of this matters anymore. I'm just thinking out loud...
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Hmm, true. I wonder if there's a way to expand upon the area at Hollywood with Star Tours and the Indiana Jones stunt show, and turn that into a Skywalker Ranch area. They already utilize that section with Star Wars-related things, like meet and greets and the Jedi show, so that should work. They could add more elaborate a Jedi Academy, another Star Wars ride, and possibly replicate the Indiana Jones ride from Disneyland.

Personally, I feel that Disney has become too reliant on making rides or sections from their films. I can't remember the last time they put in a new ride that isn't related to a film (I think since Animal Kingdom debuted?), but I would take more Disney/Pixar related additions, as well as Marvel and Star Wars, over something that doesn't relate to Disney at all, ala Avatar.

Oh, and you mentioned how WDW still has the Swiss Family Treehouse, unlike Disneyland. Another example that comes to mind is that Tom Sawyer Island turned to Pirate's Lair at Disneyland, which is mostly related to the Pirates movies, while it's still Tom Sawyer Island at Magic Kingdom. :)
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

Linden wrote:
Nala wrote:The Swiss Family Robinson Tree House is still the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House at Walt Disney World. It was changed in Disneyland,.
Yep. :) I'm sure there have been re-purposed attractions in WDW too. I'm just not as familiar with its history as I am with Disneyland's.
Been to WDW more often than Disneyland. Going again in September. For some reason we like WDW better as there seems to be more room to walk than Disneyland.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Avaitor wrote:Oh, and you mentioned how WDW still has the Swiss Family Treehouse, unlike Disneyland. Another example that comes to mind is that Tom Sawyer Island turned to Pirate's Lair at Disneyland, which is mostly related to the Pirates movies, while it's still Tom Sawyer Island at Magic Kingdom. :)
Oh true! I forgot about that one. It is still called Tom Sawyer Island at Disneyland (for some reason, it's referred to as Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, so maybe it's still considered a temporary change?), but there's not much Tom Sawyer stuff going on over there anymore.

I like your idea of a Skywalker Ranch area. I was thinking the theming would be too all over the place with both Star Wars and Indiana Jones, but it's at Hollywood Studios, the park about film making. If that would work anywhere, it'd be there.
Nala wrote:Been to WDW more often than Disneyland. Going again in September. For some reason we like WDW better as there seems to be more room to walk than Disneyland.
Ooh, that's a whole 'nother discussion. Have we ever had a Disneyland vs. WDW thread? I think if we did it was years ago, and a fresh one could be nice. I might go make one. That'd be fun. :D
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Well I'm less than 2 hours away from WDW, and if all goes well, I'll be living in Orlando soon, so it's obvious which one I'm more familiar with. :wink:

Another idea is to remove Liberty Square in Magic Kingdom, move the Haunted Mansion and maybe the Hall of Presidents as well to Frontierland, and work on a mini New York there for Marvel. There can be a replica Stark tower, a rainbow bridge that takes you to a Thor ride, complete with a costumed Heimdall, and, in a dream world, Universal's Spider-Man ride ported over. :P Just some ideas I came up with.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

^There might be some backlash if that one happened. :wink: I know I'd be first in line to protest a Marvel land in Magic Kingdom.

Moving to Orlando?! Exciting! I'm in the process of moving to Anaheim area right now! :D I'm more familiar with DLR, because I've lived very close to it all my life. But, I did do my college program at WDW, so 6 months wandering around makes you pretty familiar with the parks. I'm just not very familiar with their history.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Wait, so you're fine with a Star Wars land, but not Marvel? Or are you against both?
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

I'm not against either, I'm just more touchy about where they are. I'd love to see a Marvel area in Hollywood Studios for example, but put the same thing in Magic Kingdom, and I'm not a happy camper. Park integrity is very important to me. Does that make better sense?
JEANYLASER
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JEANYLASER »

I love Avatar and I can't wait for 2017! This is awesome!
JEANY SANCHEZ
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Linden wrote:I'm not against either, I'm just more touchy about where they are. I'd love to see a Marvel area in Hollywood Studios for example, but put the same thing in Magic Kingdom, and I'm not a happy camper. Park integrity is very important to me. Does that make better sense?
Oh, true. I just had the idea for Magic Kingdom since it has one old-school American-based park around it that can probably be replaced and expanded upon if needed for another, like a 60's-era meets movie era Marvel New York, but it could work at Hollywood, too.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

I'd love to see a new park - a geekland of sorts - comprised of lands for Star Wars, Marvel, Indiana Jones and whatever franchise they buy next (I think it's a given they will) or maybe Wreck It Ralph?

I agree about Avatar . . . It just doesn't seem to have the same appeal as Harry Potter. In my mind, sinking a bunch of money into this isn't going to reap the payout they want. I mean are there that many people who love Avatar that much that they will travel from all over the country/world just to see this?
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

^Excactly. Harry Potter has a fanatical following (and I mean that in the best way). For a lot of fans, HP is their childhood, part of their life. Avatar doesn't have that kind of loyalty. Star Wars, Marvel, or Lord of the Rings would be possible rivals, I'd think.

I already posted this in the WDW thread, but since it pertains to Avatar Land, I'll put it here too. Festival of the Lion King is being moved to Africa to make space for Avatar Land. Link, Another one with more information, as well as horrific pictures of groundbreaking with giant blue shovels and a life-size Jake Sully. :headshake: It also talks about nighttime Kilimanjaro Safaris a little.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Linden wrote:^Excactly. Harry Potter has a fanatical following (and I mean that in the best way). For a lot of fans, HP is their childhood, part of their life. Avatar doesn't have that kind of loyalty. Star Wars, Marvel, or Lord of the Rings would be possible rivals, I'd think.
Couldn't agree more !
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

PHOTOS - Aerial views of the AVATAR land construction at Disney's Animal Kingdom
http://m.wdwmagic.com/attractions/avata ... ingdom.htm
blackcauldron85

Avatar ride coming to life at Disney's Animal Kingdom
http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/avatar ... 201376587/
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85

Miss Manday
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Miss Manday »

I really think this area is going to flop... and it makes me sad that Disney is pouring out so much into it. It will be 'big' for a bit, while people explore the new stuff... but then it's just going to be 'so what'. The movie is old now, and doesn't have a huge following. And I don't think the supposed sequels are really going to make it any better. I think Disney should have added more Disney properties to Animal Kingdom. Put Tarzan Rocks back in in a new location. Or do SOMETHING with some of the animal films. Tarzan, Bambi, more Lion King, Brother Bear, The Jungle Book. So many options... and we're going with something that isn't Disney. :(
admin of Mouse Ears // find me on Moviepilot!
Image Image Image
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I still want to see Beastly Kingdom come to life, myself.