Disney to build 'Avatar' Attraction in Theme Parks

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Re: Disney to build 'Avatar' Attraction in Theme Parks

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I just don't see the fascination Disney has currently with promoting all of the non-Disney shit.

They're losing their identity, for Christ's Sake. It's DISNEY, people want to see the characters from the films in the parks, they wanna weet Mickey and Woody and Arel, not a blue alien cat or the Hulk or whatever.

A few more years down the line, and many beloved Disney characters will disappear in favor for Marvel Superheroes or blue cats to waltz around Main Street USA. Sad, really.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I just don't see the fascination Disney has currently with promoting all of the non-Disney shit.

They're losing their identity, for Christ's Sake. It's DISNEY, people want to see the characters from the films in the parks, they wanna weet Mickey and Woody and Arel, not a blue alien cat or the Hulk or whatever.

A few more years down the line, and many beloved Disney characters will disappear in favor for Marvel Superheroes or blue cats to waltz around Main Street USA. Sad, really.

This This This This This

:up:
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

I was skeptical but the concept art looks amazing :)

Quite frankly, if they make a land as beautiful and innovative as that, I won't care what movie was the inspiration and neither will most people. The lush environments fit with Animal Kingdom and are kind of similar to the Beastly Kingdom they had planned with unicorns and dragons and the like.

It's not like the rides will follow the plot of the movies anyway. And there are a lot of things at Disney World that have nothing to do with Disney movies. Most of the original rides especially are original concepts.
LADY Image CLUCK
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I wonder if it will actually look like that though, you know ?

I've seen concept art for rides and things, but not actual lands at the Disney parks. I wonder how they differ from concept to final reality ?
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

The one with the people walking would be impossible to pull off. It looks like they just plopped people down on some movie concept art. I can see the boat one working though, and the flying one too, if it's anything like the ride inside Hogwarts at Wizarding World. But it still doesn't do anything for me. I feel like Avatar's already run its course. Do they really think it's going to be a classic? Cause I sure don't.

If Moana does well, they should totally work some of that into Animal Kingdom. Maybe into Discover Island, since it's supposed to represent equatorial islands, or maybe into less utilised areas like Camp Minnie-Mickey.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I agree RE looking like concept art with people plopped in !

I still firmly believe that this needs to be something else, another land, other than Avatar.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

'Tis with a heavy heart that I post this. :cry:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oJ8CjnshVg[/youtube]

"Disney World breaks ground on 'Avatar' land at Animal Kingdom"
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... ro-safaris
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

All I can say is …. poop.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

I know. I'm still hoping it won't work out. Stranger things have happened. But I'm not as optimistic as before.

At worst, maybe it will become re-purposed as Avatar wanes in popularity. Like how the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House became Tarzan's Tree House.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Linden wrote:At worst, maybe it will become re-purposed as Avatar wanes in popularity. Like how the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House became Tarzan's Tree House.
This is what I'm hoping for to be honest. Yes the film was HUGE on release, but kind of feels like it has died a death now? Guess that could be because it has been out for a few years etc, but I don't feel it has become a cherished classic.
Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

Atlantica wrote:
Linden wrote:At worst, maybe it will become re-purposed as Avatar wanes in popularity. Like how the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House became Tarzan's Tree House.
This is what I'm hoping for to be honest. Yes the film was HUGE on release, but kind of feels like it has died a death now? Guess that could be because it has been out for a few years etc, but I don't feel it has become a cherished classic.
Yeah, it doesn't seem to have much of a legacy, other than being the highest grossing movie of all-time. And only 1 movie, which I have no desire to see. So I don't get why they will build an entire area. But since they are, it better be good!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Exactly …. why this property for Disney ?

And what if the other films bomb ? Which granted isn't very likely, but still, what if ?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Not that I completely agree that this should be at Animal Kingdom (my stance has been why not at Hollywood Studios?), but Avatar is only just beginning. I think Disney is just investing on the future franchise this is creating. I personally really like the first film. Does it scream Disney to me? No, but I completely understand this move to create this land.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

But why Disney though I wonder; seems like something more suited to Universal ?
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

More news
Avatar director James Cameron said he's both excited and sad about Avatar Land — a new expansion coming to Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom park in 2017.

Cameron is excited about what he’s seen so far, saying the new land will be amazing. News 13 reported that Cameron praised Disney’s design for the new attraction, describing floating mountains and two state-of-the-art rides, but he didn’t provide any more detail after that.

As for the sad part? Cameron said that's because Avatar Land “is in Florida, because I won’t be able to go to it a lot.”

However, Disney did say that land — which broke ground in January— will have a flying simulator ride along with a new nighttime show and music.

Avatar Land adds to Central Florida's growing $50 billion tourism attraction industry and could bring in more visitors.
So, it's still going ahead. I saw Miceage reported that Avatar Land is going to be "scaled back to one flying simulator ride, a handful of shops, and a restaurant." But, since the above article was from not even two weeks ago, that doesn't seem very likely. Although, the article does only mention the flying simulator ride specifically.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I'm sorry, but I just don't want this land, with every fibre of my being !

…. and yes, that sounds dramatic but I really really really really don't see how Disney can justify yet another expansion that isn't Disney :?
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Atlantica wrote:I'm sorry, but I just don't want this land, with every fibre of my being !

…. and yes, that sounds dramatic but I really really really really don't see how Disney can justify yet another expansion that isn't Disney :?
Because Disney are corporate wh**es.

The comments here are spot on and I agree with pretty much all of them. I don't get why Disney is doing this.
If Disney is all up on James Cameron, why not build a Titanic water attraction too whilst you are there...that fits with the Disney brand :eyebrow:

I am also worried about Disney's identity. I feel we are going to lose the cherished Disney characters and the park as we know it for modern franchises that appeals to boys.

Definitely better suited for Universal. This feels like Disney couldn't claim Harry Potter and are now sulking. No one really cares that much about Avatar anymore. I thought it was terribly overrated. I can't remember who said it or where I heard it but ...Pocahontas with Smurfs.

I've had to give up my dream of going WDW as it's looking like I'm buying a house and London prices aren't kind. :(
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

^I completely agree with your comment about Harry Potter. I understand if Disney wants to compete with that, since they don't really have anything that compares to Wizarding World, as far as movie immersion goes. But I just wish they'd use one of their own properties. Heck, I'd be way happier if it was Star Wars that was getting this treatment. Although, maybe not at DAK. :wink:

Don't give up your dream of visiting WDW!! Never give it up! Just postpone it, maybe. I hope it will be sooner than you think. :)
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

Linden wrote:I know. I'm still hoping it won't work out. Stranger things have happened. But I'm not as optimistic as before.

At worst, maybe it will become re-purposed as Avatar wanes in popularity. Like how the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House became Tarzan's Tree House.
The Swiss Family Robinson Tree House is still the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House at Walt Disney World. It was changed in Disneyland,.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Nala wrote:
Linden wrote:I know. I'm still hoping it won't work out. Stranger things have happened. But I'm not as optimistic as before.

The Swiss Family Robinson Tree House is still the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House at Walt Disney World. It was changed in Disneyland,.
Yep. :) I'm sure there have been re-purposed attractions in WDW too. I'm just not as familiar with its history as I am with Disneyland's.