Sailor Moon Returns!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Sailor Moon Returns!

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm actually surprised the Dead Moon Circus isn't getting a regular season like the others. I thought all 5 arcs would. Hmm. There's just something odd about how I've read that the animation was weak for Crystal and now this. I thought Sailor Moon was very, very popular and successful? I would've thought they'd have enough interest (and sales) to put maximum effort into making the new series.

I remember back when S (of the old anime) had to re-cast Serena, that I really, really did not like the new actress they got back then. But watching it now, I don't know, I think she did the best she could. It's a hard character to play, much less when you're imitating another actress' interpretation, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, Toei only made Sailor Moon Crystal because Naoko Takeuchi said they had to make an anime closer to her manga if they wanted her to allow more merchandise. Or something like that. But Toei feels they don't need to put much effort in Sailor Moon because it's so popular. It doesn't need amazing animation to get people to watch it. It's a real shame. We also don't know why they decided on movies instead of more episodes.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I just wanted to say, since I love talking about great purchases, I splurged and bought all the original 5 seasons of the '90s Sailor Moon anime and all 3 seasons of Sailor Moon Crystal on Blu-ray. It cost a lot, lol. I just started watching the '90s anime with my best friend and the new dub took some getting used to, mostly because I watched the first 2 seasons in Japanese as well as Sailor Moon Crystal and the Eternal movies in Japanese. But I think they picked good voices and they seem to voice act well enough for the most part. I actually would rather watch them in Japanese but reading the subtitles off the far away TV as I watch it with my friend would be a nightmare. I don't like some of the dialogue changes, like changing, "I don't have time for this!" to "I'm late! I'm late!" when Usagi first finds Luna. But that's not so bad. Unfortunately the show seems so geared to children now that I see it in English! Makes me feel like it's so slight. That may be part of why I prefer Sailor Moon Crystal, which has more mature plot in my opinion. I really hope they release the Sailor Moon Eternal films on Blu-ray in the US soon. Maybe we'll have to wait as long as till Usagi's birthday like when we usually get Sailor Moon news.

Disney's Divinity, I think you should save up and get Sailor Moon Crystal on Blu-ray. It's worth it to me. But it's also on Netflix. Could you watch it on Netflix at either your place or a friends'?
Disney's Divinity

I did see the Blu-rays at Crystal Set 1 and Crystal Set 2 for $29.99 and $34.99 last week. That still seems kind of high to me when there are only 12-ish episodes per season. Maybe next year.

I might be able to watch the new Crystal movie on Netflix though. Has the whole Crystal series been put onto Netflix? I thought the old episodes used to be on hulu. I hope the movie is eventually made available on Blu-ray, too; same with the eventual Stars movie. I hate the move to streaming since physical releases for their content doesn't seem like it happens that often. :/ I know South Park is making streaming-only content now, too. So frustrating. But I know that stuff will eventually end up on Comedy Central a year or two afterwards.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. Ok. I think because I live with friends for cheap rent I don't feel the prices of things I love are that high. I really love Sailor Moon Crystal because it's so close to the manga. The whole series of Crystal is on Netflix along with the Eternal movies. Both Crystal and the old, original series are on Hulu, too.

I didn't know South Park is only doing streaming now. Makes me mad. I really hope it ends up on Comedy Central. However, I am thinking of occasionally getting Paramount for a month here and there to see the South Park specials.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I also recently bought the entire 10 volumes of the Sailor Moon Eternal Edition manga and all 2 volumes of the Sailor V Eternal Edition manga. I just started reading them and hope I finish them before I get too close to the last two seasons of the original Sailor Moon anime since I never saw those in their entirety and want to be surprised! I am starting with the Sailor V volumes, since that part of the story happens before Sailor Moon. The Eternal Editions are very nice. Big and all glossy!
Disney's Divinity

Disney Duster wrote:Oh. Ok. I think because I live with friends for cheap rent I don't feel the prices of things I love are that high. I really love Sailor Moon Crystal because it's so close to the manga. The whole series of Crystal is on Netflix along with the Eternal movies. Both Crystal and the old, original series are on Hulu, too.
That's good to know. I don't think it's spending that much if the purchases you make are few. The truth is I probably buy too many things (TV series, CDs, some movies, Funko, occasionally books and video games). :lol: So I have to try to get things at smaller prices so it all evens out somehow.

I'm happy you have the Eternal Editions! They look really nice! I'll get them someday, too, but since I have two different copies of the manga already (the original run from when I was a child and then when it was re-released 7-10 years ago), that's backburner for me.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh! Well, as a way to limit my spending, I mostly only collect Cinderella books, movies, and dolls, some other Disney properties' movies and books, usually the ones that involve magic, Sailor Moon shows, movies, and manga, and on the rarer occasions, movies or shows that I either really like or buying them is the only way I will see them (as was the case with the American Crime Story TV show seasons).

I only managed a few of the original run Sailor Moon books as a kid. I wasn't that into Sailor Moon until I was in high school, and by then it was hard to get every volume of the original manga at a book store. I do own the second release of the manga in Japanese that was released when I was still in high school, and looked at all the pictures, but couldn't read it, of course! I bought the English version of that release as well, but was too depressed to read it, so it's sitting in my basement somewhere. It is only now with this latest release I will be reading the whole story.

Thanks for being happy for me getting this manga, I hope you get it someday, too, and enjoy it very much!
Disney's Divinity

I skipped around the 2-part Eternals movie since I didn't have enough time to watch the full thing. I thought it was alright, but I wish the Amazon Trio hadn't been blink-and-you'll-miss-them almost. Sort of weird for Hawk's Eye and Tiger's Eye to be more queer here than Fisheye when it was the exact reverse of the original anime. :lol: Are the voices in the Eternal film different from the rest of Crystal? At least I read something about how they were re-cast, but I could be mis-remembering. I watched the first two episodes of Crystal season 1 and couldn't remember if the voices were different from the Eternal movies. From the Crystal show, I thought most of the voices were fine. The hardest for me to adjust to so far were Luna and Usagi's school friends (Molly / Naru? And the guy with the glasses, I forget the character's Japanese name), I suppose because the original anime had such a distinctive take for those characters. :lol: I actually think the Usagi here is better than the replacement the original anime had for her in the S and Super S seasons, but I think the actress in the original anime's first season and R is tops for me. So far Mamoru is the only character in this version I'm a little underwhelmed by.

I'm glad that they changed the animation for the transformations going by Eternal from what they were in season 1... The 3D transformations were really ugly to me. Reminds me of how they used 3D for the transformations in Digimon tri., which takes one of the best moments and makes them the worst--especially knowing you'll have to see them every episode. :/ Aside from those 3D transformations, I do think Crystal is generally pretty.
Disney's Divinity

A full season 1 set of the VIZ dub is being released:

Here is an image of the disc art. And this is the back cover.

This is what I expected--it's why I never buy the first releases of anime that split seasons into part 1 and part 2. They did the same thing with My Hero Academia, initially releasing the season in two halves before eventually releasing a full season 1 set 6 months or a year later. It's all a money racket. I suppose it took longer in Sailor Moon's case because they wanted to put every season out first in two halves before releasing full season sets; didn't want people to get wise to it by releasing a full season 1 set before they'd released half sets of season 2 and onwards first.

Anyway, I'm glad I hadn't bought any of the VIZ releases now; I just couldn't justify to myself spending $30 on half a season like that. I'm a little unclear on the details about everything so far, but I'm hoping the transfer is better than the original VIZ re-release. I'd read some people complain about the colors with the early seasons, with it being corrected in the later seasons' releases. Since I finally picked up the original dub via old DVDs and such last year (FINALLY), I'll simply buy the new dub this way as they come out. :) I think the cover and disc art are simple and nice.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I didn't realize you had been watching Crystal and Eternal finally! I am glad you like them ok, and find the animation pretty. Do you only think Crystal is pretty, or also Eternal? I think the new dub voices are mostly closer to how the original Japanese voices sounded, especially Usagi and Luna, so I like that. The 3D transformations never bothered me, but they bothered so many people, I feel they should have been animated by the guy who animated "Moon Cosmic Power Make-Up" in season 3, which hopefully you also watch. I just dislike the new character designs in season 3 (they had to change them because the original character designer got laughed off of Twitter for some reason, I forget if I ever found out the reason).

I already bought the two-half versions of all the original anime's seasons. I didn't notice the off colors. I'm ok with it, though. I'm not gonna re-buy even if the colors get corrected. It's not a Disney's Cinderella or Beauty and the Beast situation for me, lol!

And Umino is the guy with the glasses!
Disney's Divinity

I thought Eternal was pretty, too.

I wouldn't re-buy either, but still it makes me glad that I have the option for something better as one of those who hadn't bought any of the Viz releases yet. As far as the covers going forward, I hope they mostly stay the same of her being on the cover. What I would like is if the season 2 cover has her as Neo-Queen Serenity with the Silver Crystal, season 3 has her dressed as Sailor Moon with her scepter, season 4 as Super Sailor Moon with the Holy Chalice, and season 5 as Eternal Sailor Moon with the staff. I would love that.

It would've been cooler if they'd done something similar to that brief trend of Disney covers that had the protagonist and villain back-to-back. So, season 1 with SM back-to-back with Beryl, 2 of NQSerenity back-to-back with Wise Man (her holding the Silver Crystal, him holding his crystal ball), 3 of Sailor Moon with the scepter back-to-back with Mistress 9 holding a pure heart crystal, 4 with Super Sailor Moon and the Chalice back-to-back with Nehelenia and the Golden Crystal, and Eternal Sailor Moon with her staff back-to-back with Galaxia surrounded by star seeds.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad you thought Eternal was pretty. Unfortunately the animation even in those movies was hit or miss as well. The entirety of the new anime is like that. Some parts look better than others.

I like your ideas for the covers! I like every idea except season 4 shouldn't have the chalice, it should just have the golden crystal and/or Kaleidmoonscope, because the chalice/holy grail was only in season 3.

I'm glad you have the opportunity to buy a better release, that is if this release will have a better transfer.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

A live Sailor Moon event on April 28th revealed we are getting the Stars arc! Whether that is going to be in one movie or two, I have not found out yet. Hopefully it's two!!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The Stars arc will be finished by Sailor Moon Crystal's anime in TWO movies! Check out the first teaser trailer for the Sailor Moon Cosmos movies here!
Disney's Divinity

Yay! :) I'm more fine with this arc being resolved with films because it doesn't feel as "big" as the others, at least to me. Most of the story is just all the characters getting killedone after another before the final battle.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You have a point there. Have you finished all of Sailor Moon Crystal and Eternal yet?
Disney's Divinity

I've seen the two Eternals films and the first half of season 1. I probably could have watched it all by now if I put in the effort, but, I don't know, I find Crystal a little flavorless... I'll eventually get it on Blu-ray for completion's sake, but I'm not really in a hurry with it. In a way, making them films is probably a good idea because the characters are more nondescript in this version (like the manga) and it makes a full season hard to get through. Reading the manga, it's not so bad, because you can go through books fast. I think the original anime was smart to define the other sailors more, that made season-long arcs more bearable.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad you've gotten pretty far! I actually prefer Crystal since it is more plot-driven and moves the story more than the '90s anime. The '90s anime, no matter how developed the characters are, has been a little unbearable to me in how slow it takes to get to some juicy story stuff, and I also dislike a lot of the choices they make (like Kunzite sending the guardians to another dimension and that shows them the moon's past?!). I know the show had to deviate some because it didn't always know where the manga was going and they came out at the same time as each other, but sometimes it's so wtf or cheesy lol. I am actually just reading the manga in it's authentic (well, more authentic than the original release) form now in the Eternal editions, and some things I actually can't decide if the anime did better or not. Admittedly, for instance, the last two episodes of the first season of the '90s anime may have at least been more emotional. But, like, more happens in the manga ending of the first arc! So, I think I prefer the manga and Crystal more, still.
Disney's Divinity

Looks like they have improved the look of the first 2-3 seasons on Blu-ray as I was hoping. :dance: It'll still take a while for all 5 seasons to get released in full sets like this one (and for them to show up on sale), but I'm glad things are moving along for me to get the new dub now. :)