Episode 4: A New Hope for Gay UD Threads?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Re: Episode 4: A New Hope for Gay UD Threads?

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Even Wal-Mart will start offering gay partner benefits across all 50 US states:

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-partner-benef ... 04432.html
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

You should all watch this, it's just so beautiful.

Kids React To Gay Marriage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TJxnYgP6D8

Hmm... embedding doesn't seem to work anymore?
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Goliath wrote:You should all watch this, it's just so beautiful.

Kids React To Gay Marriage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TJxnYgP6D8

Hmm... embedding doesn't seem to work anymore?
I saw that before and thought it was very moving. It gives hope for the future, even if one kid was a no vote.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I found this video while on Facebook. Here's a description of the content

http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watc ... 7141827583

A Pennsylvania pastor has been defrocked by the United Methodist Church for refusing to change his view on marriage equality after officiating gay son’s wedding. In an Last Word exclusive, Lawrence O’Donnell talks to Frank Schaefer and his son, Tim.

I applaud with everything he said :clap: :clap: :clap:
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

I was overjoyed yesterday when I received word that Gay Marriage is now legal here in the state of Utah. Never thought I'd see the day, I just hope that it isn't appealed by the governor as I have heard talk about that happening.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Why is dating so hard? I thought coming out itself would be the hardest part of the whole process, but dating is so much worse. Disney has totally distorted my perception of romance and relationships in general, lol.

On a more positive note, I've told practically all my close friends and family I'm gay. Turns out most of them either knew or suspected it for years, and they were all extremely supportive, welcoming and just plain happy for me. It kind of makes me sad I wasted years worrying about it and not telling them sooner. But yay for personal progress! Dating still sucks though.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Mooky wrote:Why is dating so hard? I thought coming out itself would be the hardest part of the whole process, but dating is so much worse. Disney has totally distorted my perception of romance and relationships in general, lol.

On a more positive note, I've told practically all my close friends and family I'm gay. Turns out most of them either knew or suspected it for years, and they were all extremely supportive, welcoming and just plain happy for me. It kind of makes me sad I wasted years worrying about it and not telling them sooner. But yay for personal progress! Dating still sucks though.
I'm in a similar position to you. It took me till I was 24 to come out to anyone. With the first few people I came out to, it was quite nerve-racking, but with each new person I was open to, the more comfortable I became. Even though I knew all my family and friends were open-minded, there still was that awful fear that they'd still be offended by my coming out, which certainly wasn't the case. One benefit about coming out in one's 20s is that you're generally speaking more mature and less insecure than in one's teens, which has accelerated my own personal acceptance. I'm now out to everyone who matters (aside from some extended family, whom I've been meaning to tell for quite some time but not been able to), and that's simply within the frame of nine months or so. I've had some "oh, we guessed!" but a lot of people have also been quite surprised (though not in a negative sense). In fact, a lot of people I meet normally assume I'm straight.

Oh, an tell me about the dating scenario. I think a lot of guys have that fantasy image of coming out and suddenly meeting the dream life partner within a week or two, just like in a rom-com. I've been on some pretty dire dates in the past year or so. Some of the guys seemed to have zero ability to keep a conversation going, and it felt awkward and embarrassing just being there. Yet I'd still keep at the whole dating game. There's an old saying that you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince. And I'd rather attempt to establish real connections with guys as opposed to defaulting to one-night stands and NSA on a regular basis, which frankly is just unrewarding and a recipe for problems. In fact, I've remained quite good friends with one guy I went on a date with (we got on very well, but agreed at the time there wasn't that je-ne-sais-quoi).
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Wonderlicious wrote:I'm in a similar position to you. It took me till I was 24 to come out to anyone. With the first few people I came out to, it was quite nerve-racking, but with each new person I was open to, the more comfortable I became. Even though I knew all my family and friends were open-minded, there still was that awful fear that they'd still be offended by my coming out, which certainly wasn't the case. One benefit about coming out in one's 20s is that you're generally speaking more mature and less insecure than in one's teens, which has accelerated my own personal acceptance.
That's exactly how it has been with me. I was 24 when I first came out to a person I met here on UD, actually. Had he not approached me and befriended me, I would have probably been lost by now, and I can't possibly thank him enough for that. He helped me get out of my shell (and closet), and there have been constant improvements ever since. It took me five years to get to the point where I am now, though. Self-doubt and confidence issues don't go away that easily, but gradual coming out to people I love the most has helped me with that, particularly when I came out to my sister three years ago. Knowing I had her full support and unconditional love was liberating. Life has been (mostly) a joy ever since, and after a dozen or so coming outs all restless butterflies residing in my stomach have flown away.
Wonderlicious wrote:I'm now out to everyone who matters (aside from some extended family, whom I've been meaning to tell for quite some time but not been able to), and that's simply within the frame of nine months or so. I've had some "oh, we guessed!" but a lot of people have also been quite surprised (though not in a negative sense). In fact, a lot of people I meet normally assume I'm straight.
I've gotten that a lot, too. I've been throwing hints everywhere, and I was positive people would have noticed it if they just tried, but some people are either too blind to see or just don't want to. I myself thought it was pretty obvious to anyone with eyes, lol. The best response by far was of a colleague of mine, who just said, with a totally deadpan expression, "Oh, I knew it. I just haven't said anything because I thought you yourself didn't know."
Wonderlicious wrote:Oh, an tell me about the dating scenario. I think a lot of guys have that fantasy image of coming out and suddenly meeting the dream life partner within a week or two, just like in a rom-com. I've been on some pretty dire dates in the past year or so. Some of the guys seemed to have zero ability to keep a conversation going, and it felt awkward and embarrassing just being there. Yet I'd still keep at the whole dating game. There's an old saying that you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince. And I'd rather attempt to establish real connections with guys as opposed to defaulting to one-night stands and NSA on a regular basis, which frankly is just unrewarding and a recipe for problems. In fact, I've remained quite good friends with one guy I went on a date with (we got on very well, but agreed at the time there wasn't that je-ne-sais-quoi).
Thanks for sharing that. I have/had somewhat similar experiences/expectations. For start, I'm VERY recent to the whole dating scene -- like a month recent. My friend told me to me sign up on a dating site (or rather twisted my arm into it, depending on how you look at it) she heard about from her gay acquaintance, all because she was tired of seeing me single. I had some idea what I wanted in life (love-at-first-sight, long-term/life-long romance/relationship -- thank you Disney!) and what my preferences were, but talking to and meeting other people has shifted my views 180 degrees. I'm now reluctant to enter a relationship out of fear of not liking it there, and I'm afraid that wouldn't be fair to the other person if a long-term relationship was all they wanted. Being in a relationship for a few months/years and realizing that it is not for me terrifies me to the core, because more than anything it means the other person has wasted their precious time on a person who doesn't want the same things as they do. I don't want to hurt anyone like that, and all signs point to that happening eventually.

Then I thought it was only sex I wanted, but I'm just not that kind of person. Even if it was just sex, I'd like to have at least one or two meaningful conversations with the person with whom it would happen.

Am I even making any sense?

Long story short, I'm a mess and I don't know what I want anymore or if I ever did. And all this stems from the fact that at 29 I have zero experience and I feel this is something people get out of their system in their mid-twenties. I just don't have the advantage of 'formative years'.

As for dating, I went on a couple of dates. One guy seemed perfect on paper (he studies French literature, reads Proust, cooks, likes Italian cinema), but for my part there just wasn't any chemistry there. The other one is just too nice, a perfect gentleman, there is some chemistry, but our tastes and backgrounds are just too different for me to see it ever working in the long run, and I'm afraid I would come to resent him for that if we ever got that far. I've decided to take it slow, I like having him as a friend, but he has indicated he wants something more (and a long-term relationship, of course). So, in essence, he's being friend-zoned :/. And there's a third one who is just... indescribable. He's either too needy/clingy, too depressed or too vitriolic, it's impossible to have a proper discussion with him. He'll be on his way out of my life very soon.

Ugh, rant over :roll:. Sorry for boring you and anyone else reading this.
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

Mooky wrote:I was 24 when I first came out to a person I met here on UD, actually. Had he not approached me and befriended me, I would have probably been lost by now, and I can't possibly thank him enough for that. He helped me get out of my shell (and closet), and there have been constant improvements ever since.
Are you talking about me?? :D :D :D

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Indeed I am :).
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

Mooky wrote:Indeed I am :).
Aww yay! :D Mooks, I didn't know you felt that way and that I had such an influence in your life! That's really touching. I'm happy to have helped :)

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I'm happy you have, too :). I hate to sound schmaltzy, but you've been more than an influence -- you have been a friend and an inspiration. And like I said, I just can't thank you enough for that. Stay awesome!

Cordynharm

Post by Cordynharm »

Count me in with the gays! Never been with a woman in my life!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Is anyone watching Looking? The new gay-themed dramedy on HBO Sunday nights at 10:30pm. Any opinions?
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I saw the first episode, but it's hard to judge it just yet with only one aired.
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

Cordynharm wrote:Count me in with the gays! Never been with a woman in my life!
Oh thank the lord! You were too handsome to be straight. lol

I love Siren!
Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

I just recently saw an episode of "A Football Life" on NFL Network, which was about Jerry Smith, an American football player, who was also gay. It was really touching to see, and seeing the difficulty of being a gay athlete in the 70's. Though, it must still be difficult today, as there still have not been an active player who came out in the NFL or the other pro sports leagues.

It is a travesty that he is not in the Hall of Fame, mainly due to the homophobia in the NFL.
Cordynharm

Post by Cordynharm »

:lol: haha thanks xxhplinkxx
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Disney's Good Luck Charlie aired the two moms episode Sunday night. Here's a clip:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoEBdCsrOVs[/youtube]

More info.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

carolinakid wrote:Is anyone watching Looking? The new gay-themed dramedy on HBO Sunday nights at 10:30pm. Any opinions?
I liked the second episode better than the first. I'm sticking around. I always prefer giving shows a chance. Some of the best shows in TV history have had rocky starts.

I like the characters. That's a good sign.