Episode 4: A New Hope for Gay UD Threads?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Episode 4: A New Hope for Gay UD Threads?

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't know how I'd get to see the film if it doesn't open widely.

I didn't know there was a Stonewall documentary. Glad there is one. I wish I could find it and watch it. Where would I find it?
Flanger-Hanger wrote:Perhaps the screenwriter overestimated the need to make the movie accessible to mass audiences by having the story's star be a while, male personality.
Did you mean have the star be a white male personality? So the main character was black but people still complained they didn't involve racial minorities enough?

Glad you enjoyed the film and think it is so good, though. Maybe someday I'll get to see it.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Disney Duster wrote:Did you mean have the star be a white male personality? So the main character was black but people still complained they didn't involve racial minorities enough?
No, the main character was a fictional white male, and some people believe that was the wrong decision to make.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Disney Duster wrote:I don't know how I'd get to see the film if it doesn't open widely.

I didn't know there was a Stonewall documentary. Glad there is one. I wish I could find it and watch it. Where would I find it?
I think that there are a few Stonewall documentaries or documentaries relating in some way or another to Stonewall. This appears to be the most recent one: http://www.amazon.com/American-Experien ... l+uprising
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:No, the main character was a fictional white male, and some people believe that was the wrong decision to make.
Ah. Well honestly the lead of a film should be what represents the majority of the gay people there were in the civil rights fight. If it was white gay males, then by all means the casting of the lead was a good idea.
Wonderlicious wrote:I think that there are a few Stonewall documentaries or documentaries relating in some way or another to Stonewall.
Thank you. I guess when I get a job with enough income I'll try looking for that and other documentaries on it.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

So, I came out to my mom back in September (on my birthday, actually). It went...kind of awkwardly at first. She didn't have a negative, hateful reaction. Just a, "Well, how do you KNOW you're gay if you haven't..." one. And it was like, "Mom, by the time you're 24, you just know." I rolled it out at first as a, "What do you think our family would think if someone were gay...?" And led with that. And then she pulled the, "Were you molested" card and that was...probably the worst part. And as the weeks went by, she became way more...use to it, I guess? Making the adjustment. Though she still makes comments about how 'hard' it's going to be for me as a 'gay man.' She seems so worried about the possibility of me getting gay-bashed. I still haven't told my dad. Or my extended family. Haven't had the chance. Don't really SEE them or speak to them with any regularity. And, even though I was all ready OUT on Facebook, some people didn't realize it, including one of my closest friends, so, I realized I HAD to set the record gay. I posted the following status a week ago:

"It's come to my attention that not everyone has realized by this point that I'm a 'mo. That surprises me, not just because I've had myself listed as 'gay' on here since (I think?) 2012, but also because I don't think I've made any attempt to downplay that aspect of my life. I may not have ever made an explicit post about it, but that's owing more to my modest nature than anything. I most certainly have never felt ashamed of my sexuality. I've said before that I know so many LGBT people have a horrible period of self-loathing (and some, sadly, never even get over it), but, honestly, I NEVER felt that way. I think so many people fall into the trap of thinking, "If religion and society says there's something wrong with me, then there MUST be something wrong with me." Whereas I always viewed it more like, "If religion and society says there's something wrong with me, then something's wrong with THEM." And it never bothered me. I have never thought of it as being any more interesting than the fact that I'm left-handed or have brown hair and blue eyes. And yet, here we are. It's 2015, and it feels like we (meaning lesbians, gays, bisexuals, etc.) STILL have to make a look-at-me big deal about it at least once. So, consider this that once."

-And it got a positive response. I only have about 70 friends on Facebook, and nearly 20 of them liked or commented on it. I have a cousin on my friend's list. I wonder if he's going to pass the word onto his mom (my dad's sister) and save me the trouble of having to do the whole, "I'm gggaaaayyyy" cliche at Thanksgiving or Christmas (the only time our family gathers). I still want the chance to tell my dad and grandpa MYSELF, but I'm really not sure HOW to without just calling out of the blue and seeming all, "I'm a fag!" and making it...weird? Vapid? Attention-whore-ish? Does that make sense?

Even though I still live at home, I've been working harder on improving myself. I've always been scrawny and pale. So I've been working out and going outside, trying to build some muscle and feel better about the way I look. I've also recently begun learning how to drive (which, up to this point, has been a major phobia of mine, and has prevented me from achieving a lot in life) by getting my permit. I'm trying to strike out on my own, get a place, get a job and my comic-book published and just get to a better place mentally and physically. And once ALL of that is accomplished, (dare I say it?) maybe even start dating. Because I've felt so insecure about my situation, being unemployed, unable to drive, scrawny and living at home, unpublished, with nothing really to show for my life, I've put off even TRYING to have a romantic life. That I'm naturally introverted and shy doesn't help. But, I've really felt too...pathetic and unworthy to even put myself on the market and have been trying like hell to change that. A lot of it has to do with depression. And anxiety. But, at least by 'coming out,' it feels as if I have one LESS thing to worry about it, and that's good. I hope you don't mind this novel-length and typically out-of-character for me personal post, but I just needed to put it out there.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You should not be ashamed of yourself at all. You are worth everything. You have a great mind and soul. You haven't published anything yet, but what you have I'm sure is great, that's what really matters. Also, you are still quite young and many people have to rely on room mates or boyfriends or girlfriends or spouses to afford "a place of their own" for a very long time. And also, skinny is considered quite attractive, you know! So, bro, feel good about yourself. You have much to.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Thanks, Duster. I really appreciate it. :)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm so happy for you, ProfessorRatigan, and I hope everything continues to go well for you. :D
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Thank you!
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

ProfessorRatigan wrote:I hope you don't mind this novel-length and typically out-of-character for me personal post, but I just needed to put it out there.
I don't think anyone here minds that you did. We all appreciate sharing each others thoughts on subjects like this and it's good to hear how people are doing outside of collecting DVDs and Blu-rays.

Taking charge of your life like you have can be a difficult thing, but I think it's great that you have! I can relate to the "just starting to work out" phase having been there a few years ago, but it gets easier and more enjoyable the more it becomes a part of your daily or weekly life. It's also a good way to get out and be more sociable if that's part of your overall goal as well.

I hope everything continues to go well for you too.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Flanger-Hanger wrote:I hope everything continues to go well for you too.
Thanks, that means a lot. :)
Disney's Divinity

My prayers go out to all the people and the families affected in Florida. And to the people who passed, rest in peace.

And anyone who thinks they deserved it (Muslim, Christian, or otherwise) can go f*** themselves.

EDIT: The body count has increased to 59. :( The worst mass shooting in US history. Apparently a gay pride parade in Los Angeles was also targeted, but thankfully the perpetrators were stopped.

I'm disgusted, but I don't expect anything to happen. If Sandy Hook didn't contribute some change to this country, absolutely nothing will. And you know Republicans (or the majority of them) DGAF if a bunch of LGBT individuals are slaughtered.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Yeah, it's really awful news. Not something I'd wanted to hear upon waking up on a lazy Sunday morning. And the fact that some people will say it's a sort of karma or divine punishment really makes me angry. :(
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea I'm with you guys. I wonder if any people will think this massacre was natural or divine intervention, though, since it was a person, an Islamic Radical, who did the shooting. It's really terrible that even an American-born Muslim did this. It's just sad. This shooting was one of the worst things to ever happen. I'll pray for the victims and their families and friends.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

t wanted to remind anyone who's interested of the Looking Series Finale movie on HBO on July 23 at 10pm ET. I loved that show! Jonathan Groff plays Patrick.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Ru Pauls' Drag Race All Stars Edition Season 2 begins Thursday, August 25 on LOGO.
Disney's Divinity

So... Military Transgender Ban, initiated by a draft dodger. Thoughts?
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I weeped. Besides "unfair," "ungrateful" is a word that comes to mind. These are people who are willing to risk their lives for this country, and due to nothing but hatred and uncaring, they are being dismissed. They are better people than he who shall not be named and his minions. My heart hurts so hard for this country.
Disney's Divinity

This might have been posted about elsewhere on the forum, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I just saw the cutest animated short titled "In a Heartbeat." I wondered if anyone else might have seen it. I thought the designs were so adorable.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^That short has been posted on some animation sites-- I just haven't made time to sit down and watch it, but it's on my to-do list!

Wanda Sykes and Portia de Rossi to Voice Lesbian Moms on Disney’s ‘Doc McStuffins’
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/08/wanda- ... 201863833/
(via animatedviews.com)