Thumbelina

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
amazon980 wrote: Also i heard that they did a pre screening with the disney logo before it and it did quite well.
I just read about this on IMDB and on tvtropes.org. How is this possible? How is it legal?
I assume since it was a private screening and they only tacked the logo on once for an experiment, it was okay. And it would seem petty for Disney to sue over that.

About the film itself, I haven't watched it in a long time, so I can't discuss the quality of the movie, but I remember I liked it. Of course, Jodi Benson helps a lot, too! :lol:
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Am I the only one who feels like the animal designs are so different from the more human characters that it's glaring? I'm watching "Let Me Be Your Wings" right now, and the animals put the crown of flowers on Thumbelina's head, and in that short time, it was just...annoyingly different, their design...? I do like Thumbelina's and the prince's design, though. The song's just alright, though. Maybe I'd like it more if I saw the whole movie (even with albums, I like songs more if I hear it with the rest of the album)...it gets better as the song goes on and Thumbelina sings...Jodi did a good job- she didn't sound like Ariel (so it's good that she made herself sound different). Not feeling the frogs' design. And is Charo as a frog annoying like I think she would be...?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Am I the only one who feels like the animal designs are so different from the more human characters that it's glaring? I'm watching "Let Me Be Your Wings" right now, and the animals put the crown of flowers on Thumbelina's head, and in that short time, it was just...annoyingly different, their design...? I do like Thumbelina's and the prince's design, though. The song's just alright, though. Maybe I'd like it more if I saw the whole movie (even with albums, I like songs more if I hear it with the rest of the album)...it gets better as the song goes on and Thumbelina sings...Jodi did a good job- she didn't sound like Ariel (so it's good that she made herself sound different). Not feeling the frogs' design. And is Charo as a frog annoying like I think she would be...?
Don bluth's animals and humans are dramatically different from each other but in each movie they both have a standard style he set for them. The human characters look more realistic while the animals etc look more cartoony.

I'm not big fan of Don Bluth's designs(except Titan A.E.) Never like em even when I was a kid.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

Gosh, this movie is so weird. I only saw it recently, but I barely even remember it. I need to watch it again. Jodi Benson is obviously the best part of the movie! :P The music is pretty good too. Charo is.... an odd choice. Overall I think it's ok, kinda scary. :lol:
VagueSimplicity
Limited Issue

Post by VagueSimplicity »

I love this movie. It has its flaws, but I love watching it on DVD once in a while. I dislike that some of the voices sometimes match with the animation on screen like when Thumbelina finally gets her wings and she says "I have wings!" or something. Ruined the moment for me. And then the CG in Paris (I think) where there's no people. Felt sort of like a ghost town which was a grand contrast to "Bonjour" in BatB.

But the music is always a reason to love this movie. Well Jodi Benson's songs anyway, and of course "Let Me Be Your Wings". Such a lovely melody with original lyrics imo. Barry Manilow did great work on the score. Sad that this has become such an underrated film. I consider it a small, but big piece of my childhood. I wish they would release it on some special edition like Anastasia or FernGully, or maybe all of them on Blu-ray. That'd be really nice.
Black pearl
Gold Classic Collection
Location: Watching the video "Counterfeit Christians" by David Wilkerson, follow the link in my sig

Post by Black pearl »

This thread has inspired me to add Thumbelina on dvd to my wish list :).
I used to watch it all the time on vhs, but I haven’t seen it in years, I don’t even remember how it goes any more. I remember I liked the songs and that I though Thumbelina was pretty.
I am looking forwards to seeing it again, good on you for starting this threat :D .
If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Romans 10:9. 2 Timothy ch2 v 19, “ Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness”.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW-J4MIcmtQ
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

blackcauldron85 wrote: The song's just alright, though.
I think that "Let Me Be Your Wings" is more than just alright, now that I've heard it more than once. I do like it. I really do like the little bit I've seen of Thumbelina and Cornelius.
Super Aurora wrote:Don bluth's animals and humans are dramatically different from each other but in each movie they both have a standard style he set for them. The human characters look more realistic while the animals etc look more cartoony.
I haven't seen All Dogs Go to Heaven since I was a young kid, but in the little bit I've seen since then, there doesn't seem to be such a disparity between the animal and human designs. And definitely not in Anastasia (I mean, yes, most of the characters are human, but Puka and Bartok don't seem out of place at all).
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Thumbelina

Post by Redadoodles »