Post by disneyboy20022 »

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/access- ... nes-5.html

oh lord jesus christ of moses may the aztecs help us :P
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Hasn't either George Lucas or Steven Spielberg (can't recall which) actually more or less admitted that the 4th movie was a big mistake, that they shouldn't have tried adding to the trilogy and that Harrison was too old to take up the role again?
:?
"Indiana Jones and the Nursing Home of Doom" sounds good, but only if Willy Scott (Kate Capshaw) does karaoke. :P
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

I want them to do a prequel trilogy (or more) of films that help bridge the 15-year gap between Hollywood Follies (1920) and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1935). Hopefully Sean Patrick Flanery can continue in the role of Young Indy, even if now he's older than Harrison Ford was when Raiders of the Lost Ark came out (Flanery is 43, and Ford was 39 when he did Raiders).

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I'll still see it. That's just the kind of guy I am this week.

I'd see Escapay's prequel movies if Harrison Ford plays young Indy either through the magic of digital face lifts ala "X-Men 3" or by dressing him in turn of the century children's clothes and making him hold an overly large lollipop.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

SpringHeelJack wrote:I'll still see it. That's just the kind of guy I am this week.

I'd see Escapay's prequel movies if Harrison Ford plays young Indy either through the magic of digital face lifts ala "X-Men 3" or by dressing him in turn of the century children's clothes and making him hold an overly large lollipop.
My brother and I watched "Crystal Skull" on cable a few weeks ago, and after it finished I felt like I'd been violated. A seriously baaaaad movie; and I'm so sorry for Harrison Ford and Karen Allen's involvement in it. :x

My DVD Collection :
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I thought KotCS was alright, but it just was not up to par with the trilogy. If they make a fifth film they should follow one important rule: NO CGI!
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

PixarFan2006 wrote:I thought KotCS was alright, but it just was not up to par with the trilogy. If they make a fifth film they should follow one important rule: NO CGI!
Same here. Being a big fan of Indy, I'm up for a fifth, however, no CGI! Surely there must be someone in Hollywood that still knows how to build models and do matte paintings.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I was mostly okay with "Crystal Skull". I think all in all, I'd choose it over "Temple of Doom".
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Hugh Indy fan. In fact I think Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best movie of all time. I am with the majority, Krystal Skull was okay. Worth a watch but no wheres near as good as Indy 1 or 3.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

Barbossa wrote:Same here. Being a big fan of Indy, I'm up for a fifth, however, no CGI! Surely there must be someone in Hollywood that still knows how to build models and do matte paintings.
Sadly, it's a dying art... Next you'll be wanting someone who knows how to thatch a roof! :lol:
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Only Raiders of the Lost Ark was a good movie. I've seen the two original sequels and, while I liked them when I was an easily impressed teen, they are horrible and I don't see why it made them make a fourth movie. And now a fifth?

It's creative poverty, and making easy money.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Goliath wrote:Only Raiders of the Lost Ark was a good movie. I've seen the two original sequels and, while I liked them when I was an easily impressed teen, they are horrible and I don't see why it made them make a fourth movie. And now a fifth?

It's creative poverty, and making easy money.
Technically, isn't 'Temple of Doom' the first movie, since it takes place before 'Raiders'? :?

My DVD Collection :
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Si. It is. It was always silly to me, because there's no reason for it to take place before "Raiders", and even having seen the date at the opening, it still never occurred to me that it was a prequel until someone pointed it out to me. Much like changing the college in "Last Crusade", it doesn't seem to have a point.
Goliath wrote:While I liked them when I was an easily impressed teen, they are horrible.
Meee-ow! I love "Last Crusade". I enjoy it easily as much as the first movie even if it dips heavily into comedy at some points. Sean Connery alone is worth the price of admission.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is my favourite Indy movie. :shifty:

I don't know why, but I could never really warm up to The Last Crusade as much as I did the first two. It starts off excellent with the young Indy prequel and the first half of the film is great. But once we get the "Elsa's a Nazi" revelation (which really wasn't much of a surprise), the rest of the movie starts losing steam and feels lacking.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Escapay wrote:Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is my favourite Indy movie. :shifty:

I don't know why, but I could never really warm up to The Last Crusade as much as I did the first two. It starts off excellent with the young Indy prequel and the first half of the film is great. But once we get the "Elsa's a Nazi" revelation (which really wasn't much of a surprise), the rest of the movie starts losing steam and feels lacking.

albert
Mine too! It was actually the first one I saw, and I had a minor obsession with it back in primary school, renting it weekend after weekend. :)

My DVD Collection :
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I don't hate "Temple of Doom", I'm just not wild about it. Really, it's Willie Scott's fault.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Yay! Glad to know I'm not the only Temple of Doom lover!

Our cousin had it on VHS, and we'd borrow it from him for weeks on end. I remember once watching it in the morning before pre-school started, going to pre-school, then as soon as I came home, turned on the television to continue watching the movie!

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

SpringHeelJack wrote:I don't hate "Temple of Doom", I'm just not wild about it. Really, it's Willie Scott's fault.
No, she's perfect. She typifies the 1930s club singer so indicative of the period, and it's a joyous performance from Kate Capshaw. And singing in Mandarin/Cantonese is no easy feat - I had to learn it phonetically when I played a role in "Thoroughly Modern Millie" last year - singing AND dialogue! So I really take my hat off to her. :)

My DVD Collection :
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Mr. Toad wrote:Hugh Indy fan. In fact I think Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best movie of all time...
...of all time. Sounds like something Kanye would say. :wink: :lol:
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

This is how I would personally rank the Indy films:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Last Crusade
The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The Temple of Doom

I really like all the follow ups and adore Raiders. In regards to Last Crusade, I agree with Albert that it loses steam as it goes along. Whenever I think of the film, most of my memories come from the first half. Once Elsa's revealed to be a baddie, things feel a bit slow, even during action sequences. I think it's because so much of it essentially remakes Raiders, so there's always this lingering feeling that we've seen it all before, only better. There's not a lot here to make it distinctive outside of a briliant Sean Connery.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Temple of Doom both have problems despite the fact I still enjoy them. For KotCS, my main beef is that Indy doesn't really save the day: Oxley does. In the original trilogy, it was Indy that kept the story moving along, but in the fourth one, he's merely a participant following behind Oxley. He needed to be more proactive, especially during the end. The story also felt kind of haphazard. It's like they had a lot of great ideas but weren't sure what to do with them, so they threw in what they had and loosely connected them, resulting in something half-baked. Oh, and Marion was rather out-of-character here.

Temple of Doom is an oddity for me. I'd go as far as to say it's more memorable than LC and KotCS, but the quality is less consistent and is all over the place. The last third is brilliant (from when Indy "wakes up" onward), the first third is very good (up until they reach the palace), but the middle act in between both drags and annoys me. Willie is like a litmus test for how long human patience can last. Short Round is cute but also a bit annoying. I'd probably dislike him more if he wasn't sharing screentime with Willie. I just find this installment too hammy, I guess.

Wow, I just realized that this post reads like a "Why I Hate Indiana Jones" thesis. I promise I'm a fan of the whole series. I give all three sequels (or prequel, whatever) solid ***1/2 out of ****. I guess since this thread has been leaning more towards criticism of the series, I decided to go that route, too. I'd actually be open to a fifth film if they can find a story that's more memorable than LC and more tightly constructed than KotCS and ToD.