Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Re: Disney now acquired Indiana Jones rights

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

HarryCanyon wrote:Well yes but for rights to distribute future movies as they got the rights away from Paramount yet Paramount owns the 4 existing Indy movies and Disney will do on merchandise, films, TV show etc. rights.
It's times like this, I wish Fox could renew distribution rights for the post SW IV films.
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HarryCanyon »

Why say that Mickeyfan? Disney is a perfect place for Lucasilm/SW/Indiana Jones since we got Captain EO, Indiana Jones ride, Indy stuntshow, SW weekends and Star Tours.

Very soon Disney and Fox can join together to give us FINALLY the unbutchered cuts of the original Star Wars Trilogy from the Lucasfilm vaults restored and digitally remastered without any more tinkering now that Lucas is out of the picture.
russds

Post by russds »

Some indication Frank Marshall has Indy on his mind:

Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

HarryCanyon wrote:Why say that Mickeyfan? Disney is a perfect place for Lucasilm/SW/Indiana Jones since we got Captain EO, Indiana Jones ride, Indy stuntshow, SW weekends and Star Tours.
I always felt Fox was Star Wars' rightful home.

As long as Disney keeps the Fox logo and fanfare for I, II, III, V, and VI then that's fine.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Aside from the very first Star Wars (which they produced), all that 20th Century Fox has actively done with the franchise was distribute the films and shoot II and III at their Australia studios. The actual creative process and production was done by Lucasfilm. Any new film in the franchise will not feature the 20th Century Fox logo in the beginning, as they're no longer the distributors. One can hope that future releases by Disney (post-2020, when Fox loses the rights) of I, II, III, V, & VI will retain the Fox logo. Similarly, Warner Bros. has always preserved the MGM and RKO logos on the films they acquired (MGM's pre-1986 film catalogue, the entire RKO library). But I wouldn't be surprised if Disney wanted to strip away the Fox logo and replace it with their own by then. After all, they are not only the current distributor, but, you know... the actual owners of the entire franchise now.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I know the Fox logos won't be playing in front of the new movies but I wish that Disney would license the 20th Century Fox Fanfare to be played before the film begins. It feels wrong not to have that music playing at the very beginning.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Disney buying the Indiana Jones rights?

Um.......okay.
Last edited by Musical Master on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Musical Master wrote:Disney buying the Indiana Jones right?

Um.......okay.
Hmm?
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Avaitor wrote:
Musical Master wrote:Disney buying the Indiana Jones right?

Um.......okay.
Hmm?
"rights".

Sorry about that.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

HarryCanyon wrote:Why say that Mickeyfan? Disney is a perfect place for Lucasilm/SW/Indiana Jones since we got Captain EO, Indiana Jones ride, Indy stuntshow, SW weekends and Star Tours.

Very soon Disney and Fox can join together to give us FINALLY the unbutchered cuts of the original Star Wars Trilogy from the Lucasfilm vaults restored and digitally remastered without any more tinkering now that Lucas is out of the picture.
what's wrong with the special editions? Another thing I like that most people hate add that to Disney sequels and Star Wars prequels. Poor George Lucas won't be remembered and can't make any more movies cause people will bash them. That's why he sold out.
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HarryCanyon »

Well Brad, did you know Lucas was actually against altering and tampering with cinematic works of art in 1988 especially against Ted Turner who had plans to colorize B&W movies?

Here's his speech:
"A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten."

"The public's interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests. And the proof of that is that even a copyright law only permits the creators and their estate a limited amount of time to enjoy the economic fruits of that work."
Thus American Film preservation society was born and SW was one of the first 24 movies to be on AFI's movies and the special editions were nice seeing them in theaters and video but the theatrical cuts are the one people all know and grew up with including myself! it's just henious that Lucas became greedy and too much controlled as he did swore one time that he would not become a businessman and became a real life sith as he was a Jedi in the 80s and 70s but became a corporate person and that always keeps tampering with his works of art being the classic SW trilogy especially that horrible change of Sabastian Shaw to that boy who played Anakin in Episodes 2/3 which is just beyond idiotic i say and all that plus feels too corrupted and lazy not to give us the proper original theatrical cuts the way we remembered them yet in 2006 we did got limited edition DVDs of the untouched trilogy which i do have but they are actually copied from laserdiscs from 1993 and were in poor condition, it's just that money got into his head and everyone's been asking to have him release the original cuts yet he's been an ass of it.

At least Disney is no stranger when it comes to making your choices of cuts to watch on DVD and blu-ray with Beauty and The beast which has 3 different versions of your choice to watch and Lion King exists in 2 different versions to watch. Hell even Spielberg is smarter than Lucas he definitely gave us the unbastardnized original theatrical cut of ET on blu-ray as Spielberg regret doing that 20th anniversary edition and knows about Lucas's original 1988 speech on altering works of cinematic art which ET is art you know and he vowed never to alter anymore films after he saw that South Park "Free Hat" episode. Even other films like Blade Runner (exists in 5 versions), Brazil (3 versions including the one Gilliam hated which was the syndicated TV cut), Nightbreed (2 cuts especially the new Cabal Cut), Legend (2 versions from Scott), Army of Darkness (3 cuts) etc. all exist in different versions that can be seen on DVD and blu-ray.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

HarryCanyon wrote:Well Brad, did you know Lucas was actually against altering and tampering with cinematic works of art in 1988 especially against Ted Turner who had plans to colorize B&W movies?

Here's his speech:
"A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten."

"The public's interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests. And the proof of that is that even a copyright law only permits the creators and their estate a limited amount of time to enjoy the economic fruits of that work."
Thus American Film preservation society was born and SW was one of the first 24 movies to be on AFI's movies and the special editions were nice seeing them in theaters and video but the theatrical cuts are the one people all know and grew up with including myself! it's just henious that Lucas became greedy and too much controlled as he did swore one time that he would not become a businessman and became a real life sith as he was a Jedi in the 80s and 70s but became a corporate person and that always keeps tampering with his works of art being the classic SW trilogy especially that horrible change of Sabastian Shaw to that boy who played Anakin in Episodes 2/3 which is just beyond idiotic i say and all that plus feels too corrupted and lazy not to give us the proper original theatrical cuts the way we remembered them yet in 2006 we did got limited edition DVDs of the untouched trilogy which i do have but they are actually copied from laserdiscs from 1993 and were in poor condition, it's just that money got into his head and everyone's been asking to have him release the original cuts yet he's been an ass of it.

At least Disney is no stranger when it comes to making your choices of cuts to watch on DVD and blu-ray with Beauty and The beast which has 3 different versions of your choice to watch and Lion King exists in 2 different versions to watch. Hell even Spielberg is smarter than Lucas he definitely gave us the unbastardnized original theatrical cut of ET on blu-ray as Spielberg regret doing that 20th anniversary edition and knows about Lucas's original 1988 speech on altering works of cinematic art which ET is art you know and he vowed never to alter anymore films after he saw that South Park "Free Hat" episode. Even other films like Blade Runner (exists in 5 versions), Brazil (3 versions including the one Gilliam hated which was the syndicated TV cut), Nightbreed (2 cuts especially the new Cabal Cut), Legend (2 versions from Scott), Army of Darkness (3 cuts) etc. all exist in different versions that can be seen on DVD and blu-ray.
Lucas said the original trilogy wasn't finished and that's why he made the special editions to finish them. He donated the money he made selling Lucasarts to Disney to charity.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Indiana Jones reboot...

Post by Barbossa »

Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Re: Indiana Jones reboot...

Post by Barbossa »

Might work...

Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Barbossa wrote:Might work...

wow, might really work!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

INDIANA JONES Producer: No Plans To Replace Harrison Ford In The Role!!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/73548

When Lucasfilm makes the next Indiana Jones movie, who will be in lead role?
http://thedisneyblog.com/2015/10/28/whe ... lead-role/
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Nothing against Harrison Ford at all but I think that this is a mistake. At some point, he's not going to be able to do films like this anymore. He's 73 right now, I believe. We all love him as Indy but at some point, you have to pass the torch.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Indiana Jones 5 - July 2019

Post by Barbossa »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... nes-875794

Indiana Jones and the Quest to fill the bank accounts of the Disney Shareholders
:wink:

I guess this is the 6th time Harrison will be playing Indy - if you count the bookends to Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues.
Disney's Divinity

Re: Indiana Jones 5 - July 2019

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Barbossa wrote: Indiana Jones and the Quest to fill the bank accounts of the Disney Shareholders
rotfl
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Re: Indiana Jones 5 - July 2019

Post by milojthatch »

Barbossa wrote:http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... nes-875794

Indiana Jones and the Quest to fill the bank accounts of the Disney Shareholders

I guess this is the 6th time Harrison will be playing Indy - if you count the bookends to Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues.
I'm really excited about this film. It's the film I wanted made instead of the new Star Wars. I'm happy that Disney isn't so preoccupied with Star Wars that they found time to bring back Indy! To me, this film is the one that needed to be made and every Star Wars since The Force Awakens is the cash grab for the stock holders. Spielberg and Lucas had originally talked about making five Indiana Jones films back in the 80's. Things got off track due to various issues, but I want them to finish what they started. I also hope Lucas has something to do with it. While fans may grown at the idea and I doubt it would happen due to retirement and Disney's attitude towards him lately, it's his creation as much as Ford's or Spielberg's.

However, due to Ford's age, I think this should be the last one. Also again, because they talked about five films and this would be that magic number. I also hope they bring it back to more of the Earth-bound fantastic and drop the sci-fi tone from the last film, as well as re-cast Mutt and maybe lay off the CG as much. I'm OK with the use of CG, I just want to see it used in more of a supporting role and not as the main attraction. As for Mutt, I'm OK with the chracter, I'm just not a fan of the actor they picked to play him. Also, bring back Sallah dang it!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney