Cinderella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Cinderella (Live-Action)

Post by Redadoodles »

I believe you. I haven't watched those deleted scenes in two years I think. I'll have to watch them again. :) Either way, all the deleted scenes should have been in the film with my favorite being the one when she smells her father's clothes and crumbles.

On an another note, I still don't like the whole dancing thing when in the animated one, she's actively trying to get out. I also don't like that she introduces herself to the prince as "Cinderella" instead of Ella. It makes you think she accepted to become what her step-mother wanted her to be.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I love when she smells her father's clothes. I feel like that scene, the longer scene between Ella and Kit at the ball, and the letter to get Kit to meet Ella scene should have been kept in, but most especially the ball one.

Someone said to me Ella calling herself Cinderella is like taking back a bad name, like Black people do with the n-word. Also, in the Broadway version of Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella, Ella also tells the Prince her name is Cinderella because she wants to use it to teach girls that they can overcome obstacles to make their dreams come true. I always liked that. Anyway, I liked the idea that Ella may use Cinderella as her alternate name even after she is free from servitude and living happily ever after.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Redadoodles wrote:The thing is she comes off as very cheesy sometimes while the animated one had the advantage of having some very sarcastic moments. For example, when I watched the remake in theatre, a child literally asked "What is she doing?!" when she started to dance in her room while the duke was downstairs.
At that moment, the character comes off as cheesy and almost dumb, especially when you compare it to the animated version.
I do think this version of the character is a little cheesy. I think Cinderella in the animated film comes across more educated and more dignified; Ella has more of a little girl quality to her. The moment of her dancing in the attic is the one my favorite reviewer really went bonkers over, which is why that scene always sticks out in my memory. :lol: I don't know, it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would when I watched it again.
Disney Duster wrote: Someone said to me Ella calling herself Cinderella is like taking back a bad name, like Black people do with the n-word.
It reminds me, too, of My Hero Academia where Izuku takes on his bully's nickname as his superhero name that everyone will know him by (Deku).

I've never seen the deleted scenes. I might try to watch them sometime. I could like the longer ballscene since I felt like what's in the film is too short and the fact that she tried to reach out to the prince despite her predicament sounds like something I'd prefer.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I do think this version of the character is a little cheesy. I think Cinderella in the animated film comes across more educated and more dignified; Ella has more of a little girl quality to her. The moment of her dancing in the attic is the one my favorite reviewer really went bonkers over, which is why that scene always sticks out in my memory. :lol: I don't know, it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would when I watched it again.
Is your favorite reviewer the one who called the film Blanderella? lol Because, it kind of is Blanderella, lol. But I still love the movie because it is a very grandiose staging of my favorite story, you know. I'm glad the scene wasn't so bad to you before.

One review site said. about Ella dancing in the attic, that Cinderella keeping her memories of happiness to live on in her predicament, which the review called "the chill of the universe", was a good thing about the film. I always liked that way of thinking about that moment.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:Someone said to me Ella calling herself Cinderella is like taking back a bad name, like Black people do with the n-word.
It reminds me, too, of My Hero Academia where Izuku takes on his bully's nickname as his superhero name that everyone will know him by (Deku).

I've never seen the deleted scenes. I might try to watch them sometime. I could like the longer ballscene since I felt like what's in the film is too short and the fact that she tried to reach out to the prince despite her predicament sounds like something I'd prefer.
I have not seen that show, but that idea sounds really cool.

My friend said, "It can't be midnight already!" when the clock chimed when we watched the movie together. I think keeping in the longer scene of Ella and Kit at the ball might have alleviated that problem. I wonder how you'd feel about that and the letter scene, too.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Disney Duster wrote: Is your favorite reviewer the one who called the film Blanderella? lol Because, it kind of is Blanderella, lol. But I still love the movie because it is a very grandiose staging of my favorite story, you know. I'm glad the scene wasn't so bad to you before.
Yeah, that was them. Tim Brayton. I got where I would read all his reviews because so often he would bull's-eye exactly how I'd feel about films so often, and he was a huge fan of hand-drawn animation as well. He used to have his own site, but then he joined a group review website. It was difficult to load and to navigate, so I haven't read anything of his in a long time, sadly. I should Google him to see if he's started a new site or anything.
I have not seen that show, but that idea sounds really cool.
Yeah... I like it for a lot of reasons. One of them is always that idea that things people intended as harm can be used by God for good. Villains always bring about their own downfall; if the stepmother had loved Cinderella, Cinderella would never have had to endure through trial and perhaps she wouldn't have become the person the prince would love. And of course if the stepmother had loved Cinderella and Cinderella had ended up with the prince anyway, the stepmother would be sitting pretty as part of a royal court.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It's pretty cool you have, or had, a reviewer who feels the same way about movies as you do. I am guessing Brayton loves The Little Mermaid, then! ;) Hey, maybe you could reach out to the guy for friendship, or more, if you're looking.

I think the Prince would love Cinderella no matter what happened to her, but you are definitely right about how if the stepmother had loved Cinderella, she'd be happy in the end, too.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney's Divinity wrote: I do think this version of the character is a little cheesy. I think Cinderella in the animated film comes across more educated and more dignified; Ella has more of a little girl quality to her. The moment of her dancing in the attic is the one my favorite reviewer really went bonkers over, which is why that scene always sticks out in my memory. :lol: I don't know, it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would when I watched it again.
I think I hate that moment because it is Cinderella we're talking about. I love the character and I hate how she gets bashed constantly for being passive and lazy when she's not. However, that brief moment makes it look like she is. Had it been Aurora or Snow White, I would be okay with it but I have a problem with it because it is Cinderella who has a clear history for being seen as a bad role model.
People who don't know the Disney animated version very well often forget or overlook the fact that she tries to fight back by trying to get out of the room. However, in this version, she doesn't try at all and that bothers me because it gives those same people more tools to destroy the character. As I mentioned in another post, one of the reasons I adore her character is because she has very sarcastic moments and is well aware of her step sisters foolishness but those moments are almost entirely erased in the remake.
Also, the way that scene is handled bothers me because the climax is toned down drastically. Cinderella is a fairy tale without monsters or witches so the tension that arise in the climax is quite important but it is toned down completely in the remake. There is no tension at all and that is a shame.

I'd like to mention that I do like this remake however just like all of them I have some big issues with it. I think I would have adored it if Kenneth had included all those deleted scenes that make not only the character of Cinderella a more rounded one but also the story flow a much stronger one.
It is quite unfair that Cinderella is the only remake that doesn't hit the two hour mark while pretty much all the others do.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok, I see why you don't like the scene. I still like it.

I think there is some tension in that the mice are not helping Cinderella escape and you wonder if she will die in that attic. But it's true that the original film did it with more tension and was better.

I don't mind the Cinderella remake not being 2 hours. I don't like movies that drag or feel bloated. I like getting to the meat of the story. Beauty and the Beast's remake felt bloated to me, and I didn't like that. Actually even Cinderella's remake is a little bloated as it is, even though I actually want the deleted scene of her and the prince falling further in love at the ball back in.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney Duster wrote:Ok, I see why you don't like the scene. I still like it.

I think there is some tension in that the mice are not helping Cinderella escape and you wonder if she will die in that attic. But it's true that the original film did it with more tension and was better.

I don't mind the Cinderella remake not being 2 hours. I don't like movies that drag or feel bloated. I like getting to the meat of the story. Beauty and the Beast's remake felt bloated to me, and I didn't like that. Actually even Cinderella's remake is a little bloated as it is, even though I actually want the deleted scene of her and the prince falling further in love at the ball back in.
You felt that the Beauty And The Beast remake was bloated because the new scenes were mostly useless and some of the characters were also useless such as that Cadenza dude. However, pretty much all of the deleted scenes from Cinderella would have added something to both the story and characters.. Also, for a Cinderella movie, we could have seen her working a little more and also have a few more moments of her being sad.
That's why I adore the scene where she crumbles when she smells her father's clothes. I also love the one of the step mother watching her in a very creepy way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMSQQ9lDUVU
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for posting that scene, because I forgot how good it is! It is really sad when Ella crumbles into her father's jacket. Also, I noticed this time she looks pissed off when her stepmother sells her father's things, and how she looks determined to at least get her toy back. That was a bit of character from Ella that would have been nice to see in the movie!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I just realized, Cinderella being trapped by her step family but overcoming them through her goodness really comes through in this movie. The Prince learns she's a good person in the forest and that's why he marries her and she gets a happily ever after. This rectified how in the original, we don't know if the Prince knows how good a person Cinderella is before he marries and saves her.

I watch this film a lot now actually, even if more for the story, costumes, sets, and special effects than the acting, but I love to put it on before bed. Not all the time, but often. And then last night I watched it just before watching the 1950 one, and boy was the 1950 one better. There's almost always something entertaining happening instead of long drawn out, often dull moments in the 2015 one. That said, the 2015 is still the definitive live-action Cinderella, even if Ever After is better. Ever After is not definitive Cinderella. Also, it's so cool 1950 and 2015 are almost anagrams! This movie is still a dream come true for me and I can't believe they made it like they did. I love it!
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Even though Ever After is a very good film, I don’t really consider it a Cinderella film because so many things that make the Cinderella story are erased in that version. It is still one of my favourite films nonetheless.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hmmm...I get what you're saying. Most people consider it an adaptation of Cinderella, including me, but I can see how you don't.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I rewatched the movie for the first time in 5 years. It makes me hope that Disney will treat the Snow White remake with the same respect and care they did with Cinderella. I loved how Lily James portrayed her, she had the same grace and sweet personality as the animated character. And I love that it has that fairy tale quality, and that it didn't try as hard to be realistic, as Beauty and the Beast. The only thing that would have made it perfect would have been some songs. I was expecting the characters to break out into song a few times in the movie.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I love what you said about Cinderella's remake, Sicoe Vlad! So, do you still think Beauty and the Beast was better? I hope they do Snow White just like they did Cinderella, too, except with the songs, of course, because they are going to include the songs. I actually like that Cinderella didn't use songs, just to make a really great straight version, but songs would have been great, too, so either way it would have been great.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Hey, Duster! :) Yes, I still think Beauty and the Beast is better, because it has the songs, but Cinderella is a close second, mainly because of Lily James' performance. It would have been so great to hear her perform a full version of "Sing, Sweet Nightingale", because the short version she performs in the movie is just lovely.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's true, it is lovely when she sings that. I can totally see why you love Beauty and the Beast most, it really was the remake closest to it's original in how they did it!
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I just realized that the climax of this film was practically copied on the one from the Goodtimes version in which Cinderella is saved because she starts singing and the whole house is listening to her.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, Goodtimes stole the opening storybook idea, and the "But i just finished..." "Well do it again!" exchange between Cinderella and her stepmother idea, the ball asking every eligible young woman to come idea, hell, even the basic bustles over pleats in the center front of skirts idea all from Walt Disney's Cinderella. Stories borrow from each other, especially Cinderella stories. Actually, I thought the 2015 Cinderella borrowed the idea of the Prince discovering the peasant girl by her singing from a tower from Rapunzel.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

That's why I used copied instead of stole.