Cinderella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Cinderella (Live-Action)

Post by Thumper_93 »

I don't agree with Sandy about Cinderella's gown color. It's not blue. It's silver and it looks blue when she's in scenes where there's no much light (in the garden for example).
The dress was made in blue because all the childrens think that Cinderella's gown is blue. You only have to compare the original colors of the dress that Sandy created (A lighter blue than the one that we see in the film) to realize that Disney try to made it as blue as posible.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

In early drafts of the script, the dress was silver. In the scene where Cinderella delivered her letter for Kit at the palace, she tells the guards at the gate something like “I was here last night. They call me the Mystery Princess. I was in a silver dress.” But maybe silver was just a placeholder in the script until the real dress was created.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Farerb, well, some people have said Cinderella's dress in the film is white, not silver. Of course they're wrong, lol, but still. I feel like Sandy could just have gone a long with saying it was blue because the general idea everyone has of the dress is that it is blue, but you could be right, maybe, even after watching the film, she really did think it was blue.

Yes, Thumper_93!

Tsom, wow, I didn't know about that! You know so much!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Lily posted a similar picture but a different pose.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEb-YdGJ93Q ... 2wgec8eqqi

I love that they are still friends!!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's so cute!!! I think their friendship really translated on screen and helped make them look like a very believable couple. It's rather amazing they still hang out and have fun today.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This was airing on Freeform the other day and I decided to give it another go, because it's been so long since I've seen it. Hard to believe it came out only five years ago, it feels much longer. I never hated the film, it was always more bleh for me. I think I was mostly disappointed because I had looked forward to it so much because of Blanchett's involvement. I did like the Stepmother in this version a *little* more this time around, although I still find her overall unsatisfying. They just bend the character in too many different directions. I'd rather she remained mostly bitter and dignified, and lost the more comical and borderline trashy moments (although a few of them made me laugh, like her putting Ella in her place while one of the stepsisters is singing horribly until Ella's out of the room and then telling the stepdaughter to shut up. :lol: And then hitting one of them on the head with her fan at the ball.) Still, I feel the same way as I always have that she's very well-dressed anyway. I particularly adore her final shot in the film when Ella says "I forgive you" and she's standing in the stairwell in the black and emerald dress. That was gorgeous.

What I will say is I can sort of empathize with the Stepmother's reason for acting the way she does towards Cinderella more than any other version. Others give you an explanation, Ever After in particular implies the stepmother hates Cinderella because she was closer to the father than the stepmother could ever be, but I guess it's a little lacking. Back to this version: When the Stepmother overhears Cinderella's conversation with the father, I can sort of understand how, if she was previously in love with some man that died unexpectedly and she's already grieving, and was forced to re-marry for financial reasons (since she had two daughters to take care of) how she probably felt left out in a way. Maybe initially she wasn't really in love with the father, but she was willing to give it a good shot since (as far as she knews) he cared about *her* at least--and maybe she thought she could grow to love him. But then she could have taken from that conversation (wrongly, but an understandable interpretation of their convo) that Cinderella's father only married her for *Ella's* sake, and that the two of them seemed resolved never to really love her (the Stepmother) the same way that he and Ella loved Ella's mother, that she would always be a step closed out and removed from them emotionally. And because of that she steeled herself to always keep Ella at a distance in a similar manner, to never really see her (or Cinderella's father) as true family the same way she thought they were doing to her. Then wrap all that up in a layer of jealousy over Cinderella being young and without burden (as compared to the Stepmother stuck with two daughters), and able to marry for love's sake instead of having to put reason and money first to provide for her daughters somehow. It doesn't make her any less a villain, but at least it gives a more reasonable interpretation of why the character acts the way she does--that part of her cruelty is merely taken her frustration and bitterness over her own situation out on an easy and vulnerable target.

I still love the part with the Fairy Godmother. That was one part of the film I always enjoyed and one aspect I forgot about that I liked was how she specifically uses her magic to make sure the stepfamily can't recognize her. That said, I hate the carriage and the dress transformation scene. I guess, like all the re-makes, it stands in the shadow of the animated film for me in some ways. The things I'm most attached to in the animated film are Cinderella herself, the Stepmother, the carriage, and the ballgown--so I guess it's no surprise those are the things I feel the most negative about here (the same way if you love something about one of the other animated films that have been re-made, you probably hate the re-make's lesser version of that part). The transformation is just pitiful, almost as bad as "Be Our Guest" in B&tB or "One Jump Ahead" in Aladdin (I'm referring to the remakes of course), as far as not living up to the animated moment at all. It probably could've never been *as* good as the original, but I'm sure 3D effects could've managed something much better than that. I tried to give Lily James more of a chance this time watching and I guess I'll never get it. Anyway, to the ballgown, again I still don't care for it. Like I said, it's probably an over-attachment to the animated film's version, because I hate how it's pulled down to show her shoulders, collarbone, and cleavage, and I always hated the little butterfly...whatever's. I'm not mad about the missing gloves or the missing headband--like Belle's gloves, those just never look too good in live-action. They come across cumbersome and stiff, unfortunately, so I don't mind them being lost for the re-make. Still, while I don't care that the hair's not the same, I don't really like the way they did do the hair here. To think of something positive to say, I did want to note that there are a couple of moments I like the dress--when the camera is very far off and above. For example, when she's first entering the palace and it kind of jiggles in a shimmery way. From a distance, it reminds me a great deal of Thumbelina's wedding dress from the Don Bluth film, which I always loved. It's just when the camera's closer, I don't really care for it.

I did notice they tried to make Cinderella more powerful here in some ways. The re-iteration of not only being kind but having courage at the beginning and end. And how they make her refuse her stepmother's manipulation at the end--possibly giving up both the opportunity to escape her sistuation and the chance to be with her lover forever--because she won't allow the stepmother to gain power and possibly hurt the kingdom. In other words, she won't allow the Stepmother to treat others the same way she's treated Ella; it's one thing to take it, but not be willing to let it happen to others. It's small, but it is something. I still feel like Cinderella here has less personality than the animated character though.

I still like the prince, still don't care for the king. I really did not like the ballroom, or the dance scene. The other people were *waaay* too close, imo. It really takes me out of the moment. Anyway, I can understand why it's loved, since I probably react differently to certain points than others would. I feel about it in a similar way to the Dumbo re-make, in that it doesn't inspire anger or anything like, say, the Mulan re-make, and it isn't actively awful at any point, but I'm not really tempted to return to it except after long periods.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

A lot of people feel the way they added depth and motivation to the Stepmother was one of the best things about the film and I agree. Cate Blanchett actually came up with the idea for her character to overhear the conversation between Ella and her father about their mother. You're thoughts on what was going on with the Stepmother are really smart. I felt let down by the pumpkin coach transformation, but I was always impressed by how creative and magical the dress transformation was. Her pink dress picking up the blue magic dust and then growing huge is really awesome to me. I wish we got the animated film's transformations copied exactly in live-action, but that of course is not a creative way to do it. I grew to love the ball dress, and I always loved Ella's ball hair. I was disappointed the ball room wasn't bigger, but I thought the dance was stunning. The way this Cinderella was written and acted was with less personality than the animated one, I agree.

Anyway, thanks for giving it another chance.

I always thought "Be Our Guest" in the live-action was amazing though!
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney Duster wrote:A lot of people feel the way they added depth and motivation to the Stepmother was one of the best things about the film and I agree. Cate Blanchett actually came up with the idea for her character to overhear the conversation between Ella and her father about their mother. You're thoughts on what was going on with the Stepmother are really smart.
I don't agree. I think the animated one is way more interesting as a character. She is way more calculating, passive aggressive, manipulative and just plain cruel. I love how she manipulates her daughters to destroy Cinderella's dress. She literally unleashes wild dogs on a poor girl while she watches without moving an inch. She uses her daughters's lack of intelligence to her advantage.

I also love the fact that to her, it's either the prince marries one of her daughters or no one. She has no intention of letting Cinderella be responsible for the family's happy ending. Unlike Cate's interpretation ,the animated stepmother's ego is way too strong to let the girl she humiliated be in charge of the family's fate.
Finally, there's a shot of her that always gives me chills, it's when the duke mentions that he will probably end up being decapitated for breaking the glass slipper. The camera cuts to the the stepmother who is literally smiling at the idea of him being killed.
Just that quick shot shows to the audience that she's capable of way more violence and cruelty than what we got to witness until that point.
Disney's Divinity

I agree, Lady Tremaine from the animated film is my favorite version of the Stepmother, followed by Anjelica Huston and then Bernadette Peters. If Cate's version retained a little more dignity, I think she could've cracked my top 3, since I love Blanchett in general. I just wanted to be positive and acknowledge that the explanation for her actions and how beautiful she is the whole film are the pros to this version of her (for me).
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hey! I never said Cate's version was better than Eleanor's!

I agree with you about why Eleanor's was better!

I only wonder if the stepmother is smiling because we never got to see her reaction to Cinderella losing yet or the Duke getting killed.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Well, either way it's messed up. Haha
She knows that she caused the slipper to break will have unimaginable consequences on the duke even if he doesn't get killed. The glass slipper is the only clue they have to find the woman that the prince is in love with so losing the slipper is basically canceling the wedding and all hope of ever finding her.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

True.

One interesting this also is that she has that same exact smile when Cinderella's father dies. Now, we could think it's just because even though she didn't want him to die, at least she's can look forward to running things the way she wants to and treat Cinderella horribly. But it also happens to be when some man dies. Coincidence?! :P
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Honestly, this Cinderella makes me happy any time I watch it. I largely credit this to Kenneth Branagh's direction, as he did such a beautiful job of bringing the world to life and depicting the magic and I think Patrick Doyle's wonderful score elevates it further. I think Branagh was clearly intent on creating a very sincere fairy tale and making something possibly reminiscent of the kinds of fantasy films he might have seen in his youth. I love seeing the relationship blossom between Cinderella and the prince and I think the movie makes my heart sour every time. It's a movie where you see the craft on display in every frame and all of the actors give outstanding performance. I also adore the main message of having "courage and being kind." I've seen this interpreted as sending the idea that you should be a doormat, but I disagree. I really admire Cinderella for those moments where she sticks up to Tremaine but without losing her moral code.

I actually don't have a preference for one Disney Cinderella over the other. I like both a lot for different reasons.

Interesting enough, I recently watched "Ever After" for the first time and I thought it was good, although it took me a while to get used to this interpretation of the story lacking magic. I also found the prince kind of a jerk at several points, so it was a bit difficult warming up to him. But the production is definitely well mounted and the actors are all very good. And I liked the touch of one of the step-sisters being sympathetic towards Cinderella and how the film pairs her up with the prince's coachman. I like that the step-sister eventually gets fed up herself of her mother's behaviour.

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming adaptation Sony is releasing. The main reason is because of Kay Cannon directing it and I will watch anything with her name on it, as I think she's a brilliantly talented director and writer.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

estefan wrote:I also adore the main message of having "courage and being kind." I've seen this interpreted as sending the idea that you should be a doormat, but I disagree. I really admire Cinderella for those moments where she sticks up to Tremaine but without losing her moral code.
On the contrary, I think that was put in there to try to make Cinderella seem like less of a doormat… I still think she’s more passive in this film than the original though, which is really remarkable considering there's a 65 year gap between the two versions.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

OMG YES estefan thank you for saying all that, I so agree!!!!

The craft is definitely on display in every frame of the whole film. I think the cinematography is beautiful and I'm actually surprised it, the production design, and the score didn't get Oscar nominations. The cast really is good, though I wish Lily James had put more personality in her Cinderella. Oh well, she still has a kind of ethereal sweetness that really is perfect for the character.

I'm glad you watched Ever After, but I am surprised you didn't think it was better than this movie. Even thoughI have a much deeper love for this movie, mainly for sticking to the original fairy tale, Ever After is more interesting and exciting to me. The prince is totally a jerk sometimes though lol.

I hope Sony's film delivers as I am excited for that one as well, especially with a brilliant comedic writer and director at it's helm...but I heard they are going to put some already-made music in it like "Single Ladies", when the announcement for the ball comes, and I consider that cheap and wrong to do.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disney Duster wrote: I hope Sony's film delivers as I am excited for that one as well, especially with a brilliant comedic writer and director at it's helm...but I heard they are going to put some already-made music in it like "Single Ladies", when the announcement for the ball comes, and I consider that cheap and wrong to do.
Omg, I didn’t know— it’s going to be a jukebox musical? I love that for her.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Actually "Single Ladies" will have new lyrics, and there are going to be at least some original songs. So it won't exactly be a jukebox musical. I don't know enough about it yet to really say any further.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney Duster wrote:OMG YES estefan thank you for saying all that, I so agree!!!!

The craft is definitely on display in every frame of the whole film. I think the cinematography is beautiful and I'm actually surprised it, the production design, and the score didn't get Oscar nominations. The cast really is good, though I wish Lily James had put more personality in her Cinderella. Oh well, she still has a kind of ethereal sweetness that really is perfect for the character.
The thing is she comes off as very cheesy sometimes while the animated one had the advantage of having some very sarcastic moments. For example, when I watched the remake in theatre, a child literally asked "What is she doing?!" when she started to dance in her room while the duke was downstairs.
At that moment, the character comes off as cheesy and almost dumb, especially when you compare it to the animated version.

However, her attitude does have a solid explanation but sadly those scenes were deleted which is insane to me. In a deleted scene, Ella writes a letter to the prince and asks him to meet her in the forrest but the duke gets ahold of that letter and burns it so the prince never makes it to the meeting and because he never shows up, Ella has no need nor desire to go downstairs to see who is there nor does she need to try on the slipper as she thinks the prince doesn't care anymore. However, because that scene was deleted, she just comes off as midly insane. :D

I even made this parody of that scene for those who want to laugh a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENhurJFVOc
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I disagree. I don't think she comes across as cheesy or dumb. I totally get why Cinderella is dancing. She's trying to make herself happy despite little hope of getting out of her situation. That has always been the biggest part of the Disney character, other than kindness.

Also, she does not think the Prince doesn't care. If the scene where the Prince doesn't come to meet her was not deleted and still in the movie, there still would have been the scene after that where the Prince (now King) proclaims his love for the princess with the glass slippers. Remember? She was there for that and rode home to get her slipper, and that's when the stepmother confronted her, holding the slipper in her hand.