Cinderella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Cinderella (Live-Action)

Post by Vlad »

Lily James and ABBA....the perfect combo :D

Yeah, I agree, it was a missed opportunity with Cinderella not being a musical. It was like you expected them to jump into song at certain scenes.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Lily James and ABBA....the perfect combo :D

Yeah, I agree, it was a missed opportunity with Cinderella not being a musical. It was like you expected them to jump into song at certain scenes.
Just out of curiosity, which scenes did you feel should have had songs or you expected musical numbers?
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

When they danced together at the ball, when she did her chores in the backyard (though she did hum “Sing, Sweet Nightingale” there), the finale. Those are the typical scenes in Disney movies in which you expect tne characters to start singing.

Do you agree? Did you have any others in mind?
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:When they danced together at the ball, when she did her chores in the backyard (though she did hum “Sing, Sweet Nightingale” there), the finale. Those are the typical scenes in Disney movies in which you expect tne characters to start singing.

Do you agree? Did you have any others in mind?
Thanks for answering my question! Just saw this. Yeah, I could definitely see songs being sung in the scenes you mention.

I could also see a bunch of Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella songs fitting into various scenes of this movie. For example, I Haven't Got a Worry in the World could be sung in the beginning when Young Ella and her father are dancing after he gives her the toy butterfly; In My Own Little Corner after Lady Tremaine banishes Cinderella to the attic; The Prince is Giving a Ball in the market scene when the ball is announced; Impossible/It's Possible for the transformation scenes; Ten Minutes Ago in the portrait gallery; Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful? in the swing scene; He Was Tall in the scene where Cinderella is walking home after the ball; When You're Driving Through the Moonlight/A Lovely Night in the scene where Cinderella and her step-family recount the events of the ball in the kitchen; A Lovely Night reprise in the attic when Ella is writing in her diary.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I liked reading both your guys ideas! I wish the film could have what I consider to be of the best Rodgers and Hammerstein or Disney songs, songs similar to "Do I Love You Because Your Beautiful?", "I Bring You a Song", or "Beauty and the Beast", personally.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I’m ashamed to say I have never seen the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical. I will definitely watch it soon. Which version would you recommend? I know there is one with Julie Andrews, and one with Whitney Huston as the Fairy Godmother, but that’s all I know.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, you've never seen it! I'm shocked! Well just a little. I like the original because it's the original, I like the 1965 version because of the acting and story, and I like the 1997 one because of the design, transformations, and fun. If you were only to see one, I recommend the 1965 one because I think it has the second best Cinderella acting performance I've ever seen. But some people find her too cloying or wimpy. I know tsom doesn't like her. I find her so sweet and endearing. But it's up to you! Oh, and by the way, Ursula is one of the stepsisters in that one!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I came across an interview with Sandy Powell about the costumes for this film. It's so long I haven't read it all yet, but there was a snippet of it I wanted to post quick. The full interview is from here.
THE FAIRY GODMOTHER COSTUME
It was an idea I had that was rather ambitious and to be honest. We didn’t have enough time to really develop it. It could have gone a lot further, and been a lot more success—not to say it wasn’t successful. I think the costume as a whole works in the film. But I had this mad idea that she actually literally twinkled, and all over. But in sequences and then sort of choreographed, we got the lighting designed. We got the lighting designed. We got all the circuits made up by this lighting company. But it took a lot longer than I expected. And then we couldn’t actually really construct the costume till we had the lights done. So we were waiting and waiting, waiting for the lights to be finished. We knew the shape of the costume. I had the corset. I had the underpinnings done like the corset shape. And then the cage. And we had all the fabric that needed to go on top of it. But that had to be worked in with the lights. So that costume actually ended up being really rather thrown together at the last minute. I kind of didn’t like it, it looks like it’s been thrown together. In a way, I think it’s quite funny that it looks like it’s been thrown together. It looks like she’s made it, you know, [LAUGHS] thrown it together. And the lights don’t work properly, really. It’s sort of like the magic doesn’t work that well the first time. I think, well actually it’s quite appropriate that it’s sort of lit up a bit. But then, and what happened was, the technician who designed it, it’s like four or five or six circuits of lights all lit. And she had to carry it, have a battery pack strapped underneath. And then each of those circuits had to be plugged into the battery pack to make it work. And this is when she had the guy up her skirt every day, and you couldn’t do that until she was in the dress. And then he would operate it from a computer. She’d be on the [set] it’s like he’d be sat here with the computer, sort of like turning the lights on and off. And in an ideal world we needed a lot longer to rehearse the scenes. And with the dialogue. And we didn’t have the luxury of that. So we kinda stood it a bit.
I really wondered for a long time why they said they had done the light-up fairy godmother dress and it seemed to not be in the film at all! So they sort of had it in but couldn't do it fully, I guess. I think that really sucks. All that hard work, all the discomfort of Helena having to wear the battery pack, and they couldn't do it properly. I think I saw her dress turn blue just as she waves her wand for Cinderella's transformation. If you look at the scene her dress looks blue and then turns white again. The transformations turned out to be one of the best parts of the movie, but sadly it could have been even more amazing. I really wish they had done it the way they wanted.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Japan is releasing a box set that includes both films on September 05, 2018.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Wish they used a better cover for the animated Cinderella. At least it gets disc art now. If I'm correct, Cinderella was the first Diamond Edition that stopped using disc art.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I love the cover for the animated Cinderella, personally. I was going to ask if that cover had been used before.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I was going to ask if that cover had been used before.
It was used on the Diamond edition DVD.

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'd buy it if it had gotten new cover art for the animated film. Thankfully I can save my money.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm not sure this is the right thread for this, but here it goes. On the episode titled "Witch Hunt" of the TV series "Legends of Tomorrow" (season 4, episode 2), they spoofed the Fairy Godmother from Disney's Cinderella. In this universe, the Fairy Godmother is a malevolent magical being that had been banished to hell but has now escaped and it's up to our heroes to take her back where she came from. She sings, references "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" and "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo", and complains about Cinderella.

There's a clip featuring her on YouTube but it's only of a small scene. I would recommend catching the entire episode, if you can. While I was watching it, I kept thinking "Duster would not approve of this!" :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I actually didn't mind it because I guess it's just some other take on the fairy godmother. And it was hilarious!!! "I didn't want her to stop singing." "If you send me to hell, she goes right down with me." :lol: I thought it was clever and I liked the singing. How do I watch the whole episode?

Fun fact: other than the fairy godmother's, the people's costumes are from the 17th century, when Cinderella was written!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I watched the whole episode online! It was awesome! I was hoping the godmother would become Constantine's godmother but it was interesting she would rather go to hell than do that. I wonder what could be worse than hell?! It was interesting Superman was on there (his actor)! I thought the godmother's actress was perfect for that take! Ruthless, magical, funny as hell!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm glad you liked it, Duster! :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yup I sure did, and thank you for telling us about it!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Soon after “Frozen” came the adaptation of “Cinderella,” the first of several planned live-action updates to older titles. These modern-day versions, employees say, forced Disney to look at its classic characters with fresh eyes.

The prince in the 1950 “Cinderella” original has only six lines of dialogue—two of which are, “Wait!” Chris Weitz, writer of the 2015 live-action version, wanted to deepen the prince’s character to make him “worth Cinderella’s attention.” He said, “Cinderella is, in a way, the most regressive fantasy of the Disney princess. If you were just to read it, it says what you need to save you is a handsome and wealthy man—who in fact she doesn’t know very well.”
Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/beauty-and ... 1542430801
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Chris Weitz really did help make a better character of the prince. Good job.

I don't know if Cinderella's the worst or Snow White, but yeah, I have that fantasy of wanting to be saved by some handsome rich guy. So is it regressive really? I also want the means to be rich on my own at the same time. Cinderella doesn't ever mean "only a man can support you!"