How to Train Your Dragon

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

If they're not going to call it How to Train Your Dragon 2, call it Dragons as Pets instead of simply Dragons.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm kind of glad for the title change. We've already learned how to train our dragons from the first.

That said, I was watching the first movie the other day and of course I loved it, but I'm not sure what story there's left to tell? I can't imagine any other dragon-related storyline that could happen.
The first movie is based on the first book in a book series and the series has Hiccup and Toothless going on more adventures.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Oh wow...I really liked the first one...for sure am gonna watch this one as well...when is it expected to be released?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

To be honest I feel "Dragons" is a better overall title, never really cared for the mouthful of the original one. Kung Fu Panda 2 turned out great and I'm hoping they can keep up the quality with this franchise as well.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

It appears the the poster at the Licencing Expo was promoting the series and not the sequel. The series is called "Dragons" and will be airing on CW this Fall. It appears that the whole franchise has been dubbed "Dragons" and the DTV follow-up shorts have been released using the "Dragons" logo.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Gotta <strike>catch</strike> train 'em all!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

enigmawing wrote:Gotta <strike>catch</strike> train 'em all!
:lol:
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Not "How to Train YOUR Dragon, TOO!"?
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Sky Syndrome wrote:If they're not going to call it How to Train Your Dragon 2, call it Dragons as Pets instead of simply Dragons.
I would've gone with "How To Train Your Dragon: Lesson 2" or "How To Train Your Dragon: The Second Lesson".
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

SO excited for both the sequel and the TV series. The first film completely changed my biased opinions against CG animation (my change of heart was confirmed with Tangled), and all the shorts that have come out since have been so much fun. I hope the visuals in the series are at least good, if not great.

Regarding the name... I too think they should drop "How to Train Your". I really think they ought to incorporate the book titles as subtitles or something for the films.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I am now placing bets on "How 2 Train Your Dragon."

Seriously though, I'd prefer this not to suck.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

How to Train Your Dragon 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Yeah, I know. Too obvious.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I hope the series turns out better than the underwhelming Kung Fu Panda series. The episode stories are cliched "lesson-of-the-week" types and the animation is incredibly downgraded to the point of distraction. That said, Po's voice-actor sounds exactly like Jack Black.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

estefan wrote:I hope the series turns out better than the underwhelming Kung Fu Panda series. The episode stories are cliched "lesson-of-the-week" types and the animation is incredibly downgraded to the point of distraction. That said, Po's voice-actor sounds exactly like Jack Black.
It isn't Jack Black?? Hahah when I first heard I thought "Oh well this is just a series it can't be him." But then I would have put money on it that it was him it sounds so much like him.

And while I agree that I hope Dragons is better than the Panda series, I still think Panda is one of the better series on TV right now. Yeah, the animation isn't great but it could certainly be a lot worse I think. I don't find it distracting.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I'm not sure whether to get optimistic about this or not. The first film was so good that the purist in me says there shouldn't be a sequel (it was obviously inevitable though) but if the script is good enough...
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Why do we even need a TV series? The movie should have a decent title (but more importantly, a decent script).
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

PixarFan2006 wrote:Why do we even need a TV series?
Because the franchise is extremely popular and there is just so many directions you can go in a world like the one that has been established. Someone mentioned that after the first film they can't see what more of a story is left to tell, but I can see SO MUCH story that is left to tell. I mean, they just learned that it's possible to train dragons. But there are god only knows how many kinds of dragons out there, each with a different training technique. I'm sure there could be more creatures such as the giant huge thing in the first film that could cause problems. There's just so much they could do with the franchise in my opinion.

This is like Pirates of the Caribbean for me - many will complain about "enough already!" but for me they can just keep making them as long as they want, and I will be happy to keep watching.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

How to Train Your Dragon 2

Post by disneyboy20022 »

The first teaser trailer for How to Train your dragon 2 has hit the web. It comes out in 2014

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwtdJwjQbLM[/youtube]
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: How to Train Your Dragon 2 Trailer 2014

Post by PatrickvD »

The last shot was awkward.

I get it, he's older now. But there's no sentimental attachment to him like to Andy or something. So while that shot will be great in the film, it was kind of silly to this amazing trailer with.
frankf3
Gold Classic Collection

Post by frankf3 »

PatrickvD wrote:The last shot was awkward.

I get it, he's older now. But there's no sentimental attachment to him like to Andy or something. So while that shot will be great in the film, it was kind of silly to this amazing trailer with.
I like the idea of Hiccup and the characters aging. You rarely see animated character age in movies. I saw the last trailer as more of a reveal and a "tease" of what's to come.

Also, I really shouldn't bring up this up, but marketing might have had some play into this idea too. In recent years, Dreamworks has had their main teen male characters look "attractive" to appeal to the teen girls. We saw that with Jack Frost, Guy, and even the Once-Ler in the Lorax *see tumblr and deviantART*
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

PatrickvD wrote:But there's no sentimental attachment to him like to Andy or something.
There are hundreds of fans on Tumblr who feel otherwise. :lol: