All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I guess I was most wondering if the extended stuff will be on DVD, not just Blu-ray, and I just checked on Amazon, and it will be. (But ugh at having to change the discs because of the length... :roll:) The track that takes out the bad language is just optional, right???
It's as optional as any other extra audio tracks are. Put it on, don't put it on, it's your call. But that's the point, it's YOUR call.

I for one am both amazing and excited about it! I'm not sure where it came from or how it got there, but I hope we see more of this. I've been working on petitions, letters and whatever else for stuff like this, and it gets REALLY discouraging at times how stubborn people are, and what an up hill fight it is. So to have something like this happen anyway really lifts my spirits! :D I'm excited that people have more options and choices in their entertainment then less, like is normally the case.

As far as the film itself goes, I wasn't going to see it when it came out, but my then fiance wanted to see it, so I went along. The first, say, 45 minutes or so, sucked. But, about the time Jake started staying in his Avatar body and interacted with the Nav'i more, I really liked it. It was very well done and I was interested in owning the film. I was wise to hold out when it first was released for this 3 disc set. I HATE double dipping.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I know this should probably go in the regular Avatar thread, but I'm too lazy to look it up ( :P ). Anyway, we talked about the film in my English class and my professor told us that it was a complete rehash of Pocahontas. I thought it was funny that she made the comparison because all of us made that comparison, too. I don't really like that professor but for that minute or two she was talking about Pocahontas, she seemed okay.

PS: I won't be buying this. I hated the first hour and I have no clue if it got better or not. I guess if I wanted to watch Avatar I could just watch Pocahontas instead.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I just read that the new Blu-Ray of Avatar is going to have a family-friendly audio track with all of the profanity taken out. Is it really necessary? After all, I'm pretty sure a large part of why the film made over $2 billion is because almost everybody went to see it, including children.

That said, there is somebody on this forum, who is going to be very happy that they've included the in-flight version. :wink:
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

estefan wrote:I just read that the new Blu-Ray of Avatar is going to have a family-friendly audio track with all of the profanity taken out. Is it really necessary? After all, I'm pretty sure a large part of why the film made over $2 billion is because almost everybody went to see it, including children.

That said, there is somebody on this forum, who is going to be very happy that they've included the in-flight version. :wink:
I can't even remember any profanity used in the movie, but I've probably been desensitized by all the foul language I heard in my youth :D. Perhaps more important is that James Cameron himself confirmed that after next year's 3D Blu-ray, there won't be another release of the movie. Hard to believe, especially when there are sequels coming, but there it is.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

James Cameron Updates on Avatar Sequels
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70922

The novel sounds pretty great...!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Matt wrote:What is the difference between the versions though? I dont get it? :?
I just told you in the post above yours. the 16 minutes extra are exclusive to DVD/Blu, while the 9 minutes extra cut was released in IMAX this summer.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

The family friendly track is probably added more for classroom viewing. Though I don't believe this movie is the best example of basic human exploration and history. I think documentaries on the actual events would be better. But that means teaching kids chistopher Columbus was a slave trader, racist, and far from ther heroic peacekeeper taught currently. I think Cameron is hoping his movie is used to teach kids about what happened in history by using his movie as the metaphor.

Frankly I think the whole family friendly track is bs :P
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Got my copy of Avatar - 3-Disc Special Edition on Blu-ray and I will tell all of those naysayers out there, that James Cameron is a genius when it comes to making movies.

He showed it in "The Terminator", "Aliens", hit the jackpot with "Titanic", and then raised the bar really high with "Avatar".

Three different cuts of the movie, including the Theatrical version, and the version with the Alternate Opening, which by far is my favorite so far. Going to get into watching the extras later today, but for now I am going to rewatch this fantastic film.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I got the blu ray set today. Some great scenes were deleted that explained more about the characters and story as well as the culture. The making of documentary has been great thus far. Have to finish later after work
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Just finished watching the deleted scenes portion of disc two of the new 3-disc "Avatar" collections Wow!!! Well over an hour of deleted scenes, some of which were extended scenes, but for the most part none of them would have added any more to the movie had they been finished. But a big Wow!! anyway because they are included here in this fantastic (so far) release.

The "Capturing Avatar" documentary is mind-boggling as to how long they have been actually planning and working on the movie. How they had to barter with Fox to get them to front the money just to research how they wanted to capture the story on film. At one point James Cameron says that it took from spring of 2005 to summer of 2007 just to get the motion capture down to more than just a science. Fascinating stuff for junkies like myself who really want to know how this stuff was done.

I can tell you that the 3-hour version of the film is, by far, my favorite cut of the movie. More depth to the characters, and the alternate opening is really what sets the whole thing up. Not one dragging minute to this film. Now I can see why James Cameron thinks that he gave away the Oscar when he decided to release the 'quickly' edited version of the film to the general public, instead of sticking to his guns and keeping the film the way he wanted it.

Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I personally like James Cameron speaking a bit about the internet backlash. People comparing it to Thundercats, Smurfs, and Ferngully. And the criticism of the attack on war and big business. Kinda a very subtle "it was highly successful anyways, up yours" feel to it, lol.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Siren wrote:I personally like James Cameron speaking a bit about the internet backlash. People comparing it to Thundercats, Smurfs, and Ferngully. And the criticism of the attack on war and big business. Kinda a very subtle "it was highly successful anyways, up yours" feel to it, lol.
Seems James forgot to mention Disney's Pocahoantas or he left that one out as well as Dances with Wolves :P

All in all it's a good movie and enjoyable, though I didn't see it in 3D. Mainly due to lack of money or the theater is too far away and to get gas for the car requires money which it didn't work out.....oh well life goes on
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
Siren wrote:I personally like James Cameron speaking a bit about the internet backlash. People comparing it to Thundercats, Smurfs, and Ferngully. And the criticism of the attack on war and big business. Kinda a very subtle "it was highly successful anyways, up yours" feel to it, lol.
Seems James forgot to mention Disney's Pocahoantas or he left that one out as well as Dances with Wolves :P

All in all it's a good movie and enjoyable, though I didn't see it in 3D. Mainly due to lack of money or the theater is too far away and to get gas for the car requires money which it didn't work out.....oh well life goes on
Actually, he did. He mentioned the basic story line is based on the early dealings between settlers and the natives. In a segment about dams being built in South America, he talked again about how the story of Avatar and what is going on RIGHT NOW, are interconnected.

People just see the love story and that's it. Its ripping off Pocahontas, but its so much more than a love story. I think James Cameron went through great lengths to try and show people they need to stop looking at the movie as just the story of Pocahontas and start seeing for what it is. Its about the modern world destroying the indigenous cultures. Jake and Neytiri's love is really, secondary. Whether or not they ever met, the war would have happened. And if they never fell in love, it was Jake's resilience and Eywa listening for his plea for help that is what turned the tide for them to win. But if you take out the love story, it would still make for a great war story. If you took out the war, and only had the love story, well I doubt it would have been quite as good a story.

I watched a documentary a few years ago and something like over 80% (maybe it was 90%) of languages and cultures have been lost. All because of modern encroachment into long standing cultures. In the special on the Avatar dvd, it showed up many tribes, who use to war with one another have come together for a tribal meeting to talk about how they can stop the dams from being built. They will lose their land, hunting grounds, everything. They have been offered to be moved to the towns and cities. In the past, when this is done, the people lose their way of life...instead of living off the land, they now need money to pay for rent, food, etc. Which means they must get jobs, which also means they must learn new languages and often times, this is how their languages and traditions are then lost. Generation after generation they lose a little more.

In the movie, neighboring tribes banded together. There is no telling if they previously warred with eachother or not, but looking at the worldwide history on Earth, its likely they did, since they needed the same resources. But they had a common enemy. If the humans took over one tribe, they'd take over another, and another. So they banded together to fight a common enemy.

Cameron is trying to get people away from the whole "its just a love story" and show people this is happening now, here on Earth, and few people know about it. History is repeating itself. We did it to African tribes, North American tribes, and to this day, we can't learn from past mistakes.

In the documentary, Cameron compared the modern world to a snake. When a snake catches its prey, is coils around it, every time the prey breaths, the snake squeezes harder, till the prey runs out of breath and suffocates.
One of the chiefs of the tribes replied, "We have a lot of breath."
The tribes are willing to have a war against those who will build the dam.

I think people need to watch that documentary and understand just what Avatar is really about.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

disneyboy20022 wrote:

He pitched it to the 20th Century Fox executives as 'FernGully meets Pocahontas in space', so I'm sure he's aware of the similarities.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Siren wrote:
disneyboy20022 wrote: Seems James forgot to mention Disney's Pocahoantas or he left that one out as well as Dances with Wolves :P

Actually, he did. He mentioned the basic story line is based on the early dealings between settlers and the natives. In a segment about dams being built in South America, he talked again about how the story of Avatar and what is going on RIGHT NOW, are interconnected.

People just see the love story and that's it. Its ripping off Pocahontas, but its so much more than a love story. I think James Cameron went through great lengths to try and show people they need to stop looking at the movie as just the story of Pocahontas and start seeing for what it is. Its about the modern world destroying the indigenous cultures. Jake and Neytiri's love is really, secondary. Whether or not they ever met, the war would have happened. And if they never fell in love, it was Jake's resilience and Eywa listening for his plea for help that is what turned the tide for them to win. But if you take out the love story, it would still make for a great war story. If you took out the war, and only had the love story, well I doubt it would have been quite as good a story.

I watched a documentary a few years ago and something like over 80% (maybe it was 90%) of languages and cultures have been lost. All because of modern encroachment into long standing cultures. In the special on the Avatar dvd, it showed up many tribes, who use to war with one another have come together for a tribal meeting to talk about how they can stop the dams from being built. They will lose their land, hunting grounds, everything. They have been offered to be moved to the towns and cities. In the past, when this is done, the people lose their way of life...instead of living off the land, they now need money to pay for rent, food, etc. Which means they must get jobs, which also means they must learn new languages and often times, this is how their languages and traditions are then lost. Generation after generation they lose a little more.

In the movie, neighboring tribes banded together. There is no telling if they previously warred with eachother or not, but looking at the worldwide history on Earth, its likely they did, since they needed the same resources. But they had a common enemy. If the humans took over one tribe, they'd take over another, and another. So they banded

together to fight a common enemy.

Cameron is trying to get people away from the whole "its just a love story" and show people this is happening now, here on Earth, and few people know about it. History is repeating itself. We did it to African tribes, North American tribes, and to this day, we can't learn from past mistakes.

In the documentary, Cameron compared the modern world to a snake. When a snake catches its prey, is coils around it, every time the prey breaths, the snake squeezes harder, till the prey runs out of breath and suffocates.
One of the chiefs of the tribes replied, "We have a lot of breath."
The tribes are willing to have a war against those who will build the dam.

I think people need to watch that documentary and understand just what Avatar is really about.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I bought the 3-Disc Avatar Blu-Ray yesterday. I watched the theatrical version and thought it was kind of good (though I still find it somewhat overrated). I do not know when I will watch the other editions (I am a little worried about doing so because Disc 2 has a small scratch on it).
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I thought all three versions of the film are one disc. Or is it only the Blu-ray that does it that way? Anyway, if you see a scratch, take it back, get another one, we can't do anything about it here.

You should watch the 3-hour Director's edition, now that you have watched the Theatrical version, and you will notice a lot of depth of characters and the story makes a lot more sense.

PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

dvdjunkie wrote:I thought all three versions of the film are one disc. Or is it only the Blu-ray that does it that way? Anyway, if you see a scratch, take it back, get another one, we can't do anything about it here.

You should watch the 3-hour Director's edition, now that you have watched the Theatrical version, and you will notice a lot of depth of characters and the story makes a lot more sense.

You're right. All three versions of the film are on the same disc. That, I am relieved about. I just hope the features work fine. I do not want to risk taking it back and getting a copy where the first disc is scratched.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Is this a standard DVD or Blu-ray version. Because I know that Blu-rays are scratch-resistant to a point.

When you take it back and get it replaced, you should be allowed to open the set before you leave and make sure that it meets your specifications.

dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

If you haven't read the UD Review of "AVATAR Collector's Edition" on Blu-ray and DVD, the person who did the reviews sounds like the person who saw the movie once and then is just reading the back of the box to make his review.

Several wrong comments about what is on each disc is the first thing that jump out at me. He says that the three movies are spread over two discs. Now since I only own the Blu-ray, I can tell you that they are all on ONE disc.

He says that the special features are "nothing special" compared to the rest of the package. I find this to be very misleading. There are over an hour and a half of deleted scenes which you can toggle through and watch with motion capture PIP, or the way they were shot through the motion capture mode, or the way they would look on the finished film. Then there is the almost two hours of "Making of" documentary and then the "Message from Pandora" documentary that a lot of people are talking about. These are all on the second disc of the Blu-ray.

On Disc three there are some very interesting "Deconstructing Avatar" featurettes, including scene by scene, set design, production struggles, music, and so much more. There are what James Cameron calls the "Avatar Archives", which are a lot of behind the scenes things that started almost 10 years ago. And then, of course, we get to the BD Live stuff, and I won't get into that now.

My feelings are that when a person reviews a product he should watch the entire product and not "read from the back of the box". He should take the time to sit back and watch each and every minute of the films, the special features, the documentaries, etc. I feel very cheated by reviews such as this, and hope that Luke is more careful with who he lets review products for the UD library.