All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

If you haven't seen Avatar: The Special Edition in the theaters, you are really missing something. True not a lot is changed by the added footage, but it just shows the genius of James Cameron. He is really thorough when he makes a movie and leaves no stone unturned.

Also have you read about the box-office drops in 3-D and they might be looking at discontinuing the 3-D version of movies in the next few months.

That's why I am in no hurry to get into the 3-D debacle. Just sure as a person invests the hundreds of dollars into this format, it will be discontinued. For now, I am truly happy with the Blu-ray format and will continue to make my new purchases in this format.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

To be honest, I don't think Step Up 3D, Cats & Dogs and Piranha 3D were ever destined to be big hits. Neither will the upcoming Alpha and Omega, which will also be in 3D.

I expect Harry Potter, Tron: Legacy and The Chronicles of Narnia to be major hits. I think the real tests for 3D are Legend of the Guardians, Tangled and Yogi Bear. Those are three films that could either be big hits or major bombs.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Those films you noted - Harry Potter, Tron, et al - are going to be hits anyway with or without the 3-D process. I personally don't like paying the extra money for the 3-D movies, but there was a big article in Variety magazine about the drop in box-office attendance at 3-D movies.

They also noted the lack of interest in 3-D television programs and even big networks like ABC, CBS and NBC are stepping back and taking a good look at whether or not 3-D is here to stay.

The Three-Dimension process in movies has been around since the 1950s, and has always caused a big splash for a few months and then the novelty wore off and they quit making 3-D movies. We are at that point again, where the novelty is now wearing off, and people just want to see good entertaining movies with good stories and good acting and not excuses to throw a bucket of water in your face, or aim something at the screen.

Just take the same stance as Hollywood is, step back and see if what is going on is for real or is it a novelty that will soon pass.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

Just like any process, it has to be actually be used in order to be successful. All of those converted features don't really help. What Hollywood needs is a movie, shot in 3D, but completely different from Avatar to let them see what can actually be accomplished in the format.
Just like when The Dark Knight was shot in IMAX, there was a lot of talk about doing other features in IMAX as well? In fact, the only one that actually was made was Transformers 2. The rest were blow-ups.
In order to make 3D successful, Hollywood needs to keep making movies in actual 3D. It's that simple, I think.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

KubrickFan wrote:Just like any process, it has to be actually be used in order to be successful. All of those converted features don't really help. What Hollywood needs is a movie, shot in 3D, but completely different from Avatar to let them see what can actually be accomplished in the format.
Like Martin Scorsese's upcoming 3-D movie, which is being shot in 3-D, for instance?

And though it's using Avatar's technology, The Adventures of Tintin could also work?
nilyvn

Post by nilyvn »

Hi,
It is great for the movie to watch Avatar in 3-D. Avatar is an incredible fantasy about an amazing reality. I have heard so many things about it, from many people. The reason for that I believe is that the message in the movie was so subtle, it allowed each one of us to interpret it depending on where we are on our journey of evolution. The moral of the story was that good always prevails. The energy of good is always more powerful than the energy of bad. If we thought better of ourselves, we would always be in the energy of good. In the energy of good, we would know that our earth provides abundance for all.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

estefan wrote:
KubrickFan wrote:Just like any process, it has to be actually be used in order to be successful. All of those converted features don't really help. What Hollywood needs is a movie, shot in 3D, but completely different from Avatar to let them see what can actually be accomplished in the format.
Like Martin Scorsese's upcoming 3-D movie, which is being shot in 3-D, for instance?

And though it's using Avatar's technology, The Adventures of Tintin could also work?
I knew that Martin Scorsese was interested in shooting 3D, but didn't know he was already doing it. Thanks for that.
And Tintin is motion captured completely, so it's obviously not shot in 3D. Nevertheless, it will work, just like any other movie that's completely CG.
nilyvn wrote:Hi,
It is great for the movie to watch Avatar in 3-D. Avatar is an incredible fantasy about an amazing reality. I have heard so many things about it, from many people. The reason for that I believe is that the message in the movie was so subtle, it allowed each one of us to interpret it depending on where we are on our journey of evolution. The moral of the story was that good always prevails. The energy of good is always more powerful than the energy of bad. If we thought better of ourselves, we would always be in the energy of good. In the energy of good, we would know that our earth provides abundance for all.
You really think the story was subtle? You're probably the first one to mention that. I hated the movie because it was so completely predictable and unsubtle, that it seemed like it was written by a 5-year old. Anyway, different strokes for different folks, I guess.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

KubrickFan wrote:
nilyvn wrote:Hi,
You really think the story was subtle? You're probably the first one to mention that. I hated the movie because it was so completely predictable and unsubtle, that it seemed like it was written by a 5-year old. Anyway, different strokes for different folks, I guess.
I think that post is spam as evidenced by the two links written at the bottom, not to mention the robotic writing style.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

KubrickFan wrote:
That's how I felt.

But I didn't really hate it. I enjoyed it for the graphics. And maybe the sequel will improve on it (although I wish that Sigourney Weaver's character hadn't died).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Avatar: Extended Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I am sorry, but I do not really see the appeal of this movie aside from it being eye candy.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

To quote a prolific member of these forums, "I'm buying!"

:P

I didn't purchase the single disc BD in anticipation of such a release, anyway. But I have to ask, what's up with the "family audio track with all objectionable language removed"? Really? That is completely necessary? Wow...
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

If the "family audio track" is done correctly as was the one in "Crank", then you won't even notice. There are some people who object to swear words over and above the "hell" and "damn" that even get by in some "G" rated movies. If you have little kids in the family and you want them to watch the movie with you, then the family friendly track is the one to share so the little ones don't let go with a foul epithet at inopportune times.

I personally don't understand why people like movies just because of the "dirty" language. Movies like "Superbad" and other Judd Aptow films will never be in my collection because of their blantant use of language that I find objectionable. That is my own choice.

And I will buy this "Special Collector's Edition" of Avatar, because I don't think we will ever see a movie that is this complete as far as the use of the mixture of CGI and live action goes. It is truly amazing to watch all of the actors interacting with things that were added on later, but it appears that they were there when it was filmed.James Cameron spent several years on the development of this film before ever getting it before the cameras and it shows. There will be a lot of pretenders and wannabe's, but no one will equal "Avatar" as it was presented to us in the movie theater.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

because I enjoyed the movie and because I'm fascinated with CGI, I'll be getting this for Christmas.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Maybe it's because I'm tired, but I'm really confused. Is this in edition to just the extended cut? You can buy the extended cut, and then this 3-disc set with lots of extra stuff?

Will any of the new stuff on the 3-disc set be on DVD, too?
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

There is no extended cut of this film currently in release on DVD or Blu-ray. So to answer your question this will feature 3 versions of the film - Theatrical Version, Special Edition and Extended Version plus there will be a feature-length "Making of" on Disc Two and it is well over the two-hour mark in length.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I guess I was most wondering if the extended stuff will be on DVD, not just Blu-ray, and I just checked on Amazon, and it will be. (But ugh at having to change the discs because of the length... :roll:) The track that takes out the bad language is just optional, right???
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Well, for those who are wondering, "Special Edition" is another extended cut, with 9 minutes of extra footage instead of 16. It's the cut that was made for the summer IMAX rerelease.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

What is the difference between the versions though? I dont get it? :?