The Princess and the Frog Discussion - Part III

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Which is your favorite PatF character?

Princess Tiana
27%
Prince Naveen
11%
Dr. Facilier
19%
Mama Odie
4%
Eudora & James (Tiana's parents)
1%
Charlotte La Bouff
18%
Eli "Big Daddy" La Bouff (Charlotte's father)
1%
Ray (the firefly)
8%
Louis (the alligator)
11%
Other (say which)
2%

Total votes: 177

Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Princess and the Frog Discussion - Part III

Post by Disney Duster »

The Disney Store is releasing a doll of Tiana in a special version of her blue princess costume for the 10th anniversary. I think it's very pretty!:
Tiana Limited Edition Doll
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

In swedish Louis the alliagtor is voiced by Jan åstrom who played Inspector Javert in the first swedish production who Les Miserables, Åström also voiced other Disney roles in swedish like Undertow in The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea and Baloo in the 1998 stragiht toi dvd live action movie The Jungle Book: Mowgli's Story :)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:5 Facts Every Fan of The Princess and the Frog Should Know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpBjBODJzYw
Yes, it's hard to believe it's been nearly eleven years now since it was released. Time flies. I'm not surprised L&tT was used for the design of Charlotte's neighborhood, something about it always felt similar to the look of L&tT. Never would've guessed they used Bambi for reference though. I never knew Terrence Howard voiced Tiana's father. I guess because he had so few lines, I never thought to look at who did the role. I wouldn't have guessed because he sounds really warm as her father; most of his other roles tend to be mean characters, or is it just me?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Yes, it's hard to believe it's been nearly eleven years now since it was released. Time flies.
It does, huh? Yes, it's hard to believe that it's going to be eleven years. The world was a different place and Disney was a different company. They were slightly beginning to restore their reputation again after their ongoing dud-stamp. And it was uncertain if hand drawn animation could have a future and the buzz regarding the name change of Rapunzel made Disney fans furious. And Disney Channel franchises were facing a huge overexposure, making Disney synonymous with those properties, anyways.
I'm not surprised L&tT was used for the design of Charlotte's neighborhood, something about it always felt similar to the look of L&tT. Never would've guessed they used Bambi for reference though.
To be honest, it was way easier to see the Lady & The Tramp influence than it was to see the Bambi influence. To be honest, very little of the bayou seemed like it was inspired from Bambi. Which is pretty much what could be said about the forest in Beauty and the Beast as well, where they also used Bambi for reference. And yes, I know I may seem as biased, but it's always irked me how the crew from some features claimed to use Bambi as a reference, while the outcome haven't been clear enough (I have a soft spot for Bambi, nonetheless, since it was one of my true favorites from Walt during my childhood). The only exception is The Fox and the Hound, though. And while that forest may not be identical, at least it comes close to resemble the forest from Bambi. But Hound has always been a new version of Bambi, nonetheless.
Disney's Divinity

I suppose they must reference Bambi in vague ways, maybe look to it in how the animals should move or the way leaves/trees look during rainfall or something random like that. Bambi does look very realistic, so maybe artists sometimes use it for reference on basic things like that instead of simply going out and sitting in the woods. :lol:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

What I meant was the visuals rather than the characters.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

My favorite character in the movie is Charlotte , she so happy bubbly and optimistic and a dreamer !! :D :D :D

Little wonder Jennifer Cody won the Annie Award for Voice Acting in a Feature Production for her performance :D :D :) :) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This tumbler post made me lover even more !!

https://demigaygal.tumblr.com/post/6159 ... -bouff-the :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Charlotte La Bouff is SO WONDERFUL, i actually like her more than Tiana.

Tiana seems like a bit of buzzkill to be honest ! :(
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I love Charlotte the most in this movie, too. I feel Tiana is a buzzkill as well lol.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Princess and the Frog Side by Side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JivLj0Btso

I'm amazed at how close the "Almost There" special animation style matches from animatic to final! (I mean I know it's supposed to match, but the in-color animatics in this video show that the animation style matches well, the art style does...I don't know exactly how to word it!)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, that was so cool! And I get what you are saying Amy, and I totally agree! I may think Tiana is a buzzkill but in that song she's so fun!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Tiana’s not a buzzkill. She just needed to learn to stop and enjoy life and that there’s more to life than just working all the time and she did learn to do those things. It’s part of her character development.
Disney's Divinity

I agree, DisneyJedi, but that’s just me. Tiana was laser-focused on working because that’s what she thought she had to do to get anything she wanted in this world. In comparison, Charlotte grew up getting anything and everything she wanted and never had to work for anything. She’s actually similar to Naveen that way. Whereas Tiana had more in common with Facilier, always having to struggle to have anything… (And trying not to be bitter or cynical about it.) I find that to be the case with a lot of Musker & Clements hero-villain dynamics, they all have major things in common with a key, defining difference. Anyway, I always saw Charlotte and Tiana have a similar dynamic to Bagheera and Baloo (or a grasshopper and the ant type deal). I love both Tiana and Charlotte myself… *shrug*

I remember writing at the time the film released how I thought Charlotte was an example of how the film broke from the Renaissance mold because Charlotte was always supportive of Tiana. When I first watched the film, I expected Charlotte to get angry at Tiana at the party when she found her lying on the ground with the table of beignets overturned ("How dare you embarrass me in front of the prince?"), similar to how the surrounding characters always treat the protagonists badly in an OTT preachy way in Pocahontas through Tarzan. Those films always way overdid it when they were trying to re-create the outcast angle found in Aladdin and The Little Mermaid. Instead Charlotte stops everything she’s doing to go comfort Tiana.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Maybe the next time I watch the film, for whatever reason, my feelings on her will change, but for now in my mind I just feel like "buzzkill". I appreciate your explanation why she isn't, though.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Disney Duster wrote:Maybe the next time I watch the film, for whatever reason, my feelings on her will change, but for now in my mind I just feel like "buzzkill". I appreciate your explanation why she isn't, though.

I love that Disney Duster i and i think so much alike,
:) :)
They(Disney Duster) seem very nice ! :) :)
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

Did Disney ever redraw Tiana in Ralph breaks the Internet?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indy10 ... 2521%3famp
blackcauldron85

Yes; I just made a basic comparison:
https://i.imgur.com/QbyRt2F.png

(The 2nd column top pic was from a GIF on Google search, but the other 2 images (highlighted and in red) are movie clips/screenshots...)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Storytime with Anika Noni Rose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1wePprAw0E
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

^ That was my favorite of all the stories so far!! I got a warm feeling when she read in Tiana's voice, but when she spoke for the other characters- it was great! So enjoyable. And I liked the story, too.
Disney's Divinity

blackcauldron85 wrote:Yes; I just made a basic comparison:
https://i.imgur.com/QbyRt2F.png

(The 2nd column top pic was from a GIF on Google search, but the other 2 images (highlighted and in red) are movie clips/screenshots...)
Ah, the Wrecked Princesses. I still wish the WP film had panned out. If nothing else but to get a Menken soundtrack with them all together...